Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2015, 07:18 PM
Master Fan

[3x11] Midnight City: Episode Discussion

Midnight City
3x11- episode discussion

SUIT UP — Arsenal (Colton Haynes) and Diggle (David Ramsey) confront Laurel (Katie Cassidy) about trying to step into her sister’s shoes and warn her to stop before she gets herself killed. However, when Brick (guest star Vinnie Jones) kidnaps the city’s Aldermen and threatens to kill them all unless the police evacuate The Glades, it’s all suits on deck. Meanwhile, Ray (Brandon Routh) steps in to help Lance (Paul Blackthorne) and the police force fight Brick, showing Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) a new side of her boss. Malcom (John Barrowman) tells Thea (Willa Holland) that Ra’s al Ghul (Matt Nable) is after him and his family and they must leave town immediately.
Nick Copus directed the episode written by Wendy Mericle & Ben Sokolowski (#311). Original airdate 1/28/2015.

Promos

‘Arrow’ 3×11 Extended Promo: ‘Midnight City’ | The CW Source

Promotional photos

‘Arrow’ 3×11 Promotional Photos: ‘Midnight City’ | The CW Source

Sneak Peeks

‘Arrow’ 3×11 Sneak Peek: ‘Midnight City’ | The CW Source

Basic Rules:
  • Be Respectful of other posters. Not everyone is going to agree or have the same views. Discussions are encouraged, but let’s keep things civil.
  • No Character/Actor Bashing. We love your opinions on storylines, but keep in mind that these are real people who are just trying to do the best with what they are given. We might not always like how things turn out, but just remember things can always get better.
  • Everything is a spoiler until it has aired.
  • Any talk of Illegal Downloading should not be brought up here. Live Streams & such can be discussed through PM's.
  • Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Old 01-28-2015, 09:44 AM
New Fan

I think it is a little soon for Laurel to become the Black Canary.
Aboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Fan

I feel like Michele watching Pretty Woman. I just get really happy when they finally let her suit up and fight.

Overall, it was a good episode. Laurels scenes were GOLD tonight. She was kickass even if she was stumbling through it. She showed determination, ambition, strength, vulnerability. One of her best episodes yet. I loved her scene with Roy, her scene with Felicity, and her scene with Diggle. Digg trying to make her work bts was GOLD. She was like "lol.no."

Though I have to say that I am OVER this whole Quentin storyline and everyone going out of their way to make sure he thinks that Sara is alive. It has just played out to long and they are doing to much. It is sweet and great that Laurel and co. want to make sure that he is ok, but having her impersonate Sara on the phone and in person is just overkill for me.

And I feel like Ollies "death" has not played out as strong as it could have. These two episodes would've been a lot better with us not seeing him in present day and strongly just focusing on flashbacks/TA. By the promo it seems like he will be back which I feel like will be to quick. Would be great if he was gone at least 2 months instead of like 3 weeks.
Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:52 PM
Loyal Fan

Enjoyed the episode a lot (minus the lying to Quentin, but i'm going to pretend that didn't happen for now)

The dream. oh the dream. so sad
Maseo and Tatsu
Roy was actually really good in this episode. loved the Roy/Malcolm confrontation
Liked Laurel in this episode, glad they showed her in experienced fighting style
Ray and Felicity helicopter scenes was hilarious
Felicity encouraging Laurel was great, and her joining the team was good
Like the laurel/Roy team up was good.
Sadly Diggle didn't get as much to do though. Liked his scene with Roy
Maseo/Dj twist was great! (although I sadly was spoiled)
Glad Thea kinda stood up to her dad even though she is still clueless, Merlyn is up to something Shady though

Last edited by ban1o; 01-29-2015 at 01:56 AM
ban1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

yeah I think it was early for her to be black canary too but she did awesome even though had some hiccups

did not see the maseo and dj thing either

glad team arrow is working again together without Ollie,yeah I would have like to see oliver not come back yet,its a bit soon but im glad hes alive

using saras voice I just want Quentin to find out already its dragging a bit

glad thea stood up and decided to stay

enjoy the flashbacks

{}
fire for a heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Holy hell what an amazing episode.

I think what I loved most about it was the fact that we got to see Oliver's partners take up the fight for Starling without him.

I don't believe it's too early for Laurel to become the Canary at all. If you know the character then you knew it was bound to happen and I've loved the progression of it. Been waiting since the Pilot for this to happen.

Seeing Laurel falter was one of the best things, seeing her not have it easy, seeing her doubt herself and want to give up and then seeing what it would mean for the city if she and the vigilantes weren't there to stand up to the injustice- those are truly some of the best stories out there. They're pick me ups and they give hope when all hope seems lost.

I don't even see her as a wannabe Canary. She's learning the ropes, figuring out her style. You don't see that kind of thing with superheroes too often so it's actually refreshing to see that she's not the Black Canary that we know from the comics. Arrow is showing her origins story and honestly it's a pretty damn good one.

