Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-21-2014, 02:47 PM
Loyal Fan

I also didn't get really where HER feelings came from all the sudden?

Because if you love somebody, do you treat him the way she treated Tom all the time? She had REALLY odd way of showing him her "love". When they were alone she mocked him, his family and his life choices. She never treated him with respect and disregarded his wishes. When they were in company, she went and insulted his family at every possible occasion, even after he asked her not to do so.

Very odd way to love someone.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:23 PM
Part-Time Fan

Yeah. I also thought it a bit clueless on her part thinking that Tom might have wished to have met her before he met Sybil, what did she expect him to say? Did she seriously think he might have been in agreement with her? If she did, then that proves she is indeed a bit dim.

Tom would never change his time with Sybil and having Sybbie with her for anything.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:14 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffball7 (View Post)

Tom would never change his time with Sybil and having Sybbie with her for anything.

Yes, I was a bit disappointed that he didn't say anything to that (and I would like to know if there's a line in the script). He would never trade the time with Sybil for meeting Bunting earlier? Ridiculous!

But he just looked a bit embarrassed and let it go like the "love" confession. He made it clear enough though that he was on another page than she was, so he didn't need to say anything more.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:17 PM
Moderator Manager

I like that goodbye scene. I had to cringe a bit with that kiss because it was more for Sarah than for Tom, I think. He was nothing but nice to her and yet she can't even keep her mouth shut for one night and respect the Crawleys even if she doesn't agree with them most of the time. Daisy will be fine, there are other teachers out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie.suze (View Post)
Loved reading that, thanks Lindsay. I like Matthew Goode as well, he'd fit right in at Downton, I'm thinking another suitor for Mary, or even Rose, he'd beat all the others hands down for me, ha, just wishful thinking.
Same for me.

Witness the magical sprouting of the Purple Acorns
As hopes turn into reality

Old 10-22-2014, 01:44 AM
Loyal Fan

BTW, it is great to see the Tom-thread liven up again!

It feels like we were all just waiting for the Bunting storyline to be finally over and now that it is, we're back and hopeful for his future.

Speaking of his future: I'm at a loss what will happen with Tom now in the remaining episodes.

I think the "America threat" will last till the Christmas Special. I don't think Tom will leave in the end, because Allen has been so vocal about wanting to stay with the show for series 6. And I also think that JF will want to keep the remaining main cast for the 6th series because it looks as it will be its last.

So what will influence his final decision?

I think Sybbie might play a role in it. Maybe her future education? Maybe she gets some prospects through the Crawleys (money?).

I hope there will also be a new love interest. We've waited so long now to see Tom in love again, it would be so sad if he ended yet another series alone. I don't think he will get a real romantic storyline, but maybe at least he will meet someone and we will know she could be the one.

My dream scenario: Tom goes to Mass with Sybbie on Christmas eve and meets a lovely young lady there
Old 10-22-2014, 02:50 PM
Part-Time Fan

I think Sybbie will play a very big role in what Tom decides to do, and I think it will be this series we see it, possibly not until the CS though.

What I would like, is for someone to be on Tom's radar by the end of the series, I don't mean a romance that starts properly, but just someone, like you said, who we'll know is going to be the one, even if Tom doesn't really register they are on his radar. I just want the signs to be there, I suppose similar to how Sybil was attracted to Tom in series 1 but didn't really recognise it at first, if that makes sense?

You're right, Sarah Bunting was like a boil we were all waiting to be lanced.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:32 PM
Moderator Manager

I think by the time that Tom will go to America, the show should be over. I can see that ending for Tom & Sybbie (in the long run).

As for a love life, I'm all for him meeting another girl but I hope not to fall in-love right away. These things take time.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:00 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffball7 (View Post)
I think Sybbie will play a very big role in what Tom decides to do, and I think it will be this series we see it, possibly not until the CS though.

