Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2019, 06:01 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
I have no idea. All I know is that you can't tell Hank and Janet's story without them being in the Avengers, so if Marvel wants to promote Hank and Janet in the future in these movies, their current storyline will have to be totally changed. Hank's Ultron's creator, Janet is the first female Avenger and the second longest serving leader of The Avengers, and they're just too important to the Avengers storyline to keep the MCU the way it is. I hope it happens after the merger and after the Infinity War storyline is over.
Yeah I think it will happen once these chapters are done .. but we have no idea what marvel will do for the next phase .. are you happy or upset that they have xmen ?
Old 03-08-2019, 03:22 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Falls (View Post)
Yeah I think it will happen once these chapters are done .. but we have no idea what marvel will do for the next phase .. are you happy or upset that they have xmen ?
I don't know yet. I have yet to see how the ultra-PC Marvel Studios will desecrate the X-Men.

I've just about had enough of the MCU. This entire thing started off really great in 2008 with Iron Man, but it's descended into a cesspool of insufferable condescension, and politically correct messaging and social programming.

Let's not forget that these movies are being made by Hollywood elitists who know nothing about comic books and have nothing but contempt for comic books and comic book fans. These movies are no longer celebrations of comic book art and fandom, they instead have become Hollywood's judgment and condemnation of both the material and the fans themselves. Hollywood should just stay away from comic books altogether.

Are they mother fing kidding me?

Spoiler:

This movie has desecrated Mar-Vell's memory, along with one of the greatest comic book novels ever written.

Old 03-08-2019, 04:35 PM
Moderator Support Team

Yep I know for th is part in MCU they don't do it by the comics anymore , they have changed and adapted a lot of things now . Like all books series turned into movies it's just based on it ,it's not 100% the same
Old 03-08-2019, 04:43 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
:makes Homecoming Spider Man watch Trump's speeches in an endless loop:

his entire 'speeches' consists of three words "we're/i'm/it's so amazing!" on an endless loop. ugh.

it's so amazing.

Clexa Forever! | may we meet again | Dave
Jen's Herald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Yep I know for th is part in MCU they don't do it by the comics anymore , they have changed and adapted a lot of things now . Like all books series turned into movies it's just based on it ,it's not 100% the same
Jen, that's total nonsense. I've seen plenty of book-based movies and they've mostly stuck to the source material. I don't ask for it to be 100% the same, but I don't expect it to be 99% different either! Come on, don't give me that. This is just Hollywood doing things for stupid Hollywood reasons that have nothing to do with adaptation and everything to do with Hollywood studio politics. If you can give me one reason for all these changes that has anything to do with character development or narrative, story structure or plot direction, or anything adhering to the basic rules of storytelling and adaptation that go all the way back to Aristotle's Poetics, I'd like to hear it. But that's not what this is about and you know it.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:11 AM
Moderator Support Team

we the reason is hollywood , i dont think we know much more than that . it is bad that they do it with certain characters
Old 04-05-2019, 07:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Missing out on getting to see Captain Marvel for the past year starting with IW, have had a friend that has invited me out for Marvel movies and paid for my ticket but had an insomnia episode and missed the movie but thankfully his brother was able to get the ticket refunded

So leading up to Endgame will be making sure have the best sleeps of my life and am ready|refreshed
crash landing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:41 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Rant: Adam Warlock, the man who beat Thanos in the comics, doesn't get to be in the Thanos storyline in the MCU. A totally unnecessary change.

Rant: Mar-Vell gets changed into a woman and his entire legacy as the original Captain Marvel who dies of cancer and passes the mantle on to his ex-love, Carol Danvers, is forgotten. An even worse change.

Rant: Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne are still not in the Avengers in the MCU and have been reduced to aged side characters, while Scott and Hope, two characters who don't even belong in this story, get to be the MCU Ant-Man and Wasp without having earned the right to be there. Hank and Janet have been in the Avengers comics for 50 years and have been in nearly every single Avengers storyline ever written. Even if you're not a fan of the comics and you only know the films, I don't see how you can find anything that justifies this. Can we please retcon the MCU at some point and put Hank and Janet in the Avengers and get rid of Scott and Hope once and for all? Every year that the MCU continues this, Hank and Janet keep getting shut out of the Avengers not only in the movies, but in animation and the comics as well.

Rant: Peter Parker is still a punk high school teenager in the MCU due to Hollywood's disturbing fetish with always making him jailbait. Peter has been an adult in the comics since the 1970s. Can we please get an adult version of Peter in the MCU, and one that isn't animated and that takes a back seat to Miles Morales?

