Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-11-2014, 09:36 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvMyThesaurus (View Post)
Lemon thanks for filling in next week while Ice is busy (we'll miss you Ice)!

Seriously, I'm so weird about the lovely covers you made me. I already thought I'd gotten them from you...this is what happens when you exist on 2-3 hours of sleep for days on end. My mind is a confuddled place.

It's not a problem about the songs. I haven't had much time to check the site in the last couple days. And I don't need credit, as I was just trying to contribute...and I was bored (just trying to be truthful), haha. I mean, you can if you want, but tis not necessary.
Thanks...I'm going to miss you guys too! And yes, a huge thank you goes out to Lemon for helping out soooo much

And yeah, whenever someone gave us a song we could use, we gave them a little nod...
Old 11-11-2014, 09:57 PM
Loyal Fan

Lemon and Icicle, I've PM'd you both!

Thanks for another good week at BC...I really enjoy reading everyone's thoughts on the stories. Talking about Bass and Charlie, and Charloe fic never gets old!
Old 11-18-2014, 07:07 PM
Loyal Fan

Going to wait a few more minutes to get started. We'll let people get a chance to sign on...
Old 11-18-2014, 07:14 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonSupreme (View Post)
Going to wait a few more minutes to get started. We'll let people get a chance to sign on...
Sure thing Lemon.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Hey there I have had a crazy week and not done reading yet I'm going to try and finish while everyone else is posting. Hopefully I will have something ready before book club is over.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:19 PM
Loyal Fan

Welcome Book Clubbers!!! I’ll be filling in for Ice this week as moderator or whatever her title is… while she is off watching Billy Burke in the stage production of Ghost Brothers. I’m sure she’s having a fabulous time, but of course we miss her. Hopefully I won’t screw anything up too badly as I sub. We shall see.

Side note… can you believe our little book club has been plugging along for SEVENTEEN weeks now? Holy cow!!!

Random thoughts having nothing to do with book club….
First: #CharloeTuesday was almost nonexistent today on Twitter. Help me fix that if you are a twitter user, please. Please? Haha

Secondly…thegoodshipcharloe is hosting a holiday fan fic gift exchange. If you write, let us know if you’d like to join. Entry instructions can be found on the site.

Now, back to book club already in progress…

Line up… assuming no late arrivals: wildirish, LemonSupreme, mlreeve
WildIrish...go ahead whenever you are ready.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:26 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Welcome Book Clubbers!!! I’ll be filling in for Ice this week as moderator or whatever her title is… while she is off watching Billy Burke in the stage production of Ghost Brothers. I’m sure she’s having a fabulous time, but of course we miss her. Hopefully I won’t screw anything up too badly as I sub. We shall see.

Side note… can you believe our little book club has been plugging along for SEVENTEEN weeks now? Holy cow!!!

Random thoughts having nothing to do with book club….
First: #CharloeTuesday was almost nonexistent today on Twitter. Help me fix that if you are a twitter user, please. Please? Haha

Secondly…thegoodshipcharloe is hosting a holiday fan fic gift exchange. If you write, let us know if you’d like to join. Entry instructions can be found on the site.

Now, back to book club already in progress…

Line up… assuming no late arrivals: wildirish, LemonSupreme, mlreeve
WildIrish...go ahead whenever you are ready.
Thanks Lemon--and also for taking of Ice's duties tonight. Hope she's having fun. And wow, 17 weeks already? And to think there is sooo much more Charloe fanfiction left to be read and discussed.

Sorry about the lack of Twitter activity lately. I'm just busy and frankly in screaming agony all the time that it takes twice as much focus to get everyday things done. Apologies and I'll try better--even if I just retweet.

As far as the Charloe fic exchange: I am thinking about it. I'd hate to enter and then not be able to carry through on my commitment. So I will think about it before I say yes. But I think it's a fabulous idea!!

Okay, after all that, this week's stories:

“Saving Monroe” by Eliver

This is another nice meditation of Charlie’s mindset after Monroe is surprisingly spared by Rachel during “Dead Man Walking.” There isn’t anything that stands out as especially memorable but it was still a good, easy read. One pet peeve: I absolutely despise poor formatting. The lack of quotations around dialogue (when oddly it’s done during remembered dialogue but not during current) irritated that crap out of me. A dash does not a quote make. I like traditional, book style formatting. (Of course neither FF or AO3 allows for indentations, or it’s never worked for me anyway). Unfortunately the author was turned off by the Revo writer’s decision to pair Charlie and Connor together (who can blame her?) so we never got any more. Boo.

“Simmer Down (And Pucker Up)” by Kathrynthegreat

Charloe smut! How appropriate when Lemon is acting as our ringleader this evening.
“He refused to even think about Rachel” – possibly the best line ever written? Hehe.

“He has been chasing her since she woke next to him in the empty pool until it had become an unconscious act.” – I like this line a lot. I also think that Bass was drawn a lot to Charlie in the pool. And damn if those pool scenes didn’t spontaneously bring to life an entire new ‘ship for me to ride: Charloe. Good God did those scenes hit me upside the head like a two-by-four of amazing, scene melting, mind melding chemistry.

“He swears that one day she will trust him enough to be unguarded in his presence.” – Every Charloe ‘shippers dream nicely said.

Honestly this was a fabulously written story and great internalization but with added bonus of hot smut that was well done. Brava. Plus, awesome song choice: I have it on my Charloe playlist.

“Someday My Pain Will Mark You” by Quentanilien

Chapter 1: I adored that Bass left his date with Yoga-**** to tend to a sad, toddler Charlie. So incredibly sweet. I did find the line “She doesn’t need to share his pain” hauntingly prophetic, especially in light of the last paragraphs of this chapter. This writer is so talented.

Chapter 2: This is an introspection of Bass’ mindset after saving Charlie in the bar in Pottsboro. That scene is a Charloe hall-of-famer. I really liked Q’s insights and thoughts. This line was so beautiful: “He speeds up his steps, trying to reach the hidden trailer before this stolen bit of intimacy scars him in some irreparable way.” FYI, Bass, it’s called you realize you are falling in love with her. Ahem. Loved the ruminations on the brand on Charlie’s wrist.

Chapter 3: This was so, so good. I just can’t even put into words. It’s just that good. The only fault to whole the story is I’d love a chapter 4 in a time after they’ve told Miles and Rachel. That’s only because I want more and more of this.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:34 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish (View Post)
Thanks Lemon--and also for taking of Ice's duties tonight. Hope she's having fun. And wow, 17 weeks already? And to think there is sooo much more Charloe fanfiction left to be read and discussed.

Sorry about the lack of Twitter activity lately. I'm just busy and frankly in screaming agony all the time that it takes twice as much focus to get everyday things done. Apologies and I'll try better--even if I just retweet.

As far as the Charloe fic exchange: I am thinking about it. I'd hate to enter and then not be able to carry through on my commitment. So I will think about it before I say yes. But I think it's a fabulous idea!!

Okay, after all that, this week's stories:

“Saving Monroe” by Eliver

This is another nice meditation of Charlie’s mindset after Monroe is surprisingly spared by Rachel during “Dead Man Walking.” There isn’t anything that stands out as especially memorable but it was still a good, easy read. One pet peeve: I absolutely despise poor formatting. The lack of quotations around dialogue (when oddly it’s done during remembered dialogue but not during current) irritated that crap out of me. A dash does not a quote make. I like traditional, book style formatting. (Of course neither FF or AO3 allows for indentations, or it’s never worked for me anyway). Unfortunately the author was turned off by the Revo writer’s decision to pair Charlie and Connor together (who can blame her?) so we never got any more. Boo.

“Simmer Down (And Pucker Up)” by Kathrynthegreat

Charloe smut! How appropriate when Lemon is acting as our ringleader this evening.
“He refused to even think about Rachel” – possibly the best line ever written? Hehe.

“He has been chasing her since she woke next to him in the empty pool until it had become an unconscious act.” – I like this line a lot. I also think that Bass was drawn a lot to Charlie in the pool. And damn if those pool scenes didn’t spontaneously bring to life an entire new ‘ship for me to ride: Charloe. Good God did those scenes hit me upside the head like a two-by-four of amazing, scene melting, mind melding chemistry.

“He swears that one day she will trust him enough to be unguarded in his presence.” – Every Charloe ‘shippers dream nicely said.

Honestly this was a fabulously written story and great internalization but with added bonus of hot smut that was well done. Brava. Plus, awesome song choice: I have it on my Charloe playlist.

“Someday My Pain Will Mark You” by Quentanilien

Chapter 1: I adored that Bass left his date with Yoga-**** to tend to a sad, toddler Charlie. So incredibly sweet. I did find the line “She doesn’t need to share his pain” hauntingly prophetic, especially in light of the last paragraphs of this chapter. This writer is so talented.

Chapter 2: This is an introspection of Bass’ mindset after saving Charlie in the bar in Pottsboro. That scene is a Charloe hall-of-famer. I really liked Q’s insights and thoughts. This line was so beautiful: “He speeds up his steps, trying to reach the hidden trailer before this stolen bit of intimacy scars him in some irreparable way.” FYI, Bass, it’s called you realize you are falling in love with her. Ahem. Loved the ruminations on the brand on Charlie’s wrist.

Chapter 3: This was so, so good. I just can’t even put into words. It’s just that good. The only fault to whole the story is I’d love a chapter 4 in a time after they’ve told Miles and Rachel. That’s only because I want more and more of this.
Saving Monroe by Eliver: I really like how we are seeing inside Charlie’s head here. She’s remembering and evaluating and deciding if they made the right decision in allowing Monroe to live. She kind of argues with herself and it felt authentic to me. I’m always arguing with myself. I love where she finally decides he deserves a second chance and that he’s been through enough.

Like with a lot of these stories, it makes me kind of sad when they end too soon. This author appears to have become discouraged by the Charlie/Connor hookup (who of us wasn’t? yikes). I do wish she’d have been able to find a way past that but regardless the chaper we did get was nice. Not my favorite, but a nice introspective look at Charlie.

Simmer Down (And Pucker Up) by kathrynthegreat
I know a lot of people who bitch and moan about needing a slow burn…and I like that as much as the next person BUT, sometimes…..all I want is the burn part, and kathrynthegreat seems to understand that. I enjoyed this one a lot. Especially loved when he asks if she’s a screamer. Ha.

Note for WildIrish…you are funny. Yes, maybe this was a good choice for my week in the sun. haha

Someday My Pain Will Mark You by Quentanilien
Chapter 1 is sweet and fairly similar to a lot of other ‘they knew each other when she was little’ stories, but it’s better written than a lot of them. The Pooh Bear book and its meaning to him because of his sister was touching. The whole chap was sweet and very evocative. I like.

Chapter 2. I love this: “She doesn’t trust him in general, but she trusts him with her life, and that’s enough for him…”

I like that the author gives us the scene after the bar in Pottsboro where he carries her. This should have been covered in the show and I love it when fan fic writers give us an idea of what it should have been. This one is very well done I think. I like this part a lot: “He may be the one carrying her, but he’s also the last person she would want to…”
I’m glad that Monroe discovered her brand here while she’s sleeping off the drugs. This seems like absolutely when it would have happened, and I like his response to it – regret etc.

Chapter 3 is fabulous. I love the intimacy and the love – though unspoken – that is clearly there. It’s just really sweet and fitting. My favorite bit: “He wants the world to know that Charlotte Matheson is his, except if he ever said that she’d punch him in the face.” But of course, by the end it seems that maybe she won’t be punching him after all…and that makes me very happy. 

WildIrish…so sorry you still aren’t feeling well. I hate to hear it. Hope you find a light at the end of that tunnel soon.

Mlreeve… you are up, but take your time. Thesaurus was supposed to be here…she might still show. 
Old 11-18-2014, 07:46 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Saving Monroe by Eliver: I really like how we are seeing inside Charlie’s head here. She’s remembering and evaluating and deciding if they made the right decision in allowing Monroe to live. She kind of argues with herself and it felt authentic to me. I’m always arguing with myself. I love where she finally decides he deserves a second chance and that he’s been through enough.

Like with a lot of these stories, it makes me kind of sad when they end too soon. This author appears to have become discouraged by the Charlie/Connor hookup (who of us wasn’t? yikes). I do wish she’d have been able to find a way past that but regardless the chaper we did get was nice. Not my favorite, but a nice introspective look at Charlie.

I know a lot of people who bitch and moan about needing a slow burn…and I like that as much as the next person BUT, sometimes…..all I want is the burn part, and kathrynthegreat seems to understand that. I enjoyed this one a lot. Especially loved when he asks if she’s a screamer. Ha.

Note for WildIrish…you are funny. Yes, maybe this was a good choice for my week in the sun. haha

Chapter 1 is sweet and fairly similar to a lot of other ‘they knew each other when she was little’ stories, but it’s better written than a lot of them. The Pooh Bear book and its meaning to him because of his sister was touching. The whole chap was sweet and very evocative. I like.

Chapter 2. I love this: “She doesn’t trust him in general, but she trusts him with her life, and that’s enough for him…”

I like that the author gives us the scene after the bar in Pottsboro where he carries her. This should have been covered in the show and I love it when fan fic writers give us an idea of what it should have been. This one is very well done I think. I like this part a lot: “He may be the one carrying her, but he’s also the last person she would want to…”
I’m glad that Monroe discovered her brand here while she’s sleeping off the drugs. This seems like absolutely when it would have happened, and I like his response to it – regret etc.

Chapter 3 is fabulous. I love the intimacy and the love – though unspoken – that is clearly there. It’s just really sweet and fitting. My favorite bit: “He wants the world to know that Charlotte Matheson is his, except if he ever said that she’d punch him in the face.” But of course, by the end it seems that maybe she won’t be punching him after all…and that makes me very happy. 

WildIrish…so sorry you still aren’t feeling well. I hate to hear it. Hope you find a light at the end of that tunnel soon.

Mlreeve… you are up, but take your time. Thesaurus was supposed to be here…she might still show. 
Maybe Ice planned it that way? Lol.

And thanks once again sweetie for the well wishes. Honestly, at this point, I'm not sure. I try really hard to just keep going but every time I turn around I'm getting kicked down a little further. It seems like such a small, simple thing but it is the most excruciating, debilitating pain I've ever felt in my entire life and there are not many options available to make it better. So that's why I'm so thankful for all my Charloe friends and our weekly get togethers b/c they are something for me to look forward to (and hey, Charloe always goes down easy.)
Old 11-18-2014, 07:52 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Maybe Ice planned it that way? Lol.

And thanks once again sweetie for the well wishes. Honestly, at this point, I'm not sure. I try really hard to just keep going but every time I turn around I'm getting kicked down a little further. It seems like such a small, simple thing but it is the most excruciating, debilitating pain I've ever felt in my entire life and there are not many options available to make it better. So that's why I'm so thankful for all my Charloe friends and our weekly get togethers b/c they are something for me to look forward to (and hey, Charloe always goes down easy.)
That is just awful! I'm glad you find a little bit of comfort in charloe. I know it brightens my day. Don't know if you've noticed yet, but there are three new fics this week all based off of prompts from the site. Ice started a new one and then there are two new AU ones as well. It's pretty awesome. So even if you aren't feeling up to writing a lot, there should be plenty to read.

THESAURUS IS IN THE HOUSE!!!! You can go anytime! We're waiting for MlReeve, but I promised her some extra time. ANd, yes.... I still owe you a cover. Will email it tonight.

Last edited by LemonSupreme; 11-18-2014 at 08:04 PM
Old 11-18-2014, 08:02 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:

Simmer Down (And Pucker Up)
kathrynthegreat
What can I say smut works and you can never have too much Bass and Charlie having hot, steamy sex against the side of a barn, but one shots always leave me wanting so much more. I am always hoping for the redemption Bass deserves, so when it just stops i need more, but Charlie helping him button his shirt is a step in the right direction for them I hope.

Someday My Pain Will Mark You
Quentanilien
Chapter one was so sweet with Bass dropping everything just to go and read little Charlotte a bedtime story because her mom was too wrapped up in Danny to even notice that she was up. It always breaks my heart to think about Charlie always coming in second place. I hate that Bass is in so much pain because of his family being gone.

Chapter Two I loved reading Bass thoughts about Charlie in this chapter how he cared for her after the bar. Lemon I also liked that he found and acknowledged the brand I wish the show would have touched on that I think it would have made a great storyline for an episode.

Chapter three was perfect I think its funny how he goes on about how he will be blamed for what is going on between him and Charlie when she was the one to make the first move. I don’t think Bass has to worry though because it seems like Charlie is ready to tell their little secret so I have no doubt that she will stand up for Bass I just wish we would have been able to read that chapter, but that’s how I am I always want just one more chapter to tie things up …. You know how I am Lemon.

I am going to post this I know I am a story short, but I want to get something up thanks for waiting..
Old 11-18-2014, 08:02 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
That is just awful! I'm glad you find a little bit of comfort in charloe. I know it brightens my day. Don't know if you've noticed yet, but there are three new fics this week all based off of prompts from the site. Ice started a new one and then there are two new AU ones as well. It's pretty awesome. So even if you aren't feeling up to writing a lot, there should be plenty to read.
Thanks for the intel. No, I did not know that (except Ice's; she told me she had posted a new story she'd told me about.) I will have to look for them and add them to my queue. I just managed to (hopefully) catch up on all my current reads and reviews. I hate reading and not reviewing, especially when I know what a positive effect it has on an author.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:09 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlreeve1 (View Post)
Simmer Down (And Pucker Up)
kathrynthegreat
What can I say smut works and you can never have too much Bass and Charlie having hot, steamy sex against the side of a barn, but one shots always leave me wanting so much more. I am always hoping for the redemption Bass deserves, so when it just stops i need more, but Charlie helping him button his shirt is a step in the right direction for them I hope.

Someday My Pain Will Mark You
Quentanilien
Chapter one was so sweet with Bass dropping everything just to go and read little Charlotte a bedtime story because her mom was too wrapped up in Danny to even notice that she was up. It always breaks my heart to think about Charlie always coming in second place. I hate that Bass is in so much pain because of his family being gone.

Chapter Two I loved reading Bass thoughts about Charlie in this chapter how he cared for her after the bar. Lemon I also liked that he found and acknowledged the brand I wish the show would have touched on that I think it would have made a great storyline for an episode.

Chapter three was perfect I think its funny how he goes on about how he will be blamed for what is going on between him and Charlie when she was the one to make the first move. I don’t think Bass has to worry though because it seems like Charlie is ready to tell their little secret so I have no doubt that she will stand up for Bass I just wish we would have been able to read that chapter, but that’s how I am I always want just one more chapter to tie things up …. You know how I am Lemon.

I am going to post this I know I am a story short, but I want to get something up thanks for waiting..

Mlreeve... We all have rough weeks. Hope yours gets better. I agree you can never have too much Bass/Charlie smut. reminds me I owe you chaps of Lies. sigh. I promise its on my to do list.

Quote:
Thanks for the intel. No, I did not know that (except Ice's; she told me she had posted a new story she'd told me about.) I will have to look for them and add them to my queue. I just managed to (hopefully) catch up on all my current reads and reviews. I hate reading and not reviewing, especially when I know what a positive effect it has on an author.
Thanks for all the reviews lately. You really did catch up I think!! Loved your latest chap of Poison and Wine too.

Thesaurus - welcome and you can go anytime.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:10 PM
Loyal Fan

I was just able to sign on, but I have nothing typed up yet, as it was a crazy day. I don't want to hold everyone up!

BTW Lemon, I had an idea for BC. What if we picked a discussion topic for each week. It could be related to fanfic or something on the show. Maybe it's a stupid idea, haha. But, it could be fun. Talking about Charloe always is...
Old 11-18-2014, 08:15 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvMyThesaurus (View Post)
I was just able to sign on, but I have nothing typed up yet, as it was a crazy day. I don't want to hold everyone up!

BTW Lemon, I had an idea for BC. What if we picked a discussion topic for each week. It could be related to fanfic or something on the show. Maybe it's a stupid idea, haha. But, it could be fun. Talking about Charloe always is...
I think it's a fantastic idea. We'll run it by Ice since this is her show, but I have little doubt she'd be on board.

Did you all see the new pic I created for book club? It's on the FB page and the Twitter feed. No idea how to add an image here...but the pic features nods to stories by wildirish, ice, thesaurus, driverpicksthemusic, scifidvm, whynotitsfun, me and others....

See it here: http://www.thegoodshipcharloe.com/bookclub.html

Oh and Thesaurus, I'm totally going to email you the missing cover tonight. I promise.