What I would like, is for someone to be on Tom's radar by the end of the series, I don't mean a romance that starts properly, but just someone, like you said, who we'll know is going to be the one, even if Tom doesn't really register they are on his radar. I just want the signs to be there, I suppose similar to how Sybil was attracted to Tom in series 1 but didn't really recognise it at first, if that makes sense?

You're right, Sarah Bunting was like a boil we were all waiting to be lanced.
Ha, that's a good way to put it, Funny how none of us could find anything likeable about her, it's as if we're wanting the perfect girl for Tom, and nothing else will do.

Finding another Sybil could be impossible, I suppose there's always a chance it could be just him and Sybbie at the end.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:56 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie.suze (View Post)
Ha, that's a good way to put it, Funny how none of us could find anything likeable about her, it's as if we're wanting the perfect girl for Tom, and nothing else will do.

Finding another Sybil could be impossible, I suppose there's always a chance it could be just him and Sybbie at the end.
I don't want the "perfect" girl. No one is perfect and Sybil wasn't perfect either.

But I want at least someone likeable and where I find it believable that Tom would fall in love with her.

It's simply completely out of my mind that Tom would fall for someone so rude, prejudiced and harsh as Sarah Bunting, when he had a wife, who was incredibly nice and friendly and treated everyone with respect no matter where he came from.

People fall in love with other people for a reason. And it is NOT because they share the same politics. It's an addition to an attraction, but mainly people are attracted to each other on a physical level and because the personalities are compatible.

I couldn't see any of that between Tom and Sarah Bunting, except the shared political ideals and that was clearly not enough.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:59 AM
Extreme Fan

I didn't mean perfect literally, I just meant perfect for Tom, like Sybil was. and Bunting was far from that category, there was nothing remotely likeable about her.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:03 PM
Moderator Manager

Sarah did help out Daisy, at least that part I like. She's tolerable at times but mostly she was portrayed to be irritating and getting on Robert's nerves. Not so sad to see her go.

I do wonder why JF portrayed that character to be that way. Was it because he was purposely setting up someone else for Tom? Yes she reminded him of his revolutionary ways but other than that, I don't think there is enough layers to the character to root for.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:31 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
Sarah did help out Daisy, at least that part I like. She's tolerable at times but mostly she was portrayed to be irritating and getting on Robert's nerves. Not so sad to see her go.

I do wonder why JF portrayed that character to be that way. Was it because he was purposely setting up someone else for Tom? Yes she reminded him of his revolutionary ways but other than that, I don't think there is enough layers to the character to root for.
Yes, I'd forgotten about her helping Daisy, she'll miss her even if no one else will.

Maybe if JF had softened her up a little, and not made her so argumentative with the family, she could have been a little more likable, but as you say he probably wasn't intending to make her a permanent fixture in Tom's life, which we're all glad of.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:46 AM
Moderator Manager

I have a feeling that JF purposely wrote her that way so that we'd be irritated and that there should be someone else for Tom. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:58 AM
Extreme Fan

There has to be someone else for him and I'm beyond annoyed that it has taken them so long to introduce her when we've been going in circles with Mary's Merry Men for over a full season now. And she was just widowed! Eight episodes of Bunting and now there's barely more than that many left for his real romance? WTH?

Now we have Rose and Atticus taking up screen time next episode, which is fine but come on, it's a bit too soon to be invested in that. And Merton and Isobel, and more of Mary's Men.....and Edith being miserable and Tom alone, as always, after more than four years.

I don't know about you but I need to meet her by the end of this season or the CS at the latest or I'm throwing in the towel. If they haven't brought her in by then I wonder if they ever plan to, under the ridiculous theory that he has "no real options" if he stays there. And yes, it is a ridiculous notion. He'd have plenty of options.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:58 PM
New Fan

I don't know why you keep thinking the Tom character is as important in the grand scheme of things as Mary is. He just isn't. His love interest or none, may or may not happen. It doesn't matter to Fellowes.