Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-03-2014, 07:06 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by northboundtrain (View Post)
Thanks!

Re: Mary, I'm just not sold, and I'm disappointed that I allowed reviews to think there was a good chance I would be. I think there's a way to do Mary and not have it come off as trying too hard (Mary in the RDJ movies is a good example). But this approach lacked something for me.
I understand Mary in the RDJ movie is awesome, I doubt another interpretation could be better because I honestly think she's badass in the movie and has a good banter with Sherlock there. I'm still opened to the one in the show though

Quote:
Well, I definitely prefer the idea of a romantic Sherlock/John (even if, as I said, I've given up hope that the show will go there), but Sherlock/Molly has always made me kind of uncomfortable because -- to me -- their scenes have always seemed so awkward and one-sided.

The exception was in TRF. I saw Sherlock have a new understanding and appreciation for her there -- yes, it was partly born out of necessity (he needed her help in staging his death), but I thought it would serve as a catalyst for their relationship to grow and mature. Not necessarily into a romance, but into a true friendship where she's on more equal footing.

Which is why I was disappointed with their scene in the hallway where they discussed her engagement. She seemed just as lovesick as ever even though she's supposed to be engaged to another man. That makes me sad for her.
Yeah, I get it. I'm sure it was one-sided too (totally not delusional on that front) until the Christmas Party maybe which to me is where Sherlock realized she had real feelings for him.

And yes, TRF seemed like a big turn out too, so it's also a bit disappointing to me actually that their relationship didn't evolve that much I was pretty sure Molly would end up being more confident around him in the future but she still seems shy and unsure around him. That said, I also like Molly because of that, I wouldn't like her if she turned into Irene 2.0

I don't have a problem with her not moving on though, for the reasons I mentioned earlier, because it makes sense to me that she still loves him, I'm more worried with her ending up marrying the wrong guy for all the wrong reasons. I'd rather like her to stay single as long as she's around Sherlock to be honest. I don't really want to see her marrying someone else but if it happened, I would like her to get away from London/Baker Street and start a new life somewhere else where she wouldn't have to see Sherlock everyday wondering what it would have been like if they ever got together and if he has any feelings for her deep down, because that's really a hard situation to go through!

You never know about John/Sherlock, the show might go there. People have said there were romantic innuendos between them. So who knows? ^^

Quote:
You make great points, and it's certainly realistic for a woman to go so long loving someone who is not making himself available.

Even though I don't ship it, I wouldn't give up all hope on that front. Certainly, I think there's far more chance of Sherlock/Molly happening than Sherlock/John, no matter how much I love the latter.

I think I'm going to keep my expectations low, but I'll still watch it.

And I see we're both Revenge fans...so if Sherlock disappoints on Sunday at least we'll get to find out what happened after Emily's shooting.
Yeah, people do that sometimes, when they're really in love with someone

I'm not that optimistic unfortunately On one hand I have hope that Sherlock/Molly could happen but I think it'll end up being bad for both of them (I mean, mostly putting Molly's life in danger...) and on the other hand I feel like Molly might actually move on and get away from Sherlock for ever. And neither things really satisfy me... The good thing with John/Sherlock is that at least John is a steady man, he'll always be here physically for Sherlock and I'm sure they'll always keep seeing each other no matter if he's married or what.

Yay, I love Revenge I'm hopeful that both shows will be great but I'm sure Revenge will be at least

Also, just wanted to say I understand the disappointment with the fangroup idea, although it was a nice wink to all of us fans, it did turn out to be a bit cruel because all the theories of different fangroups made sense to some extent but also held up hope for some pairings. For example, for me since I'm a Sherlock/Molly shipper, the kiss did give me hope but it wasn't real so I just tend to find it a bit hurtful. But well, I guess that we take what we can get

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan2009 (View Post)
Loved Mary. She and Sherlock just seemed to click right away.

It's nice to know that they approve of each other.
Hi

That's what I read too on tumblr Many people seemed to enjoy Mary and her relationship with Sherlock!
Thanks to Jade for the icon!!

Last edited by ElizaSparrow; 01-03-2014 at 07:11 AM
Old 01-03-2014, 07:35 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan2009 (View Post)
Loved Mary. She and Sherlock just seemed to click right away.

It's nice to know that they approve of each other.
Mary was made out to be very likeable indeed, perhaps partly because she instantly liked Sherlock.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:55 AM
Master Fan

northboundtrain, thanks for taking time and writing your review. I personally find it interesting to read about different opinions. You brought up some points I haven't considered before. Let me share my view on some.

Quote:
+ The revelation that John pushed Mrs. Hudson out of his life and that she was understandably angry about it. I thought that scene was nicely acted and written.
I loved that as well. Both their reactions were very understandable.

Quote:
- RUSHED REUNION: The last thing I wanted was for what Sherlock did to John to be swept under the rug. And the show-runners kept promising that it wouldn't be. But by the end of the episode, I felt that it had been. I hated that we lost critical parts of the reunion because of the quick jumping from restaurant to restaurant. And then by the middle of the episode John was over it and back in Baker Street solving crimes, as if TRF and the last two years hadn't happened at all.
I also thought John would be more reluctant, but I still hope that future episodes will show how their relationship has changed. John doesn't live at Baker Street anymore and is about to get married, that must have some sort of effect, right?
Regarding the reunion being presented in a very humorous way, for me, it is because of the dramatic perfection in Reichenbach that this different take on it worked. Did I expect a more serious tone? Yes. But I think that whatever they could have done, would have been pale compared to the previous episode's climax. Besides, although Sherlock made those snarky remarks about the moustache, I didn't feel that John's hurt and anger were ridiculed, it rather showed again how emotionally challenged Sherlock is.

Quote:
- EVERYONE KNEW EXCEPT JOHN: I was also left unsatisfied with Sherlock's explanation as to why Mycroft, Molly, his parents, 25 random strangers (and possibly others Sherlock hasn't gotten around to mentioning yet) were all allowed to know he faked his death but John wasn't. And I don't see how John could ever be satisfied with that either. I know Sherlock said he worried John would let the cat out of the bag, but that seems a flimsy excuse to me...that he'd trust all of those other people but not John.

I think it would have been better if he said he didn't tell John because he knew nothing would stop John from going with him, from following him into danger, to hell and back if necessary. That would have made a lot more sense and I think John eventually would have been able to accept Sherlock's argument.
TBH, I was suprised how many people were actually involved. We knew about Molly and I suspected Mycroft, but I didn't expect that magnitude.
However, I don't think Sherlock being afraid of John letting something slip is the whole reason. Sherlock wanted to take down Moriarty's syndicate and he wanted to do it alone. Had John gone with him, it would just have been suspicious. Though I do have to wonder that Sherlock never let John know that he's still alive. Maybe he didn't consider what a big effect it would have on John.

Quote:
- MARY: I love Sherlock and John, but I accepted a long time ago that they are never going to happen. And I know that it's canon for John to get married and for Sherlock and Mary to like each other. All of the reviews were glowing where Mary was concnered, so I was eager to see her. If so many people loved her, I thought the odds were good that I would too.
I know what it's like to feeling let down by a character and having to read all the hype about it. Heck, I didn't start liking Moriarty until Reichenbach. I hope she'll grow on you. It did feel a bit like she was forcefed to the audience, but I'm intruiged by her and interested to find out more.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:21 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Cydonia~ (View Post)
What an amazing episode! I absolutely loved it. I'm only posting from my phone right now, but I'll be back with more detailed thoughts.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked it! I was beginning to worry there was something wrong with me. "Wow, am I just an idiot?"

The mystery itself wasn't anything all that wow, but it wrapped up loose ends, poked fun at the fact that they knew people would be disappointed with the actual answer, and introduced the new villain. Honestly, it's about the same thing that S2E1 did (minus the new villain). I never thought the mystery part of that episode was all that great either, but I still loved it.

And come on...Sherlock's parents? The interactions between Sherlock and Mycroft? Loved it!

And I personally find it pretty hilarious that Molly has a sherlock double in looks and John has a Sherlock double in personality (sort of...At the very least, Mary understood why Sherlock did what he did and didn't find him annoying at all. She gets him, maybe better than John.)

Overall, I enjoyed the episode.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:48 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musickat18 (View Post)
I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked it! I was beginning to worry there was something wrong with me. "Wow, am I just an idiot?"

