Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Elite Fan

Future Live Rewatches #2 - Please Read! :) NOW WATCHING: The Path season 2!

how does this work?
After we decide on a project to (re)watch, we set a date and time for the (re)watch. (This site is quite handy to help figure out what time the scheduled (re)watches are for everyone.) At that specific time, we all meet here on the board and start watching the project at the same time, which'll allow us to discuss things as they happen in the project. We've watched loads of episodes and even some movies like this in the past...and it's always been great fun!

what can we (re)watch?
Pretty much anything, provided it is YA-related and most of us can get our hands on it. While we do try to stick to YA-related movies or one-off appearances of the YA cast on other shows, there are some ongoing shows with a YA cast member in a regular role that we're watching as well.

In addition to this thread, keep an eye out on the individual actor's threads to be up to date on what we're currently watching or thinking about watching next We're always open for suggestions, and there's no strict schedule on which order we should watch things in!

things we've (re)watched together already...
→ all episodes of Young Americans...including the unaired pilot
→ Skins 2x06 (structural/thematic similarities to YA)

with Kate Bosworth
→ Superman Returns
→ SS-GB

with Gabrielle Christian
→ House 7x05

with Mark Famiglietti
→ Premonition
→ Drop Dead Diva 6x01-02
→ Major Crimes 3x01
→ Bones 6x10 The Body in the Bag
→ CSI 14x08 Helpless
→ Grimm 4x15
→ Aquarius
→ Castle 8x09

with Charlie Hunnam
→ Green Street
→ Undeclared season 1

with Kate Moennig
→ Everybody's Fine
→ Ray Donovan ~on-going project

with Michelle Monaghan
→ True Detective season 1
→ Project Runway 13x10
→ The Path ~on-going project

with Rodney Scott
→ Ghost Whisperer 1x01 Pilot

suggestions for future (re)watches
→ Romeo and Juliet
→ Dawson's Creek season 3 episodes that introduced YA as the spinoff
→ with Kate Bosworth: Rules of Attraction, The Art of More
→ with Gabrielle Christian: Numb3rs 4x16, CSI: Miami 6x08, Hawaii Five-Oh 3x16, Without A Trace 3x01
→ with Matt Czuchry: Slap Her... She's French
→ with Mark Famiglietti: The Divorce Party, Code Black 2x15+16, Secrets of a Psychopath, CSI 1x04, Acting Like Adults, Mad Men 5x09, Without a Trace 7x07, CSI: Miami 6x20, Cold Case 4x04, CSI: New York 2x13
→ with Charlie Hunnam: Pacific Rim, King Arthur, Papillon
→ with Kate Moennig: CSI: Miami 6x19, Law and Order SVU 4x21, Law and Order 12x03
→ with Michelle Monaghan: Maid of Honor, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
→ with Ian Somerhalder: Pulse, Smallville s3, Law and Order SVU 4x20, CSI: Miami 2x05, CSI 3x01, Life as a House, Rules of Attraction, The Tournament
→ with Rodney Scott: Ghost Whisperer 4x07, The Strip, Sex and Consequence, Crossing Jordan 1x14, CSI: Miami 2x10, Cold Case 3x07, NCIS 3x22, Close to Home 2x18
→ by Steven Antin (creator): Burlesque, Proud Mary
→ all of Young Americans ... because why the hell not?
→ ...

upcoming (re)watches:
→ Ray Donovan season 2 (with Kate Moennig) ~on-going project
→ The Path season 2 (with Michelle Monaghan) ~on-going project
→ The Art of More (with Kate Bosworth)
Previous thread
OP updated: July 9th, 2017
Please let a mod restart this thread. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolkenfuehlen (View Post)
You're on the East Coast, right? Hm, hm, so maybe about 4pm-ish for you, which is 10 pm for me and should be...12:30am for Sheida? I gotta check that again tomorrow.
I double-checked, and it seems I was right. (Yay!)

So now let's officially schedule the rewatch of Skins 2x06 for Friday, January 6, 9PM GMT, which is...
...4PM for Finnegan (right?)
...10PM for me
...12:30AM for Sheida

Anyone else wanna join in?

Last edited by wolkenfuehlen; 07-09-2017 at 02:06 PM
Old 01-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
So now let's officially schedule the rewatch of Skins 2x06 for Friday, January 6, 9PM GMT, which is...
...4PM for Finnegan (right?)
I'll be there, thanks.

Quote:
Anyone else wanna join in?
Jessica, I hope. A delightful contrarian.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Elite Fan

Cool I think Jessica mentioned that Skins wasn't her kind of show and that she might sit this one out
Old 01-06-2012, 04:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Its tonight cant wait

Hmm Ill see if Nia from the Skins board would like to come

[TWENTY YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
Join us for one l a s t celebration!♡
♪_where would we be without a little l o v e?
[ Sheida : Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram ]
Old 01-06-2012, 04:48 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Cool I think Jessica mentioned that Skins wasn't her kind of show and that she might sit this one out
I downloaded ep 1 of the domestic remake and i actually went looking to see if i could find a legal opinion on the nature of the show for where it is made. Don't really do that with most any other show i have seen. Not exactly an endearing or good sign for a show to prompt such action. Legally it is legal but Ontario has some generous artistic merit stuff it falls under. I take it that the British show is pretty much the same since noone is saying otherwise.

