Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2014, 03:31 PM
Master Fan

[3x03] Corto Maltese: Episode Discussion

Corto Maltese
3x03 - episode discussion

OLIVER SEARCHES FOR THEA IN CORTO MALTESE WHILE DIGGLE TRACKS A.R.G.U.S. AGENT MARK SHAW — Oliver (Stephen Amell) decides it’s time for Thea (Willa Holland) to come back to Starling City, so he packs for Corto Maltese, where Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) has traced Thea’s whereabouts. Lyla (guest star Audrey Marie Anderson) asks Diggle (David Ramsey) to go with Oliver because one of her field operatives, Mark Shaw (guest star David Cubitt), has gone dark in Corto Maltese and she’d like him to look into it. Feeling responsible for Thea’s departure, Roy (Colton Haynes) joins Oliver and Diggle on their journey. Shaw double-crosses Diggle, putting numerous A.R.G.U.S. agents, including Lyla, at risk. Meanwhile, Laurel (Katie Cassidy) meets Ted Grant (J.R. Ramirez), and Felicity adjusts to her new job.

Promo

‘Arrow’ 3×03 Extended Promo: ‘Corto Maltese’ | The CW Source

Promotional photos

‘Arrow’ 3×03 Promotional Photos: ‘Corto Maltese’ | The CW Source

Sneak Peeks

‘Arrow’ 3×03 Sneak Peek: ‘Corto Maltese’ | The CW Source

‘Arrow’ 3×03 Sneak Peek: ‘Corto Maltese’ | The CW Source

Basic Rules:
  • Be Respectful of other posters. Not everyone is going to agree or have the same views. Discussions are encouraged, but let’s keep things civil.
  • No Character/Actor Bashing. We love your opinions on storylines, but keep in mind that these are real people who are just trying to do the best with what they are given. We might not always like how things turn out, but just remember things can always get better.
  • Everything is a spoiler until it has aired.
  • Any talk of Illegal Downloading should not be brought up here. Live Streams & such can be discussed through PM's.
  • Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

PS. I wanted to add that I didn't make the OP, I just found one from past episodes, modified it a bit and used it.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:26 PM
Moderator Support Team

Laurel pissed me off just going after that abusive Bf with a bat. what did she think she was going to happen? she had no fighting/self defense experience at all. at least she realized that by the end of the episode and is going to learn to fight.

so what is ray up to? he is clearly hiding something.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:32 PM
Master Fan

I'm okay with what Laurel did. Yes, it was a very bad idea, but at least she's starting with it. She already took her first step to become in a fighter and stronger woman .

I knew there was something bad around Ray. But what we've seen it's not enough to realize about what he is really hidding. This season it's going to take its time to lead in the truth about Ray.

And Nyssa I didn't expect it! I'm very anxious to see what's next! Best end for this episode. It had to be her.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Gotta be honest, I really didn't care much about this episode.
Probably I expected too much, or I really really miss Sara. I don't think I accepted she's gone yet. I loved that Nyssa appearance at the end.

I'll re-watch this episode later, I think I'll love it the 2nd time around.

This season, I'm sadly not really caring about the pairings much. In a way that's good, I'm just liking the characters build.

I love that the void of Sara is obviously going to be missed, she dies and Thea and Laurel will know how to fight. I love how kickass all the women of Arrow might be this season, how strong they will be. It's always great to see some strong female characters. I felt Moira was the strongest one: personality wise and just the way she handled things. Sara was by the tragedies she went through, and her fighting ability.

Malcolm teaching Thea how to fight wasn't entertaining for me, as I'm sure it wasn't meant to be.:shrug; I didn't really care for there scenes and was happy that Thea returned with her brother.

The scenes between Oliver and Thea were amazing today, I really didn't enjoy their scenes much in Season 2 because Oliver came off like such a horrible brother. I loved that Sara's death was such a wake up call for him. He realizes how important Thea is to him, he doesn't want to have to ever handle losing her.

Laurel, I love how when she wears the jacket Sara wore it makes her feel like her sister but that was pretty stupid and reckless to go after an abuser with no type of training or anything. I understood the motive, not the execution. I feel bad for her though, she want to be something similar to what Sara was. She wants to keep the memory of her sister alive somehow, and by doing what she did to an extent... makes the pain not be so difficult. Too much.
I can't wait to see how the relationship between Laurel and Ted will go! I liked their scenes but don't know how I feel about the relationship until we get to see it get developed.

I understand Oliver not wanting to teach Laurel how to fight, but he just pushed her to Ted... so can't wait to see that.

Quentin not knowing about Sara's death, I still don't like it.

We still get to see Felicity again! see how she's handling her many jobs, I would think it'll take a toll on her eventually. I loved when Laurel called her, Felicity wondered if they were friends or not.

Diggle with Sara Diggle. beautiful scenes! of course Diggle was my guy tonight! as always.

