Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Moderator Manager

Flatmates [Sherlock & John] Friendship #2: They’re still at the beginning of what is gonna be a life-long partnership.

Welcome to the Sherlock Holmes & John Watson Friendship Thread #2

"John is a little bit more in control” says Cumberbatch “There’s an understanding and a balance there, now that they’ve been at it for about nine months. Sherlock is kept in check by him, and he funcitons better with him.”

“I guess like any friendship, marriage, or whatever it is familiarity breeds more contempt, and more love”, Freeman agrees, “They’re just more settled with each other now.”

"Moffat concludes : “[Sherlock] is alarming, strange, possibly psychopathic, but perfectly happy! He clearly adores John, he’s not got some deep emotional problem with connecting with people, he just can’t be arsed. He’d rather be out solving crimes."

"Martin Freeman is one of God’s funniest men on this planet and a joy to work with.

— Benedict Cumberbatch, BAFTAs 2012"

Ben on his favorite moments as Sherlock (PBS Masterpiece Mystery interview S1)

"Every moment spent off camera with Martin Freeman was my favorite moment."

List of Supporters:

1. L i N d $ @ y
2. Andie
3. Cathren
4. DUHsoTK
5. Josie2288
6. Queen of Babble
7. ~Cydonia~
8. autumn_hope
9. ElizaSparrow
10. only dreaming
11. White Witch
12. Amorith
13. Jiorjiina
14. ocfan27
15. bless your soul
16. eireanne
17. Amy
18. eleonor
19. ssbailey
20. hiddleskittlesღ
21. Subject87
22. ChakotaysLover
23. Swamy
24. MovieManiac
25. EndlessღLove
26. Musickat18

Previous threads:

Happiness is sand between my toes and a sunburn on my nose.

dw | dd | kh

Last edited by | Sofia |; 05-18-2013 at 10:44 AM
Old 10-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Passionate Fan

TFTNT ^^

Glad you liked it! Lindsay
Old 10-03-2012, 06:46 AM
Master Fan

TFTNT

Love the quote by Moffat.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Moderator Manager

And I think we need to update the OP. I'll look for some arts posted on the previous thread and add them.

dw | dd | kh
Old 10-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Extreme Fan

One thing I admire about this relationship is how they don't have to say much to know that they care about one another. Sometimes friendships can be just as rewarding even if not much is said. What made me like The Hounds of Baskerville so much was how John could walk away from Sherlock because of his setbacks and how Sherlock can show weakness and not lose his touch. The friendship was back, but I feel Sherlock saw that John would be hard to make a pushover...mainly that both know they need each other and that it would take something dramatic to see it. Sherlock Holmes and Watson have a relationship where it may look like one doesn't appreciate the other, but we know that this isn't true. There is an appreciation there, but one would have to pay very close attention in order for one to see it.

Audrey
Old 10-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Elite Fan

Love your thoughts Audrey
Old 10-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHsoTK (View Post)
Love your thoughts Audrey
Thank you. When I watch a show, the characters and how they get along fascinate me.

Audrey
Old 10-06-2012, 03:19 AM
Elite Fan

Yeah absolutely. The character interactions and the story lines are so fascinating
Old 10-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Master Fan

Lindsay, that would be great.

Hey Audrey

I very muchh agree with what you said. You can tell how much they appreciate each other without any sentimental words.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Passionate Fan

From Cheltenham

The role is, he said, “such a rich gift for an actor. [Arthur Conan Doyle] makes the ordinary extraordinary… and Watson is the audience being dragged through. It’s about the thrill of the relationship. It’s been copied…I hate the word sidekick – I’m sure Martin [Freeman, who plays Watson to Benedict’s Sherlock] does too. It’s a double act.”

There was effusive praise for Martin from Benedict – he recalled that when they first read together, “I felt my game go up. He can ground this extraordinary extravagant character” - and for the pair from Louise, who revealed that she’d been frightened by how good they were at the first script reading: “it felt like you were both already there.” 1

My favourite part of filming #sherlock? Whiskey at end of the day and rat-tat-tat dialogue with Watson.

https://twitter.com/RTBenPreston/sta...76824200724480

Last edited by DUHsoTK; 10-07-2012 at 05:42 AM
Old 10-07-2012, 05:43 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for that
Old 10-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Passionate Fan

A bit more or a different version if you preffer

I hate the word “sidekick” and I’m sure Martin does as well because Watson is so much more than that. He’s his righthand man, his Boswell, his blogger.

On Martin and Benedict being so good at the first script reading – had he done anything with him before?

No nothing. I read in the auditions. We met some amazing actors who would have bought something extraordinary to the part but when Martin walked in I just felt my game raise. I completely did and what he has which is no small talent and has been rightly recognised not just by awards but also by the critics, he can ground this extraordinary extravagant character and can give it a realistic context to something which is otherwise quite fantastical. It’s not like he has super powers but there is something other about him which Martin completely levels.

It’s so rich to play off as an actor as well. Because so often Sherlock is off on his own tangents so it’s not the usual thing of listening and responding so it can often be that I’m speaking for a half page of dialogue and Martin will just go “gives wry look”

where I’ve got that rat a tat tat dialogue with Martin where I’ve got that flying dialogue with him.

I like the Christmas party – I like the music, I like what Martin’s doing there

I couldn’t see Martin’s face. He was just a little blob on the pavement waiting for a bigger blob to land by his feet. That was really wonderful to see what he had done on the other end of that phone conversation. I could hear, we were wired so we could hear each other speak in real time. So I could hear him but to see it was really really moving and seeing him in shock afterwards…it’s ridiculous but it actually made me cry.

Are you more of a Watson or a Sherlock in real life?

Watson. I’m much more of a follower. Martin has much more intuitive brilliance than I have which would make him an asexual sociopath. Not that Martin Freeman is an asexual sociopath but he’s just far quicker at thinking than I am.

From Cumberbatchweb
Old 10-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxia (View Post)
One thing I admire about this relationship is how they don't have to say much to know that they care about one another. Sometimes friendships can be just as rewarding even if not much is said. What made me like The Hounds of Baskerville so much was how John could walk away from Sherlock because of his setbacks and how Sherlock can show weakness and not lose his touch. The friendship was back, but I feel Sherlock saw that John would be hard to make a pushover...mainly that both know they need each other and that it would take something dramatic to see it. Sherlock Holmes and Watson have a relationship where it may look like one doesn't appreciate the other, but we know that this isn't true. There is an appreciation there, but one would have to pay very close attention in order for one to see it.
Very well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Witch (View Post)
From Cheltenham

The role is, he said, “such a rich gift for an actor. [Arthur Conan Doyle] makes the ordinary extraordinary… and Watson is the audience being dragged through. It’s about the thrill of the relationship. It’s been copied…I hate the word sidekick – I’m sure Martin [Freeman, who plays Watson to Benedict’s Sherlock] does too. It’s a double act.”

There was effusive praise for Martin from Benedict – he recalled that when they first read together, “I felt my game go up. He can ground this extraordinary extravagant character” - and for the pair from Louise, who revealed that she’d been frightened by how good they were at the first script reading: “it felt like you were both already there.” 1

My favourite part of filming #sherlock? Whiskey at end of the day and rat-tat-tat dialogue with Watson.

https://twitter.com/RTBenPreston/sta...76824200724480
Thanks for posting this.

dw | dd | kh
Old 10-10-2012, 06:36 AM
Elite Fan

Thank you so much for posting that.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:12 PM
Moderator Manager

Credit

dw | dd | kh
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top