Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 10:13 AM
Elite Fan

No, I think the title happened because at the end of the previous thread we were talking about a lot of different Jake couples But every couple is welcome, promise!

and you're right, had it not been for fic or fandom in general, YA wouldn't have had the impact on me that it did!
Old 05-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Bryan Greenberg

Hi

I don't know how I found this fics the other day but I knew I had to share the J/H goodies:

The Girl Wonder

The adventures of Jake and Hamilton
Old 05-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for sharing them!! I can't believe I never bothered to check AO3 for YA fics!
Old 05-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Bryan Greenberg

I hope you like them, both made me smile
Old 05-11-2013, 11:31 PM
Elite Fan

Aww that sounds great! Can't wait to read them then!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:52 AM
Loyal Fan

YA fanfics on "Archive of Our Own"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolkenfuehlen (View Post)
Thanks for sharing them!! I can't believe I never bothered to check AO3 for YA fics!
Really? Jewelianna put her fanfics on Archive of Our Own when she took her Strawberry Lane fansite down.

The AO page for all Young Americans fanfics is:

Young Americans (TV) - Works | Archive of Our Own
Old 05-18-2013, 04:34 AM
Elite Fan

I must admit, I'm not all that passionate about fanfic in general anymore (unless it's there to fix what went wrong in canon, like with The Following recently ), so I guess it just slipped my mind. Maybe I should put my old fics up at AO3....or maybe I should just delete them in hopes that the internets will one day forget them!
Old 05-18-2013, 06:22 AM
Loyal Fan

Hmmm ... Fanfiction seems just to be coming into its own. Think Fifty Shades.. The Internet, obviously.

I confess, I'm not all that keen on the YA sequels. For me, the bottom line is that if Hamilton loves Jake (and he does), and if he's not a fool (he's not), then he has to let her go. She has to stop pretending to be a boy, and she has to leve Rawley to do that.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Elite Fan

You've mentioned that before I don't read either sequel for the Jake/Hamilton aspect (not anymore at least), so I'm fine I guess.

As with fanfics...I read so much when I was younger, no matter how crappy it was or even if I liked the pairing or not. I think there comes a point where you've just had enough and really only read fics that catch your attention in the matter of the first two paragraphs That said, J know tons of people who still read tons of fics, so maybe it's just me
Old 05-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

I read a lot of fics, but it has to be quality and a genre I'm into.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Elite Fan

I know you read a lot. I think maybe I've just become really...elitist and hard to please
Old 05-22-2013, 07:06 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolkenfuehlen (View Post)
As with fanfics...I read so much when I was younger, no matter how crappy it was or even if I liked the pairing or not. I think there comes a point where you've just had enough and really only read fics that catch your attention in the matter of the first two paragraphs
^this.

Sorry to plop myself into the conversation, but I find it interesting

When I was younger I read a lot of fic, most of it was awful. But because I was young I didn't quite know that it was awful. It wasn't until years later that I realized just how poor the quality was, and by that point I was a little older and had since learned what constituted a good, interesting, unique, solid story. To this day, I do still read fanfic on occasion and I still find myself falling in love with certain stories but now the writer has to win me over in the first few paragraphs. Whether it's a dark fic or fluff, I have to feel confident in the writer's ability to keep me entertained. I hold fanfic to the same bar as I do actual novels.

Since we're on the subject of fanfiction in general I'm also curious to know what everyone thinks about Amazon launching a fanfiction platform.

Maybe I'm too ''old school'' but it just...doesn't feel right to me. I mean I know some fic writers host their own stories on their own sites and occasionally have a ''If you wish to donate'' button, which I'm totally for and down with because it's an option but charging for fanfic...just...seems weird
But then on the other hand there are fanfic writers who I believe in and think highly of and if one of them decided to bunker down and write a novel length fanfic I could potentially see myself buying to support them. But I really only see people going for this if it's an established fanfic writer.

Thoughts?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Elite Fan

Plop away, the more discussions, the better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by street serenade (View Post)
^this. When I was younger I read a lot of fic, most of it was awful. But because I was young I didn't quite know that it was awful. It wasn't until years later that I realized just how poor the quality was, and by that point I was a little older and had since learned what constituted a good, interesting, unique, solid story. To this day, I do still read fanfic on occasion and I still find myself falling in love with certain stories but now the writer has to win me over in the first few paragraphs. Whether it's a dark fic or fluff, I have to feel confident in the writer's ability to keep me entertained. I hold fanfic to the same bar as I do actual novels.
Exactly that. For me, personally, I used to mostly read fanfics on LJ, and I already judged the fic by whether or not the author could format the header properly or not. If it was poorly formatted I wouldn't even bother with the fic.

Fanfics for sale, especially on such an "official" platform feels incredibly off to me, too. Who guarantees that people actually sell their own work? Who decides what is acceptable and what isn't? How much of the money you pay actually goes to the writer, and how much goes to Amazon/the copyright holders?
I just think, most fanfic writers do this for fun. Even if they invest a lot of time and energy in it. and of course they do appreciate donations for webspace etc, but...nobody wants to actually earn money with fanfic, do they? I think we as a generation still very much know that those characters we write about belong to someone else and thus making money with them, no matter in what way, would not be okay. So. I wonder how many copyright holders will agree to this. I remember Anne Rice throwing a tantrum because people used "her" characters for fanfics and suing them... so.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Passionate Fan

Right. I feel like fanfic writers for the most part do it for their own enjoyment and for the enjoyment of others. Like there's sort of an understanding there of us being in the same boat together because we share this affection for a certain fandom. To turn around then and charge for it will sort of diminish the connection the reader feels to the story and/or writer. If that makes any kind of sense I don't know, I feel like charging for stories will sort of lessen that warm, fuzzy feeling of community within fandoms.

Maybe it's because I have faith in the community aspect of fandoms that I don't see a lot of fanfic writers wanting to take advantage of this. I feel like the majority will continue to write because they want to share and entertain others.

Yeah, I don't think most sites allow people to post stories that involve Anne Rice's characters because of her tantrum. I do recall reading an article a few years back about how she discovered God and got really into religion and faith and how she said she was no longer proud of her vampire novels. I really remember her trashing her own work...so I wonder now, if she feels strongly about protecting them from being touched by fanfic writers. Weird.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Elite Fan

I agree, this project certainly undermines the community aspect of fandom/fanfic. But then, as you said, I don't see writers, especially established ones, taking advantage of this and offering their fics only for money. (I personally would never dare. I mean, imagine you set it all up and then nobody buys your fic. That must feel so terrible!) Alas, I suppose right now we really don't have to worry because there's only three fandoms there, none of which I read in (and they're all very much centered on a teen audience which doesn't have money to spend anyway, right? )

Yes, I think Anne Rice switched from vampires to angels, although I never heard about her trashing her own works. Ah well. I only ever read two of the books, I think, but I do think it was a really interesting universe that she created there. (and Lestat/Louis 4evaaaa )