Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2016, 01:02 AM
Passionate Fan

So looking forward to this movie and press tour!

Old 04-13-2016, 01:53 AM
Master Fan

Tyldum's still cosplaying as General Madine from Return of the Jedi, I see.

It really seems to have gotten cinemacon attendees buzzing.

PASSENGERS FOOTAGE DELIVERS CHRIS PRATT AND JENNIFER LAWRENCE GREATNESS AT CINEMACON

Quote:
Having a great cast doesn’t always lead to a great movie, but there certainly is a tremendous pleasure that comes from seeing two of the industry’s most charismatic performers work both with and against each other on the big screen. Two perfect examples are Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence, and if our first look at their recent collaboration, Passengers, is any indication, the film truly should be dynamite.

Sony Pictures took over the stage at the Colosseum in Caesar’s Palace on Tuesday night for their presentation at CinemaCon – the annual convention held in Las Vegas for theater owners – and while the studio showed off a diverse slate of movies set to come out in the next year, none left a bigger impact than Passengers, which comes to us from director Morten Tyldum (the Oscar-nominated filmmaker behind The Imitation Game). The sci-fi film somehow manages to look both bold and ambitious while also tremendously intimate, and it’s now firmly on our radar as we look forward to the rest of 2016.

The footage began with shots of a giant ship flying through space – the text on the bottom of the screen telling us that this is the Starship Avalon, and is currently making a 120 year journey to Homestead 2 with 5,258 passengers on-board and in hyper-sleep. That last number suddenly decreases to 5,257, however, when James Preston (Chris Pratt) wakes up after his pod malfunctions and opens. In his tiny living space he gets dressed and groomed, and prepares to meet the other people on the ship and start his new life on Homestead 2. Unfortunately, he comes to the realization that everyone else is asleep and that he has woken up 90 years too early.

With nobody else around, James tries to keep himself entertained, but struggles with not only being alone, but also having limited access to the ship’s functionality because of the low class of his ticket (there’s a great sequence where he runs through a series of options on a coffee machine and is repeatedly denied, ultimately having to settle for just a large regular coffee with no milk or sugar). He discovers a "friend" in the form of an android (Michael Sheen) working behind the ship’s bar, and keeps himself entertained by tinkering with machines – he’s a mechanic – but it’s very clear that he’s leading an empty life.

Of course, that all changes in an instant when he discovers Aurora (Jennifer Lawrence), another passenger whose pod has malfunctioned and wakes up too early – specifically a year and three weeks after James. At first they try to work together to try and find a way to get themselves back into hyper-sleep, but when that proves to be impossible, they instead commit themselves to living the best life possible – eventually starting a romantic relationship.

Things don’t stay happy for long, however, as the pod malfunctions start to be only the beginning of the Starship Avalon’s issues. For example, there is an absolutely terrifying sequence where the gravity is shut off… which wouldn’t be a huge issue if it weren’t for the fact that it happens while Aurora is swimming in a pool. After diving deep down, she tries to resurface for air, but finds herself still completely trapped in the water – and floating in midair. It turns out that the ship is on the verge of a serious crisis, and if James and Aurora don’t do anything about it, it could wind up costing the lives of more than 5,000 people.

Given that Passengers won’t be out until December 21st, and that that a lot of the visual effects were far from done, it will probably be a little while before Sony releases any footage from the movie – but I’m telling you now that you need to start getting excited for this one (if you weren’t already).

Yeah, it might be fun...
Or the man who's half a boy.
~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Last edited by TPF1138; 04-13-2016 at 06:35 AM
Old 04-13-2016, 11:30 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Music
Alias

wait, wait, wait... Sausage Party?

but anyway, yay for new pictures is the script being out there a new thing or not? I forget.
and I will never be captive, or hostage, or confined.
- icon - k-pop - Dave
Old 04-13-2016, 12:09 PM
Master Fan

Script's been around for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Cry (View Post)
wait, wait, wait... Sausage Party?
~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Last edited by TPF1138; 04-13-2016 at 12:56 PM
Old 04-13-2016, 04:43 PM
Fan Forum Star

oh this is gonna be a good one

☆ The Swan-Jones ☆
♥S&K♥♥R&Hr♥♥P&K♥♥J&B♥♥C&C♥♥E&K♥

Old 04-13-2016, 04:52 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Jennifer Lawrence

Love all these pics and reactions. Now bring on some footage already!

I've also finished 15 full length original scripts. here is a blog for them.
http://kipsscripts.blogspot.com/
Old 04-14-2016, 06:14 AM
Master Fan

Still revelling in Cinemacon reactions. Nothing really new here, just enjoy the positivity...

CINEMACON 2016: SONY PRESENTATION WITH SPIDER-MAN, PASSENGERS, AND MORE!

Quote:
PASSENGERS

I didn't expect it, but PASSENGERS ended up being the most impressive film put on display for Sony's presentation. Although some of the effects weren't complete, the concept, style, and tone of the film were outstanding, capitalizing on the setting and the two greatest assets it has on deck: Stars Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence. Putting two beautiful, fit, and talented individuals on a spaceship traveling to another colonized planet on a 120 year trip all alone together has a lot of potential and it looks like they're not wasting a shred of what they have to work with here.

JLaw stars as an elite NYC journalist who is taking the trip in order to write about the experience, while Pratt's character is a down-on-his-luck mechanic looking for a new start. Trouble arises when Pratt's character awakens early from statis during the 120 year trip and spends a year by himself before Jennifer Lawrence's character also awakens early. They're 90 years from their destination and, faced with living out the rest of their lives on the ship, the two make the most of it, eventually falling in love. However, the ship soon finds itself in trouble and it's up to them to save everyone onboard, including themselves.

The chemistry between Pratt and Lawrence is electric and it's not surprising given that they are both big personalities in real life. Beyond that, the look of the film is sleek as hell with some truly cool and inventive sequences, including one where gravity is reversed on the ship, happening while JLaw is swimming in a pool. She's trapped in a bubble of water as a result and must fight to get out of it without the benefits of gravity to save her. Digging what I saw a lot and I think this will be a destination movie for the holiday season both for younger and older crowds. PASSENGERS opens on December 21st, 2016.
~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 04-14-2016, 02:22 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Music
Alias

Quote:
Script's been around for a while.
Ah right, I wasn't sure. I never read them.
- icon - k-pop - Dave
Old 04-14-2016, 03:09 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Cry (View Post)
I never read them.
It's very good, and descriptions of the Cinemacon footage suggest that they haven't deviated significantly in the rewrites.7

~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 04-14-2016, 09:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

this promo tour is gonna be great!!! these two are fun to watch

☆ The Swan-Jones ☆

Old 04-16-2016, 03:34 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Jennifer Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by HutchLaw_Girl (View Post)
this promo tour is gonna be great!!! these two are fun to watch
That it will be.

And yep. Seems they haven't changed much. Which I feel is a very good thing.

I can't wait to see the scene with her in the Pool and the anti-Gravity.

I've also finished 15 full length original scripts. here is a blog for them.
http://kipsscripts.blogspot.com/
Old 04-17-2016, 03:07 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Music
Alias

Kip's priorities.
- icon - k-pop - Dave
Old 04-18-2016, 09:49 AM
Master Fan

~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 04-18-2016, 04:17 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Music
Alias

that looks really cool.
- icon - k-pop - Dave
Old 04-18-2016, 07:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

it looks really cool

☆ The Swan-Jones ☆

Closed Thread   Post New Thread