Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2014, 07:11 PM
Master Fan

[3x08] The Brave and The Bold: Episode Discussion

'The Brave and The Bold' & 'Flash vs. Arrow'
1x08 (The Flash) & 3x08 (Arrow) - episode discussion

The Flash - 1x08 (Part I of the crossover event)

PART ONE OF THE EPIC CROSSOVER EVENT WITH THE FLASH AND ARROW — Barry (Grant Gustin) is thrilled when Oliver (guest star Stephen Amell), Felicity (guest star Emily Bett Rickards) and Diggle (guest star David Ramsey) come to Central City to investigate a case involving a deadly boomerang. Excited about teaming up with his friend, Barry asks Oliver if he’d like to help him stop Ray Bivolo (guest star Patrick Sabongui), the meta-human Barry is currently tracking. Bivolo causes people to lose control of their emotions and has been using that skill to rob banks. Unfortunately, the superhero partnership doesn’t go as smoothly as Barry expected. When Oliver tells Barry he still has a lot to learn, Barry sets out to prove him wrong by attempting to stop Bivolo alone. However, when Bivolo infects Barry and sets him on a rage rampage, everyone is in danger, and the only one who can stop him is the Arrow. Meanwhile, Iris (Candice Patton) is furious when Eddie (Rick Cosnett) tries to get a task force to stop The Flash, Joe and Dr. Wells (Tom Cavanagh) agree the Arrow is a bad influence on Barry, and Caitlin and Cisco deal with a new team in S.T.A.R. Labs.
Glen Winter directed the episode with story by Greg Berlanti & Andrew Kreisberg and teleplay by Ben Sokolowski & Brooke Eikmeier (#107). Original airdate 12/2/2014.

Arrow - 3x08 (Part two of the crossover event)

PART TWO OF THE ARROW AND FLASH CROSSOVER EVENT — Oliver (Stephen Amell), Arsenal (Colton Haynes) and Diggle (David Ramsey) track down the location of a boomerang-wielding killer named Digger Harkness (guest star) but are surprised when they come face to face with an A.R.G.U.S. team. Diggle asks Lyla (guest star) why A.R.G.U.S. is involved but she defers until Harkness attacks the building, killing several agents and targeting Lyla. The Arrow joins the fight and gets help from an old friend – The Flash (guest star Grant Gustin). Harkness manages to get away and Oliver teams up with Barry again to find him before he can get to Lyla. When Harkness plants five bombs in the city that are timed to explode at the same time, both teams must come together to save the city.
Jesse Warn directed the episode with story by Greg Berlanti & Andrew Kreisberg, and teleplay by Marc Guggenheim & Grainne Godfree Schwartz (#308). Original airdate 12/3/2014.

Promo

‘The Flash’ 1×08 Promo: ‘Flash vs. Arrow’ | The CW Source
‘The Flash’ 1×08 Extended Promo: ‘Flash vs. Arrow’ | The CW Source
New 30-second promo for ‘Flash vs. Arrow’ | The CW Source
‘Arrow’ 3×08 Promo: ‘The Brave and the Bold’ | The CW Source

Promotional photos

The Flash [1x08] - ‘The Flash’ 1×08 Promotional Photos: ‘Flash vs. Arrow’ | The CW Source

Arrow [3x08] - ‘Arrow’ 3×08 Promotional Photos: ‘The Brave and the Bold’ | The CW Source

Sneak Peeks

The Flash [1x08]

‘The Flash’ 1×08 Sneak Peek: ‘Flash vs. Arrow’ | The CW Source
‘The Flash’ 1×08 Sneak Peek #2: ‘Flash vs. Arrow’ | The CW Source

Arrow [3x08]

‘Arrow’ 3×08 Sneak Peek: ‘The Brave and the Bold’ | The CW Source
‘Arrow’ 3×08 Sneak Peek #2: ‘The Brave and the Bold’ | The CW Source

Other Episode Discussion Threads

http://www.fanforum.com/f443/flash-v...4%5D-63137702/
http://www.fanforum.com/f443/arrow-b...4%5D-63137818/
http://www.fanforum.com/f445/emily-f...t%5D-63137712/
http://www.fanforum.com/f449/flash-1...sion-63137713/

Basic Rules:
  • Be Respectful of other posters. Not everyone is going to agree or have the same views. Discussions are encouraged, but let’s keep things civil.
  • No Character/Actor Bashing. We love your opinions on storylines, but keep in mind that these are real people who are just trying to do the best with what they are given. We might not always like how things turn out, but just remember things can always get better.
  • Everything is a spoiler until it has aired.
  • Any talk of Illegal Downloading should not be brought up here. Live Streams & such can be discussed through PM's.
  • Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Last edited by Charlone; 12-04-2014 at 05:30 PM
Charlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Happy this thread was created, part 1 of this crossover is actually a must watch for strickly Arrow fans.... who probably don't watch Flash.

