Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2014, 04:20 AM
Fan Forum Star

2x17 Birds of Prey: Episode Discussion

birds of prey
2x17 - episode discussion

WHEN THE HUNTRESS
MET THE CANARY

When Frank Bertinelli (guest star Jeffrey Nordling) is arrested, Oliver (Stephen Amell) knows it’s only a matter of time before his daughter, Helena, AKA The Huntress (guest star Jessica De Gouw), returns to town. To make matters worse, Laurel (Katie Cassidy) is picked to try Frank’s case, putting her right in the path of Helena. Oliver tells Sara (Caity Lotz) he will handle his ex-girlfriend, but when Helena takes hostages at the courthouse, including Laurel, the Canary will stop at nothing to save her sister. When The Huntress and Canary meet, an epic battle begins. Meanwhile, Roy (Colton Haynes) realizes he needs to keep Thea (Willa Holland) safe, but doesn’t like the way he is forced to go about it.

John Behring directed the episode written by Mark Bemesderfer & A.C. Bradley (#217).

Basic Rules:
  • Be Respectful of other posters. Not everyone is going to agree or have the same views. Discussions are encouraged, but let’s keep things civil.
  • No Character/Actor Bashing. We love your opinions on storylines, but keep in mind that these are real people who are just trying to do the best with what they are given. We might not always like how things turn out, but just remember things can always get better.
  • Everything is a spoiler until it has aired.
  • Any talk of Illegal Downloading should not be brought up here. Live Streams & such can be discussed through PM's.
  • Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

I've got sunshine
on a cloudy day

Holly ©
kostilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:00 PM
Master Fan

interesting episode... got a little more of Roy and Thea but still no Moira...

Oliver had Roy break up with Thea. Roy was not happy about it but I have to give the writers a shake of the head... Roy opens with "Thea, we have to break up"? So then he goes and Kisses someone else

So is Roy going to try to look after Thea by hiding in the shadows the way Oliver does now? Since Diggle mentioned that Roy was the one tasked with looking after Thea last episode.

But regardless, I don't mind that much, really haven't cared for them that much this season and this apparent love they have I don't always see but moving on.

Not much for Felicity tonight... not sure if Roy and Felicity actually talked to each other but she did respond to a statement he made... so. Progress? IDK. ALong with Felicity Diggle didn't do a ton.

On the plus side, we got to see Detective Lance.

And I guess Laurel black mailed her way back into being an ADA?

Sara was... IDK. She kind of got my nerves tonight although I understood her wanting to protect Laurel.

Oliver... he was just kind of there.

Honestly, I liked the Huntress. She was kind of cool and her dad is dead so I wonder if she is going to end up on the Suicide Squad now? She and Ollie had a little chat at the end.

Other than that the big excitement for me was Slade picking up Thea and apparently kidnapping her for next week

Last edited by bonnie51; 03-26-2014 at 07:12 PM
bonnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:22 PM
Master Fan

I loved.

Sara: "What do you guys think?"
Felicity: "kick her ass"
Diggle nods his head in approval.

I'm glad she did kick her ass because ever since I saw the fight in the sneak peek, I was like WTF, Sara's supposed to be a trained assassin, let her kick someone's ass without Oliver swooping in to help.

Laurel's inclusion was forced as usual, then she blackmailed DA Manhunter to get her job back. Yeah, that's heroic. How is that showing us Laurel's getting her groove back, did she blackmail the Bar to pass as well?

Oliver you are a dumbass. Way to make your sister vulnerable and alone, good job protecting her. The same goes for telling Sara you'll watch Laurel, then leave her alone to rescue a murdering mob boss. I think Sara should've kicked his ass or asked him why he is so hell bent on protecting Frank.

So Helena's in jail, are they going the Faith route with her? or she'll be given to Amanda Waller. Poor Thea everyone is lying to her. I bet Slade tells her some truths.

Also Sara really likes hitting people with sticks.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:36 PM
Master Fan

maybe Laurel gets her grove back by getting her job back? IDK...

Yeah, it was not Oliver's best idea to have Roy dump Thea, thus exposing her to Slade. Which is worse...

anger filled young man whose one saving grave from said anger is Thea...

or anger filled murderer with axe to grind who told you he wanted to destroy everything and everyone you care for....

hmm, Ollie... Tough call
Old 03-26-2014, 09:32 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I loved this episode because of how action packed and on the edge it kept me like every minute.

Oliver... man he's the main character but I'm always so/so about him. Oliver telling Roy to break up with Thea was such a horrible idea. I knew that was going to backfire once he brought it up.
I'm not sad about the break up because Roy & Thea as a pairing has been a mess because of how bad the writing for them has been.

Thus far I feel like the writers can't write couples at all. When Roy told Thea he wanted to break up with her, that scene was just so strange... Roy seemed like a robot during that scene. lol I guess that's how he was suppose to come off as... and then they break up when Thea sees him kissing another woman.

That scene in the end was just sad, Thea believing everybody is lying to her except for Oliver.. which I thought was a bit odd from a viewers perceptive since Thea always wonders why Oliver doesn't open up about anything.
That last scene when Slade meets up with Thea, calls for trouble next week.

Laurel: This was by far my favorite episode of her, we got her being a lawyer again. I don't care how she got the job back, she did what she had to do, and I actually liked what she did. We got her being somewhat of a hero, by wanting to go back and rescue the hostages. We got to see her fight a bit, and the scary thing is that we got to see Laurel meets Black Canary... which concerns me even more about Sara Lance future....

The A-Team, was an A! it was great to see them all together and to piggy back on what user Coconut1214 typed:

Quote:
Sara: "What do you guys think?"
Felicity: "kick her ass"
Diggle nods his head in approval

That scene was so awesome. lolol It was great to see all five together and I hope Roy learns control soon enough.

Sara: I loved her dedication to save her family tonight and I didn't disagree with any of the choices she made tonight.
I'm so upset with how Laurel and Sara relationship is written on the show, I loved their scenes so much tonight... but this whole back and fourth with Oliver is just ridiculous. AND I just don't get it.

I enjoyed the Huntress tonight, and Canary vs Huntress was cool to watch.
eternalfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The Birds of Prey episode was freakin' awesome!

There was so much I loved about it:

-seeing our team of 5 working together

-Oliver having to make that tough choice of protecting Thea by having Roy break up with her. I hope Roy stays in the shadows, that would be cool, kind of like that whole silent guardian type.

-Ollie calling Roy 'Speedy'!!!!!!!!!

-How could Laurel be blind as to not realize that the Canary was Sara? I can understand maybe the voice recognition being used but there were times when Sara spoke in her regular voice.

-I actually liked Laurel in this episode.

-Seeing Quentin team up with Canary and Arrow is always fun to watch and love how Ollie nearly got caught with that phone call.

-And OMG the Huntress/Canary fights were amazing!

-Dude that ending with Slade giving Thea a ride, gah!

-And loved how we got to see where Ollie got his dragon tattoo.

-I feel bad for Thea, once the dam breaks and she knows a lot of the lies it's gonna come crashing on her hard.
Emma♥Neal
Ron_Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:43 AM
Part-Time Fan

The ep was weak but funny in many ways..Highlights:
Laurel and Helena exchanging philosophies and it working with Laurel blackmailing the DA..HOLY WTF!!
Helena being better than Black Canary..well less annoying(guess her work on Dracula did her good)
Felicity taking pot shots at Ollie like S1 Felicity was refreshing to see especially given all the soap aroung her and Ollie in previous eps.
Thea.
SLADE WILSON!!THAT DAMN ENDING
AzureKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:19 PM
Loyal Fan

I'm okay with Laurel blackmailing to get her job back. That is one the least shady/questionable things that have happened in a city filled with people from Oliver's notebook. Now, we have two of the least moral candidates in a mayoral campaign. If Moira can be the Mayor Laurel can at least get her job back.

I'm starting to come around to her. Before I was just so indifferent to her character because her story wasn't incorporated very well into the rest of the series.

I didn't think I would care that much to see Helena again, but her last scene with Oliver was really good. I'm glad that Oliver never gave up on her. And it wasn't because he is or was in love with her. He felt responsible. We're seeing that parallel with his feelings of responsibility towards Roy and a lesser extent Sara. (I think Oliver has to feel guilt for Sara's time in the LoA).

We finally got to see the expanded Team Arrow. I'm not sure if I'm digging (no pun intended) the redefined roles going on, though. Oliver, Felicity, and Diggle's dynamic was always a flawless balance of tension and trust. I don't want to lose the chemistry of the trio.
And I wondered if I could come home"
icon:blonsl|♥Alyssa
SqueegyBeckinheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:38 PM
Part-Time Fan

^To be frank,more screentime for canonical characters like BC/Roy will probably always mean less screen time for Digg/Felicity(although Digg is now canonical to Green Arrow story unlike Felicity) so a throwback to S1 Team Arrow is very unlikely and i'd say writers will want to expand on canonical characters more in the future as well
AzureKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:24 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie51 (View Post)
Oliver had Roy break up with Thea. Roy was not happy about it but I have to give the writers a shake of the head... Roy opens with "Thea, we have to break up"? So then he goes and Kisses someone else
Shades of Future Max and Liz. Anyone here old enough to get the reference? I'm so old I can't quite recall, but I think I left FanForum when it became some other name, before it went back to FanForum. Or is this a resurrection of FF? Anyhoo, TWoP is going dark until the bigwigs figure out how to suck money out of the posters or something, so here I am, back home. And Roy is pulling a Future Max, except instead of FM telling Liz to fake kiss/sleep with someone, Ollie tells Roy to do it. We've progressed in 13 years.

