Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2015, 07:36 PM
Master Fan

[4x02] The Candidate: Episode Discussion

The Candidate
4x02 - episode discussion

JERI RYAN GUEST STARS; INTRODUCING ECHO KELLUM — When an old family friend, Jessica Danforth (guest star Jeri Ryan), tells Oliver (Stephen Amell) and Thea (Willa Holland) that she is going to run for mayor, both Queens are concerned considering the last three mayors have been murdered. Despite their protests, Jessica makes her announcement so the Green Arrow and Speedy vow to protect her. Meanwhile, Thea begins to exhibit effects from the Lazarus Pit. In addition, Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) is faced with a tough business decision and looks to one of her employees, Curtis Holt (guest star Echo Kellum), for help.
John Behring directed the episode written by Marc Guggenheim & Keto Shimizu (#402). Original airdate 10/14/2015.

Promos

‘Arrow’ 4×02 Promo: ‘The Candidate’ | The CW Source

Promotional photos

Arrow - Episode 4.02 - The Candidate - Promotional Photos | Spoilers

Sneak Peeks

None yet.

Producer's Preview

None yet.

Basic Rules:
  • Be Respectful of other posters. Not everyone is going to agree or have the same views. Discussions are encouraged, but let’s keep things civil.
  • No Character/Actor Bashing. We love your opinions on storylines, but keep in mind that these are real people who are just trying to do the best with what they are given. We might not always like how things turn out, but just remember things can always get better.
  • Everything is a spoiler until it has aired.
  • Any talk of Illegal Downloading should not be brought up here. Live Streams & such can be discussed through PM's.
  • Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Last edited by Charlone; 10-14-2015 at 07:45 PM
Charlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:31 PM
Elite Fan

I really enjoyed the epiosde tonight. A lot of interesting stuff going on and geting set up.

First off last week i still thought the flashbacks were sort of shoe horned in and didnt fit with the episode becuase of the fast pace. I felt like they handled that much better this week. The cuts from the present to the past and back felt more natural this time. Lets hope it stays that way this season. Im defintely intrigued by the story so farl. Very curious to see what is going to happen there.

I loved the action scenes tonight. The opening scene was awesome. i loved the Oliver/Laurel arrow line scene. It looked awesome. Then later them all dropping down through the sky light looked bad ass.

The best stuff was crazy Thea. I loved Oliver and her going at it. It was cool. I like how he didnt back down and tried to prove something was wrong. Also how creepy was she when that guy caught fire? Is it wrong that I want her to go full on crazy? I kind of want to see her as teh bad guy for a bit maybe. Am i the only one?

I loved all the Thea/Laurel scenes. I like them togther. I could go for more of that. Might be the most redeeming thing about them in Nanda Parbat. I dont see how Laurel thinks its a good idea to do this to Sara after seeing Crazy Thea first hand. Ill forgive her though because she did seem to understand Oliver doing anything for Thea. However, it would have come off less hypocritical had she just not told Dig keeping secrets always ends up badly. Oh and you know because we all know this contrived storyline is really for Legends anyway.

I like Felicity/Curtis. I wasnt sure i was going to at first. I liked her in CEO mode. Although is it just a coincidence that she manged to stave off imminent firing for "6 months." That is when the board said they would need Felicity and Curtis project that doesnt exist. Is that a coincidnece that it coincides with the Funeral time line? hmm

I knew from the early on that this was gonna set up for Oliver to run for Mayor but i wass kind of hoping it would last a little longer. I liked the set up though. At least the reason felt believible enough. No one else will run for it because so many mayors have died. The one person brave enough to try had her daughter kidnapped. SO yea... I can at least see Olivr running has believible. Do we think someone will step up and try to run against him? Maybe DD himself?
Cmtaylor531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:39 PM
Passionate Fan

I so want Oliver to punch out Lauel's dad. He is tiresome.

Love Thea and Laurel and going to the pit to see if they can "fix" her and getting Sara back sounds great.