BUT

Wow, so much happened.

Also a lady from Oliver's past appeared, you know that woman that Moira paid off to leave town and pretend like she didn't have the baby... yeah that one. I didn't see that coming at all.

I love how dedicated Felicity is to trying to find out Sara's killer.
eternalfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

looking forward to it

well said Tia

{}
fire for a heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:40 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal◘fate (View Post)
Happy this thread was created, part 1 of this crossover is actually a must watch for strickly Arrow fans.... who probably don't watch Flash.

BUT

Wow, so much happened.

Also a lady from Oliver's past appeared, you know that woman that Moira paid off to leave town and pretend like she didn't have the baby... yeah that one. I didn't see that coming at all.

I love how dedicated Felicity is to trying to find out Sara's killer.

Hi, Tia! I'm finally caught up on all of the Arrow and The Flash episodes! And I see you still have a Paire icon?

People who watch Arrow really should give The Flash a try. Of course, if they start adding more shows that might get a bit tricky. Supergirl is already on her way to CBS, which owns the CW, so more crossovers are possible.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:29 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Enjoyable episode!
Star Labs and Arrow Cave crew does make a great team do they?
I loved how everybody just assumed that Diggle and Lyla were married. They act like a married couple most of the time anyway so it makes sense. I guess if it doesn't work the first time, try it again. We'll see and hope for a successful marriage this time.

I was so worried for Lyla during this episode. Like I truly believed that she may be a goner and that'd let Diggle leave A-Team for a while, because earlier Diggle was keep talking about Lyla, so I was concerned especially when Felicity said she wasn't breathing. Thank goodness Flash was around or it ended up sadder and worst.

I liked Diggle as a whole in this episode, his scenes with Cisco, Oliver and of course Lyla were all great.

I loved all the Barry/Oliver scenes, as always they always have to be at odds for something but during this episode I agree with both sides. Of course this episode ends with them trying to find out who will defeat who, seeing as it was kind of a draw during part. 1 of the crossover? lol I think Flash would win, but Oliver can stay in there.

I loved the flashbacks, it really fit with the story of the episode, how Oliver tortures people now and how much he was against it in the past. It just shows you how those pre-five years before Season 1 really changed him.

When Oliver referred to Sara as the woman he loved. It was about damn time, only because to me it seemed like they did love each other although we never really saw [on screen at least] them saying it to one another.
For me I understand it, Sara is the one woman in Oliver's life who knew him during about every single stage of his life, so to no longer have that woman in his life has got to hurt so much, and it probably explains more why he'll try to keep Felicity away. For now anyway.

Cisco and Caitlin were good in the episode, we got to see more Cisco, which actually fit. His enthusiasm was needed. I feel team Central City brought more light into Starling City tonight.

So I enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Hi, Tia! I'm finally caught up on all of the Arrow and The Flash episodes! And I see you still have a Paire icon?

People who watch Arrow really should give The Flash a try. Of course, if they start adding more shows that might get a bit tricky. Supergirl is already on her way to CBS, which owns the CW, so more crossovers are possible.

What's up Alex!! yeah, I still love Paire.
I'm happy you are caught up. I think people should watch both shows, both are great for different reasons.

Luckily for the CW, Arrow and Flash are probably the biggest hits for CW right now. lol
Old 12-03-2014, 09:23 PM
Absolute Fan

Before I post my review, it's kind of sad that it took a 2-night crossover with Flash to get Arrow back on track quality-wise.

Now that I've said my piece on that front, let's get to the reviewing.

There are a number of different ways to handle a cross over event: you can tell a single story that starts in one place and ends up somewhere else (thus facilitating the crossover); you can have the crossover happen 'accidentally' (where characters from the properties involved in the crossover just so happen to cross paths with each other); and or you can do what the producers did here, which was to tell two largely standalone stories with the characters from the two crossover properties having some part to play in both. This approach was also taken by NBC for its series Crossing Jordan and Las Vegas, and worked as well here as it did there.

The way the episode opened made much more sense than the way the Flash episode from last night did, and also helped set up the crossover aspects of the story much more organically, which I appreciated.

One of the great things about Arrow and Flash, casting-wise, is that all of the characters on both shows feel like they could be 'transplanted' from one show to the other and fit right in, something that the episode clearly demonstrated on multiple occasions, from Cisco 'geeking out' over Oliver's arrow technology to Barry and Oliver clashing philosophically to Felicity and Caitlin working in sync as the 'tech girl's to solve problems (just to name a few examples), and I cannot wait to see the two casts interact again.

It's hard for me to figure out what A.R.G.U.S. and the people who work for it are ultimately after, but do like it when the group gets brought into the story because it helps enrich the show's universe. You could easily have done the story of tonight's episode without involving A.R.G.U.S., but it might not have worked as well, and we wouldn't have gotten the stuff that we got with Diggle and Lyla, which would've been a shame.

Speaking of, I wonder if Diggle had been planning on proposing or if it was something he decided to do I'm the spot' as a result of Lyla almost dying.

Some people have been asking why no-one's clothes caught on fire as a result of Barry 'speed-running' them to the locations of Harkness' bombs, and I have an answer to that question: the 'friction damage' caused by Barry's speed isn't consistent (this was, IIRC, established on a previous episode of The Flash).

It had been previously established on The Flash that the name Barry is a shortened portmanteau of Bartholomew, so it was funny to have Quentin call Barry "Bart". I do wish we'd seen more of both Quentin and Laurel in the episode, but it is what it is.

The reference to Slade and A.R.G.U.S. having given him a cell-mate in Harkness is definitely more than just a reference, especially if you pay attention to spoilers, and is most likely going to mean that Harkness will be back at some point, which is good for anybody hoping to see him show up in Central City and join forces with Leonard Snart once he and his buddies return later this season.

Tonight's episode, as noted, marked a welcome return to form for Arrow, and I'm giving it a 10.

P.S.: Even if you're only watching Arrow, you owe it to yourself to check out the Flash half of the crossover, "Flash vs. Arrow".
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
It had been previously established on The Flash that the name Barry is a shortened portmanteau of Bartholomew, so it was funny to have Quentin call Barry "Bart". I do wish we'd seen more of both Quentin and Laurel in the episode, but it is what it is.
I especially loved it because of Impulse/Flash III.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:35 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter (View Post)
which was to tell two largely standalone stories with the characters from the two crossover properties having some part to play in both. This approach was also taken by NBC for its series Crossing Jordan and Las Vegas, and worked as well here as it did there.

Speaking of, I wonder if Diggle had been planning on proposing or if it was something he decided to do I'm the spot' as a result of Lyla almost dying.

Some people have been asking why no-one's clothes caught on fire as a result of Barry 'speed-running' them to the locations of Harkness' bombs, and I have an answer to that question: the 'friction damage' caused by Barry's speed isn't consistent (this was, IIRC, established on a previous episode of The Flash).

P.S.: Even if you're only watching Arrow, you owe it to yourself to check out the Flash half of the crossover, "Flash vs. Arrow".

Las Vegas. I miss that show and I remember those crossovers. It worked so well!

I think her almost dying was a wake up call to stop wasting time and they kind of are like married anyway. lol Everybody kept thinking they were married. I think it was like three mentions of Diggle/Lyla marriage related.

It is inconsistent, and it was sad in Flash episode 1.03, Barry mentioned that it only happens sometimes. I guess people forgot that.
Barry shoe got on fire when he sped himself but as we clearly see he doesn't always catch on fire after speeds.

Definitely agree! I think everyone should watch both parts of the crossover. Especially for a certain scene that'd be big for probably a future Arrow storyline!
Old 12-03-2014, 10:00 PM
Absolute Fan

^ Las Vegas was a great show, and the crossovers with Crossing Jordan only made it better. It's a shame that NBC didn't give the creators of LV a chance to give us some true closure for the show and its characters,but that's a subject for another time and place.

I didn't mention this in my review, but it was hilarious for Barry to assume that Lyla already knew his secret. I do wonder how he knew who she was and that she and Diggle were in a relationship, though.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:05 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
^ Las Vegas was a great show, and the crossovers with Crossing Jordan only made it better. It's a shame that NBC didn't give the creators of LV a chance to give us some true closure for the show and its characters,but that's a subject for another time and place.

I didn't mention this in my review, but it was hilarious for Barry to assume that Lyla already knew his secret. I do wonder how he knew who she was and that she and Diggle were in a relationship, though.
Crap-I missed that. Brain fart on the writer's part.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:

I was in pain for a bit when I learned Las Vegas was cancelled. I still don't understand why it had to be cancelled to be quite honest.
It would've been nice to get closure. I hate when shows I love get cancelled. It's the absolute worst.

I thought it was hilarious.
Barry is just very different, it seems like he doesn't care who knows his secret. I guess I like how different he is from guarded heroes. Although he shouldn't just showing his powers as Barry Allen all the time. I loved that Diggle said he was great at keeping secrets.