So, yeah, about the episode. I'm not so sure putting you dead girlfriend's tattoo on the back of the guy who also loved her is such a smart move, even if you do (mistakenly, IMO) believe he is responsible for her death.
But we know Slade isn't going to be too smart, because he's the villain, right?
shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:53 PM
Master Fan

Roswell! I haven't thought about that show in awhile. I'm old too. And I hate that TWOP's shutting down.

I think the tat's there to remind Oliver of Shado every day for the rest of his life (even though he can't see it because it's on his back). So it's more like a mark of guilt. Plus Slade lost his mind and is not thinking clearly.

The breaking up with someone to protect them always backfires and I thought Ollie learned that lesson in the last episode with Sara? I suppose it's because Thea can't protect herself like Sara can but wouldn't that mean she'd need Roy around even more? I think Oliver lost his mind too.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:44 PM
Loyal Fan

When exactly is slade going to start the ball of revenge rolling , feels like filler episodes to me when he should be wrecking havoc on oliver up to a climax where finally oliver kicks his mirakuru arse and turns thing around hope they're not waiting for a two parter finale for shizz to hit the fan

I was a bit surprised to see the team conference in the club but then I remember sara is the barmaid
I'm always more or less ok with sara scenes as long as oliver is not involved , I like her as black canary
I was wondering how come laurel didn't figure out its her sister its not same blond haier but still they must have played cosplay when they were kid wouldn't you recognize her ? Anyhoo must be same thinking that has det lance not wonder about his masked daughter spending time with the arrow !

Can't remember if diggle talked this episode but that's ok after his fantastic episode last episode

I find oliver is making a lot of mistakes clouded by fear he feels at what slade has in store for him and he's not seeing the big picture and I fear he's going to be blindsided when slade makes his move , now was not the time to ask roy to break up with her , trust roy to be careful around her he loves her he'd make the effort to control himself now what is suppose to be his rock ? You failed roy and thea oliver queen tsk tsk

I like helena and I really didn't get why they were trying to stop her from killing her deadbeat criminal dad , ok I do but still we were suppose to feel bad for him ? And he still got a bullet pff big loss to starling city

I prefer laurel lawyering she's still annoying but less so than when she's an emotional mess so thanks for little graces
At the end I was like please slade save me from ...and he did lollllll he's so ominous and evil even when doing something as mundane as giving an acquaintance a lift

Kinda meh they fired the ass.DA he's cute plus I'm reading this fic where felicity is dating him after getting tired of oliver's whiplash/arm's length bs. He remind me of the guy playing the lead character bf on orphan black wonder if they're the same coz on that show we saw him in the buff ha ha ha

HAYLIJAH / OLICITY/ OUTLAWQUEEN /KLAROLINE/BAMON /caskett/Olitz /frary/ abby&luka/ Rose&Dimitri / edward&bella/arwen&aragorn/
ladyevenstar22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:12 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Beckett (View Post)
The Birds of Prey episode was freakin' awesome!

There was so much I loved about it:

-seeing our team of 5 working together

-Oliver having to make that tough choice of protecting Thea by having Roy break up with her. I hope Roy stays in the shadows, that would be cool, kind of like that whole silent guardian type.

-Ollie calling Roy 'Speedy'!!!!!!!!!

-How could Laurel be blind as to not realize that the Canary was Sara? I can understand maybe the voice recognition being used but there were times when Sara spoke in her regular voice.

-I actually liked Laurel in this episode.

-Seeing Quentin team up with Canary and Arrow is always fun to watch and love how Ollie nearly got caught with that phone call.
I loved it to lots of action lots of Canary equals win in my book

-And OMG the Huntress/Canary fights were amazing!

-Dude that ending with Slade giving Thea a ride, gah!

-And loved how we got to see where Ollie got his dragon tattoo.

-I feel bad for Thea, once the dam breaks and she knows a lot of the lies it's gonna come crashing on her hard.
Who says the foundry is crowded and the 5 couldn't work together team arrow was awesome tonight lots of great one liners to Felicity was back to being her quirky self,Digg is always awesome,and i love the badass lines Sara/Canary got 'I am who kneed to be' and the way she said 'I was holding back' was delivered in such a badass way i loved it
Canarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

^- Yeah definately.

I even liked Sara's voice changer. It made her sound different but in a very attractive (if I was gay) kind of way
Emma♥Neal
Ron_Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

I liked this episode...

I'm still not okay with Laurel being okay with Ollie and Sara, but it's great to see her in normal scenes again.. I loved when she wanted to fight and I don't really care how she got her job back... I just don't like that she quoted Helena... on the other hand, I think you can't be a hero without having something dark inside you, because therte are always things you have to do, you would't do as a normal person...

All the other stuff was good, but not really worth mentioning
Oh yes... It was Slade who got Ollie tattooed.. I liked that

I've got sunshine
on a cloudy day

Holly ©
kostilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread