Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Mid-Season TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2015, 05:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

I just don't care enough about the characters in the comics to get super angry about it anymore.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well that's just it. I grew up with these characters and I love them like family. And I'm sick of watching Hollywood trash them all the time. They screw up things that should be so simple to get right that it's just not worth my time anymore. Hollywood should stay away from comics unless they're gonna do them justice and get it right.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:11 AM
Fan Forum Star

I don't expect any MCU movies to be carbon copies of the comics and I think that anyone expecting that is in for a not so nice surprise. The way I see it, adaptations bring the comics to new audiences and a new medium, they're never going to be able to make their movies living comics and it surprises me that at this point there's still so many people angry and clinging onto comic details . That's why I'm always open-minded to adaptations. I think Marvel does a great job at staying somewhat true to their source material while reinvigorating their movies with new stuff and new twists . Also, we should be really careful while talking about real on . There are facts and there are opinions.

Personally, I'm really happy with the way Marvel brought Ant Man and The Wasp to the MCU, from casting Rudd and Lilly, to the way they were written and portrayed. I can't wait for Ant Man and The Wasp ,especially because of Hope, she has lots of potential and I would love to see her reunited with Janet and a potential team-up with Natasha .
Old 10-17-2015, 07:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

I wonder how they'll approach the next movie?
Old 10-17-2015, 09:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Pretty much agree with you Flave! Love that the sequel is being called Ant-Man and the Wasp! I really loved Hope Van Dyne, she has become one of my favorite MCU characters. Ant-Man was pretty much her origin as it was Scott's so it's excited to see what they do with the sequel!

Steve Rogers
Thor | Clark Kent | Daisy Johnson
{Mik&El} {Jack&Sarah} {Arin&Kestrel} {Declan&Juliet}
{Tara} | Icon | Profile Icon; Mandy
*OldHollywoodStarlet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:22 AM
Fan Forum Star

Pretty sure most of the original cast will be returning too.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:09 PM
Passionate Fan

I heard this comes out on Blu Ray/DVD on Dec. 8th. Can't wait to get it.
Butterfly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yep. Here's some of the special features.
  • Making Of An Ant-Sized Heist: A How-To Guide -- Set Your Watch And Count Down The Action In This Fast-Paced Behind-The-Scenes Look At How To Pull Off A Heist Movie, Including Scott Lang's Hilarious Heist "Family," Ant-Man Costume, Plus Amazing Stunts An Effects.
  • Let's Go To The Macroverse -- Shrink Down To Size In This Fascinating Look At Creating The World From Ant-Man's Perspective, From Macro Photography Through The Subatomic.
  • WHIH News Front -- A Hard-Hitting Collection Of Content, Including A Glimpse At The Future Of Pym Technologies With Darren Cross, Anchor Christine Everheart's Interview With Soon-To-Be-Released Prisoner Scott Lang On His Notorious VistaCorp Heist, And More.
  • Deleted & Extended Scenes
  • Audio Commentary By Peyton Reed And Paul Rudd
Old 10-22-2015, 12:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Speedster (View Post)
I don't expect any MCU movies to be carbon copies of the comics and I think that anyone expecting that is in for a not so nice surprise. The way I see it, adaptations bring the comics to new audiences and a new medium, they're never going to be able to make their movies living comics and it surprises me that at this point there's still so many people angry and clinging onto comic details . That's why I'm always open-minded to adaptations. I think Marvel does a great job at staying somewhat true to their source material while reinvigorating their movies with new stuff and new twists . Also, we should be really careful while talking about real on . There are facts and there are opinions.

Personally, I'm really happy with the way Marvel brought Ant Man and The Wasp to the MCU, from casting Rudd and Lilly, to the way they were written and portrayed. I can't wait for Ant Man and The Wasp ,especially because of Hope, she has lots of potential and I would love to see her reunited with Janet and a potential team-up with Natasha .