Probably it happened off screen? Or Barry was spying before he sped in?
Old 12-03-2014, 11:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

another awesome episode, so now I figured they are at different timelines

Quote:
Star Labs and Arrow Cave crew does make a great team do they?
They surely do,i love them and the being out the best in eachother and I think star labs does have a mpre humorous side to them
. Cisco and Caitlin were awesome

I was so worried for lyla,i was not wanting to see another death.

hehe the married couple thing was so funny

I enjoyed the barry/Oliver scenes where they just talk to each other and not wanting to see his better. I like them both but yeah flash prob win . I liked how he thought about diffusing the bomb using all the team members

{}
fire for a heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:18 AM
Loyal Fan

I love the start where the team was calling out their positions. I hope Felicity was there as well. At least in communication.

Cisco and Caitlin's eagerness was so cute. The mention of Arrow mobile made me think of Batman and his bat mobile. LOL!

The "Arrow cave" thing Oliver's reaction and the look on Felicity's face had me grinning silly. And then Felicity's sigh while looking at that ladder thing had me sighing as well.

Oh, there's the fern again! My inner Olicity fangirl can't help smiling even when ARGUS was already under attack.

I didn't realize how much I missed Thea until I saw her walking the street.

Diggle and Lyla's reaction to Barry is priceless

Oliver saying that he's not emotionally healthy, well, that had me nodding for a full minute I think.

That scene when the Boomerang guy attacked the Arrow cave kept me at the edge of my seat. But even when I felt so afraid for the three women especially Lyla, I was also glad that they got some action and that they were not completely helpless.

Oliver was smiling more in this episode. I feel like Barry's words were getting through his stubborn head.

Overall, I loved this episode. I'm glad that even though we got the Team Flash over, they didn't forget to include a bit of Captain Lance, Laurel, and Thea. There was also a mention of Slade. And of course, I'm always happy to see Diggle and Lyla together, and find out more about ARGUS. I'm just realizing now how much was put into the episode. Even the flashbacks were properly incorporated and gave us a bit of Oliver's journey.

I hope they would do a crossover again next season
Liyah08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:32 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh man loved the episode last night!

I really love seeing how opposite Barry & Oliver are. And they really balance each other out.

Barry doing the salmon ladder was insane and freakin' hilarious and cool!

The whole "Bart" thing was awesome.

And the bit with the "Arrow Cave"- it's so funny how Oliver doesn't like that considering how in the Quiver comic arc that's what he calls it.

The team up with Cisco and Kaitlin was freakin' awesome. Cisco jumping straight to the point on wanting to see the Arrow Cave- loved it!

Loved Cisco and Barry's reaction to the Arsenal costume.

I really liked that solemn scene with Roy, Felicity and Cisco at Verdant and Thea noticing something was wrong.

Overall I was very satisfied with the two part crossover and I will always be glad to see more of them.
Emma♥Neal
Ron_Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:38 PM
Master Fan

I finally had time for watching the episode, but I may talk about both episodes, for the entire event of the crossover. Anyway, my review of Flash vs. Arrow is something that I'd prefer to talk on The Flash board.

I liked that in this episode we saw more characters from both shows interacting. Especially for Roy, because he's kind of a new member yet on the A-Team, but he had more protagonism what I find something enyojable. Cisco/Roy/Felicity/Caitlin is something that's worth to watch.

Another thing I aprecciated so much was the funny things, or the jokes, because Arrow doesn't have the same atmosphere than The Flash (Starling City is pretty different than Central City) and it's hard to find a moment in which a character makes a joke and you laugh or smile. Cisco opened these kind of moments, but the best one of him was the one when he sees Thea .

It's incredible how much I forgot that Oliver and Barry's friendship wasn't the same at the first time (back in season 2). But now they enjoy working with each other and learn something new about how one feels about being a hero. Both of them express their feelings and that leave us with different opinions of both sides.

This boomerang guy was a big trouble, and I don't like that he's going to be with Slade Wilson because then they'd have more possibilities to find how to get away of that island. Seems like the writers want to do something about it...

And I agree with Tia, I was very surprised of Oliver talking about Sara and pointing that he loved her. I really needed to hear that because they had so much story and it's difficult to deny what it was.

It was nice how emotional Diggle became with Lyla, it was way funny to hear him and Roy saying "she is not his/my wife" but it was also nice how Diggle is caring about his family, and it's not only includying baby Sara, but Lyla, and he needed to stop making that difference that she's not his wife, because she's also part of his life and his family. She kind of turned on a light on his life and also his daughter .

Well, I'd say much more about these episodes because I loved the crossover event, but I'm going to finish with this saying that I can't wait for another crossover!

EDIT: By the way, I want to let you all know that you're totally allowed to start a discussion about both episodes of the crossover event. I also put the links to the threads of The Flash for both episodes .

Found this nice fanvid

Last edited by Charlone; 12-04-2014 at 06:26 PM
Charlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread