Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2015, 11:25 PM
Master Fan

[4x04] Beyond Redemption: Episode Discussion

Beyond Redemption
4x04 - episode discussion

LAUREL DEALS WITH THE AFTERMATH OF NANDA PARBAT — Laurel (Katie Cassidy) must deal with the repercussions of taking Sara (guest star Caity Lotz) to Nanda Parbat. Meanwhile, Oliver (Stephen Amell) asks Captain Lance (Paul Blackthorne) for a favor and while he’s not surprised at the response, he is surprised at what he finds out next.
Lexi Alexander directed the episode written by Beth Schwartz & Ben Sokolowski (#405). Original airdate 10/28/2015.

Promos

Arrow 4x04 Extended Promo "Beyond Redemption"
Arrow 4x04 New Zealand Promo (HD)

Promotional photos

Arrow - Episode 4.04 - Beyond Redemption - Promotional Photos | Spoilers

Sneak Peeks

None yet.

Basic Rules:
  • Be Respectful of other posters. Not everyone is going to agree or have the same views. Discussions are encouraged, but let’s keep things civil.
  • No Character/Actor Bashing. We love your opinions on storylines, but keep in mind that these are real people who are just trying to do the best with what they are given. We might not always like how things turn out, but just remember things can always get better.
  • Everything is a spoiler until it has aired.
  • Any talk of Illegal Downloading should not be brought up here. Live Streams & such can be discussed through PM's.
  • Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Old 10-28-2015, 06:18 PM
Elite Fan

Loved the episode tonight. Looking forward to Constatine next week.

Seriously Paul Blackbourne is a phenomenal actor. They really need to write for him more often. Love or hate Quentin Im never taken out of the moment when he is on screen, which has happened at least once for every other actor on the show including John Barrowman. I've always thought he was the best actor in the show (since Moira/Susana was killed off) and he just proved it again tonight. I had a feeling Quentin was going to end up working Darhk from the inside which makes him a good candidate for the grave. Diggle and him are my top choices but I won't get into that. Quentin/Oliver scenes were amazing tonight. Then again I always love their scenes. I loved Oliver admitting he always craved Quentins approval. I always thought that myself.

Apparently Thea knows Oliver is going to propose? She did ask Felicity why she wasn't wearing it. So once again why did Oliver not propose? Love the end with Thea being so supportive and getting five monkeys for Oliver.

I'm glad we finally get to see Felcity mourned a bit over Ray. I was annoyed with the fact that she didn't seem bothered. However, I'm not sure I like the fact that she seems to be keeping her feelings from Oilver. I guess they still need to give them obstacles though.

I loved all the fight scenes again. I was defintely happy to see the Canary cry back in action. I would kind of like to see Oliver be a competent fighter. They seems to take him back a step in skills. He seems to be needing to be saved a lot so far this season.
Cmtaylor531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:24 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I love the new Arrow labs. just amazing!

I felt so bad for Sara during this episode. she's this way because Laurel brought her back and the selfish part of me wasn't too upset that Laurel brought her bad through the Nanda Parbat but after watching tonight... man that's just so sad. She suffered dying and she gotta continue suffer by being forced back to life.

Laurel is in approved character to me but dang, watching Sara this way is just painful... especially knowing how much she's already went to. Sara Lance life has just been tragic. I wish the writers can give us more of Laurel's point of view because this storyline hasn't made her look good....

Laurel is an upsetting character to me during this episode only because she was all about not keeping secrets but when it comes to her it's different.
However, I loved Laurel telling Quentin the truth about Sara... and you can just see the weigh fall off Quentin's shoulders when he saw Sara alive. I just love how much Lance loves his daughter.

Nice for Felicity telling her new friend Curtis that she is not revealing Green Arrow's secret because she sure does have a history of telling other people his secret or wanting to tell others. lol
I loved that Curtis/Felicity scene when Curtis asked Felicity why she didn't respond to the text.

I love Quentin asking for a code name. Detective was a cool name.

Can I mention the thing that is frustrating to me in the flashbacks? Oliver's hair. I mean when Oliver returned in the Pilot didn't he have extreme long hair and covered in a beard that made him a bit unrecognizable?

I understand why Felicity was dumbfounded by the A-Team bringing Quentin into the Lab... like really?

I love that the writers aren't forgetting that Felicity/Ray were together, yes she was in love with Oliver the whole time but she did have some good feelings for Ray, so I love that the writers are didn't just forget that since Arrow writers seem to not remember how to write former lovers, relationships.
So, without any interaction at all. I appreciated all things Ray/Felicity related.

Felicity and her obsession with seen men workout.

I love that Quentin and Oliver scene, and Oliver yelling and getting his rage out on Lance was very much justified. That scene meant so much because Oliver wanted Lance to see him in a better light, that is part of the reason why he wanted to run for Major. I don't know why, but after that scene I had this feeling that Quentin is the grave we saw Barry and Oliver in at the end of episode 4x01. Only time will tell though.

Quentin help save Oliver from Warner was awesome.
AND I can't ever get tired of that Laurel Canary cry.

I seriously love anytime Oliver tells a person they have failed this city. lol

Oliver Queen for Major is just awesome. Talk about a different kind of Major from the typical kind.

Sara out on the loose and the preview for next episode looks AMaziNG!
Pretty good episode. Paul Blackthrone! we need more of him.

Last edited by eternalfate; 10-28-2015 at 06:41 PM
eternalfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:37 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I love that Quentin and Oliver scene, and Oliver yelling and getting his rage out on Lance was very much justified. That scene meant so much because Oliver wanted Lance to see him in a better light, that is part of the reason why he wanted to run for Major. I don't know why, but after that scene I had this feeling that Quentin is the grave we saw Barry and Oliver in at the end of episode 4x01. Only time will tell though.
Quentin/Oliver were the highlight tonight. Loved every moment of it. Quentin had a good story arc for the night. They need to write more for Paul because he always delivers. I always thought he was a real possibility for the grave and now it feels even more real. After tonight though it just makes me realize how much Quentin/Paul would be missed if that happened. Gawd. I hate this grave thing.

Forgot to comment on the code name thing. I loved that he switch from Captian and just called him detective.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmtaylor531 (View Post)
Loved the episode tonight. Looking forward to Constatine next week.

Seriously Paul Blackbourne is a phenomenal actor. They really need to write for him more often. Love or hate Quentin Im never taken out of the moment when he is on screen, which has happened at least once for every other actor on the show including John Barrowman.

I'm glad we finally get to see Felcity mourned a bit over Ray. I was annoyed with the fact that she didn't seem bothered. However, I'm not sure I like the fact that she seems to be keeping her feelings from Oilver. I guess they still need to give them obstacles though.

I loved all the fight scenes again. I was defintely happy to see the Canary cry back in action. I would kind of like to see Oliver be a competent fighter. They seems to take him back a step in skills. He seems to be needing to be saved a lot so far this season.
Same here! the promo next week looks. I CAN'T WAIT! I definitely agree with you on Blackthrone! he is always just so awesome so it was great to see him a lot today with some great material to work with.

I definitely agree. Ship them or not, it was realistic.
One thing I loved about the writing for Felicity this season is that her feelings and character traits are not just being stipped away and she's just "Oliver's girlfriend" That's one of the reasons why I think Oliver and Felicity has been perfect for each other this year, they are making each other better without stripping away how they are as characters.

Canary Cry is always awesome to see!

Quote:
Quentin/Oliver were the highlight tonight. Loved every moment of it. Quentin had a good story arc for the night. They need to write more for Paul because he always delivers. I always thought he was a real possibility for the grave and now it feels even more real. After tonight though it just makes me realize how much Quentin/Paul would be missed if that happened. Gawd. I hate this grave thing.

Forgot to comment on the code name thing. I loved that he switch from Captian and just called him detective.
They definitely were, it was nice to see Amell and Blackthrone have so much to team up with today. This is I believe the most they have interacted with each other in a single episode.
I never even though it was a possibility but today opened my eyes to it, especially when Oliver said one of the reasons he wanted to run for Major is to impress Quentin. ...
I hate this grave things as well.