Ray, I don't think he's evil. So I won't concern with that yet.
It's too bad Oliver is still keeping the fact that he's the Arrow from Thea. Man when she finds out, it's going to be interesting. She already hates lies, and she still doesn't know the main one although I get where Diggle was coming from with his advice. ... I really don't know how she'd react though.
eternalfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

Loved it!!!!!!!! I have not been this excited for Arrow for a long time. They are doing everything right with Laurel's character this season, and I am so excited to see that continue I hated seeing her get beat down, but it was important that she realise that she is not anywhere near Sara's level.. not even close. I also loved that Oliver turned her down.. it wasn't because he doesn't want her strong, it's because he doesn't want to lose her. Oliver has lost so much already. Can't wait for more Ted/Laurel... so much fun to be had
Old 10-22-2014, 07:50 PM
Master Fan

I actually liked Laurel this episode, yeah she was wreckless but she has to start somewhere. Good stuff.

I like Ted. It's million dollar baby time, bring it Grant!

Felicity was amazingly fantastic! She got her own office, she has Oliver's old office....awkward. Lol. But she deserves it, she is a talented, brilliant young woman. I loved watching her multitask! Only Felicity can pull of a line like she did with Laurel. Gotta address the elephant in the room. EBR class, cuteness and spunk when she said it.

Ray you sneaky little Atom. What are you hiding? He's got big plans can't wait to see em

Thea her flashbacks, her training with Malcolm, well handled. Awesome! I am enjoying her character more and more. I'm glad she decided to come back and it wasn't like pulling teeth but an adult decision. Look forward to Malcolm soon following.

Daddy Diggle/Agent Diggle - I loved it. His love for Sara whilst he also is a strong soldier. So glad Oliver was there to back him up. I 100% believe he proves you can be both Dad and hero.

BTW: The Queen is on her throne
Philanthropist.

You can take away my house, all my tricks and toys, but one thing you can't take away – I am IRON MAN.

Last edited by SuitUp; 10-22-2014 at 08:10 PM
SuitUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:58 PM
Master Fan

eternal◘fate, I have nothing more to say than I totally agree with all you said!

One great thing was that Oliver could bring back Thea to Starling City, I thought she'd stay in Corto Maltese for a long time.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:12 PM
Absolute Fan

My review:
Greg Berlanti and Co. are IN THE ZONE, producing not one but TWO of the greatest shows on television right now, which is not an easy thing to do.

The last 5 episodes of both Arrow and The Flash have been phenomenally plotted, written, and acted, and "Corto Maltese" makes the streak 6 for 6.

A simple trip to find Thea and convince her to come back home becomes anything but simple when Diggle - accepting an unofficial assignment from Lyla - inadvertently walks himself, Oliver, and Roy into a crisis, which ends up leading to some crazy international Team Arrow action, complete with Oliver improvising to make some pretty sweet homemade archery tools.

We also get some action from both Laurel and Felicity back in Star(ling) City, as Laurel takes the first major step - ill-advised though it may have been - towards realizing her ultimate destiny as the Black Canary, finding some help along the way in the form of one Ted Grant, whose first interaction with her is anything but friendly, and Felicity finds herself being pulled in several different directions all at once by her new boss Roy Palmer, Team Arrow, and Laurel, leading to some hilarious and really well-acted scenes from Emily Bett Rickards and Brandon Routh.

Speaking of Palmer, his mission for Felicity - decrypting and restoring a Queen Consolidated Applied Sciences hard drive - led to an interesting scene as he browsed through the blueprints for a bunch of high-tech weapons. I have no clue where this particular storyline is headed, but I'm really intrigued by it.

I'm still working my way through the first two seasons of the series and consequently didn't quite understand some parts of Thea's storyline in this episode, but I nevertheless found myself really enjoying her interactions with Malcolm, who, despite being all kinds of bad, comes across as incredibly likeable and always has.

Getting back to Felicity, it hasn't been a secret that she'll be headed to Central City in this coming Tuesday's episode of The Flash, but I was expecting the setup for that trip to be a bit more flashy (no pun intended), and am kind of disappointed that it was handled so low-key.... although it was neat to see her browsing the same "The Streak Lives" blog we saw Iris tracking at the end of last night's Flash episode.

Arrow has gotten really good at episode-ending cliffhangers, but I think tonight's is my favorite. Having Nyssa so Ghul walk into the Arrow-Cave with bow drawn and demand to know where Sara is gave me the same kind of feeling I got when a bad-****-looking Rupert Giles returned to confront an ultra-powered Willow Rosenberg at the end of the Buffy Season 6 episode "Two to Go", and I cannot wait for next week to see exactly what happens when she finds out about Sara's death. I also can't wait to see how Oliver reacts when she tells him about Malcolm being alive.

Like I said at the top of this review, Berlanti and Co. are on a serious roll right now creatively, and if the previews for both this Tuesday's Flash episode and next week's Arrow episode are any indication, things do not appear to be slowing down anytime soon.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:20 AM
Fan Forum Star

this was a great episode!
I loved how strong Thea has become and that she's more balanced now. I'm also glad that she chose to go with Oliver and return to Starling City.

