Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2015, 05:09 PM
Passionate Fan

Joy screening tonight! So exciting!

Thanks for Virginia's post.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:12 PM
Passionate Fan

New Joy TV spot:

I didn't realize that Ken Howard (current SAG-ATRA prez) was in Joy. See at 0:38.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:29 PM
Passionate Fan

Last edited by mlkj13; 11-28-2015 at 08:25 PM
Old 11-28-2015, 10:53 PM
Passionate Fan

Periscope of the Joy Q&A after the screening:
https://www.periscope.tv/w/1eaJbkppXNexX

Spoiler:

Interestingly, their comments about the film's tone bear out both the serious nature seen in the trailers and the entry at the Golden Globes as a comedy. The characters are serious but sometimes their realistic situations can be funny as well.

There's also a decent write-up of the Q&A at Variety: Jennifer Lawrence Says ‘Joy’ Is Salute to ‘Women Who Are Unsung Heroes’

Also: Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper Unveil ‘Joy’ to Oscar Buzz

Quote:
Post-screening tweets about the film were largely positive, with most but not all of the pundits in attendance predicting that “Joy” will be a factor in the Oscar race for Best Picture, and everyone acknowledging Lawrence as a near-lock for a Best Actress nomination.

“‘Joy’ doesn’t quite sing dazzling arias or ascend to stratospheric heights but it’s real and direct and very touching and nicely inventive,” wrote Jeff Wells of Hollywood Elsewhere on Twitter, while Sasha Stone from Awards Daily wrote that she loved the film and added, “Please Hollywood keep making movies around women like this. They are so worth it.”
Lawrence laughed about the scene in which she and Ramirez sing a duet of the Frank and Nancy Sinatra hit “Something Stupid,” which Russell pushed her to do despite the fact that she hates to sing and never does it in public. Asked why he did that, she laughed.

“He’s a dick,” she said. “But David’s so unafraid … he’ll just sing throughout the day on the set, and he’s so open that my fear seemed silly.”

Of the resulting scene, she admitted to Russell, “It was a sweet moment. I fought you over it, but I’m glad we did it."

Last edited by sunworshipper; 11-29-2015 at 12:19 AM
Old 11-29-2015, 02:42 AM
Master Fan

Nice work, sun. I'm laughing because I've been all over the web diggin' this stuff up myself, and if I'd come here first I'd have saved myself a lot of effort.

Anyway, there seems to be a lot of positivity, and even perhaps an engagement with the material that I hadn't necessarily expected. There's a screening for critics during the week, though the embargo doesn't lift until the 14th, so we'll not get a full picture until then, but Jennifer seems a lock for a nomination, and possibly a strong contender thereafter. That'll do me.
Or the man who's half a boy.
~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 11-29-2015, 03:22 AM
Elite Fan

Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper attending JOY Screening in New York

Jennifer Lawrence & Bradley Cooper Support ‘Joy’ at NYC Screening | Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Robert De Niro : Just Jared
Old 11-29-2015, 10:45 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Jennifer Lawrence

Thanks for all the Jen goodness. Glad that people are enjoying it. and we're starting to get into the thick of things. 4thOscar Nom here we come.

Also she looked lovely as always.

I've also finished 15 full length original scripts. here is a blog for them.
http://kipsscripts.blogspot.com/
Old 11-29-2015, 05:07 PM
Passionate Fan

Old 11-29-2015, 05:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

oh nice!!!

☆ The Swan-Jones ☆
♥S&K♥♥R&Hr♥♥P&K♥♥J&B♥♥C&C♥♥E&K♥

Old 11-29-2015, 08:31 PM
Passionate Fan

I've seen the Joy commercial so many times since yesterday, on all different stations. Even during the Houston Texans game today too.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:04 AM
Master Fan

Good to know they're pushing it hard.

It looks like Jennifer will be getting that nomination. All that matters now is whether she'll be a real contender, and whether the movie will do box office enough to confirm her draw.
~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 11-30-2015, 04:54 AM
Loyal Fan

Joy Screening Schedule :

Nov 30 : PGA (NY)
Nov 30 : PGA (LA) + Q&A
Nov 30 : WGA (LA) + Q&A with David O. Russell following the 7:30 screening
Dec 1 : BAFTA/LA
Dec 2 : Press Screenings
Dec 3 : Academy Screening (Nicasio, California)
Dec 3 : Academy Screening (San Francisco)
Dec 5 : Academy Screening (LA)
Dec 14 : A TimesTalks Conversation With David O. Russell And Jennifer Lawrence (NY)
Dec 14 : Academy Screening (NY)
Dec 15 : BAFTA/Scotland (Glasgow)
Dec 19 : BAFTA David Lean Lecture (London) : David O Russell
Old 11-30-2015, 02:28 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Today was a difficult day, like many of the days in the last 9 months of my life. The stress I've endured in the last few days have taken its toll. Earlier, I remembered I had a screening to attend for a film. Honestly, I had decided I wasn't going to go as I had already an emotionally internally taxing day and wasn't sure I could sit and watch other people on screen doing something I have been working my tail off to do professionally for many years with very little return thus far. It's exhausting and heart wrenching, sort of like the current state of my life. Yet, I found the strength and mustered up the last few dollars in my bank account to put gas in my car to attend this screening way on the other side of town. I decided, well..."I AM an actor, I live for this, the screening is free and I pay dues." Why not!?

I stood on line for 55 mins to get on to the Fox Studio lot to see this film. I said to myself, "this damn film better be good!" I made it into the Zanuck theatre just in the brink of time. Tonight I was inspired and saw myself on screen. Not actually me, myself. I saw a version of myself in character. The film "Joy" @joythemovie was a story about never giving up on yourself despite the turmoil, trials, setbacks, tribulations and challenges that this unfair life throws in our direction. I was moved. I don't think I cried, but internally I did. Thank you David O. Russell for directing an amazing piece about fighting for yourself and your truth. Bravo to Jennifer Lawrence, Elizabeth Rohm, Edgar Ramirez, Virginia Madsen, Isabella Rossellini, Dascha Polanco, Bradley Cooper, Diane Ladd, and Robert De Niro for bringing real people I've experienced in my life to life on screen. I'm thankful I get to share a craft with you all that lives in truth and emotion.

David said "bring your heavy artillery but be ready to play [in the audition room and on set]". I'll never forget that. Thx for screenings @sagaftrafound @sagaftra.

My name is Tanda and I AM an actor. - SAG member
I edited out a handful of hashtags and twitter handles, just for the sake of clarity, but you can follow the link for the raw post.
~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 11-30-2015, 05:51 PM
Passionate Fan

Lovely comments by all. Seems like the majority have been positive. Looking very good for Jen so far...here's hoping for the nominations.

Great billboard in NYC! I'm heading there for Christmas, maybe I can see it in person.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:53 PM
Passionate Fan

So basically, it is a weak boring mess.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread