Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2016, 03:51 PM
Elite Fan

Arrow [4x12] "Unchained" Episode Discussion

Unchained
4x12 - Episode discussion
Unchained
ROY HARPER RETURNS; NYSSA MAKES HER MOVE — The team faces off against a formidable villain nicknamed The Calculator (guest star Tom Amandes). Meanwhile, Nyssa (guest star Katrina Law) makes her move and Roy Harper (guest star Colton Haynes) returns to Star City. Kevin Fair directed the episode written by Speed Weed & Beth Schwartz (#412). Original airdate 2/3/2016.

Basic Rules:
  • Be Respectful of other posters. Not everyone is going to agree or have the same views.
  • Discussions are encouraged, but let’s keep things civil.
  • No Character/Actor Bashing. We love your opinions on storylines, but keep in mind that these are real people who are just trying to do the best with what they are given. We might not always like how things turn out, but just remember things can always get better.
  • Everything is a spoiler until it has aired.
  • Any talk of Illegal Downloading should not be brought up here. Live Streams & such can be discussed through PM's.
  • Most importantly, HAVE FUN!
Cmtaylor531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:08 PM
Elite Fan

An okay episode. It was great to see Roy and Nyssa back. Oh and Tatsu. I'm still worried for her if she's in another episode. Glad she's not dead yet though.

So Oliver mentions going back and forth from Central city and no one bats an eye? What excuse is he using?

Now I'm back to Thea possibly being in grave. Oliver seems to have come to an acceptance about her choice so if she did die he wouldn't blame himself.

My top 3 are now Lyla, Thea and Dig. I think Lance is the obvious and safe choice.

Next week looks so much better.

Last edited by Cmtaylor531; 02-03-2016 at 07:28 PM
Old 02-03-2016, 07:18 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Enjoyed the episode!

As I mention most of the time, Oliver's island hair makes no sense.

I really love hearing all the codenames. I never get tired of hearing all the team call one another by it.

I love how Thea is controlling herself not to kill. Although it's definitely effecting her health.

Liked the return of Curtis tonight.
It's so sad to watch how Felicity disability is effecting her life.

I loved the mention of Sara tonight! Finally we got an answer.
"John Constantine made Sara whole, and restored the balance."... so that's why Sara bloodlust isn't out of control... thank you writers for establishing that.

"First Sara, then Ray, then John's brother..." I'm with you Felicity, a return happens all the time. lol
I love Laurel for suggesting that Roy could've been a shapeshifting... yup anything is possible.

I don't ship Thea/Roy much but their scenes were so sweet. Just to see how happy Thea was to see them, just believed she was dreaming.

I truly loved Felicity flipping off on Oliver for asking her was their any luck. I totally agree! If she succeeded, she will say. lol

Felicity vs Caculator was just awesome. lol I always love seeing such competitions on tv shows. What a nice twist to find out that he's actually Felicity's father. Makes sense why they are both so great at what they do... can't wait to see what happens with them from here.

Curtis telling Felicity to break a leg? However, I really enjoyed how Curtis encouraged Felicity to give a great presentation and not have any self doubt in herself because of her disability. Nice friendship between them.

How shocking was it to see Merlyn tell Oliver to make Thea make her own choice whether she lives or die. It was sad to see Thea in the situation she was in. How she was ready to let go because she isn't a killer.

Great acting in that last scene between Willa Holland and Colton Haynes. I really did feel the love between them.

I enjoyed the Nyssa scenes today. Nyssa is also back with a revenge! After Malcolm Meryln. She wants Oliver to kill Malcolm in exchange for giving him the thing that will save Thea's life...
eternalfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:23 PM
Ultimate Fan

It was a fairly enjoyable episode, very nice to see Roy back though it was a shame we couldn't see Speedy/Arsenal team up. I wasn't exactly sure, were those mercenaries Calculator hired. Ghosts? If not can they please get some different looks?

Seeing Katana, however brief, was so nice and this (to me) puts to bed that DC is forcing them to kill off these characters that they share with SS. Though was she going to spend her life sitting in front of that alter thing? The set looked straight from Tomb Raider which I loved.

And we get to add two more characters to "this is my life" speech to Oliver, that should hopefully be over with now.

I wonder why Oliver doesn't try to get in contact with Constantine again, at least mention that he has tried.

I was a bit surprised that they seemingly wrapped up the Palmer tech storyline. Though Papa Smoak could always jeopardize that in the future. I feel like the writers are kind of moving through Felicity's insecurities a little to quickly, I don't need 5-6 episodes of her agonizing or questioning herself, I think 2-3 episodes would be a good amount, but good for her getting back that fire in her for her job.

Nyssa having to rely on Oliver to fix her problem is so sad, she is never allowed any real wins and I want her to be the one to defeat Malcolm.

Laurel didn't get much to do, if she is in the grave, it will just piss me off that they wasted her last season not giving her anything GREAT like they did with Roy.

It didn't hit me during the episode but the CC line I guess alludes to him visiting his child. Good subtle set up.
Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:29 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmtaylor531 (View Post)

My top 3 are now Lyla, Thea and Dig. I think Lance is the obvious and safe choice.

Next week looks so much better.

I gotta disagree with you because of Felicity reaction in the limo. I know Felicity cares for everybody but her overreacting to finally tell Oliver to kill another person. I think that just automatically eliminates Lyla... she probably likes her but not on that level.:shug: I just would be surprised if it turns out to be Lyla because it doesn't match Felicity rage... if anything, they should've showed Diggle in the limo. lol Or probably Diggle goes off a deep end and that makes Felicity upset?

Diggle and Donna are the two unsafe members. lol

I'm also starting to believe everyone who is in danger now are not dying. Felicity got shot a few episodes ago so I think she's fine. Thea is having her trouble NOW so she will be okay. Diggle really didn't have anything bad happen yet neither did Donna...
Quentin is just on the list for predictable...

I don't think they'd kill Thea (Mia) off the series. lol
Old 02-03-2016, 07:43 PM
Elite Fan

I think Quentin is predictable as well and I'm not sure it would have the emotional pay off for season last no arc. Granted same could be said about Lyla as well. I'm just praying it's not Dig. I'll

So while I fully think Malcolm will be the him Oliver has to kill. I do think Damien and possibly Anarchy are also candidates. Now I'm wonder if Felicity's dad could be a candidate for the "him" as well. Might be reaching a bit there though.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Fan

I really would've preferred it if they had Laurel be Olivers hallucination instead of Shado, the thought of her is suppose to help Oliver power through the past afterall.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer (View Post)
I really would've preferred it if they had Laurel be Olivers hallucination instead of Shado, the thought of her is suppose to help Oliver power through the past afterall.

Well we never really saw much of Laurel in his hallucinations. Even since Season 1, we've always seen Shado in his hallucinations (probably part of his guilt for thinking he had her killed) so there's no reason to start showing Laurel now...
Seems like he's held her picture but in general in the Island, it's been all about Sara, Shado, Slade... and more people he keeps meeting on the Island. lol
Old 02-03-2016, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Fan

We had a whole season where he went on about how she helped keep him alive and fighting, I know they want us to forget S1 but it makes sense for Laurel to come up every now and then in the past.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:41 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer (View Post)
We had a whole season where he went on about how she helped keep him alive and fighting, I know they want us to forget S1 but it makes sense for Laurel to come up every now and then in the past.

Yeah I know but sadly it's been this way since Season 2. And as I said before when it comes to hallucinations, I think he's seen Shado the most in it.

Also I always said that Oliver's words didn't match his actions when it comes to Laurel. Bad writing but hey.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:00 PM
Elite Fan

I would like for the Laurel picture to at least be brought back up at some point in flashbacks. If nothing else then for us together closure on it. Like when did the motivation to make things right with her change. I know we saw in S3 a lot of is motivation had to do with Thea but I still really do t have a clue about this years flashbacks. Other than he wanted to do the right thing and try and help those people especially tianna.

The flashbacks are suppose to start getting darker though, correct?

I guess Hallucination Shado did say the only way to get somewhere was to go through. Something like that. So I imagine we shall she him go through the darkness to come out it the other side.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmtaylor531 (View Post)
I would like for the Laurel picture to at least be brought back up at some point in flashbacks. If nothing else then for us together closure on it. Like when did the motivation to make things right with her change. I know we saw in S3 a lot of is motivation had to do with Thea but I still really do t have a clue about this years flashbacks. Other than he wanted to do the right thing and try and help those people especially tianna.

The flashbacks are suppose to start getting darker though, correct?

I guess Hallucination Shado did say the only way to get somewhere was to go through. Something like that. So I imagine we shall she him go through the darkness to come out it the other side.
The main issue I have with the flashbacks is Oliver's hair, like really writers? Isn't he suppose to look all caveman in five years. That is how we saw him look in the Pilot so I'm very confused on that seeing as how his hair never really fully grew out on the Island.

I agree about the picture because my goodness are they making everything Oliver said to Laurel look like a complete lie. I've been saying it since Season 2, and it's only continued.

Yeah and probably because Shado is dead. so it sort of makes sense for him to hallucinate over her.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:17 AM
Absolute Fan

If Laurel was still the intended endgame I think perhaps the picture would be referenced but since she isn't the writers probably don't feel it's a necessity The picture was only there to sell Laurel and Olivers romantic storyline Take the storyline away and the picture serves very little plot purpose
Old 02-04-2016, 12:24 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollock (View Post)
If Laurel was still the intended endgame I think perhaps the picture would be referenced but since she isn't the writers probably don't feel it's a necessity The picture was only there to sell Laurel and Olivers romantic storyline Take the storyline away and the picture serves very little plot purpose

I have to completely disagree with you, "endgame" or not, the writers just shouldn't forget the history that they write.
I'm saying this as a pro!Olicity fan and non O/L fan... well from Arrow anyway.

Imagine if this show ironically made it to Season 10? and Oliver/Felicity weren't together anymore and the writers never mentioned the impact Felicity had on Oliver's life, I think we would all be a little bit pissed off.

So, I think the writers need to learn how to write other female relationships with Oliver when he's with Felicity... it's starting to drive me crazy. Sara/Oliver not having a scene this season is a complete joke.
The writers acting like Oliver/Laurel never happened is a complete joke.

So, it's not about "oh they are endgame" it's about writing realistic to the story.
If the writers can write Felicity grieving over Ray episodes ago when she was with Oliver, why can't we see Oliver caring about the women from his past he claimed to have really loved.

The disrespect that Oliver/Laurel has gotten is just sad at this point and I most likely never will ship them on Arrow but even I can see that.
In the end, I'm saying, if the writers can remember Laurel/Tommy, Felicity/Ray, Oliver/Shado then they sure as heck better remember Oliver/Sara, Oliver/Laurel. That's all I'm saying.

When it comes to this episode though, I don't think they needed to show the Laurel picture. Just wanted to get that all out.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:51 PM
Elite Fan

I just don't like dropped plot points. I want the picture adrressed because of it. It bugs me. At some point it had to stop mattering so much.

So, in this episode Oliver chased down Roy in his street cloths. We learn the contact lenses had a camera in it. The calculator slash Felicity's dad had to get a good look at Olivers face then. So, I think that had to do with why he showed up at Palmer Tech thing. I also think he might know or at least suspect that she was his rival because of her connection to Oliver.
Reply   Post New Thread