That Detective scene was awesome.
eternalfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Fan

God this show annoys the hell out of me. If you aren't Oliver/Olicty then they could care less about you. The fact that they have given us the barest of bones with Laurel bringing back Sara makes me so pissed. We haven't gotten any scenes getting inside Laurels head, seeing what she is feeling with bringing back Sara, struggling with her situation, actually using this to develop her even the slightest. And now Sara is free which means she can't even be the one to reach out for help because she feels the need to, she HAS to reach out to them now that her sister is loose. If I had the will power I would just quit this show.

Rutina was wasted, I expected her to at least be used for a couple of episodes and get a good use out of her.

Oliver/Quentin scenes were the best, they actually put effort into it.
Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:33 PM
Elite Fan

^ I think we will get insight in to Laurel's feelings next week. At least I'm hoping so. I can't be mad though because I freaking loved Oliver and Lance tonight. And we got to see the Canary Cry back in action.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
^ I think we will get insight in to Laurel's feelings next week. At least I'm hoping so. I can't be mad though because I freaking loved Oliver and Lance tonight. And we got to see the Canary Cry back in action.
May be a little to late. It shouldn't have to take Sara going on a rampage and putting people in danger to finally get some insight into Laurel. Sara choking her to death should've been her awakening. She should've went to the team and told them everything that happened. They go to collect Sara and she is MIA, at least Laurel doesn't look AS bad and she went to the team on her own terms instead of her hand being forced.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:55 PM
Absolute Fan

Arrow's overall quality has never dipped for me, but even with as high-quality as the series' writing has been for four seasons, there are moments that shine brighter than others, and tonight's episode was one of those times. There's not a single thing about tonight's episode that I can think of to complain about. That said, these are the things that stood out the most for me in the awesomeness that we got:
* Oliver confronting Lance about his connection to Darhk
* Laurel's Canary Cry (this is literally the first time I've seen it used, and boy was it awesome)
* Felicity and Curtis Holt's scenes
* Liza Warner and her fellow corrupt cops as Villains of the Week (it's been a while since we've had mundane antagonists on the show, so it was nice to see a return to that formula, if only for one week)
* Oliver's Mayoral campaign officially being launched (great way to once again bring in elements from the comics in a way that feels organic and not just 'fanservice')
* Quentin breaking down and sobbing in the basement where Laurel had 'stashed' Sara

This season continues to just keep getting better and better (the show always does, IMO, so it's not really all that surprising), and next week's episode, with the return of Matt Ryan's John Constantine, looks like it's very much going to continue that streak, and I can't wait.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Fan

Why has no one allowed Sara to change? She's been wearing the same clothes for the past year.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:11 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Apparently Thea knows Oliver is going to propose? She did ask Felicity why she wasn't wearing it. So once again why did Oliver not propose? Love the end with Thea being so supportive and getting five monkeys for Oliver.
I think she knows that he has the ring (cause it was their mothers, he probably wanted to check with her.. plus maybe he just wanted to share that with his sister) but she probably doesn't know when he's going to do it. He did seem to put it on hold in 4x01, but with Thea hearing about an announcement and that Oliver was super happy, she jumped to engagement.

Quote:
Mostly I excused it because it had been 5 months since she would have found out.. though they could have touched on it a little. I was never the biggest fan of her and Ray.. not just because I'm an olicity fan, but Ray really was stalkerish at the beginning, and she was trying to move on but in love with Oliver the whole time. But she did care about him, and it's good to address it.
I get her not talking to Oliver about it, but that's not the last we'll hear on that.

Quote:
I was defintely happy to see the Canary cry back in action.
Personally I don't like the canary cry.

Oh Laurel.. I did feel bad for her in this ep because of her naive look on the situation and how bad she just wants Sara back and okay.

Oliver/Lance scenes were great.
Kyls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:42 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter (View Post)
* Oliver confronting Lance about his connection to Darhk
* Felicity and Curtis Holt's scenes
* Oliver's Mayoral campaign officially being launched (great way to once again bring in elements from the comics in a way that feels organic and not just 'fanservice')
*Quentin breaking down and sobbing in the basement where Laurel had 'stashed' Sara
* Matt Ryan's John Constantine
These are my favorite parts of the episode.

I especially loved getting to see Oliver in his scene with Felicity at the Mayoral campaign.

When Lance broke down sobbing over Sara, it made me tear up, too.