The mystery itself wasn't anything all that wow, but it wrapped up loose ends, poked fun at the fact that they knew people would be disappointed with the actual answer, and introduced the new villain. Honestly, it's about the same thing that S2E1 did (minus the new villain). I never thought the mystery part of that episode was all that great either, but I still loved it.

And come on...Sherlock's parents? The interactions between Sherlock and Mycroft? Loved it!

And I personally find it pretty hilarious that Molly has a sherlock double in looks and John has a Sherlock double in personality (sort of...At the very least, Mary understood why Sherlock did what he did and didn't find him annoying at all. She gets him, maybe better than John.)

Overall, I enjoyed the episode.
I started to feel the same way.

I agree with the bolded part. Although have to wonder whether that was the writers plan all along.

Interesting point about Mary being a sort of a Sherlock double personality-wise. I haven't seen it like that and have to think about it some more. About, Mary understanding Sherlock's reasons, I have to admit that I still don't fully understand why Sherlock couldn't let John know at some point. But looking at the ACD canon, it isn't too farfetched, I guess. Sherlock Holmes often did cases on his own and didn't contact Watson for a long period of time.

Btw. didn't you say you were going to stay away until the episode aired in the US? Or am I confusing you? Either way, I'm glad you watched it.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:53 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Btw. didn't you say you were going to stay away until the episode aired in the US? Or am I confusing you? Either way, I'm glad you watched it.
I did say that. But some lovely person sent me a link to watch it. I could hold off on the other two but really needed to see ep 1!

Since it airs here at 2:00 p.m. it looks like I"ll be able to watch it on Sundays after all.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:08 AM
Supreme Fan

A little disappointed but all round I enjoyed the episode.
I agree that the John/Sherlock reunion could have been somewhat heavier. It would have also been nice to have seen Molly with someone very intellectual who could match Sherlock because I think that would throw him somewhat off, rather than have have her be with someone who appears to be of quite similar appearance. (Mind you that's not to say there's anything wrong with him).

Very much enjoyed Mary, instantly likable. Can't wait for Sunday night
It's all good..
Old 01-03-2014, 12:11 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
I only found the score music.
the song playing at the restaurant is called, Donde Estas, Yolanda? and performed by Pink Martini.
It was the one i was most interested in.
❤Originals❤Sherlock❤Supernatural❤Masters of Sex❤2 Broke Girls❤Sleepy Hollow❤Walking Dead❤Elementary❤Brooklyn 99❤Hart of Dixie❤Reign❤Lost Girl❤Vampire Diaries❤Blacklist❤Cougar Town❤Teen Wolf❤Almost Human❤
Old 01-03-2014, 12:19 PM
Master Fan

I just found that out myself and wanted to tell you.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:29 PM
Dedicated Fan

I also liked the music that played during Sherlock first imaginary escape plan. The one where he kisses molly. Now i am thinking how to rip it off youtube
❤Originals❤Sherlock❤Supernatural❤Masters of Sex❤2 Broke Girls❤Sleepy Hollow❤Walking Dead❤Elementary❤Brooklyn 99❤Hart of Dixie❤Reign❤Lost Girl❤Vampire Diaries❤Blacklist❤Cougar Town❤Teen Wolf❤Almost Human❤
Old 01-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Supreme Fan

Loved that scene. Want it to be real. Ruffling his hair was awesome.
It's all good..
Old 01-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction (View Post)
Loved that scene. Want it to be real. Ruffling his hair was awesome.
I just think it's hilarious that Anderson thinks Sherlock is some sort of cool casanova.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:17 PM
Supreme Fan

I know, obviously idealises him just a bit too much

I imagine Sherlock being somewhat shy when it comes down to it. The only reason he comes across confident is because Molly is more nervous than him!
It's all good..
Old 01-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musickat18 (View Post)
I just think it's hilarious that Anderson thinks Sherlock is some sort of cool casanova.
Me too. Sherlock is Anderson's hero.

**Anna**, wasn't that a remix of the Sherlock opening theme? I thought I recognised some notes of it during the part, when he kisses Molly. Maybe it'll be on the soundtrack?
Old 01-03-2014, 01:53 PM
Master Fan

Oh boy, so much to read up on and I'm thinking I'll have to write my review tomorrow since I am tired