Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 05:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

My first time in this thread. I think I might come around a few times, at least in the episode discussion threads. So here is my review:

Okay so here’s some quick background info and then my review

Next to Superman, before Smallville, I never had a #2 superhero. I liked other superheroes but no one seemed good enough for a #2 spot in my book. And then I was introduced to Green Arrow. I was familiar with him slightly but it wasn’t until Smallville when we got our first live action that I saw how awesome he was. He was a Batman with a semi-Robin Hood twist and let’s face it, arrows and quivers are so cool and for someone to make them relevant enough to where they actually work in crime fighting is downright badass.

Not long after Smallville I began to read nearly everything I could get my hands on and I continued to love the character that much more. I finally found my #2 superhero.

So then to find out that the CW was creating a show off the character, that had no way in relation to the Smallville version, I was totally stoked.

The only Smallville “related” thing was that they used the Luthor Mansion as the Queen Residence. I know that place has been used in other productions but it will always remain the Luthor Mansion to me and I’m fine with that

Now on to the rest…

Oliver Queen- Dude Steven as it turned out, heck I kind of figured the moment we saw him in the promo pics, that he really is the right GA/OQ. We got to see that snarky playboy side and surprisingly I liked it.

And then there’s the side of Arrow. Determined, focused and almost menacing.

I really liked how we got flashback moments from his rescue to when he was stranded in the water.

Laurel Lance- I wasn’t quite sure if I was going to like her. I’ve never been fond of her or her superhero identity but strangely enough I did like her. There was just something there which I can’t pinpoint and I really liked her chemistry with both Ollie and Tommy.

I am curious as to where they’ll take the character.

Overall the pilot was excellent. It had enough action and intrigue to be interesting the second we saw Ollie running on the island right at the beginning to the very end when it turned out that his mother was behind his kidnapping. Didn’t see that one coming, if anything I was expecting it to be that husband of hers because the second I saw him I just didn’t trust him. I was totally wrong. Never flagged the mom.

I look forward to seeing what happens and I hope this show lasts.
Emma♥Neal
Ron_Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

This show isn't really my type of show, but I thought to gave it a try because it's new, so what the heck, and I'm happy to say that I really enjoyed it and will definitely be sticking around for a while.

I never watched Smallville conssistently, so I can't compare Stephen Amell's Oliver Queen to Justin Hartley's, but I thought Stephen was great. I like that he was a changed man, but yet have to put a bit of a persona of his old life.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I really don't see a comparison between Smallville's Justin Hartley version and Arrow's Stephen Amell. I tried to but both actor's bring different dynamics to the character so there's no competition for me which is a good thing because I like them both and comparing wouldn't be much fun
Emma♥Neal
Ron_Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:36 AM
New Fan

I thought the pilot was alright. Stephen Amell is a little wooden in his expressions he had only one expression in the whole pilot. I hope he improves as the show goes on

Laurel and ollie don't have any chemistry at all, i cringed at their scenes, i thought tommy and laurel had way more chemistry, and i don't like that because i am so over love triangles on the cw.

All in all the action was good and the pacing was fine, my fav character right now is laurel's dad, him and his detective partner were pretty funny.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Matt Czuchry

Quote:
Laurel Lance- I wasn’t quite sure if I was going to like her. I’ve never been fond of her or her superhero identity but strangely enough I did like her. There was just something there which I can’t pinpoint and I really liked her chemistry with both Ollie and Tommy.
I think that is the Katie Cassidy effect. I think she could play the worst character ever and at least I would still manage to like her

I thought the pilot was good. Not great or outstanding but good. Which isn't really that negative because I usually end up hating pilots and can't get into a show until the 2nd or 3rd episode. But it made me looking forward to the next episode which is as good as it can get
delivering something memorable with every scene."
{9/27 08 & 5/11 15}
Unsung Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Elite Fan

It did well ratings wise. Drew a 1.3 and roughly 4.017 viewers. That's huge for cw where half the shows can't manage a million viewers.

My Tumblr
My Twitter
Chastidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

dont get the rating system. But its great it did well.

warangel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:00 AM
Elite Fan

Its a pretty big deal for the cw.

My Tumblr
My Twitter
Old 10-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Fan Forum Star

Well hopefully they manage to keep those numbers.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Dedicated Fan

awesome news.

hope on "special" episodes its gets even higher ratings. It was a good night for CW
Honeycutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Fan Forum Star

when you say Special do you mean like when characters like China White or other DC characters is introduced?

Old 10-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Extreme Fan

Every time I see Katie C's acting, I think of her on GG, and Willa Holland's acting on theOC as well. Good premiere.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Elite Fan

I loved it. I thought it was really, really good and I liked all of the characters as well as the way the actors played them.

I liked the snark, especially with Detective Lance. The reveal of him being Laurel and Sarah's father was great because it brought so much more dept to the character. I can totally see why he hates Oliver, I'd say he hated him when he dated Laurel as well. I would reckon he holds a bigger grudge then Laurel did.

Tommy Merlyn had some good one liners as well (any line at the expense of Twilight is a plus). I don't particularly mind the potential love triangle because I don't buy Laurel has genuine feelings for Tommy. I think she likes him because she's known him forever and he's charming but I think that's it. I could see him getting a bit obsessive though.

My favourite relationship was actually the one between Oliver and Thea because I think that's when he's at his most genuine. He's not pretending to not care like with Laurel or pretending to be a party animal like with Tommy. He's just a (very good) big brother to his kid sister. And I like Willa Holland, I always have. Plus Thea doesn't strike me as particularly bratty, just lost. I don't think she's like the old Oliver, I think she's trying to be.

I had a feeling the mother would end up being evil because the actress was so awesome.

So happy that the ratings were good for the premiere, lets hope it keeps up.

My Tumblr
My Twitter
Old 10-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

Oliver cheating on laurel makes me not really a fan tho...
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:49 AM
Elite Fan

Yeah I wonder if we'll get more backstory on that because I didn't get the impression that she was the first girl he cheated on Laurel with. Its pretty cold that it was her sister of all people. Pre island and post island Oliver are too completely different people though.

My Tumblr
My Twitter
Reply   Post New Thread