Rant: From what I've heard about Endgame, this version of the MCU Avengers storyline will probably end soon, and good riddance. They did some stuff that will hopefully mean recasting of certain roles will happen.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:55 PM
Moderator Support Team

Ok firstly remember this Is a MCU board so the last thing wasn't needed we love and support the movies it ending is happening but we enjoy every bit of it.

And the rant and with these movies there is an easy reason, the comics is a huge storyline of people and characters that is why people read them they go on and on . The movies are short 2 to 3 hour movies they don't have time to add in every character so they adapt . Us as fans of marvel and many other movies, stories understand the change these movies are based on it but not word for word it.

And hank and Janet you know the reason for it , legally marvel couldn't use them so they didn't . It's happened that chapters done . I undersrand fans lf comics dislike it but it is what it is movie people don't care either way

I am surprised that the animation did the same thing with them I don't see why they did it that way at all . I don't think they had a legal issue either they could of told the real story
Old 04-26-2019, 07:56 PM
Moderator Support Team

Ok firstly remember this Is a MCU board so the last thing wasn't needed we love and support the movies it ending is happening but we enjoy every bit of it.

And the rant and with these movies there is an easy reason, the comics is a huge storyline of people and characters that is why people read them they go on and on . The movies are short 2 to 3 hour movies they don't have time to add in every character so they adapt . Us as fans of marvel and many other movies, stories understand the change these movies are based on it but not word for word it.

And hank and Janet you know the reason for it , legally marvel couldn't use them so they didn't . It's happened that chapters done . I undersrand fans lf comics dislike it but it is what it is movie people don't care either way

I am surprised that the animation did the same thing with them I don't see why they did it that way at all . I don't think they had a legal issue either they could of told the real story
Old 04-26-2019, 08:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Sorry, but this is the rant thread, so I will rant here.

First, there was no legal reason they couldn't use Hank and Janet. Joss Whedon himself admitted that he was asked to remove Hank and Janet from his Avengers script because of Edgar Wright, and EdgarWright only ended up quitting and Marvel Studios admitted that his script didn't fit in the MCU, so it should never have been used in the first place, end of story.

Second, your argument about time limit is valid, I agree, but not the rest of it. This summer we're going to see Dark Phoenix, Fox's second attempt at getting this story right after the failure of The Last Stand. This is practically an admission on their part that they screwed up the first time and now they're trying to get it right. So while it's true that you can't fit everything into one movie, it is not true that there is only one way to do it, or that Hollywood always gets it right the first time. If changes are made due to time restraints, that's one thing, but more often than not it's due to studio politics, legal issues(such as with Spider-Man), and self indulgent artistic license from filmmakers who don't understand the material. Or in the case of Hank and Janet, a gentlemen's agreement to accommodate one man who didn't even want his movie in the MCU.

In the case of Mar-Vell it was a last minute decision on the part of the director, whom I'm sure had never read a comic book in her life. Marvel had planned to cast a man as Mar-Vell from the start, before this nonsensical decision was made that was not only unnecessary, but ended up being a useless throwaway plot line.

And Adam Warlock? It's simple. Who is more important to the Guardians of the Galaxy storyline? Who created the team? Who is Gamora's love interest? Who defeated Thanos? Star Lord? No, Adam Warlock. Peter Quill isn't even alive in the comics anymore. He was killed off years ago.

So you see, the MCU up to this point has been a mess. Don't even get me started on Peter Parker always being a teenager in these movies. He hasn't been a teenager in the comics since the 70s, and the best Spider-Man stories are from the 1980s when he was a 20-something adult.

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 04-26-2019 at 09:26 PM
PhoenixRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:01 AM
Moderator Support Team

I guess they didnt have time to change or add in the characters for Hank and Janet IDK do they say why they never added them eariler on or once he left?

yeah i love X-men but yeah they had some hits and misses and a lot of confusion with their movies . I hope DP does justice to Jean and her powers

but Adam Warlock wasnt in the movies was he? GotG?

I feel the MCU for a comic point makes no sense but the world is done pretty well compared to other franchises

PS once we have spoiler free for endgame i will like to comment on some things i want to change
Old 04-27-2019, 09:57 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

I need to go to the cinema again when the crowd dies down. It was so damn annoying watching people stand up and down go to the toilet every damn minute. Can't they just sit down
Old 04-27-2019, 02:11 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedrum (View Post)
I need to go to the cinema again when the crowd dies down. It was so damn annoying watching people stand up and down go to the toilet every damn minute. Can't they just sit down
Well it depends what part of the movie they did go 3 hours is a long time. I opted not to eat or drink anything so I wouldn't go to the toilet
Old 05-31-2019, 12:18 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Well I'm glad you feel that Endgame needs things changed or corrected, Petra. I think that Kevin Feige and the people at Marvel have no respect for the comic book source material at all, especially with how they've treated Steve Rogers and Sharon Carter. I have no idea why Marvel Studios has so much reverence for Peggy Carter, a character who's been dead for decades and whom comic book fans could care less about, but omitting the Steve/Sharon storyline from the comics and going with this Steve/Peggy stuff is more of Kevin Feige being a petulant jerk who wants to remake Marvel in his own image rather than respect the legacy of Stan Lee, Steve Ditko, and Jack Kirby, without whom there would be no MCU and Feige wouldn't have a job.

Quote:
I guess they didnt have time to change or add in the characters for Hank and Janet IDK do they say why they never added them eariler on or once he left?
After Edgar Wright left, The Avengers had already come out and the MCU continuity had already been established. But the point is, Petra, Edgar Wright's Ant-Man script should never have been included in the MCU in the first place! If you know you're making a cinematic universe built around the Avengers, the only characters relevant to that story are the ones in the Avengers, and that includes Hank and Janet. If Edgar's script is not compatible with that storyline, was written as a stand alone film with no connection to the Marvel universe, and prevents you from using two of the main characters in the Avengers who are more important than almost anyone... you do not use that script!!! This is basic screenwriting 101. You don't tell Joss Whedon to rewrite the entire Avengers storyline and by extension the entire MCU just to accommodate Edgar! That's like rebuilding an entire house just to accommodate one piece of furniture that doesn't fit the house! If it doesn't fit, you get rid of it and find something that does fit! So now we'll never see Hank and Janet in the Avengers movies until whenever point in the future that the MCU gets a reboot or a retcon, which probably won't happen until after 2024 when X-Men and Fantastic Four are integrated into it. The point is that Kevin Feige should've known this from the beginning because only a complete idiot would do what he did.

Quote:
yeah i love X-men but yeah they had some hits and misses and a lot of confusion with their movies . I hope DP does justice to Jean and her powers
That's because they were making the typical mistakes that Hollywood makes with comic book adaptations, as well as the fact that Bryan Singer did not know anything about the comics and is generally a jerk.

Quote:
but Adam Warlock wasnt in the movies was he? GotG?
He was shown in the post-credits sequence of GotG 2, but he's still in his cocoon, and he missed out on the entire Thanos storyline. Not having Adam Warlock defeat Thanos is like not having Luke Skywalker defeat Darth Vader.

Quote:
I feel the MCU for a comic point makes no sense but the world is done pretty well compared to other franchises
It's still half assed, Petra. They went into it not even knowing what the hell they were gonna do or what would work and what wouldn't.

Spoiler:

Oh, and as for Captain Marvel:

Quote:
The story of how Carol Danvers became Captain Marvel is stamped into comic book history. But when comic book writer Kelly Sue DeConnick came into the picture, she had her own spin—one that tapped into Carol’s feminist identity and made her the source of her own power. Marvel may not have been big on her idea at the time, but it did end up inspiring the Brie Larson movie.

In the video interview above, DeConnick and Mary Livanos, director of production and development for Marvel Studios, chat with io9's Charles Pulliam-Moore about the Carol Danvers origin story that Marvel rejected for In Pursuit of Flight. It involved a time paradox, a rescue mission, and a rejection of the idea that Mar-Vell (who is a male character in the comics) needed to be the one who “created” Captain Marvel.

While it may not have ended up on the page, according to Livanos it did play an important part in shaping Carol’s origin story onscreen in Captain Marvel.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-captain-...ted-1835089790 Rumor: Sony Wants Venom in Spider-Man 3 | Collider

While Mary Livanos and Kelly Sue DeConnick might favor that alternate origin story that was "a rejection the idea that Mar-Vell needed to be the one who created Captain Marvel," I'd remind both of those women that Captain Marvel WAS created by MEN! Stan Lee and Gene Colan created Mar-Vell, and Roy Thomas and Gene Colan created Carol Danvers! So rejecting the idea that Mar-Vell(read, a man) needed to be the one to create Captain Marvel is a rejection of actual facts, that not only did male writers create Captain Marvel, but neither Mar-Vell nor Carol Danvers would've existed if not for them. Just like every other female superhero in DC and Marvel comics only exists because of the male writers who created them. Even Wonder Woman, the most popular female superhero ever created, and who is a feminist icon, was created by a man, William Marston. So all this feminist revisionism is total bull A real feminist wouldn't do this, because if women feel that the only way they can own their power and be treated as equals is to commit cultural erasure and steal ideas created by men and pass them off as their own, then they're not feminists. That's an admission of mediocrity, not strength. The woman who created Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games is more of a feminist than these women.