I do agree that keeping secrets is not a good idea.
Bronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:41 PM
Master Fan

Didn't watch the episode yet so I'm going to comment later - sorry for being late! Today I visited and I thought it was Tuesday and that I still had time to make the thread
Old 10-14-2015, 08:47 PM
Passionate Fan

Tonight's episode was great. I loved all the TA stuff. Canary going down the line was cool and I like Oliver and Speedy fighting together. The a was actually really awesome.

I usually don't care for the flashbacks, but they are working for me so far.

I loved the stuff with Felicity and the company. I love that she's passionate about it and it's going to be learning process. I really liked Felicity and Curtis. I can't wait to see what they come up with.

Dig was really intense tonight. I hope he opens up to the others cause this h a s always been a tough, dark spot for him.

Oliver, I'm loving him this season. He's so much lighter and funny. He's also more hopeful, supportive, and open. It's nice to see that reversal, especially in all of his relationships.

The a and Laurel had some nice scenes, but I can't believe she's going to take Sara to NP after Thea's crazy came out right in front of her. I also didn't care for the writing in terms of her taking The a to NP.

The villains so far are great. I like that Anarky will be around for a bit. Damien is really scary and intense. I'm very intrigued by him. Can't wait to see more.

Love was here. It made me complete, happy. How could I easily let it go?

my LJ - Icon credit is Luv!
hannahfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:57 PM
Loyal Fan

Laurel is the worst! I hope my girl Sara comes out of the pit as cray cray as Thea did in 220 and the first thing she does is snap the twit's neck. What a horribly, selfish, self-centered individual.

Damian Darhk continues to be a truly awesome and entertaining villain.

Everything that was Felicity, Felicity/Curtis, Olicity was made of win. Except for the final Olicity reveal with Oliver deciding to run for Mayor. They were being way too heavy handed with that in this episode. Although, I'm happy no woman had to die in order to further this OQ plot.

Not enough Diggle!

Crazy Thea was really interesting. However, broken Thea at the end was really sad to watch...pity she has such a ****ty roommate.

Anarky wasn't all that great, mostly a let down but that's OK I have DD as the main villain.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:08 AM
Elite Fan

Copying my post from Emily's board, so the focus will be on her:

Felicity:

Adorable, as usual.

This had me laughing. God, the team needs Felicity for this humour.

I also loved Felicity wanting a code name. Girl has a point, especially when Oliver named her over the comm's. So.. arrow writers give Felicity a code name, okay?

Wow, Felicity must have been dressed for her first day really early, and Oliver had Felicity's lunch packed really early too. Just an observation.. IDEK what time it was supposed to be in the first scenes.

Felicity as CEO: She was cute being all excited for her first day. Felt bad for her having to fire people, but she turned it around with the help of Curtis. Kinda. Or she will.
Did anyone else take notice of the "6 months" until the annual shareholders meeting where Felicity is to be presenting one of Curtis' ideas? Not sure if there should be any significance in that, but it puts it around the time of the flash forward from last episode. Lets hope she's at that meeting. *glares at writers*

Felicity/Curtis: I like them so far. Seems like Curtis will be a great at-work support for her, and they'll enjoy talking/playing with tech stuff.

Olicity: I thought we'd get a kiss in that scene where he gave her a fern (aww it's a new love fern.. ahem, I mean a first day as a boss fern) and packed her lunch (love it) but no.. no Felicity/Oliver in GA suit kiss.. yet. Better be coming.

"WE have money now." God, just get married already.
Laurel and Thea's faces at this amused me too. And I loved the use of "girlfriend"

I liked this:

And I hope we get more balcony scenes. That was nice, though Felicity face at Oliver's mayor plans.. I do not think she is on board for that. I mean she'll support him I'm sure, but I wouldn't blame her for not loving the extra danger it puts them in.

Flashbacks: Eh.

DD: I'm curious as to what his problem was with Anarchy kidnapping the mayor candidates daughter. Any thoughts, anyone?

The Laurel/Digg scene was nice.

I was surprised that Laurel still didn't know what had happened to Thea. I hate that Laurel turned it into a thing about Sara though. Ohhhh Laurel.
Kyls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:44 AM
Fan Forum Star

LOVED LAUREL!! LOVED LAUREL/THEA!!! LOVED LAUREL/DIGG!!!

..... and that is all
Old 10-15-2015, 04:39 AM
Absolute Fan

What a great follow up to the premiere! The pacing so far this season is improvement over last season.

The highlight of the episode for me was the Anarchy/DD storyline with Anarchy the MVP of the episode followed by Thea and Felicity.

Anarchy was great! Im intrigued and excited about where his storyline is going to go especially in light of what Thea did to him. He feel like what the Joker or Lex Luthor or even Damien Dahrk would have been before they matured into the evilness and villainy ways. I also really love the interplay and dynamic between him and Damien Darhk. They are clearly setting up a power battle between the two villians, the whole youth vs experience argument.

Speaking of Damien he once again impressed and Im loving his whole Frank Underwood/Benjamin Linus restrained humourous form of evilness. He seriously craps all over Slade in terms of being a charismatic Villian in my opinion.

I had sort of let go of my DD isFelicity's father theory when the writers made it sound like they didn't have any plans for the father storyline, but since they are also saying that they don't know who they are going to kill- which is BS and everybody knows it- I wonder if they are also pretending about F's dad as well. And I found it vey interesting that Damien found Madison being kidnapped so abhorrent because she was "someones daughter" very interesting indeed. He even scolded Lance like a father would their child. There may be some hope yet

Crazy Thea is cool. The fight between her and Oliver was intense and I love this whole different element to their relationship and Im intrigued to see where it goes from here.

Although I don't see how Laurel and Diggle could have been with Thea every night- Laurel even living with Thea- and being completely oblivious to what going on with her. Combined with Laurel and Thea going behind Diggle's back to bring Oliver home and Diggle keeping he secrets about HIVE and not sharing anything with Laurel about Nanda Parbat it proves to me that for however cohesive Diggle/Laurel/Thea became as a fighting trio over the past 5 months- and they were kick ass- they still don't have the level of trust and friendship that Oliver Felicity and Diggle had however strained that friendship now is.

I did however enjoy how Thea's storyline ties into Laurel's. Although WOW Oliver not only didn't tell Laurel he was going to Nanda Parbat but then didn't bother to tell her the Ras "killed" Thea, that Thea was brought back to life by the Lazarus Pit and that the reason Oliver even joined Ras in the first place was because of that deal- what di he tell Laurel? And Diggle and Felicity didn't share up either. Hopefully this is the last of the nobody tells Laurel storyline as I feel she has done nothing to prove she is untrustworthy of being kept in th loop.

I guess I could maybe justify it as Oliver (rightfully) assuming that if he told Laurel she would see it as a way to bring back Sara- because Laurel has a tendency on occasion to act on her emotions rather then sense. But in a way Laurel's naivety about what happened Thea makes her actions with Sara more understandable in my eyes and why she wasn't asked to tag along to NP the first time.

She is coming from this from a very narrow point of view having not experience what the others did with Thea's resurrection. Right now from Laurel's perspective she has heard Thea tell her that she was brought back from dead, she is alive and healthy and what side effects she has seen from Thea don't seem all that bad or unmanageable. Laurel thinks she has stumbled on to some magic instant gravy just add water cure and she thinks why not my sister? Why cant I just bring Sara back and repair all that pain and damaged dne to my father and I? But Sara is going to be a whole other kettle of fish.

I loved C.E.O Felicity. I love how strong she was while also being herself and that she is clearly being set up as someone who will play an influential role in Star City in a more public way then her masked friends. Already she has made a difference to Star City's residents lives.

I also love her friendship with Curtis and hope he becomes a new Felicity and we can keep him forever. I feel like him and Felicity are more equals then Felicity and Ray, who came across as condescending and competitive underneath their banter. Plus their interactions aren't anywhere in the same vicinity as painfully forced like Ray and Felicity's were.

(Although I roll my eyes at how the writers are still trying hard to make the audience think Felicity is doomed with the whole "6months"...the harder they try the less likely she is the one in the coffin...so keep it up writers )

I also love how Felicity's storyline melds with Oliver's Mayoral storyline- Power Couple of Star City Yo! I was never against the whole Oliver/Mayor storyline and trusted the writers would find a way for it to make sense or seem reasonable enough and I think they did a pretty good job. Nobody wants the job, DD and his goons are killing anyone who tries and runs,and their long game is to see the city destroy itself. Oliver is the only one capable enough to run for Mayor without being scared off, the city needs a Mayor and now that the love he and Felicity have has made him more optimistic and hopeful he wants to bring that hope and optimism back to the city. So far so good in my books and Im just going to enjoy the storyline for what it is.

Olicity

They were once again all kinds of adorable and showed what a mature adult and healthy relationship with a solid foundation they are building between themselves. I love the fact that they talk about themselves as a joined unit rather then you and me, they make decisions together and where they go off on their own they keep the other in involved.

I thought Oliver line about the "things that are most worthwhile don't come easy" is a beautiful description of Oliver and Felicity's relationship.

My favourite moment though had to be their adorable married couple bickering in the opening scene about the code names and Felicity's remarks about the fact that she knows wen Oliver says they will talk about it later that its not going to happen and Oliver's amused smiles at his future-wife while taking down bad guys. You are already married Oliver- just give Felicity the damn ring!

I appreciate that they had Oliver say that coming back to Star City was the right decision. I was worried they were going to have Oliver resent Felicity a bit because he didn't want to leave but I think being out fighting bad guys with his friends doing what he is good at has reignited his passion and now he gets to flirt with Felicity over comms and kiss and cuddle her in the lair being the Arrow or Green Arrow isn't as bad as it once was.

The only things I didn't like this episode was Diggle's storyline as it felt like he was just there, like back ground scenery rather then an active participant and his anger at Oliver is now bordering on the line between being understandable and justifiable and childish and excessive.

I also feel like Lance is continually shoe horned into plot and his whole deal with Damien still makes no sense to me that I firmly believe he is probably the one who will end up dying in 6 months.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I really think Olicity is amazing this season.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:53 AM
Passionate Fan

I love the way Olicity are working as their own unit this season. Ite awesome to watch. The team dynamic is great too, but everyone definitely needs to find their groove together.

I don't think Laurel is horrible. I just think she needs to heed the warnings on this one, but we know she won't. I also think she should leave The a out of it. Sara is her sister so I get if she wants to be a little selfish at the prospect of bringing her back, but think about The a a little bit on this one in terms of Oliver, Malcolm, and what she was forced to do last season.

Plus, writing wise, how did Laurel and Dig not see The A's crazy?

Old 10-15-2015, 10:48 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandiexjeyton (View Post)
I really think Olicity is amazing this season.
Me too!
Old 10-15-2015, 11:18 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I loved this episode so much.

I liked that although Oliver and Felicity are together, they have their own storylines. So they aren't only in a relationship, they are still themselves in other things. Felicity as CEO was amazing, you really saw her pain when she had to fire people. I love her and Curtis little duo friendship.

Diggle, I love him! and I love how he is still not happy to see Oliver back yet... I usually dislike when things get brushed off quickly on other shows so I love that Arrow isn't taking the obvious approach and it'll take some time for them to get what they once had... Diggle just doesn't trust Oliver anymore.... actually he just don't see him as his friend anymore. Pretty sad.
Diggle and Laurel scene I really loved! it's great seeing how much their friendship grew in the six months where Oliver was not around.

Laurel and Thea! love their friendship! we really didn't get enough of it during the first three seasons so I love how much we are getting this year of the roomies. I knew right away that Laurel was going to bring Sara back once Oliver and Thea told her about how Thea came back to life. I'm happy Sara will be back but man Laurel. Sara might come back wrong. I mean Sara was already a bit dark when she returned back and now when she returns again? she'll most likely be more darker than Thea right now.

I loved Thea in this episode as well, she is a darker character but it's so interesting to watch!

The ending. man I can't wait for this storyline!
eternalfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:58 AM
Passionate Fan

Thea was amazing this episode. She kicked butt and scared the crap outta me when she attacked Oliver and set Anarky on fire.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:18 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahfan (View Post)
Thea was amazing this episode. She kicked butt and scared the crap outta me when she attacked Oliver and set Anarky on fire.
I'm digging Crazy Thea as well. I want to see her full on bat**** crazy. I almost think it would be awesome to see her go dark for a bit.
Cmtaylor531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread