Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2017, 04:03 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
I'd like Evangeline Lily better if she also played Janet Van Dyne, who returns from the Quantum Realm having not aged a day, and Hope turns out to have been a clone of Janet all along, gets killed, and dissolves into a puddle of goo, like most clones.

Sorry, but the character that made The Wasp an iconic female Marvel superhero for 50 years is the one that deserves to be in the MCU, and that character is JANET Van Dyne. Some phony, made-up Hollywood character who didn't exist prior to the 2015 Ant-Man movie has no business taking Janet's place. Hopefully the MCU will retcon Hank and Janet so they can be in the Avengers eventually. I don't want misinformed Millennials to end up dumping Hank and Janet on the scrap pile of history to be forgotten, like they were never Avengers at all.
Evangeline Lilly wouldn't be appropriate casting for Janet.

You know, Janet is a made up character too, just been around a lot longer.

Worrying what impression young people get of the Marvel universe is pointless, because the comics are all wrong these days and new readers are bound to get the wrong idea no matter what. But there will always be reprints of the old comics being published and so there will always be a certain level of awareness of the older Marvel. Hope doesn't erase Janet.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:41 PM
Moderator Support Team

Ant-Man and the Wasp Adds Randall Park as Jimmy Woo | Collider
My Kind Of Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

Wow, they cast an Asian to play an Asian.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:53 AM
Master Fan

Wasp From Marvel's Ant-Man Sequel Debuts on D23 Expo Banner
LightYears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:48 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by miranstarr (View Post)
Wow, they cast an Asian to play an Asian.
I wish they'd done that in Doctor Strange.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:18 AM
MST Manager

Great poster!
Old 07-13-2017, 12:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
I wish they'd done that in Doctor Strange.
Me too.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:42 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightYears (View Post)
Thanks for that, LightYears. Wright and I have one thing in common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Evangeline Lilly wouldn't be appropriate casting for Janet.

You know, Janet is a made up character too, just been around a lot longer.

Worrying what impression young people get of the Marvel universe is pointless, because the comics are all wrong these days and new readers are bound to get the wrong idea no matter what. But there will always be reprints of the old comics being published and so there will always be a certain level of awareness of the older Marvel. Hope doesn't erase Janet.
At this point I'd accept Evangeline Lily as Janet if only to get Janet into the MCU.

Yes, Janet is a made up character, sum1, but she hasn't just been around "longer," she's been around since the beginning of the Marvel universe and is the only character who has earned the right to be The Wasp in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. When I say Hope Van Dyne doesn't exist, I mean that literally, sum1. Hope Van Dye does not exist in Marvel Comics. She's only very loosely based on the alternate universe character "Hope Pym" from the MC2 universe, and that character was a supervillain from the future named Red Queen, and was never The Wasp. The only character that should be in the MCU is the character that has made The Wasp an iconic character in Marvel Comics for a half century, and that character is Janet Van Dyne.

And Yes, Hope Van Dyne most definitely IS erasing Janet from pop culture. Because of this Edgar Wright-inspired MCU crap, Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne are being phased out of all Marvel media, including merchandising, where they no longer appear on any Avengers related products; animation, where they were once prominently featured in Earth's Mightiest Heroes but are non-existent in Avengers Assemble; and even in the comics where Hank Pym has been merged with Ultron and sidelined for god knows how long, and Janet has been pushed aside and replaced by this "Nadia Pym" character who appeared out of nowhere(and Nadia is Russian for Hope, which is no coincidence) and has become the new Wasp. So if that's not "erasing" Janet for the sake of convenience sue to one irrelevant MCU film made by Edgar Wright who didn't even stick around to make the movie then what is? It's just Marvel once again sticking it to long time comic book fans and Kevin Feige once again being king jerk of the universe.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:28 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
And Yes, Hope Van Dyne most definitely IS erasing Janet from pop culture. Because of this Edgar Wright-inspired MCU crap, Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne are being phased out of all Marvel media, including merchandising, where they no longer appear on any Avengers related products; animation, where they were once prominently featured in Earth's Mightiest Heroes but are non-existent in Avengers Assemble; and even in the comics where Hank Pym has been merged with Ultron and sidelined for god knows how long, and Janet has been pushed aside and replaced by this "Nadia Pym" character who appeared out of nowhere(and Nadia is Russian for Hope, which is no coincidence) and has become the new Wasp.
You can thank Disney for all that. And they're coming out with these animated shorts of Ant-Man on Disney XD. And I think they're using Scott Lang as Ant-Man. So again you can thank Disney for that.
dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:40 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire (View Post)
You can thank Disney for all that. And they're coming out with these animated shorts of Ant-Man on Disney XD. And I think they're using Scott Lang as Ant-Man. So again you can thank Disney for that.
No, I'll thank Kevin Feige for that, dragonfire. It was Marvel's decision to use Edgar Wright's Ant-Man script long before Disney bought Marvel Studios.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:26 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
No, I'll thank Kevin Feige for that, dragonfire. It was Marvel's decision to use Edgar Wright's Ant-Man script long before Disney bought Marvel Studios.
But Alex Disney is the ones who's promoting Scott Lang as Ant-Man in the movies/shows/comics etc etc. So again thank the cruel mouse for approving of the butchering of Hank&Janet. He sure does enjoy butchering iconic couples.
dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:09 AM
Fan Forum Star

As long as the old comics are reprinted (which they are, constantly), neither Janet nor Hank are being erased.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:35 AM
Fan Forum Legend

It would be nice to think that the old comics would be enough, sum1, but as long as the new comics are being printed with Janet being sidelined by the previously non-existent Nadia, and Hank being merged with Ultron and the previously dead Scott Lang taking over as Ant-Man, Marvel can play the long-term amnesia game with the audience and pretend like Hank and Janet don't exist in Avengers mythology. I've known guys like Kevin Feige all my life, and they are synonymous with bullt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire (View Post)
But Alex Disney is the ones who's promoting Scott Lang as Ant-Man in the movies/shows/comics etc etc. So again thank the cruel mouse for approving of the butchering of Hank&Janet. He sure does enjoy butchering iconic couples.
dragonfire, Edgar Wright is the one who wanted to use Scott Lang as Ant-Man when he first conceived his script back in 2004. Disney had nothing to do with that decision. Disney didn't even own Marvel at the time. Joss Whedon said the only reason that he wasn't able to use Hank and Janet in his Avengers movies was because, "Edgar had him first." That's where it all begins and ends. If Edgar hadn't written that damn script and if Kevin Feige hadn't capitulated to Wright, Joss would've done his own thing to work Hank and Janet into the Avengers and would've probably been called on to write an Ant-Man script for them instead.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:38 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
It would be nice to think that the old comics would be enough, sum1, but as long as the new comics are being printed with Janet being sidelined by the previously non-existent Nadia, and Hank being merged with Ultron and the previously dead Scott Lang taking over as Ant-Man, Marvel can play the long-term amnesia game with the audience and pretend like Hank and Janet don't exist in Avengers mythology. I've known guys like Kevin Feige all my life, and they are synonymous with bullt.
Well, it doesn't look that way to me, but then I read the reprints of old comics, not the new comics. And yes, Kevin Feige does seem to a bit off.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

I still can't believe Edgar worked on the movie for 8 years and basically came up with an unusable script.