Okay, on this I must strongly disagree. And I'll be very careful while stating facts and not opinions. I don't mean to sound harsh, but many of you are responding to my comments without knowing the facts and details about the production of Ant-Man and the MCU and all of the mistakes that were made. First of all, your statement implies that Ant-Man deviated from the source material just for the sake of being different and introducing the material to new audiences while "reinvigorating their movies with new stuff." This is blatantly false. And no, that's not opinion, it is a fact. Here are the facts: Edgar Wright originally wrote his screenplay for Ant-Man back in 2004 when the character was still owned by Artisan Entertainment. Marvel Studios did not even exist as a separate studio back then, Iron Man had not even been made, and the MCU did not even exist. Edgar Wright had stated that his film was meant to be a stand-alone comedic heist film with no connection to the Avengers or any other Marvel characters, which is why he deviated from the source material so much. He made Hank Pym an old man, Janet Van Dyne was not around, and based his story on Scott Lang and the Marvel story "To Steal An Ant-Man Suit."

Now, here is the point I keep making over and over again. All of the other MCU films were written specifically for inclusion in the MCU and to link into the Avengers movies. Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, The Incredible Hulk were all true to their comic book origins. If you know the comics then you know that Tony Stark's origin was in Vietnam, but the Iron Man movie was able to move his origin to present-day Afghanistan while staying true to Tony Stark's origin and the storyline involving Obidiah Stane and the Iron Monger. Captain America's World War II origin story was mostly intact, as was Thor's Asgardian origins(minus the Dr. Donald Blake identity created for him by Odin). Bruce Banner's storyline in The Incredible Hulk was again, mostly true to the comics, with important characters such as Betty Ross, General "Thunderbolt" Ross, and Emil Blonsky/The Abomination making appearances. So the idea that the movies can't mirror their comic book origins is not accurate because all of the Phase One movies were mostly aligned with the Marvel comics continuity, with only MINOR changes made.

However, Ant-Man was never meant to be part of the MCU and never written with the Avengers in mind. Edgar Wright stated specifically that he wanted his movie to be a stand-alone film with no ties to the MCU. Wright's script got grandfathered into the MCU when Marvel bought the rights back from Artisan. Now, Joss Whedon was given the job of writing the Avengers script and directing the film, and Joss' original script had Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne as Ant-Man and The Wasp, as they are founding members of The Avengers. But Joss was told by Marvel to replace them with Hawkeye and Black Widow and was prevented from making the script he wanted to make for no reason other than to shoehorn Edgar Wright's Ant-Man film into a movie universe which it was never meant to be part of. To quote Josss Whedon, the only reason that Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne weren't in The Avengers was because, "Edgar had him(Hank) first." This is also the reason why Joss was forced to restructure the entire Ultorn storyline to compensate for Hank and Janet's absence and make Tony Stark Ultron's creator.

Now, here's the problem. You cannot cram a square peg into a round hole. You cannot allow the tail to wag the dog. And one thing you definitely do not do is rearrange the entire MCU and Avengers storyline just to accommodate one script instead of the other way around. The basic rules of screenwriting are that you focus on what is relevant to the story and eliminate what is not relevant, and as far as the Avengers are concerned, Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne are essential characters. Scott Lang isn't because he has nothing to do with the Avengers, and Hope Van Dyne doesn't even exist in the main Marvel continuity. She's based on a character named "Hope Pym" from the MC2 alternate future universe.

Edgar's script was never written with the Avengers in mind, yet Marvel attempted to shoehorn his script into an Avengers-based movie universe, and they failed. Edgar Wright quit the film over "creative differences" and was replaced by Peyton Reed, Evangeline Lily later admitted that Edgar's script "didn't fit into the MCU," and Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige admitted that the script "just wasn't working." Now, what part of this actually seems like competent management of the MCU? Wouldn't logic dictate that an Ant-Man script be written that was more compatible with the Avengers storyline instead of cramming in a script that was completely incompatible and eliminated two of the central Avengers characters?

