Old 08-06-2014, 02:02 AM
Moderator Manager

A Year in the Life of Downton Abbey

Written by Jessica Fellowes
Foreword by Julian Fellowes

Available:
UK September 25, 2014
US October 28, 2014

A Year in the Life of Downton Abbey (Hardcover)

It's 1924 and there have been many changes in the world of Downton Abbey since we were first welcomed by the family and their servants twelve years ago. A generation of men has been tragically lost at the front, there are once again children breathing new life into the great house, a chauffeur now sits at the Grantham dinner table and hems are up by several inches.

Yet despite all of this unsettling upheaval, it is a comfort to find that many things at Downton remain largely unchanged. There are still parties to be thrown, summer fetes to be organized, menus to be planned and farms to be run. Join us, then, as we explore the seasonal events and celebrations of the great estate—Christmas, Easter, the debutante season, the hunt and more—and peer with us through the prism of the house as we learn more about the lives of our favorite characters, the actors who play them, and those who create the world we love so much.

Packed full of exclusive new photography and brimming with traditional British recipes for each calendar month, such as Eton mess and sloe gin, this beautiful book takes us on a fascinating journey through a year in the life of Downton Abbey.
Hardcover, 320 pages.

Source

Links
Amazon UK
Amazon US

This thread will be spoiler-free until Sept. 25, 2014

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:22 AM
Extreme Fan

I love it when we get a new Downton book just about every year since it started, really spoiled aren't we, cheers for the info Lindsay.
That looks like a lovely cover, but the one shown on Amazon not so keen on, hope they go with this one.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:51 AM
Moderator Manager

You're welcome!

Yeah, in Amazon it was different but I got that cover here so I hope it's going to be the cover for the actual book and not just for promo material.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:46 PM
Communications Team Manager
Graphics Team

Moderator of ...
Communications Team

That looks interesting! Thanks for the info Linds

JOIN our Communications Team.
| ray
Old 08-09-2014, 09:50 AM
Moderator Manager

I'm waiting in anticipation if we get a lot of S5 pics/bits.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:43 PM
Moderator Manager

Jessica Fellowes promoted this book on ITV today, here is a vid from the ITV site:

The lives, loves and scandals of Downton Abbey | Showbiz News & Gossip | Lorraine

And here's the UK cover of the book (the one in the OP is the US version):

Old 09-18-2014, 10:45 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
Jessica Fellowes promoted this book on ITV today, here is a vid from the ITV site:

The lives, loves and scandals of Downton Abbey | Showbiz News & Gossip | Lorraine

And here's the UK cover of the book (the one in the OP is the US version):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxplucUCEAE5UBe.jpg
Enjoyed watching it again hun, actually, to be honest, I much prefer the US cover, hope that image is inside the book at least, looking forward to it.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:44 AM
Moderator Manager

Yeah I prefer the U.S. cover too than the UK one. The UK one just got it off the official promo still released for the show and the US one is like a BTS shot, very nicely done.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:53 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
Yeah I prefer the U.S. cover too than the UK one. The UK one just got it off the official promo still released for the show and the US one is like a BTS shot, very nicely done.
Yes, the US cover has a little more style about it, and they went for something more original than the promo shot, but I'm sure the contents will be gorgeous inside.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:18 PM
Moderator Manager

I haven't checked Tumblr yet but I'm sure there are already scans.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Part-Time Fan

These books are absolutely gorgeous! I purchased one on a whim, (think I needed a DA fix), and enjoyed it so much ordered the other two. I've read the introductions to each, and tried to read as the pages went on (and on), but I guess my old brain suffered information overload and I started skimming and looking at the wardrobe pics.
After getting one, some of the amazon reviews said repetitive! don't buy! blah blah...so I said phooey to that and ordered the other two. I didn't think there was much, if any, repetition. If you're a true DA fan, these books are a must-have.

I recently went to a book sale and found "Lady Almina and the Real DA' by Countess Carrarvon...haven't read it yet.

Also have the dvd about Highclere Castle, watched it once and don't remember a thing about it. LOL

I guess someone needs to start a DA anonymous group. Hello, my name is Aggiemom and I have a DA addiction........lol
Old 11-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiemom09121416 (View Post)
These books are absolutely gorgeous! I purchased one on a whim, (think I needed a DA fix), and enjoyed it so much ordered the other two. I've read the introductions to each, and tried to read as the pages went on (and on), but I guess my old brain suffered information overload and I started skimming and looking at the wardrobe pics.
After getting one, some of the amazon reviews said repetitive! don't buy! blah blah...so I said phooey to that and ordered the other two. I didn't think there was much, if any, repetition. If you're a true DA fan, these books are a must-have.

I recently went to a book sale and found "Lady Almina and the Real DA' by Countess Carrarvon...haven't read it yet.

Also have the dvd about Highclere Castle, watched it once and don't remember a thing about it. LOL

I guess someone needs to start a DA anonymous group. Hello, my name is Aggiemom and I have a DA addiction........lol
They're definitely worth buying if you're a DA addict, and for all the glorious pictures, there's nothing repetitive about those, I love reading about the fashions too, in fact a whole book just on the costumes would be fabulous.

ha, we'll start a group together Aggie.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:29 PM
Moderator Manager

Thanks for those links carrie.suze! I have opened threads for each of those 4 books so we can discuss (they're all in the Board Guide thread).

I think we have the Chronicles here, my friend sent me a pic of it via Facebook but I just haven't gotten around to buying it.

Aside from the fashion/wardrobe, for this book in particular, are there some stories about what Series 5 was going to be as well as some history of UK that year?

When you get around to reading "Lady Almina and the Real DA', aggie, let us know what you think of it.