Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Noooo, it was all about Will and his charm

[TWENTY YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
Join us for one l a s t celebration!♡
♪_where would we be without a little l o v e?
[ Sheida : Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram ]
Old 09-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Passionate Fan

Will is okay in small doses
Old 09-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Will is okay in two cases: with the voice overs (when its just the voice) and the scenes he doesnt talk in (where its just the view) put those two together and the lying and complaining start

Old 09-26-2008, 04:04 PM
Passionate Fan

Yeah. His storylines are kind of snooze worthy, but I enjoy his voice-overs.

Overall, the show is one giant hunk of cheese, which isn't a bad thing at all. We all need a little cheese on our plate. In fact I find it refreshing. I mean I love Dexter and Nip/Tuck, and lots of other ''gritty'' shows, but there are some days where you just need a light little something...
Old 09-27-2008, 12:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I tried watching the first episode of Dexter, it resulted in my mum shouting and telling me to turn it off right away cause it was too gory I kinda agree with her.

We all need a lot of cheese (just like we need a little bit of love ) have you seen Doctor Who its all full of cheese but sooooo enjoyable

Old 09-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Passionate Fan

Yeah, earlier this year I got really sick and had to stay home from work for a day or two and since there was nothing to do I watched a Dr. Who marathon and loved it.

YA is really the only teeny show I've ever watched, I think(I mean I casually and secretly watched DC, but other than that). It has this sort of innocence to it which I enjoy.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Ooh, the new Doctor Who? Its just awesome, my dad and I just finished watching the first season, excited about David Tennant coming on from now on

Hmm, What do you mean about teeny shows cause I think I watch a load The OC, Dawsons Creek and YA are the ones I really like though, YA is more innocent than the rest of them.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:55 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by street serenade (View Post)
We respect our elder Jahammers.
I'm glad to hear that. I kind of moved on to being a Kate M fan (ran a big fansite about her for many years, it was the only one of quite a while). Then my time had to be put elsewhere and it all faded away.

Lately I've been trying to get in touch with my inner Jahammer. It's more difficult than it should be. Tips?

And Will? Well... he was nice, but too much of a push-over for my taste.

I used to be schizo but now we're fine.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Pssst, you could always re-watch the show with us

Old 09-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Passionate Fan

Yeah, Kate M is basically the only reason I bothered to watch this show. What site was that?

Yep, I'd suggest rewatching the show with us, or reading some of the better fanfics floating around out there. Specifically White Lily Blossoms, which you can find on fanfiction.net It's great.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
We respect our elder Jahammers.
Thank you for making me feel old.

Quote:
Overall, the show is one giant hunk of cheese, which isn't a bad thing at all.
No, not at all. I love that I can't get the grin out of my face when I watch it. It's just too cute.

Therese, rewatch the episodes, and your inner jahammer will reappear. Promise!
Old 10-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolkenfuehlen (View Post)
Thank you for making me feel old.
Nah, you're younger than me.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

But older than me

Old 02-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Loyal Fan

Cross-dressing as a test of "true love"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTrueLoveMarinus (View Post)
I notice myself ALWAYS rewinding Jake & Hamilton. They're my favorite couple and storyline. Even though the show's great, I don't think I would have become so obsessed with it if not for J&H! Kate Moennig is a gem! Anything she does is hypnotic!
Obviously, the Jake-Hamilton relationship is the most compelling storyline in Young Americans. However, much as I like Moennig and Somerhalder, I don't think that's because of the actors. It's because of Antin's development of something truly novel: cross-dressing as a test of true love. That's not just my subjectively favorite part of YA; I dare to argue that it is objectively the best part of the show, a stroke of rare dramatic brilliance wasted on teen TV.

Antin in YA does "realistically," without resort to magic, what such ancient tales as Beauty and the Beast, or The Frog Prince, or Chaucer's Wife of Bath's Tale, could do only by resort to magic, namely to prove that an erotically expressed love is essentially spiritual and innocent by:
-- (1) posing the test, "Would you love this person even if his/her physical form were unappealing?" (as a male must be, at least relatively, to another male who is "straight" in the sense of preferring women physically) and
-- (2) rewarding the "true lover" who passes the test (as Hamilton does at the Cotillion) with a transformation of the beloved into a physically more appealing form.

Dramatically, no other "realistic" test of true love works so well as cross-dressing. Consider:
-- "Hamilton, I'm not poor"
-- "Hamilton, I'm not crippled"
-- "Hamilton, I don't have AIDS" (or leprosy or syphilis, or other communicable disease)
-- "Hamilton, I'm not dying"
-- "Hamilton, I'm not black (or other racially/ethnically/religiously different group, i.e., 'Romeo, I'm not a Capulet!')"
-- "Hamilton, I'm not old"
-- "Hamilton, I'm not mentally retarded"
-- "Hamilton, I'm not a drunkard (or murderer, or thief, or adulterer, or morally flawed in the parameter of your choice)"
For diverse reasons that are apparent upon reflection, none of these has the same dramatic potential as "Hamilton, I'm a girl (not a boy)."

Furthermore, in the long history of cross-dressing in drama, nobody before Antin in Young Americans used cross-dressing as a test of true love in this way.

But the truly amazing thing -- something thing I just cannot understand -- is that nobody since Antin has subsequently used cross-dressing as a test of true love. That this plot device simply was born and died in a failed WB teen TV series, and left no posterity, strikes me as tragic and incomprehensible.

Last edited by Finnegan; 02-23-2010 at 08:28 PM
Old 10-29-2010, 02:33 PM
Loyal Fan

Quantitative confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Somerhalder (View Post)
I'm starting to feel that 100% of YA fans got hooked on the show cause of Jake and Hamilton.
Yes. One of the little pleasures of having a YouTube channel is that, after sufficient views of any given clip, YouTube gives one a little graph showing which parts of the clip viewers watch most (replaying), and which parts they watch least (fast forwarding through). Clip after clip, on the "IckyGrub" channel, where all of YA is posted in HD, it's the JaHammer scenes that people watch most. No surprise there, just objective quantitative confirmation of what one already knows by other means.

The really interesting question is: was Antin aware that the JaHammer story-line was the core of the drama, despite giving it so little air time? I'm persuaded that he was fully aware of it. But I've already made that case elsewhere on this board.

(I regret that posters on this thread, and elsewhere, are so unappreciative of Krudski, who is not what he seems at first glance.)