Felicity and Curtis are awesome. I hope they become BFF's.

When Oliver went to Lance and brought up him working for Darhk, I thought Lance was gonna deny it at first. Glad that he didn't, and that it's out there, now.

I never watched Constantine, so I'm curious as to how they'll fit this guy in with the show.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:45 AM
Absolute Fan

This episode Im going to have to maybe watch a second time to truly decide how I feel about it. There were some things I loved about the episode and some things I could have done with out.

But overall the quality of this episode is top notch and show that the writers are on winning streak creatively this season. It definitely feels like a new and improved season 2 story telling vibe.

For me the Lance and Oliver relationship focus in this episode was hands down the best part of the episode!!! Paul and Stephen completely brought it this episode and if last weeks episode was about why the Original Team Arrow is o important to Arrow's world then this episode was about why Lance/Oliver' relationship is so important. Its just a shame that this episode has me more and more convinced Lance is a goner

I love love love that Oliver admitted that Lance is the person who he aspires to and whose approval and acceptance he looks for. That really summed up all the thoughts and theories I have had about the Lance Oliver relationship and I love that they have sort I had that fatherly moment "That'll do pig" (babe referrence) between Lance and Oliver (but yeah he is really really dead).

I adored Oliver's Mayoral storyline and how it brought Thea and he closer. Also that speech....it the pinnacle of how far Oliver has come as a man and a hero and leader from the pilot. I am really excited to see how this storyline pans out. Plus I loved Stephen's delivery and acting in the scene where he sees all the Interns

In fact Stephen was all kinds of funny and adorable in his acting this episode- particularly in most of his scenes with Felicity.

Thea was all kinds of win for me this episode. I feel like she is stepping into the Cordelia Chase or Anya role in Buffy where she makes even the most depressing episodes fun! Plus she kicks ass! She is fast becoming my favourite character this season! And potentially the most interesting character.

I actually really enjoyed the villain of the week evil cop storyline and I think the villain of the week aspect of the show has been a big improvement on last season.

That's what I liked. The rest brought a whole big feeling of UGH to me

I wasn't a fan of the ambiguity they made over Felicity's feelings for Ray. I know and can theorise on the fact that Felicity just cares about her friend and feels guilty about how that relationship played out and the fact that she was happy with Oliver and probably bottled up her grief over Ray to not take away from Oliver and her own happiness is just amplifying her emotions and yada yada

But I just couldn't get behind the fact that to me it feels like the writer purposely created some ambiguity over Felicity's feelings about and for Ray in order to set up some contrived drama between Oliver and her later on where he becomes concern or jealous about Felicity/Ray when we all know that the outcome will be that Felicity is still as madly in love with Oliver as ever and that once Ray is alive and well he will fly away to spin off city. Also I never really brought that Ray and Felicity were all that deep of a relationship anyway He was a rebound she dated for like 3 weeks.

The Laurel Sara stuff was a little odd for me this week mainly because Laurel came off a little crazed that it was hard to get a read on her and her thought process. Im hoping next week will be an improvement.

I'm also annoyed that 4 episodes in I am not seeing this Year of Diggle. It still feels like he is a little sidelined I would like to see more of how Andy and HIVE connect to the overarching plot with DD.

Also not enough DD.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:53 AM
Extreme Fan

Stephen Amell is becoming a really good actor. I was amazed.

Loved Oliver and Quentin. Quiver

Laurel is pretty awesome.

Sara is pretty awesome.

Overall a pretty awesome episode. Much better than anything from season 3.

I am happy.
kabous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

What an amazing episode!

By far the best scene was the confrontation Oliver had with Quentin. I loved how Ollie called him out on all of his crap. And even yelled at him.

Of course the fight scenes were amazing especially once the team found a way around the anti-vigilante weapons.

OMG, that new lair is sweet!!!

It's great to see though that Quentin will be working with the team as an insider.

And Sara- amazing to see Kaity's acting.

Wonder when Felicity will discover Ray is trying to make contact.

Loved at the end how Oliver used his opening dialogue in his campaign speech.

~*~*~

Not sure how I feel about next week's episode. Not a fan of Constantine.
Emma♥Neal
Ron_Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread