Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Part-Time Fan

So Dinah laurel lance is nothing like the comics despite the examples I gave you how they are alike and some you even state on your own, OK whatever really, wasn't trying to change anyone's opinion just stating a different pov. Will just have to agree to disagree on that.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Master Fan

The only examples you've given us are she has the name and she wants to help people. Which would be a very vague character description.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Part-Time Fan

If you read many post whether mine or someone else in this thread and what we already know of the character, I doubt it adds up only to those two things.

She goes by laurel because duh if she grew up being raised by her Mom and dad, there were two Dinahs in the household which is the case with Laurel's background. A show just doesn't start something when a new character debuts, they are supposed to think
Forward (the future of their characters and plot) as well as backwards (character's back story and history) before this show even started they likely knew they would have Dinah Snr being in the series at some point and they would run into problems of having two character being named Dinahs, in our society if they were both male they would be known as Snr and Jnr but not how it works with females. Fishnets is one of the symbolism of black canary, any fan who was acquainted with the character/super heroine knew exactly that was foreshadowing and what they were hinting at, its metaphorical not to be taken literally not always anyway especially in an adaptation like this, its symbolism for the heroine just like a canary bird it doesn't mean she would turn into a bird.

Last edited by HunterX; 11-10-2013 at 07:07 PM
Old 11-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Master Fan

What else then?

Because I don't see any of the more useful skills that make up the Black Canary in Laurel. When most people describe the BC vaguely they are not going to with, she's nice and she likes to help people.

They will go with she can break ear drums and can kick a lot of ass. Which does not describe the Dinah Laurel Lance on this show. So on Arrow all she has is the name.

And if we ignore the name part and focus on the actresses. Caity Lotz is able to portray emotions on screen convincingly and has the athleticism to portray the Black Canary. KC can do neither of those and she's had a lot more time do something with her character.

Last edited by Coconut1214; 11-10-2013 at 06:53 PM
Old 11-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Part-Time Fan

I don't want to dwell on this because its already been said, bullet points of similarities

Name: Dinah laurel lance
Parents mother Dinah, father different name but a police officer like in comics
Relationship with Oliver Queen , whether as lovers or workmates ( Sara/Oliver not a real romantic relationship and partnered after Oliver/laurel already did as laurel and the hood)
Black canary foreshadowing
She knows hand to hand combat, note: BC in comics was not born a fighting expert she evolved into one over time
She has a sisterly relationship with Thea like she did with Mia in comics (Comparable to Sara/Sin, symbolism Arrow family)
Met and was friendly with Helena ( comparable to Felicity/Sara, symbolism birds of prey)
She is a justice crusader just like her comic book counterpart.
Personality, values, morals similar to comic book counterpart, though shall not kill
She is a tactical thinker and a strategist, she gets to use that in her legal job

I don't claim to know what will happen in future but its certainly not true to say this character has had none of a "comic black/canary/Dinah development" imo.

Last edited by HunterX; 11-10-2013 at 07:44 PM
Old 11-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by srelar (View Post)

I'm not sure what Smallville has to do with Arrow, but okay: Chloe Sullivan never became Lois Lane, because there was a real person with the name Lois Lane. Sara already is the Black Canary, complete with the name, costume, skills, and back story. If Sara dies or quits, and Laurel take up her identity, she will be the copycat, forever compared to the original.

Also, Chloe married Oliver on Smallvile, and the comic book world did not end.
The difference here though is that Chloe and Lois didn't have secret identities. lol Black Canary is a code name, not real name. Black Canary could be anyone... right now it's Sara Lance, in the future it could be Laurel Lance or even both of them depending on the writing.

Chloe marrying Oliver on Smallville... wasn't as big to me, only because Oliver and Dinah did get a divorce and they had a on and off again relationship in the comics.
I also said that [for me] Oliver & Laurel isn't as sealed deal as per say Lois & Clark.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:52 PM
Master Fan

Personality? The BC was never a complete bore with no survival skills at all and her values seem to change every episode.

Plus Sara shares most of those.

Same parents obviously.
Sara's has a deep emotional connection with Oliver and it's more than Laurel will ever have.
She knows hand to hand combat (wasn't born with it, but was taught by the best in world)
Has sisterly relationship with Sin
Hasn't met Helena yet. (And I don't remember Laurel being that friendly with her) While Sara has been friendly with Felicity
She's a justice crusader just like the BC in the comics.
Yes she kills, but just like Oliver it's what they had to do survive their ordeal. It was a kill or be killed situation. If they didn't kill, they'd be dead and couldn't become a hero. Now that they are back they have to learn to follow rules again.
Plus everything else that makes the canary a badass that laurel doesn't have.

And sometimes you need to kill. How many times does the bad guy come back and hurt someone the hero cares about. Which wouldn't have happened if they had killed them during the fight. This isn't the real world, it's a comic book.

So again it's only the name and she doesn't kill people that makes her the Black Canary. That's not a lot to go on. Ollie's killed people too and he's still a hero. So that leaves the name.

Last edited by Coconut1214; 11-10-2013 at 08:57 PM
Old 11-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Elite Fan

This is probably going to be a bit random, but here it goes: If the Arrow producers decide not to pick up Caity for a season 3, I think I would like to see her get scooped up by Marvel or DC and play a superhero in one of their upcoming movies. She would certainly be a good choice. Acting is more than solid for someone with very limited acting experience. She nails fight and action scenes like nobody's business thanks to her martial arts & dance background. And she's young. With only 26 years of age, she could film lots of follow up movies if they so choose. Now that I think about it, she would also be a good choice to play a character like Buffy if they were to ever decide to remake it. That being said, I'm not a big fan of remakes because they tend to suck more often than not.

Last edited by Hamburgo1001; 11-10-2013 at 09:54 PM
Old 11-10-2013, 10:48 PM
Part-Time Fan

I'm aware that Sara also share some of these points, duh that is why I pointed it out. And as they do share some of these similarities why the hell then are people saying laurel isn't like in comics, but only count Sara's similarities as the real thing, surely thats a double standard.

Hasn't met Helena yet?, OK we are clearly watching different shows.

Has no survival skills? Ridiculous, god knows how many times she has been attacked by criminals as a daughter of a cop and a lawyer she is an easy target and she still survived. Sara survived too with the other people's help just as Oliver did.

Last edited by HunterX; 11-10-2013 at 11:06 PM
Old 11-10-2013, 11:52 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburgo1001 (View Post)
This is probably going to be a bit random, but here it goes: If the Arrow producers decide not to pick up Caity for a season 3, I think I would like to see her get scooped up by Marvel or DC and play a superhero in one of their upcoming movies. She would certainly be a good choice. Acting is more than solid for someone with very limited acting experience. She nails fight and action scenes like nobody's business thanks to her martial arts & dance background. And she's young. With only 26 years of age, she could film lots of follow up movies if they so choose. Now that I think about it, she would also be a good choice to play a character like Buffy if they were to ever decide to remake it. That being said, I'm not a big fan of remakes because they tend to suck more often than not.
The new "Flash" TV series is somethings that pops in my head if she's not picked up for Season 3
Old 11-11-2013, 07:11 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Hasn't met Helena yet?, OK we are clearly watching different shows.
My list was about Sara and she hasn't met Helena.

My Laurel remark was about Laurel not really being nice to Helena. She had her pissy face on that she pretty much uses for everyone, even Felicity who has done nothing to warrant that look.

Quote:
Has no survival skills? Ridiculous, god knows how many times she has been attacked by criminals as a daughter of a cop and a lawyer she is an easy target and she still survived.
Yet she walked into a building during an earthquake when everyone told her to not go there, but she did so then they had to tell her GTFO and she stood around until it started crumbling down around her and Tommy had to die to save her. That shows the survival skills of an office plant.