Really enjoyed the Roy & Laurel scenes both when they weren't in their suits and when they were in them. They made a great team.

Speaking of Roy for a sec, the news caster called him the Red Arrow! Which I thought was a cool little nod to the character.

And again speaking of Roy- the fact that he confronted Merlyn on his own was either genius or suicidal. Either way, loved it!

The Felicity and Laurel scenes were real touching.

Do I think the Quentin scene has played out too long- maybe but I like how it adds to Laurel. She's trying to do what's right and if that means constantly lying to him then so be it. That's a fault all heroes have (well most of them anyways)- having to lie to the people you love to keep them safe. So that's not really an issue for me.

It was sad that Felicity came up with an algorithm to use Sara's voice, god that was hard to hear! But it was very convincing and certainly an interesting twist.

Maseo/DJ so did not see that coming! Man it was great. Looking forward to what happens there.

So looking forward to next week!

Just when I thought S2 was my fave, S3 is easily topping that.
Emma♥Neal
Ron_Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:46 PM
New Fan

Great episode. Didn't know Laurel could be such a badass, I'm starting to actually like her. But can she finally tell Quentin the truth? I'm feeling bad for him.

And ohh, Maseo. What happened to you?
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:54 PM
Fan Forum Legend

My first thing to say is Katie Cassidy. thank goodness to her, she's finally able to spread her wings and show the great Actress she is. She was great on SPN and even acted well on 7th Heaven when I saw her... and then on Arrow, she's had nothing to work with and people just slammed Katie.

This season she's really shinning although I think the chemistry with Katie and Stephen just isn't there... probably as friendship but not anything more.

I think this season I'm loving Laurel more than Felicity. How different can seasons change everything. lol
I love how she's taken her anger out, and I love how things aren't coming by easily. It will take her awhile to have the the fighting styles as Sara once had or that Diggle, Roy or Oliver has because Sara and Oliver were forced to learn how to fight on the Island and it just took years for them to learn and become as great as they are. With Diggle, he had the military training and he was a bodyguard. Roy was a street fighter and then trained with Oliver.

So although Laurel knew how to fight a bit, it's going to take her awhile and I'm going to love seeing her journey.

It's about time for Quentin to find out about Sara.

Loved Thea in this episode.

The ending. Too bad.
eternalfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:12 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustichearts (View Post)
yeah I think it was early for her to be black canary too but she did awesome even though had some hiccups

did not see the maseo and dj thing either

glad team arrow is working again together without Ollie,yeah I would have like to see oliver not come back yet,its a bit soon but im glad hes alive

using saras voice I just want Quentin to find out already its dragging a bit

glad thea stood up and decided to stay

enjoy the flashbacks
Yeah,it's become annoying. The problem with Laurel is that she has a sense of morality and isn't used to seeing the ugliest sides of people. Sara was a killer and she was so dead that she wound up needing her life in the LoA more than Oliver. Laurel is the exact opposite and thinks with her heart.

That is so depressing about the little boy.

Why the hell are they showing him back in action next week? I can't suspend my disbelief by that much. I mean,she just brought him back from the dead. Even Batman takes a sick day, Oliver. If you're going to copy him, at least let Diggle wipe down the Salmon Ladder and drink Vodka.

I loved this episode,even the Ray/Felicity parts. I'm probably the only one who can ship those two.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:26 PM
Master Fan

I am feeling the opposite of everyone in regards to Laurel. I never liked her much. Now that she's going to be the 'Black Canary', I just really have issues. I know she's growing and learning but I just could care less about her character/heartache or anything else.

Not sure if it's the writing or how things came about, but she annoys me. I ff'd most of it because of her tonight.

On the other hand, I LOVED Tatsu! She IS BADASS! She doesn't need to show it or anything else, her quiet demeanor and then BAM she strikes!

I still can't believe Thea is that stupid. Really? You're going to trust a man who tried to LEVEL a city? Or at least a suburb...C'MON! When did you stop having brains?

It's ridiculous. Sad thing is that I can definitely tell that there are stunt doubles everytime she fights and that everything is choreographed. Perhaps that might be editing but you can tell.

Obviously I'm being super picky, but I want smart characters, not dumb ones.

I'm not sure where they are leading but I still love the show. It's just kind of getting a little too melodramatic sometimes.

As well, I TOTALLY saw that DJ being a hired hand. Called it!
Damon/Elena Jeremy/Anna TEAM ANNA TEAM DAMON
jayta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:48 PM
Master Fan

I wasn't able to watch the episode yet, I hope I will do tomorrow, my Internet is not working as well for watching a tv show or a video, sounds like a interesting episode though!
Old 01-29-2015, 09:00 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayta (View Post)
I am feeling the opposite of everyone in regards to Laurel. I never liked her much. Now that she's going to be the 'Black Canary', I just really have issues. I know she's growing and learning but I just could care less about her character/heartache or anything else.

