Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-04-2014, 10:29 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieizskye (View Post)
Lemon, I love your works & I'm glad you posted this thank you to Melissa about always leaving comments after reading your works. I am Guilty of reading FF and wanting to leave comments but struggling to convey my honest, helpful opinion of the story. Maybe it just takes baby steps & I will moving forward be sure to leave comments about my feelings & thoughts on the works. It really has been quite selfish of me to indulge in these wonderful stories & not posting comments b/c Leaving Comments is new to me but if you will bear with me & my comments while I become more familiar with conveying my thoughts. Thanks Again for your Fab Stories- There are many crazy days when late at night I just escape into Charloe FF & it mellows me out.
Jamie, that's really nice of you. And I can tell you that ANY fanfic writer loves to get comments...it makes it all worth it.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:05 PM
Loyal Fan

I love all the stories you gals write...so talented! I'm one of those people who has limited time to read fanfic and comment, although I do try to PM when I can. But I want all of you to know that I adore whatever you write!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceonFire7 (View Post)
Oh, I think you can keep those in...most of us won't mind
I've made the decision that they're staying in the story...I might flee and hide out for a bit from a case of acute smut-shyness, but the pervy-Bass parts are a go. In fact, I've had the urge recently to add in a bit more...
Old 11-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Extreme Fan

Charloe book club meets in 35 minutes! Hope to see everyone there!
Old 11-11-2014, 07:06 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvMyThesaurus (View Post)
I love all the stories you gals write...so talented! I'm one of those people who has limited time to read fanfic and comment, although I do try to PM when I can. But I want all of you to know that I adore whatever you write!

I've made the decision that they're staying in the story...I might flee and hide out for a bit from a case of acute smut-shyness, but the pervy-Bass parts are a go. In fact, I've had the urge recently to add in a bit more...
Did I miss the update email??? hint hint
Old 11-11-2014, 07:14 PM
Extreme Fan

OK, guys, welcome to book club...right now it just appears to be the four of us. But if anyone else comes along, I'll add them right in.

So let's use this line up for the week: IceonFire7, wildirish, LemonSupreme, mlreeve1

I'll post this and then add my thoughts in just a few.

Hey, Thesaurus just arrived, so let's add in her...updated line up: IceonFire7, wildirish, LemonSupreme, mlreeve1, ILuvMyThesaurus

In The Mourning - I thought this was a sweet insight into Charlie's feelings for Bass, which was a nice change. A lot of times, it seems we get a look at how he feels about her, so it was nice to switch it around.

I loved the line about big, bad, scary Monroe enjoying cuddling. I like that we see Charlie accepting that the man she met in New Vegas was not the same as General Monroe. Overall, just a nice little lost scene from Dead Man Walking.

At The Beginning - I remember reading this once before and for some reason, I thought I liked it more than I did on the second reading. Although I thought it was cute to see a young Charlie meet Bass, reading the way 3 year old Charlie talked was a little confusing.

Anyway, no disrespect to the writer, but I have seen the Bass meets young Charlie thing before and found it to be better elsewhere. (Uh, Lemon...Reunion). However...the sequel...

Can't Rewind Now We've Gone Too Far - I thought was much better. Still not a giant fan of her writing, but I found this to be an interesting little look into Charlie and Bass meeting up in that time frame when they first got back, when she was struggling to get along with Rachel. I could see her sneaking out to go and talk to Bass. She'd just spent all that time with him and it seems he might be the only one to really understand her at that point. So I did enjoy that. It did seem like it should have gone farther, like there was more she could have explored, but I found it enjoyable.

Being Nice - Rusalka is one of those people who tends to flower up her writing, which is not my favorite thing. However, in this one, I feel like she really held back on that and it feels much more straight-forward to me, so I like it so much more.

Actually, I like this one quite a bit. There were so many good little parts. I loved when she pushed the door opened and it creaked and Bass called her on it. And I loved her equating him to a first-grader with all the drugs in his system. Drugged up Bass was just such a blast on the show.

Basically, Bass is just adorable in this...love when he falls out of bed because he was looking for her. Love that he's sorry that she's mad at him (although why any woman would be mad at seeing him naked is beyond me). And her laying down with him and him asking to kiss her...this is just one of those stories that makes me want to turn into a 13 year old girl and squeeee!!!

So, yeah, this one I really liked.

Ok, up next we have wildirish...

Jellybean 60 is here too. New line up: IceonFire7, wildirish, LemonSupreme, mlreeve1, ILuvMyThesaurus, Jellybean60

Last edited by IceonFire7; 11-11-2014 at 07:27 PM
Old 11-11-2014, 07:28 PM
New Fan

Sorry

Did we have to move to a different forum then? And then sorry for missing book club, I either forget to read the stories of don't have time. I'll try to make it next week.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:34 PM
Dedicated Fan

Thanks Ice and hello ladies! I don’t have a ton of things to say about the stories this week. Ice and I are absolutely on par with each other for each story actually.

“In The Mourning” by batfiction

I liked the part with the blanket and how they had to share it for necessity, and then eventually just because. Ice and I were actually talking about this the other night on Twitter during the rewatch that there is a difference between Bass and Monroe. I liked that this author also made that distinction, like in this quote I really enjoyed:
“Her blue eyes burned as she thought about all the people she lost because of this man—no, not this man but a man that shared his face. The face of a soul she felt connected to hers.”
What I also liked about this quote was that last line—it’s something similar to what I wrote in a blog post for the Charloe website (which if you haven’t checked out The Good Ship Charloe you really really should) that the things that also seem to separate Charlie and Bass are also the things that very much tie them together.

“At the Beginning With You (As You Wish)” by Hatake Kai

I don’t really have a lot to say about this one. It was cute but nothing that really stood out to me. Not bad, not great. I agree with absolutely every single word Ice said: I’ve read it before, I think I liked it better then, found it rather annoying this time around and have seen this stuff done better elsewhere (and yes, I agree, Lemon’s Reunion is definitive of that for me).

“Can’t Rewind Now We’ve Gone Too Far (Life is Pain)” by Hatake Kai

This felt wholly unfinished, which stinks because it had such great potential. I like stories that kind of insert scenes between Charloe within the actual show (because obviously there should have been so many more than there were). Still, I agree once again with Ice (we tend to do that a lot Ice!) that I’m not the biggest fan of her writing.

“Being Nice” by rusalkagirl

I thought we had read something by her before and I didn’t remember it going over very well. Now I know I wasn’t making it up. However, I think this one is better than the last. Plus it’s playful, drugged Bass (who was so adorable in that scene, IMO) that’s flirting with Charlie. Cute. And absolutely: What sane woman would ever be mad at Bass for seeing him naked?

Okay, Lemon, you are up my friend!
Old 11-11-2014, 07:40 PM
New Fan

Sorry I haven't been at book club. I've been really busy. Did we have to start a new thread?
Old 11-11-2014, 07:41 PM
Loyal Fan

Forgive me in advance.....I've been living on Dayquil capsules for four days now...

Here are my thoughts....
In The Mourning by batfiction. This is beautiful. I love how much emotion the writer has put into Charlie’s feelings and memories. It’s lovely. I adore this: “Her blue eyes burned as she thought about all the people she lost because of this man—no, not this man but a man that shared his face. The face of a soul she felt connected to hers.”
Would have loved to see a second chapter of course…seeing how she reacts to the resurrection. Even so, this was nice.

On a side note…If I could find a Bass Monroe scented blanket, I’d probably curl up with it too. Just sayn.

At The Beginning (As You Wish) by Hatake Kai. This was kind of cute. I like the way three year old Charlie is portrayed. I have a three year old, and this felt very authentic. Haha It was sweet though not really charloe in the true sense.

Can't Rewind Now We've Gone Too Far by Hatake Kai. Hmmm I’m not sure about this. It feels so incomplete. I am guessing the author planned to add more and just never got around to it. That’s too bad.

Being Nice by Rusalka Girl. I really like this one. I wasn’t a huge fan of the story we read earlier on by this same author, but this one is wonderful. I love the dopey – drugged Bass and how everyone leaves him for Charlie to take care of…all too oblivious to see what could be building between them. Don’t tell Miles… love it. This was sweet and made my heart happy. This was certainly my favorite of this week’s choices.

MLReeve - you are up next!!
Old 11-11-2014, 07:43 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean60 (View Post)
Sorry I haven't been at book club. I've been really busy. Did we have to start a new thread?
Jumping in for one second. Yes, we do have to switch threads after we reach a post count of 300. It's something that FanForum requires, so we are now on Charlie and Monroe thread #10 until we reach the max on this one (Which should be a little while from now actually )
Old 11-11-2014, 07:45 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonSupreme (View Post)
Forgive me in advance.....I've been living on Dayquil capsules for four days now...

Here are my thoughts....
In The Mourning by batfiction. This is beautiful. I love how much emotion the writer has put into Charlie’s feelings and memories. It’s lovely. I adore this: “Her blue eyes burned as she thought about all the people she lost because of this man—no, not this man but a man that shared his face. The face of a soul she felt connected to hers.”
Would have loved to see a second chapter of course…seeing how she reacts to the resurrection. Even so, this was nice.

On a side note…If I could find a Bass Monroe scented blanket, I’d probably curl up with it too. Just sayn.

At The Beginning (As You Wish) by Hatake Kai. This was kind of cute. I like the way three year old Charlie is portrayed. I have a three year old, and this felt very authentic. Haha It was sweet though not really charloe in the true sense.

Can't Rewind Now We've Gone Too Far by Hatake Kai. Hmmm I’m not sure about this. It feels so incomplete. I am guessing the author planned to add more and just never got around to it. That’s too bad.

Being Nice by Rusalka Girl. I really like this one. I wasn’t a huge fan of the story we read earlier on by this same author, but this one is wonderful. I love the dopey – drugged Bass and how everyone leaves him for Charlie to take care of…all too oblivious to see what could be building between them. Don’t tell Miles… love it. This was sweet and made my heart happy. This was certainly my favorite of this week’s choices.

MLReeve - you are up next!!
In the Mourning (I think this was my favorite this week)
I really liked this story I think mostly because it was Charlie exploring her feeling about Bass thinking that she would never see him again, and their trip back to Willoughby. The line “he opened up to her like she were a diary even though she didn’t want to hear any of it” was a great it showed that in the beginning she didn’t want to know Bass and she didn’t want to believe he was a good man before the world his world came crashing down around him. Wrapping herself in the blanket they shared she mourned him. I think the line “His stupidly gorgeous face would never be erased, in the small amount of time they spent together she finally felt like she belonged somewhere: next to him” was beautiful and really made you understand how Charlie felt about Bass.

Being Nice
All in all this was a sweet little story with druggy Monroe and Charlie. I thought it was funny that he wanted Charlie to get him something to eat and then he fell out of bed trying to get up because he forgot where she went. Then he wanted her to feed him….where can I sign up for that job  I think the best thing though was when he asked if he could kiss her it was so “grade school” cute and she said “okay, just don’t tell Miles”.

At The Beginning With You (As You Wish)
This is a sweet story, Charlie is cute meeting Bass for the first time. I thought the whole timeout thing and Bass thinking of her as a little dictator was cute LOL. I agree with Ice though have read better versions (Lemon) about their meeting, and you’re right also, Lemon Charlie in this story was a very accurate 3 year old.

Can't Rewind Now We've Gone Too Far (Life is Pain) .
I think what I liked about this one was that she felt like she could go to him when things at home with her family were tense. At this point they had just gotten back to Willoughby after traveling together for weeks so it makes sense that they have a connection….even if she doesn’t want to admit it.

Ok… ILuvMyThesaurus your next 
Old 11-11-2014, 08:00 PM
Loyal Fan

Can I go last? I'm in and out of the room, so I'm just starting to type...
Old 11-11-2014, 08:02 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvMyThesaurus (View Post)
Can I go last? I'm in and out of the room, so I'm just starting to type...
You are last, sweetie...Jellybean hasn't read the stories...but we'll wait for you

While Thesaurus is typing...anyone have any other thoughts to add to the stories for the week?
Old 11-11-2014, 08:16 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
You are last, sweetie...Jellybean hasn't read the stories...but we'll wait for you

While Thesaurus is typing...anyone have any other thoughts to add to the stories for the week?
My only thought is that while Thesaurus is typing...she should also go ahead and finish up that pervy Monroe story she's been teasing us with. hahahaha
Old 11-11-2014, 08:21 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:

Haha, I should just claim that position as a permanent thing...

Quote:
My only thought is that while Thesaurus is typing...she should also go ahead and finish up that pervy Monroe story she's been teasing us with. hahahaha
Hee-Hee Lemon! I'm really not trying to be a tease. I've been feeling incredibly unmotivated lately. I've still got that smutlet I promised you too! So sorry everyone...

And I'm really crazy, I wanted to upload my pretty covers to my fics and went to do so, only to realize I didn't have them downloaded...

I'm writing this super fast, so sorry in advance for mistakes and nonsense that I may spout.

In the Mourning
Charlie's introspection was really interesting. I enjoyed this peek into their journey on the way to Willoughby -- still so annoying that apparently they had weeks together that we never got to see! This show...but, I digress. It was lovely, and the metaphors she used were beautiful, especially 'his lying eyes...', as I think Charlie was discovering they weren't lying nearly as much as she would have liked.

At the Beginning
This was cute. I'm one of those people that like little Charlie stories. I agree that it wasn't too deep or anything, just a cute look at Charlie wrapping her two marines around her little finger. The 'Mulan' bit was funny.

Can't Rewind...
I agree this feels unfinished, but as it is, it's still intriguing. Their banter was interesting. Bass wears his pain for everything so close to the surface. I would have liked to have seen more of it.

Being Nice
This was definitely cute and like everyone else, I enjoyed this better than the other fic by the same writer. She definitely toned down some of the heavy metaphor use. It was just an adorable expansion on the tripped-out Monroe. I like that Charlie got left with him and he was all clingy and childlike. His falling out of bed to come find her, and wanting to be fed, and to have her lay with him, and begging for a kiss were too funny. Poor Monroe and his lack of affection/family.

Sorry it took me so long...jeesh...this is becoming a pattern!

I have a question for everyone, have you gals seen the Secret Santa exchange over at the Rev LJ? You don't have to be on LJ to take part...