Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2018, 02:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

We have very different opinions on what makes a good movie.

Last edited by sum1; 02-21-2018 at 04:30 PM
Old 02-21-2018, 02:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well, at least I judged the movie after I watched it.

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

I haven't passed final judgement on the movie yet, just noted some problems I've heard of. And it's a Disney Marvel movie and I know what they're like. You can tell a lot from trailers anyway, the basic feel of a film. Plus I know I'm not keen on Chadwick Boseman or the Black Panther and I'm pissed off at the lack of African authenticity.

Last edited by sum1; 02-21-2018 at 04:31 PM
Old 02-21-2018, 02:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

I doubt you'll change your mind considering you're already formed negative opinions on it. There have been plenty of articles on the African cultures/tribes they paid tribute to and portrayed in a respectful way. The costume department did an amazing job. Just because it wasn't shot in Africa, doesn't mean it's not authentic, esp. that Wakanda is a futuristic vision of Africa.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

It's not just that it wasn't shot in Africa. They used precious few African actors in significant roles. There are tons of actors in Africa and Hollywood just ignores them. As always, the West sticks it to Africa. And not shooting in Africa means not giving business to any African countries, not employing an African crew, not giving the film an African feel. It's no more authentically African than a film would be authentically Irish if it were about Irish people and set in Ireland while being made by Irish American actors and filmed in England. Which is to say not authentic at all.

And forming negative opinions on a film doesn't mean I won't give it a fair chance when I see it. I formed drastically negative opinions on Chris Hemsworth's acting ability after Star Trek, only to change my mind throughly once I saw Thor.

Last edited by sum1; 02-22-2018 at 06:57 AM
Old 02-21-2018, 06:22 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by quin0611 (View Post)
I loved Captain America Winter Soldier too. I liked it better than Civil War.

I hopefully see Black Panther again to again tonight!

I could Black Panther being the new leader of the Avengers too.

These two were amazing in this movie
Old 02-22-2018, 12:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

Lupita on what it meant to her to see African culture celebrated in the movie.

{x}

Old 02-22-2018, 12:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

That's great, but it's a pity it couldn't be celebrated in the film with more authenticity. I mean, there's got to be some people in Africa wondering why they couldn't have played the Black Panther. And filiming outside Africa was unforgiveable. It's like that film Perrier's Bounty that was set in Ireland, in Dublin, but was filmed in London, with the British license plates showing. At least that film had an Irish lead and an Irish actor for the villain too. Most of the stars of Black Panther were born outside Africa. It's like Africa can't even star in its own story. It's a classic example of the way the world always cheats Africa.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

Lupita is Kenyan, she's talking about what the movie meant to her.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

Also born in Mexico. Like as if they didn't want to cast any actors from Africa unless they could find one who wasn't born there. It's like they made a serious effort to lessen the African-ness of the film. I think they should have cast mostly African actors and filmed in Africa.

But I'm done debating this film. I've had my say. I'll leave this thread to those who enjoy the film. But I find it hard to believe I'll ever view the film as authentic. But then, when was a Disney film ever authentic? Just look at what they did to Star Wars.

Last edited by sum1; 02-22-2018 at 01:09 PM
Old 02-22-2018, 01:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

She's been raised in Kenya, since the age of 1 until she went abroad for college.

Any way.

This is cool.

Quote:
the official language of Wakanda is IsiXhosa.

It's impossible not to smile when you hear one of the official languages of SA, be recognized on screen in a superhero movie. Black Panther includes numerous scenes where conversations take place in IsiXhosa and it brings a surprising pride with it.
https://www.iol.co.za/capeargus/news...eview-13323808

Have any of you listrned to the original score? I've been listening to it almost non stop at work, it's great.

Last edited by Karma Police; 02-22-2018 at 01:12 PM
Old 02-22-2018, 05:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

This post is sort of a follow-up to my posts on this thread. As I said, I'm done debating. I want to let everybody just enjoy the film on this thread. I just want to finish up my posting on this thread with a few words.

I understand why people are excited about this film. It is indeed a landmark for black cinema and it's great that it celebrates Africa to the degree it does, which is rarely done in major Hollywood films. Even though it's not the first black superhero film, it's the first one I know of to have a black director and a mostly black cast. It's just I think it could have been so much more than it is. I just wish it could have shown us Africa more, through its people and the land itself. When I watch that film I'm going to be looking at the jungle scenes and thinking "that's a jungle in Argentina." I'm glad to hear they use African language and reference African cultural elements, but casting means a lot to me, as does seeing an authentic location. Like the Luke Cage Netflix show was filmed in Harlem, which I thought was great.

Chadwick Boseman has a strong presence, but I was very put off by his portrayal of James Brown in Get On Up. I thought he got it all wrong. I would have loved to have seen an actor from Africa play the Black Panther. I'm the guy who always grouches when they cast an actor from outside Ireland as somebody from Ireland (looking at you, Daniel Day Lewis and Julia Roberts, your Irish ancestry doesn't qualify you to play somebody from Ireland). Authenticity in casting means a lot to me. In the Netflix show, they made Luke Cage from the southern USA and cast Mike Colter who is from the southern USA and he gave an inspired performance. I wish I could be as enthusiastic about the lead performance in the Black Panther.

And I admit I've never been a fan of the Black Panther the way I have been of some of Marvel's other black heroes -Storm, Luke Cage, Bishop, to name a few. Marvel heroes tend to be flawed, but the black Panther is the guy who's perfect, like a DC character. There's a reason I prefer Marvel to DC. A DC character can work onscreen if they get the right actor (such as Gal Gadot for Wonder Woman), but DC superhero comics don't interest me, because their characters seem too distantly perfect. I'm inclined to feel the black Panther is more like the DC characters than like my Marvel favorites such as Wolverine the psychopath, Hercules the god who's always messing up, or Storm who has great inner strength but is certainly no perfect DC-like hero.

Still, I'd have been very interested to see the Black Panther played by an actor from Africa and I was disappointed when Boseman was cast. Maybe when Marvel reboots its MCU some decade in the future they'll cast somebody from Africa as the Black Panther.

When I do see this film I'll do my best to make the most of it. Nowadays I tend to be a little disappointed by the style of Disney's MCU films. They're enjoyable, but I wish they were a little deeper and more serious. I just hope they keep the Netflix shows coming. That, more than anything else, is my corner of the MCU -Luke Cage, Jessica, Jones, The Punisher, Defenders, etc.

Last edited by sum1; 02-23-2018 at 04:39 AM
Old 02-22-2018, 05:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

I haven't yet! I looked at what other scores he did and it looks like he's done Ryan Coogler's other films so Ryan must have recommended him to Marvel.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:43 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

This movie had MANY great things about it, and the music was one of them. It added more unique spice to it.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:53 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yes I loved the music too. I was dancing in my seat.