Not sure if it's the writing or how things came about, but she annoys me. I ff'd most of it because of her tonight.

On the other hand, I LOVED Tatsu! She IS BADASS! She doesn't need to show it or anything else, her quiet demeanor and then BAM she strikes!

I still can't believe Thea is that stupid. Really? You're going to trust a man who tried to LEVEL a city? Or at least a suburb...C'MON! When did you stop having brains?

It's ridiculous. Sad thing is that I can definitely tell that there are stunt doubles everytime she fights and that everything is choreographed. Perhaps that might be editing but you can tell.

Obviously I'm being super picky, but I want smart characters, not dumb ones.

I'm not sure where they are leading but I still love the show. It's just kind of getting a little too melodramatic sometimes.

As well, I TOTALLY saw that DJ being a hired hand. Called it!
It's the writing. On the other boards,everyone's complaining about this. There's so much Laurel hate and it's all because of how she's being written. Again...she and Iris are dubbed typical CW characters and stereotypical comic book love interests. I like Laurel,but I get why people don't like her,too.

I think Thea is tired. She's been through too much, she wanted to stop being Thea and she needs something normal so badly. In the back of her head she probably knows, but aside from Oliver, Malcolm is all she has.

I agree about the melodrama,but to me,there's more than enough awesome to make up for it.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:32 PM
Master Fan

I am in the minority but I never really had a problem with Laurel in any of the seasons thus far. Granted she wasn't my favorite character. But I like the baby steps that have taken in her transitioning into Black Canary. I get people have issues with her character and how she's been written. But ultimately this is the role that she was destined to play. As much I liked Sara it's time to accept that's she's gone and not coming back. Hopefully people will in time. I know I have.

I liked the Felicity/Laurel scenes too. I liked that Felicity was supporting her.

As like the fact that Roy/Diggle were trying to advise her and pointing out what we the viewers know that Laurel will not walk into the role easily.

Tastu is a bad ass.

The only real problem I had was Kelly Hu. I don't find China White a convincing villain at all.
The Survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:35 AM
Master Fan

It isn't just the writing though. I think Laurel as a hero is just not working. I don't find her believable. It's like turning someone into something they were never meant to be.

Yes, comic book character Laurel is the Black Canary, but this Laurel was never that. I personally had no issue with Laurel when she was with Tommy. She didn't seem so arrogant or annoying. She didn't play the typical angst routine. She is never subtle and maybe that has some to do with the writing and how the producers cut the show together. But it remains in the hands of the person who portrays the character.

Personally I just think that they chose the wrong actress to portray the Black Canary. I think she's beautiful and hot and they thought she was a shoe in. I have nothing against Katie Cassidy. I just don't think what she brings is what is needed.

Anyhow, fine, bring on her 'training'. But don't expect me to care. How they cast and wrote her really has put them in a hard position for me to do a turn about.

What I've seen so far, it seems the writers are propping up Laurel and pushing Black Canary so we have to like her. Have everyone on the show rooting for her so the fans can root for her. The death of her sister can only be mentioned so many times to the point it becomes ineffectual.

As for Thea, I think all the lies would make her WARY of the man WHO KILLED SO MANY PEOPLE! I am sorry, but nothing about this storyline will make me buy the ease at which the turnabout happened.

As for Kelly Hu, well she is badass. However I think anyone in the wigs they have put these characters in really detract from the believability of their evil or badassness....It happened to Canary. It was hilarious to see her in a wig which is the same color as her hair.
Damon/Elena Jeremy/Anna TEAM ANNA TEAM DAMON
jayta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:23 PM
Master Fan

OMG the scenes between Quentin and Laurel (as Sara) were so hurting I can't imagine how he will react when he realizes about the truth

The best moments were the ones of Laurel, of course, and the ones of Roy too. I liked that Felicity changed her mind, but for this episode I prefered her interactions with Laurel and Ray than her own thoughts. I love how she calls Laurel "Canary" and I should not forget to mention the funny scenes between Emily and Brandon about the helicopter

I never took the idea of these new "villains" so big, but it's taking an interesting argument ultimately - same for the Hong Kong flashbacks and Tatsu's character. I don't want to mention Maseo with this because I don't know what he really wants to do, does he really care about Oliver? Did he lie to Oliver just to know about Malcolm? I don't know if he knows the truth (Thea killed Sara) so I'm a bit confused with his storyline .

Very well done Thea! She's taking a big role in the "Malthea" relationship. I mean, she's not only obeying him, he's not only her mentor, she's his mentor too. I still don't get this relationship but I like the trend it's taking . I'm glad that Roy is looking for her and Malcolm, because I'm not sure if Malcolm will realize about the DJ.

And talking about the DJ... W-wh-what? WTH man? Never suspected of that guy .

Best line of the episode:
-"Prochnost!" -What does that mean? -I don't have any idea (not any but something similar) of Roy and Diggle