Sara shares more of the similarities than Laurel. That is the point. She shares almost all of the characteristics you listed about comic Dinah and Sara shares the more important skills to be the Black Canary, highly skilled martial artist trained by the best in the world, acrobatics, tactical mind and the "Canary cry" bombs.

And Laurel does not.

Quote:
Not random, I agree. If the Arrow writers lose her then she should be picked up by someone else. She's an actress with the skills to play a badass, so she's perfect to play a super hero.

Last edited by Coconut1214; 11-11-2013 at 07:56 AM
Old 11-11-2013, 07:37 AM
Loyal Fan

The only additional comment I'm going to make and then i'll drop it, regards foreshadowing. They actually foreshadowed Sara as Black Canary back in S1 and confirmed it again (Lance giving Sara the Canary as a kid) in the most recent episode. Conversely, the biggest one for Laurel CNRI, was destroyed in S1 finale. Based on what they are doing In Show one could very easily argue that early on Laurel was designed to eventually become Black Canary but the writers have subsequently changed their plans and have made Sara Black Canary.

Of course they could still have some sort of plan to eventually make Laurel Black Canary. However, I've seen nothing in S2 so far that leads me to believe they actually plan on doing that. In fact the show has obviously put a lot of thought into Sara, they've plotted out her path in both the present and past storylines and gave her relevance to both (presumed) Big Bads (Ivo and Ra's).

I also see nothing in their most recent interviews that remotely suggests that Laurel is 100% guarenteed to become Black Canary. Everything they say and do now tells me that the EP's are keeping their options open.

Quote:
The Flash would be out of the question unless she was sent over to play Sara/Black Canary, they share the same universe and are open open for crossovers, it would be weird to see her as another character. Agents of Sheild is possible but i stopped watching that show (sucky acting, writing and characters) so i hope she doesn't leave Arrow at all.

Last edited by DarkStar; 11-11-2013 at 09:30 AM
Old 11-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

Okay guys.. this is a thread to appreciate Sara and Caity... not for discussing why Laurel should or shouldn't be the BC!!

So please go back to topic...

BTW... I'd say the thread's name should be changed to "Canary" that's what Sara called hersefl

I've got sunshine
on a cloudy day

Holly ©
Old 11-11-2013, 10:37 AM
Master Fan

This show has some strange aversion colors. Arrow is not called Green Arrow either. But he wears green and has green tipped arrows, like Sara wears black and calls her self the Canary. The show and it's writers refer to her as the Black Canary. So that is who she is.

ETA Caity Lotz received a nomination by the British Independent Film Awards as one of the Most Promising Newcomers for her leading role in the sci fi movie "The Machine". The awards are held Dec. 8 in London. So congrats to her.

Last edited by Coconut1214; 11-11-2013 at 01:01 PM
Old 11-11-2013, 02:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Babble (View Post)
Okay guys.. this is a thread to appreciate Sara and Caity... not for discussing why Laurel should or shouldn't be the BC!!

So please go back to topic...

BTW... I'd say the thread's name should be changed to "Canary" that's what Sara called hersefl

Definitely agree... I think it's just too much... especially since it's not confirmation on what Katie will portray in the future...

Well If everybody else wants the change... for now she is Black Canary though [for now], I think the writers acknowledge that, Canary would be fitting though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1214 (View Post)
This show has some strange aversion colors. Arrow is not called Green Arrow either. But he wears green and has green tipped arrows, like Sara wears black and calls her self the Canary. The show and it's writers refer to her as the Black Canary. So that is who she is.

ETA Caity Lotz received a nomination by the British Independent Film Awards as one of the Most Promising Newcomers for her leading role in the sci fi movie "The Machine". The awards are held Dec. 8 in London. So congrats to her.

Yup! He was called Hood throughout whole Season 1 but he was still Green Arrow...
Canary is Black Canary although she just calls herself Canary.

Oh wow that's great! It'll be a nice surprise if she wins.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top