Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-23-2012, 12:34 PM
Elite Fan

I wonder what is holding them back - it's only six epsiode that could fit on two DVDs. Doesn't seem like there is a lot to lose?!
As for specials... I have a feeling that it would be hard to get commentaries from both Kates and Ian... unless they are nostalgic about their roots and get paid a lot.

On the other hand they never released season 3 of Once and Again as far as I know and I'm still crying over that.

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 03-24-2012, 12:29 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgre@ (View Post)
A combination of more demand and other shows getting released moved it up another 10 places.
How, pray tell, is such demand measured? By the number of copyright infringement enforcement actions on YouTube?

The two video covers you've posted are lovely, but Anja, our moderator, informed me on this thread, half a dozen posts ago, that they're fan mock-ups (as I'd rather suspected).

Somewhere on this board, possibly on this thread, there's record of a fan rumor that the impediment to a YA DVD release is the extensive use of Nick Drake songs in the soundtrack. They were cheap in 2000; Steve Antin beat the Nick Drake revival by a year or two when he made YA. Now, however, they're dear, and I'm told that no DVD option is normally built into soundtrack contracts.

The Skins DVDs don't have the original music, I've read. I can't imagine Tony Stonem's bus accident without Cat Stevens' "Wild World." Better to watch it on YouTube, notwithstanding my general distaste for bootlegging. I suppose something could replace Nick Drake in YA, but what?
Old 03-24-2012, 06:22 AM
Elite Fan

Didn't the whole cast sing "Wild World" at some point? So I would have thought they may have paid at least for this one.

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 03-24-2012, 01:03 PM
Part-Time Fan

TVShowsOnDVD is a site started by a guy who lives not too far from me. He later sold it to TVGuide but he still runs it, as an employee instead of the owner. User-declared interest in shows is actually of significance there. You have to sign in to vote for shows you would buy if only they were available to purchase. You can also declare what shows you already own. It is very influential in determining what shows get home video releases and which you have to put up with bootlegs of.

The covers were posted for those who are unable to access youtube to see them in that video.

Chris Blackwell was the guy who owned Island Records when Nick Drake was alive. He owned the company until the late 1990s. If Chris Blackwell was still the owner of the songs he would not be such a dick. But Vivendi now owns them and they are not so sentimental. When this show was made home video release of television was abnormal and expensive. Shows now consider such things when selecting music and usually include it in contracts. Still, if people are willing to pay more than $20 for it and Sony knew that then they could pay Vivendi for the music and release the show for $60.

Finegan you stop all talk of this music swapping instantly, That means no response to this at all. None. Bury this idea in an 30m grave under the Pacific Ocean. Never. Never. Never. Never. Never advocate for that again. NEVER. You put that idea out as acceptable and you and i are openly brutally at odds. And they would take the easy road and go that way. You do not want to know what i would do if they put out that butchered, frankenstein's-monster, kind of release.

PINK MOON or bootlegs FOREVER
Old 03-25-2012, 10:09 AM
Elite Fan

30m grave? Tricky. Perhaps in a suduction zone...

Old 03-26-2012, 11:11 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgre@ (View Post)
Sony, if you make it good - no swapping out music (we'd all know if you did) or poor transfers (we got those already) - and include some commentaries and other bonus features then i am pretty sure we would be willing to pay for a nice blu-ray and DVD release
The worst part is, even if the DVD had the most awful quality, no extras and was ridiculously expensive, I would still buy it in a heartbeat.

I really think Sony are stupid for not releasing it a few years back. Ian got huge with Lost and is now such a big star with TVD. Kate B has a lot of fans. Kate M still has lots of leftover fans from TLW. Matt is doing well for himself on The Good Wife. Charlie is on Sons of Anarchy...... from an economic viewpoint, this is the best moment ever for them to release the DVDs.

One of the shows that TVShowsOnDVD got released in recent years was The Crow: Stairway to Heaven, which was so crappy (and awesome! ) and more or less hated by the entire (huge!) The Crow fandom. And yet, it made it to DVD. Why can't we have that?!

Finnegan, you're right, most of the Skins music is swapped on the DVD. Wild World is one of the few exceptions. I'm not quite sure I get the creators' movitation behind it, because by now they know they'll release DVDs, so it seems stupid for them not to license certain songs for DVD release or simply use songs they already know they can use on DVD. Ah well.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
The Skins DVDs don't have the original music, I've read. I can't imagine Tony Stonem's bus accident without Cat Stevens' "Wild World." Better to watch it on YouTube, notwithstanding my general distaste for bootlegging. I suppose something could replace Nick Drake in YA, but what?
I only found out about this last night when I downloaded episode 9 of season 2 last night cause i wanted a better quality to make a gif from and saw that they'd changed the song at the end from Hometown Glory to something else which is insane cause that scene is all I can think of when I hear Hometown Glory

[TWENTY YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
Join us for one l a s t celebration!♡
♪_where would we be without a little l o v e?
[ Sheida : Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram ]
Old 03-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Elite Fan

^ It's the same for me with the final scene in season 2 with Effy in Tony's bed, with MGMT playing in the background. They swapped that on the DVD as well. I'm actually not quite sure if they changed the music for Sid's emotional breakdown in his season 2 episode...I really hope they didn't. As I said, I really don't get why nowadays, where it's pretty clear most shows will be released on DVD, the studios don't buy the DVD publishing rights as well when they buy rights to certain music.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Loyal Fan

"Cuando dicho que te quiero?"

The French dubbing of YA is great. Each voice carefully replicates the timbre of the original.

But for some truly atrocious dubbing, especially of the girls, try the Spanish version. Here's a clip of the JaHammer "I love you" scene at the marina from episode 6:

You don't need to know Spanish, just listen to the voices ... guaranteed to make you squirm. No effort at all to make "Jake" sound like a guy.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan (View Post)
You don't need to know Spanish, just listen to the voices ... guaranteed to make you squirm. No effort at all to make "Jake" sound like a guy.
They didn't make any effort in the German dubbing version, either.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:35 AM
Loyal Fan

YA in French on YouTube - great visual quality, good dubbing

The first five episodes of YA dubbed in French, as broadcast on M6 in 2001, 2003 and 2005, are now on YouTube in whole-episode clips. The visual quality is superb, and the dubbing is very sensitive, recreating faithfully the timbre of the original voices.

Of course, some things get lost in translation: Finn's telling Will, "You exceeded expectations" at the start of YA 8 becomes "Vous avez bien travaille," which loses a restatement of a core YA theme, but such is life.

A couple of years ago, when I grabbed the French version to re-dub it back into English to make a watchable English-language version, it wasn't on YouTube, just on a Chinese site.

If your colloquial French is less than perfect (like mine), but you've already memorized the script of YA, it's a great way to learn some French. Like reading the Bible in a foreign language ...

It's quite easy to download from YouTube, by the way. The web is full of tools for doing that.

Here are the URLs. Be sure to set the viewing quality to 480 pixels to get the benefit of the high visual quality:

Episode 1

Episode 2

Episode 3

Episode 4

Episode 5

Episode 6 (firs 15 minutes only)

To make it easy for you, I've put them all together into a single playlist on my YA-dedicated YouTube channel:

YA in French, whole episodes

And I've asked the uploader for the last three episodes. I'm not signing up for the things one must sign up for to upload clips longer than 15 minutes.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:59 PM
Elite Fan

The only time I will endure French movies/shows is when they're originally French, sorry. I do not believe in dubbing - subtitles are the way to go, always. But thanks for bringing these over nevertheless.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:42 PM
Loyal Fan

Wanted: A "Young Americans" production script

We may never get an authorized DVD release of Young Americans.

But we should be able to get a scan of a Young Americans production script posted online.

It's a matter of public record that there were dozens of production scripts - both final "shooting scripts" and "early draft" production scripts - circulating in the fan community.

I want a good PDF scan of a Young Americans production script - either "early draft" or "shooting" - to post online for public viewing and downloading.

I'm willing to pay money.

If you have such a script, please send me a private message via the FanForum private message service.