Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2014, 11:43 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Music
Alias

not to me, it's nothing like what it should be. especially with that wtf slapstick bathroom fight scene in the middle.

anyway...
and I will never be captive, or hostage, or confined.
- icon - k-pop - Dave
Old 09-15-2014, 12:08 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Cry (View Post)
not to me, it's nothing like what it should be. especially with that wtf slapstick bathroom fight scene in the middle.
The bathroom fight is ****ing genius!

I'll grant that it's far away form the book (even Cruise's casting is way off-base), but the finished film is very strong.

If you can find a way to let go of the book, get some distance from it, I think you might enjoy it better.
Or the man who's half a boy.
~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 09-15-2014, 04:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

and another question

Spoiler:

☆ The Swan-Jones ☆
♥S&K♥♥R&Hr♥♥P&K♥♥J&B♥♥C&C♥♥E&K♥

Old 09-15-2014, 04:47 PM
Master Fan

We all die in the end.
~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 09-15-2014, 04:49 PM
Extreme Fan

Best female characters : Lorelai(Gilmore girls),Claire(Outlander),Scarlett(Gone with the Wind),Kahlan(Legend of the seeker),Miss Parker(The Pretender),Katniss(The Hunger games),Bones(Bones),Bree (DH),Root (POI),Spencer(PLL),...
Old 09-17-2014, 08:35 AM
Master Fan

Lost Jennifer Lawrence-Bradley Cooper Movie: It "Made No Sense"

09/11/01=NEVER FORGET RIP PAUL WALKER- CORY AND NAYA
Elodie"Aujourd'hui il va pleuvoir,mais demain le soleil brillera..."
Old 09-17-2014, 09:19 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Says one top buyer, "The film was so edited, it made no sense." Another called the performances "uneven, particularly Lawrence's [descent into madness]" as the childless wife of a timber baron.
But then the distributor who rejected the movie was hardly going to offer praise.

This 'descent into madness' thing is odd, being as that isn't what happens with Serena in either the book or the script that I read. She doesn't go mad, she reveals a calculated coldness, and a callousness which makes her extremely dangerous.

It's also worth pointing out that others who have seen the movie, have been quick to single Jennifer out for praise.

Time will tell, but it's sounding as though the film may have fallen foul of the editing process. Then again, with Magnolia assuming the distribution duties it's possible that they'll return to an earlier (more coherent) cut...
~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 09-17-2014, 10:22 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPF1138 (View Post)
But then the distributor who rejected the movie was hardly going to offer praise.

This 'descent into madness' thing is odd, being as that isn't what happens with Serena in either the book or the script that I read. She doesn't go mad, she reveals a calculated coldness, and a callousness which makes her extremely dangerous.

It's also worth pointing out that others who have seen the movie, have been quick to single Jennifer out for praise.

Time will tell, but it's sounding as though the film may have fallen foul of the editing process. Then again, with Magnolia assuming the distribution duties it's possible that they'll return to an earlier (more coherent) cut...
Oh the others have seen the film already?
Old 09-17-2014, 11:21 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyknights (View Post)
Oh the others have seen the film already?
I wish I could give you links, but they were random tweets and other such things here and there. They fall under the category of rumour though, I suppose. Nothing substantial.

I remember Steven Soderbergh saying he'd seen it months ago.

What I read in the THR piece more than anything else, was that the movie was re-edited multiple times to try to suit the US buyers. From what I'd heard, it was the pacing they were unhappy with. Too slow. I remember David Poland tweeted something to that effect.

It sounds as though re-edits made the movie uneven, and incoherent.

It's looking like the finished flick is just mediocre. I doubt it has anything to do with Jennifer, and I expect she'll be allotted some measure of praise by critics, and the film will disappear like House at the End of the Street did. Swallowed up by Mockingjay Part I.

Shame. It had potential...
~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 09-17-2014, 11:24 AM
Master Fan

JUST UPSET

Magnolia To Release 'Serena' With Jennifer Lawrence & Bra | The Playlist

09/11/01=NEVER FORGET RIP PAUL WALKER- CORY AND NAYA
Elodie"Aujourd'hui il va pleuvoir,mais demain le soleil brillera..."
Old 09-17-2014, 11:34 AM
Master Fan

Eh, it's disappointing, but I would stress that the words of on distributor shouldn't be taken as gospel.

It was clear there had to be some issue when no US distributor wanted it, but try to remember that these guys think in financial terms. They're concerned with whether they can sell the movie, and turn a profit. At the end of the day, they didn't think that Serena could do that for them. The very slow pace of the film would be enough for them to make that determination.

Again, it would seem the film is sadly mediocre, but I have trouble believing that Jennifer is in anyway problematic.
~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 09-17-2014, 03:13 PM
Master Fan

What Really Happened to Serena, Starring Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence

Quote:
Why the long delays on Serena? Magnolia Pictures' Eamonn Bowles and director Susanne Bier give TOH! the exclusive dope on why the period romance starring Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper will premiere stateside in February on VOD and hit theaters this March.

Back in 2012, before Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence co-starred in David O. Russell's Oscar-winning The Silver Linings Playbook and its follow-up American Hustle" the duo shot period drama Serena, which was once going to star Angelina Jolie with director Darren Aronofsky.

Oscar-winning Danish auteur Susanne Bier (A Better World) took the helm for producers Mark Cuban and Todd Wagner's 2929 Productions, and has been delayed trying to finish it. Based on Ron Rash's 2008 novel, the film is set in 1929 North Carolina and follows George and Serena Pemberton, ambitious newlyweds with their hearts set on a timber empire. They become obsessed with success, and their lives take a Shakespearean turn when Serena finds that she can't get pregnant and tries to harm her husband's illegitimate son.

Why the delays? "Once it finished shooting we've all been busy," Bier told me in Toronto, which invited Serena, but the stars weren't available. "I've been doing another film [TIFF world premiere Second Chance]. Cooper and Lawrence were super-busy, just doing the [post-production sound recording] has been tricky. She had only one day off in two years!"

"There were some different cuts that took a lot of time," says Magnolia Pictures president Eamonn Bowles. Seller CAA screened the movie for several studio buyers and several made offers but none were substantial enough to make it worthwhile for 2929 not to release the film itself. "There was some play with the studios, but it didn't get to the place where it needed to get." Thus 2929 sister company Magnolia Pictures will release the film in early 2015. Details below.

Bowles says he saw "a couple of different versions of the movie" (which one unidentified buyer told THR "made no sense"). What was the difference? "Frankly I don't know what cut they saw," says Bowles. "It was a question of emphasis. It's not a radically different cut. Susanne tweaked it and it got better. The one they have now is the best one. It's a beautiful-looking period piece, a fantastic-looking production. It's completely relatable and understandable and a really good film. It's a serious drama, a big-scale romance, and a bit of a tragic Lady MacBeth story."

Canal Plus, which is handling Europe, booked the film for an October 13 world premiere at the London Film Festival in advance of its European release. That's when we'll see reviews. And Magnolia is waiting until 2015 to open stateside because of the availability of the stars. Cooper is starring on Broadway in The Elephant Man until the middle of February, and has to promote Clint Eastwood's Christmas release American Sniper as well, while Lawrence is stuck with Hunger Games chores.

So Magnolia will open the movie stateside February 26 on VOD--counting on Lawrence and Cooper to drive viewer desire to see the movie at a high purchase point-- followed by an "aggressive" theatrical release in 20-25 major markets on March 27. "Our projections on it are good," says Bowles. "If people go in thinking it's a bad film they will be pleasantly surprised. It's a good film. I stand by it. Susanne Bier did a good job directorially on this film."

Now, obviously Bowles has a horse in the race, but I can't imagine that with all the talent involved this movie could be truly bad. Maybe it's a little flat, or less than it could be. Or maybe it's better than we're being told.

We'll have a better idea in about a month...
~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Last edited by TPF1138; 09-17-2014 at 03:23 PM
Old 09-17-2014, 04:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPF1138 (View Post)
We all die in the end.

☆ The Swan-Jones ☆
♥S&K♥♥R&Hr♥♥P&K♥♥J&B♥♥C&C♥♥E&K♥

Old 09-17-2014, 04:56 PM
Master Fan

~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 09-17-2014, 05:40 PM
Extreme Fan

About this fuss around whether the movie is good or not blah blah blah etc etc ...
That's why I never read the reviews about movies I wanna see before seeing them, I prefer to make an opinion by myself without any critics pollution to spoil the viewing.
Best female characters : Lorelai(Gilmore girls),Claire(Outlander),Scarlett(Gone with the Wind),Kahlan(Legend of the seeker),Miss Parker(The Pretender),Katniss(The Hunger games),Bones(Bones),Bree (DH),Root (POI),Spencer(PLL),...
Closed Thread   Post New Thread