Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2018, 08:05 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly me to the moon (View Post)
Yeah since I have see it when it release, but I actually rent it.. You have it?
No I havent I remember the movie well that's why but I do need to rewatch it
Old 07-06-2018, 04:03 PM
Moderator Support Team

Ahh, hopefully that you rewatch it as you remember it..

are you sleepy? wanna sleep?
is that what you want?

Steph/credit: My Kind Of Crazy
Old 07-08-2018, 01:23 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly me to the moon (View Post)
Ahh, hopefully that you rewatch it as you remember it..
Yes I will rewatch it one day not sure yet
Old 07-08-2018, 11:38 AM
Moderator Support Team

That's fine..

are you sleepy? wanna sleep?
is that what you want?

Steph/credit: My Kind Of Crazy
Old 07-09-2018, 06:29 AM
Fan Forum Star

Been reading some Black Panther comics, trying to like the character more. Some of them are quite well done, but he quite simply lacks personality. Plus from 1998 on he's been made into a real Mary Sue, which might be excusable if he had the personality to justify it, but he doesn't. Contrast with Storm, who has so much personality. Being married to him wasn't a good move for her. I've read stories in which she was sidelined and disrespected by the writers to give him the spotlight. Storm is no man's background woman. And when they broke up, the writers even contrived to have him defeat her powerful weather powers using some stupid tech he'd deliberatelty set up to prepare for fighting his wife. What sort of husband does that? Contrast the comic book Black Panther also with the comic book Luke Cage, who doesn't have the big hype or the Mary Sue status, but is a real admirable stand-up guy whose personality has come through very clearly since the '70s. The Falcon wasn't given tons of personality in the comics I've read, but Marvel cast Anthony Mackie in the role and he's really made something of the character. Contrast with Chadwick Boseman, who just doesn't shine as the Black Panther. The Black Panther just generally seems overrated, in both comics and films. I think it comes down to his being the first black superhero -his status means people assume he's the best, but it also means he was designed before they got good at developing black superheroes. Characters such as Storm, Luke Cage and Monica Rambeau (who was Captain Marvel long before Carol Danvers was) stand out as great characters and were developed later than the Black Panther.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:32 AM
Moderator Support Team

wait they got married storm and him?
Old 07-09-2018, 06:37 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, back 2006, and they split up in the big Avengers vs X-Men event in 2012.

Last edited by sum1; 07-09-2018 at 06:52 AM
Old 07-10-2018, 05:32 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Yeah, back 2006, and they split up in the big Avengers vs X-Men event in 2012.
wow thanks for telling me i had no idea
Old 07-10-2018, 05:43 PM
Fan Forum Star

Christopher Priest, longterm Marvel writer, highlights how Luke Cage's speech patterns in the comics were long based on unrealistic stereotypes and Blaxploitation movies and he had to update them when writing Power Man and Iron Fist. Luke Cage in the comics was indeed founded on stereotypes, being inspired by Blaxploitation movies, while the Black Panther was created to be at odds with stereoptypes. But the Black Panther was idealized to the point of having very little personality, while Luke Cage from early on came across as a living, breathing human being with a personality, a relatable guy you could get to know from his comics. After reading numerous Black Panther comics, I still don't feel I know the Black Panther. I FEEL for Luke Cage, while I can't find it in me to give a crap about the Black Panther.

Christopher Priest says the Black Panther, unlike Luke Cage in the comics in his opinion, is every bit as articulate and thoughtful and even-tempered as Captain America. But those traits are part of what make Captain America in the comics a prize bore. He's too perfect and so is the Black Panther. Luke Cage, despite his stereotyping, is a living, breathing person with faults and weaknesses and imperfections, not some annoying ideal character like Captain America.

Priest also said that the Black Panther wasn't defined by his race or created to be specifically black character the way characters like Luke Cage were. But I disagree. The Black Panther was intended to be at odds with the stereotypes of black people, but he was very much created to be a black character at the time of the civil rights movement. He's as much defined by his race as Luke Cage, just in a different way. Because of the rarity of black superheroes back then ('60s, '70s) it was pretty much impossible to create a black superhero without defining them by their race. They were always going to be a BLACK superhero, not just a superhero. Storm may be the only exception.

The best Black Panther comics I've come across so far are the Jack Kirby ones from the late '70s. Kirby breathes more life into the character than most writers, though it's a bit lost in the glorious general weirdness of those comics.

Last edited by sum1; 07-10-2018 at 05:48 PM
Old 07-11-2018, 12:05 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Falls (View Post)
wait they got married storm and him?
I only know that the comics fans are quite split about this. Some people would want their relationship to be explored and others wouldn't want it bc they said T'Challa was manipulative. A girl I follow tweeted about their relationship a few months ago.

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:11 AM
Fan Forum Star

The Storm I knew in the 20th century would never have subordinated herself to such a man. She's not herself when she's with that guy.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:22 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
The Storm I knew in the 20th century would never have subordinated herself to such a man. She's not herself when she's with that guy.
oh no so it wasnt a good relationship
Old 07-11-2018, 02:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

Not in my opinion. It didn't let her shine to her fullest. She was under his shadow. The Black Panther since 1998 is all about him being the big man and that didn't allow for his wife to shine to her fullest as an independent strong character. Not from what I've seen anyway. I don't want her overshadowed by anybody.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:49 AM
Fan Forum Star

I hope they'll make a Storm solo movie first before they put her in Black Panther. But even if they put her in BP, doesn't mean they'll stick to what happened in the comics. She could be an equal warrior without being a love interest or overshadowed by T'Challa.

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

Let's hope. I hate to see Storm subordinated to any other character. I remember her glory days in the '80s and '90s.