Felicity's scenes were the funniest as usual. what a multitasking pro she is! when Laurel called her and she was wondering whether they're friends now or what well I hope so. I certainly love it that they're interacting with each other.
and at first I didn't notice that she was checking out the news about The Flash, that's awesome

about Laurel, I really liked what she said at the AA meeting, that she knows that drinking won't help her overcome Sara's death and it couldn't do anything good anyways. but going against that guy with a baseball bat was a horrible idea. that part was really painful to watch..I wanted to kill that sick son of a b*tch for doing that to her my poor thing was badly hurt but I'm glad she realized that she needs serious training so she can become stronger. I was mad at Oliver for refusing to help her train, although it's kinda understandable..what they do is very dangerous. and that Ted guy should do it, plus it may be a chance for Laurel to make Oliver jealous but that's just the shipper in me talking

finally, I knew Ray was up to something. he was way too good to be true...

JoJoF92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:31 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Where do I even start?! This episode was seriously mind blowing.

Thea- I've always enjoyed her but man she is really stepping it up. She is not the same Thea that we used to know. Those flashbacks we got of her were awesome. I'm really hoping for more.

And when that man accidentally spilled the hot coffee on her and she didn't even flinch- she's come a long way in 6 months.

I look forward to the direction her character heads- whether its in her father's footsteps as the villain or in the direction of her brother as the hero.

~*~*~

Laurel- She was always a background character for me but this season we've really seen her step up. It will always suck that Sara died, I loved her as the Canary but so many heroes have a tragic start that put them on the path to becoming that destined hero so I'm kind of glad this is Laurel's.

I so look forward to seeing her in the gym. She might not have gotten the training she wanted from Oliver (with good reason!) but it's great she found another outlet. One who isn't a family member the way Merlin is to Thea or a friend (ie Ollie).

Her getting beat up was so painful to watch but at the same time necessary. Oliver told her right, Sara had years of training. Before everything Sara was at the bottom just like Laurel is now.

It's so tragic that she can't confide in her father yet but hopefully some day.

~*~*~

Team Arrow

Oliver- Damn I love when he uses his skills that he got from the island and elsewhere to make weapons.

LOL Roy was so impressed with that and Oliver's skills to use a gun.

It was awesome how even Thea noticed the bromance between the two.

The Oliver & Thea scenes were amazing. I especially died when Oliver told Thea the truth about Robert, about him making it to the raft and his sacrifice. Such a powerful scene!

Diggle- Fkn loved how far he went to protect his family. He remains the heart of the team.

Felicity- Every week she always says or does something that just makes you smile. Her ramblings about being Palmer's assistant- her asking Laurel if they were friends or favor friends.

And Felicity is making her way to Central City next week! I know it was in the Flash preview but it was cool to get a mention of that in this ep!

~*~*~

Oh and bonus-

Nessa! When that low life told the Arrow that there was a woman she was the first person I thought of and then bam she shows up. Fk yeah!!!

~*~*~

Way to go this week Arrow, way to go!
Emma♥Neal
Ron_Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:08 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Beckett (View Post)
Nyssa! When that low life told the Arrow that there was a woman she was the first person I thought of and then bam she shows up. Fk yeah!!!
I'm pretty sure that low-life was talking about Sara being up on that rooftop, not Nyssa. Still, it was awesome to see her. As I mentioned in my review, her showing up at the Arrow-cave with bow drawn was an equivalent moment - for me, anyway - to Giles kicking down the door of the Magic Box at the end of "Two to Go" and challenging Willow by saying "I'd like to test that theory".
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:37 AM
Obsessed Fan

Love Nyssa's return it's heartbreaking though

Thea/Malcolm handled brilliantly I love the twisted dynamic

Felicity is Master of the Universe, couldn't be more proud. She not only looks beautiful but she effortless still judges Team Arrow, a favor friend lol, and work.

Ray is up to something. I knew it.

Oliver's ALREADY losing his shizz over Felicity working for Palmer...

Seriously Ray takes the company he brushed it off he didn't get angry... Felicity starts working at PI and hello angry sexy face....

He's going to be jealous!!

Man Olicity is sizzling and best of all they still get shizz done!

But I think they'll push that for later episodes. I'm loving this whole identity, all of them finding themselves in their chosen paths.

Han er god barn, men han er så lat.

Eskild? Jeg sitter her.
Mimi
Stelena&Bamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm glad to hear it was a good episode.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Where is she? Where's Sara?

My feelings
la villanelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:19 PM
Part-Time Fan

i just watched two seasons of arrow in a week, and now watched the last one from yesterday, i like the episode, really like the relationship between Oliver and Roy, i dont like that Merland guy, if he died, why did he came back to being alive, dont like that at all, and overall dont get all the Felicity love, not a hater, she had some funny moments, but i dont like her character, and especially dont like Oliver with her, dont feel any chemistry between them, i like him most with Helena, and also maybe with Laurel, if i had to choose between Felicity and Laurel!
apjrlmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top