I guess you can call my disinterest in the show my contradictory contribution.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Loyal Fan

Orpheus & Eurydice in DC/YA and Skins

References for our live rewatch of Skins s2e6 later today:

-- A quite good whole-episode clip of Skins s2e6 is available on YouTube either here (a restricted video [sex scenes] requiring a YouTube account) or here (same video, unrestricted, no account required).

-- The scene in Dawson's Creek 3/20, "The Longest Day" (May 2000), in which Krudski tells Jen the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice, apparently to foreshadow and promote Young Americans as a summer 2000 fill-in for DC, can be viewed here. It's strikingly similar to the opening of Skins s2e6 -- except that Skins 2/6 omits the ending of the story, whereas DC 3/20 does not. One interesting question is why Skins omits it.

-- Comparing YA to Skins, most recent page of this thread.

-- The thread for discussion of Skins s2e6 on the Skins board of this forum is http://www.fanforum.com/f287/2x06-%5...sion-62874788/. On it, I've posted, in diverse recent posts, the case for my argument that the episode is a dream, as well as references to soundtrack songs and visual props that can enhance viewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgre@ (View Post)
I downloaded ep 1 of the domestic remake [of Skins] ... I take it that the British show is pretty much the same since noone is saying otherwise.
Jessica,

S1e1 of Skins is deliberately painful: "that from which we are to be redeemed" is of necessity the start of a redemption story. I failed twice to make it past s1e1. My wife (who in the past week has ploughed through 4 seasons and on into the fifth, past me), also hated s1e1 and had to be cajoled past it. So did my elder son -- he stalled for a week after s1e1 but has watched an average of two episodes a week since then. Only my younger son, who started Skins with s3 (the path to hell) last year, didn't dislike s1e1. (It's been almost like all watching YA as a family in summer 2000, with the added advantage that we can all watch, and rewatch, when we wish, and hence discuss better.)

There is a similar, but much briefer, presentation of "that from which we are to be redeemed" in YA, which is also a redemption story (of both Jake and Will, who are, in different ways, Everyman). It's the naked run into the lake (a false baptism introduced by a doubly ironic line, "Gotta love tradition"), the scene in which Scout and Bella quote the first chapter of Segal's Love Story, and the scene in which Will and Scout tell each other lies about misbehaviors that they never committed while walking through the woods in their boxers. Those scenes are painful; there is nothing like them later in the drama. In these scenes of YA, as in the first episode of Skins, sex is dissociated from love. It's "that from which we are to be redeemed" by a love story, and it's kinda gross.

Last edited by Finnegan; 01-06-2012 at 12:21 PM
Old 01-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I have to agree with you Finnegan, if it werent for the fact that Anja ket telling me the show was awesome I wouldnt have watched past episode 1, but I decided to give it one more try and I have to say I loved episode 2.

Also Finnegan, we can also invite people from the Skins board to come watch if you want, I already told Nia, if you want post a link on the Skins board, maybe one of them joins us

Old 01-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Loyal Fan

Orpheus & Eurydice in DC/YA and Skins

Sheida -- Keep at it. In general, Skins s1 and s2 just keep getting better and better. By s1e5, you'll discern the beginnings of the main "first generation" story-line trajectory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s e r e n i t y (View Post)
Also Finnegan, we can also invite people from the Skins board to come watch if you want, I already told Nia, if you want post a link on the Skins board, maybe one of them joins us.
Better you than me, Sheida. You're a moderator. I'm a party-pooping old pedant who has littered the Skins board with strange posts suggesting that Skins has a level of meaning that eludes most of its viewers. But if you're going to invite people who don't know YA to watch Skins s2e6 with us here, you might offer them a link to the comparable "Orpheus and Eurydice" scene from DC 3/20, here.

Everyone else, please note the rewatch reference links I've provided two posts previously on this thread.

Last edited by Finnegan; 01-06-2012 at 12:24 PM
Old 01-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Elite Fan

i'm in. where do we post about it? here?
Old 01-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Elite Fan

Hey there Nia!
Old 01-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Elite Fan

hi! it's been a long time since i last watched YA! actually.. back when it was actually airing. so i may not be good in comparing but interested to see what everyone discusses about it.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Elite Fan

I didn't know you had watched YA...or did I? You should rewatch it, you know?
Old 01-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I didnt know youd watched YA Nia great! And thanks so much for showng up, sorry Im slightly late guys, my internet took long to connect.

I think we decided to watch it in the 'dream' thread? Would you like to bmp that up Finnegan? And we can get started

Old 01-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Loyal Fan

Skins 2/6, DC 3/20, and YA: Orpheus and Eurydice as prelude to a dream

Well, it's 4PM here. Ready?

Links to Skins s2e6 on YouTube, to Krudski in DC 3/20, and to prior discussion here.

Skins s2e6 seems to be Tony's dream of going to school to learn to love better. While there, he meets an older version of what he'll be if he doesn't: the solider on the train, and the lecturer at the university, both played by the same actor. And it's all introduced by a reading of the Orpheus and Eurydice myth.

Seems incredibly similar to Young Americans to me, given Krudski's introduction of YA by reciting the Orpheus and Eurydice myth in DC 3/20.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Elite Fan

So we're all here! The thread is here. See you there!