The fact is that if the changes made to the MCU do not improve the material in any way, are totally unnecessary, and are done for no reason other than to accommodate a script that simply didn't work in the MCU and whose writer-director only ended up quitting the project, then how can anyone say that this was a good idea? Does replacing Hank and Janet with Scott and Hope really make the film any better? The fact is that Edgar's script was only going to work one way, as the stand-alone film that he intended. But as part of the MCU, it just doesn't work. You cannot have the Avengers without Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne because too much of the Avengers story involves them. It's not "clinging to comic details," because these are not mere details. Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne are HUGE parts of the Avengers storyline that you simply cannot replace. Hank created Ultron who became a mad robot with an Oedipus complex who vowed vengeance on his creator; making Tony Stark Ultron's creator robs the story of its originality and everything that makes it work and turns it into a clichéd, generic "Terminator" rip-off. And Tony's motivations for creating Ultron are illogical and contradict his established character, mostly because Joss Whedon was forced to give him a storyline that was never his to begin with. You can't simply shift a story from one character to another and expect it to work.

Also, I would argue that all of the other MCU movies were in fact able to translate their characters faithfully to the screen with little alteration. Tony Stark's Iron Man armor functions just as it does in the comics, Thor's powers are consistent with the comics, and Steve Rogers Super-Soldier serum and indestructible shield are all transferred from the comics mostly intact. Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne, however, were not, and again, it was done for no other reason than to accommodate Edgar Wright, whose script, again, was not meant for the MCU. The Ant-Man movie took away everything that defined the characters of Hank and Janet and turned them into mere footnotes in the MCU. Hank in the comics worked as a troubleshooter for the government while getting grants for his research, but the Ant-Man movie made him into a Tony Stark clone. Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne's abilities come from the Pym particles, not the suits they wear. Janet's wings are not part of a suit, they are bio-synthetic wings that grow out of her own body. And after constant exposure to the Pym particles they became permanently absorbed into Hank and Janet's bodies, allowing them to grow and shrink whenever they want. The Ant-Man movie made the Iron Man knockoffs, unable to do anything without their suits. And Hank is also Giant-Man in the comics, but the Ant-Man movie eliminated this identity entirely from his storyline.

Also, Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne were featured exclusively in the Avengers comics, and never had a separate title of their own. That means eliminating them from the Avengers effectively eliminates their entire story, giving them nothing left. They were central characters in the Ultron storyline; they were also both members of the West Coast Avengers. Hank and Janet were also featured in the Civil War storyline, yet they won't have anything to do with Civil War in the movies. In fact, most of the characters in Civil War won't be there. At a certain point, if you alter the movies from the source material too much, the story simply breaks down and doesn't work because the elements that made them work are gone, and upending the entire MCU and Avengers movies just for one British filmmaker who only ended up quitting to me is not a very responsible thing to do. Hank and Janet are as essential to the Avengers as Scott Summers and Jean Grey are to X-Men and Reed Richards and Susan Storm are to Fantastic Four. Omitting them from their own story leaves way too much of a hole in the story for it to work properly anymore.

And to be honest, "bringing the comics to new audiences and a new medium" is in my opinion an overused statement. If none of the other Avengers characters were altered or omitted, then why should Hank and Janet not get their due in the Avengers as well? Tony Stark, Bruce Banner, Clint Barton, Natasha Romanov, and Thor have all been around since the 1960's, and Steve Rogers has been around since the 1940's. No one thought that any of them needed to be replaced, and they were all able to be introduced to new audiences with their characterizations mostly intact. So again, why couldn't the same courtesy be given to Hank and Janet, who have been in the Avengers longer than anyone other than Iron Man and Captain America and deserved inclusion in the MCU?

See, adaptations are supposed to be an extension of the source material to the screen. If someone made a Justice League movie, I'm sure that people would be expecting to see Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, and the other core characters to be there, regardless of it being an "adaptation." To not have them there would simply not be the Justice League. Likewise, if a Marvel Cinematic Universe is being created, I want it to be done in a way that it works best, and that means using all the characters that made the stories work in the first place. Age of Ultron didn't work because Tony Stark's creation of Ultron made no sense, and was quickly tossed aside as an afterthought, making the entire thing a waste. Joss Whedon himself admitted that Age of Ultron "broke him" and that he had to make too many compromises to Kevin Feige. You see, these blockbusters are usually not made by writers, they're made by studio executives who micro-manage everything, and the problem is that they know nothing about storytelling. The fact is that Edgar Wright's Ant-Man died the moment that Iron Man came out, and Marvel should've simply told Edgar that his idea wouldn't work in the Avengers storyline and simply done what Joss Whedon intended to do all along, which is to have Hank and Janet in the Avengers.

And again, to say that the MCU has no effect on the comics is also inaccurate. As a result of this movie, both Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne have been phased out of the Marvel Comics universe as Giant-Man and The Wasp, and as a comic book fan I don't appreciate two of the comic book characters I've grown up with being tossed aside just because of what Hollywood does. The MCU was supposed to be Hank and Janet's moment to shine, not Scott and Hope(who again, doesn't exist).

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 10-22-2015 at 12:15 PM
PhoenixRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:55 AM
Fan Forum Star

Looks like Peyton Reed will be back to direct Ant-Man and The Wasp.

Quote:
'Ant-Man' Director Peyton Reed in Negotiations to Return for Sequel (Exclusive)

The film, which will star Paul Rudd, has been dated for a July 2018 release.

Marvel Studios is getting busy with its deal-making.

Less than two weeks after dating a slew of movies including an Ant-Man sequel for 2018, the studio is in negotiations with Peyton Reed to return as director of Ant-Man and the Wasp.

It marks one of the first deals surrounding Marvel’s recently dated movies. In addition to Ant-Man and the Wasp, those films include Black Panther — which moved up from July 6, 2018, to a Feb. 16, 2018 — and Captain Marvel, which was pushed out from Nov. 2, 2018, to March 8, 2019. The studio also scheduled three untitled movies for 2020.

It wasn’t immediately clear that a sequel to the tentpole about the world's smallest hero, played by Paul Rudd, would be part of Phase 3, but the movie and the character proved quite popular.

Domestically, the film took in $178 million to become one of the top 10 movies of the year, and it also did solid business overseas. And, in a big heap of icing on the cake, Ant-Man made a huge showing in China over the weekend, earning $43.2 million for an updated worldwide total of $455 million.

There are no writers yet for the sequel. Edgar Wright, Joe Cornish, Adam McKay and Rudd were the credited writers on the first go, and it is all but certain Wright and Cornish won't be back for the sequel.

The character will be seen next in 2015's Captain America: Civil War. Disney will release the sequel on July 6, 2018.

Reed is repped by WME and Sloane Offer.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:03 AM
Fan Forum Star

Why, they didn't desecrate Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne's legacy enough the first time around? Okay, I'm being a little harsh, I know. But if this film just means that Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne end up being tossed aside and forgotten as two of the founding Avengers - both in pop culture and in the comics - then I don't see how Marvel Studios can ever say they're doing justice to the material. It's not their prerogative to decide this stuff because their characters belong to the fans now. The idea that Hank and Janet will never get their due onscreen in the Avengers, the team they co-founded and have been a part of for 40 years in the comics, is a travesty.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:12 PM
Passionate Fan

That's not suprising. He did a great job with Antman, especially with all the chaos going on with Edgar Wright so I'm glad he's back.
Butterfly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:48 AM
Extreme Fan

"Ant-Man" Nears $500M Worldwide Box Office Total - Comic Book Resources

Edit:

Anyone's that's read the comics will always know who the real Ant-Man and Wasp is. They aren't being erased from history because MCU =/= MU, at least down to the specifics. It's an unfortunate thing they can't retro fit Hank and Jane in order to match the comics, that ship sailed almost a decade ago.

Last edited by rpmaluki; 10-27-2015 at 01:07 AM
rpmaluki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think with nothing to distract them this time around, they should have a clearer image of what they want the second movie to be about.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

how come this movie still hasn't leaked yet

AB∞RB: E&K+M&Ms+Evapup + all bunnies ♥ Emma | icon
Natasha Romanoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top