Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2017, 05:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

Slott and Bendis are idiots. And Peter Parker done properly IS angst-ridden. The new comics don't count for sith and nor does this stupid film.

Last edited by sum1; 06-28-2017 at 05:49 PM
Old 06-28-2017, 06:12 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Slott and Bendis are idiots. And Peter Parker done properly IS angst-ridden. The new comics don't count for sith and nor does this stupid film.
Well so far it seems the critics likes this stupid film. I'm glad it's getting some positive feedback.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Critics are full of dumb ideas. I'll be glad when it gets some negative feedback, like it deserves.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:34 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Critics are full of dumb ideas. I'll be glad when it gets some negative feedback, like it deserves.
It may get some negative feedback but I hope there's more positive than negative reviews. It's time for Spider-Man/Peter Parker to reclaim his spot as Marvel's number 1 movie character.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:58 AM
Fan Forum Star

There's not much point in that happening with a version of Spider Man that's not authentic.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:45 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
There's not much point in that happening with a version of Spider Man that's not authentic.
I disagree he's still the same old Peter Parker/Spider-Man.
Quote:
Spider-Man is no stranger to the screen — three different actors have played Peter Parker in film adaptations in the 21st century alone. That said, he’s also one of the most beloved superheroes to come out of Marvel, which is — according to critics — part of what makes “Spider-Man: Homecoming” so successful.

With an early Rotten Tomatoes score of 92%, critics in general are pleased with “Homecoming’s” ability to marry superhero spectacle with John Hughes-esque feelings. Unlike many other popular super heroes, this time around Spider-Man is not a “man” at all — he’s a teenager
‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ Reviews: Tom Holland Faces the Critics | Variety

Last edited by dragonfire; 06-29-2017 at 03:23 PM
Old 06-29-2017, 03:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire (View Post)
I disagree he's still the same old Peter Parker/Spider-Man.
Comments like that make me wonder how familiar you really are with the comic book version. Homecoming's so-called Peter Parker is wimpy, childlike to the point of coming off younger than twelve years old, and distinctly British in manner. That's not Peter Parker. Tom Holland is not remotely "the same old Peter Parker/Spider-Man." Of the three versions of Spider-Man we've seen the screen this century, only Andrew Garfield's version has come off anything like the real thing. Tobey Maguire was totally inappropriate for the role, though probably not as awful as Tom Holland.

This isn't Spider Man at all. This is Spider-Boy. Little crap-in-his-pampers Spider Boy.

Last edited by sum1; 06-29-2017 at 04:03 PM
Old 06-29-2017, 04:33 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Comments like that make me wonder how familiar you really are with the comic book version.
Well as a kid I hardly read the comic books, I just mostly watched the animated series and movies. Plus can't forget the action figures.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire (View Post)
Well as a kid I hardly read the comic books, I just mostly watched the animated series and movies. Plus can't forget the action figures.
The comic books are the original and true version of the character, not movies or animated shows. Animated shows are a poor reflection and movies often give an inauthentic version. Tobey Maguire's Spider Man was a totally misleading portrayal of the character. Garfield's was much better, but still slanted toward the wimpy teen version, which is not a reflection of the Spider Man who's been in the comics for most of the history of the character.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:09 PM
Obsessed Fan

Yeah, I have no problem admitting I'm not into the comics much at all - I like certain short series or runs, like Ed Brubaker's Captain America (I have the Winter Soldier graphic novel and have read some of his other stuff), but that's it.

I've never felt like I get my money's worth with the comics - I like the artwork, but it never feels like there's enough story, and the single issues cost too much and it adds up to be too much for something that isn't fully satisfying me.

I've always preferred regular novels.

So when it comes to this stuff, I lean towards movies and cartoons and always have.

I like what I like, whether it's the "true version" or not.

~Kat
Old 06-29-2017, 05:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheshireKitten (View Post)
Yeah, I have no problem admitting I'm not into the comics much at all - I like certain short series or runs, like Ed Brubaker's Captain America (I have the Winter Soldier graphic novel and have read some of his other stuff), but that's it.

I've never felt like I get my money's worth with the comics - I like the artwork, but it never feels like there's enough story, and the single issues cost too much and it adds up to be too much for something that isn't fully satisfying me.

I've always preferred regular novels.

So when it comes to this stuff, I lean towards movies and cartoons and always have.
Except that with superheroes, movies and cartoons are just an imitation of the comics. The comics are the genuine article.

One doesn't have to read single comic issues to read the comics. There is an endless selection of reprint books of of collected comics. And this isn't matter of regular novels versus comics. One can easily read both. My reading material ranges from Spider Man to War and Peace.

I can understand not being able to relate to the comics. After I gave up on superhero comics in the late '90s I spent most of two decades in which I read few comics and found the medium generally didn't work for me, but eventually I came back to the old stuff and got into the groove again. It works if you get in the right mindset for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheshireKitten (View Post)
I like what I like, whether it's the "true version" or not.
You're entitled to like what you want, but when we're debating whether a movie reflects Spider Man authentically, it's the comics that are relevent.

Last edited by sum1; 06-29-2017 at 05:24 PM
Old 06-30-2017, 03:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

That may be true, but the comics aren't 100% infallible. I mean look at the current Captain America run. I'm not sure who thought that was the greatest idea in the world.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:52 AM
Fan Forum Star

The more recent comics are mostly a load of bull. It's the old comics people should be paying attention to.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:08 AM
Fan Forum Star

Premiere in Hollywood. The first vid doesn't start until about 16 minuted in.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:51 AM
Elite Fan

It seems this is why Disney let Marvel make the deal with Sony.
Quote:
In 2011, Disney was able to recover the merchandising rights to Spider-Man, while Sony still retained the character’s movie rights. Ever since then, the Mouse House has profited on all Spidey merchandise – from toys to games – and that has now come into play with their movie agreement with Sony. In regards to Homecoming, Sony gets to keep all the money from the movie, but Disney profits from merchandise sales, aside from the producer’s fee Sony had to pay Marvel Studios for making the film. According to WSJ, the Mouse House expects windfall gains from merchandise sales this summer – and the rest of the year.
Quote:
On the surface, it may seem like Disney is being shafted in this deal, when in reality, they could stand to make more from Homecoming – and Spidey’s inclusion in other MCU films – than Sony does from the movie’s box office sales. After all, merchandising is what turned George Lucas’ record-breaking Star Wars saga into a multimedia, billion-dollar franchise. Although Disney has certainly been profiting from the box office success of their live-action remakes, Star Wars movies, and the Marvel Cinematic Universe, much of their profit comes from merchandise sales and licensing out their properties.
Why Disney Let Marvel Make Spider-Man for Sony
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top