Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-18-2014, 02:27 PM
Loyal Fan

OMG I watched "In Fear"!

Allen blew me away in it. Seriously, he's amazing and certainly NO Tom Branson!

Here's quick clip from BTS. Al is singing (but beware the lyrics )
I’m not able to upload everything, but here’s the... - Tom Branson land agent
Old 03-18-2014, 02:38 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren60 (View Post)
Very true. The show is so jam-packed with characters and story there's little time to give a full backstory to them all. The information trickles in as needed.

Tom was very sweet to dance with these ladies. No offense to them truly but I hope next season Tom dances with someone he has romantic feelings for or at least with an eligible woman closer to his own age.

X
A part of me (not so) secretly wants Tom and Isobel to get together in the show. Maybe, like Jimmy, Tom has a soft spot for cougars.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

#TeamPerseus
Old 03-18-2014, 04:38 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andorra (View Post)
OMG I watched "In Fear"!

You said on your Tumblr Andorra that you wanted some help with the subject matter that AL was singing about! I'm not sure how to explain it politely and not break a whole load of fanforum rules! Whilst I know far more dodgy songs than this, it's certainly not one to be sung in front of small children! LOL.
It's basically about bestiality involving hamsters and gerbils (the mind boggles LOL!) and incest, I liked the line, "that's why the whole town turns around when you call the family name".

I apologise if anyone's offended, but you have to hand it to AL, he's got a decent singing voice!
Old 03-18-2014, 07:12 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffball7 (View Post)
You said on your Tumblr Andorra that you wanted some help with the subject matter that AL was singing about! I'm not sure how to explain it politely and not break a whole load of fanforum rules! Whilst I know far more dodgy songs than this, it's certainly not one to be sung in front of small children! LOL.
It's basically about bestiality involving hamsters and gerbils (the mind boggles LOL!) and incest, I liked the line, "that's why the whole town turns around when you call the family name".

I apologise if anyone's offended, but you have to hand it to AL, he's got a decent singing voice!
I wish we could hear him and EMG sing on the show. They both sing. So far all we've heard is that S2 concert with Mary and Matthew. Michelle sings but I don't think Dan does?

It would be nice to hear the other multi-talented cast members. I wonder if Lily sings too? I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:20 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andorra (View Post)
OMG I watched "In Fear"!

Thanks for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshBench (View Post)
I wish we could hear him and EMG sing on the show. They both sing. So far all we've heard is that S2 concert with Mary and Matthew. Michelle sings but I don't think Dan does?

It would be nice to hear the other multi-talented cast members. I wonder if Lily sings too? I wouldn't be surprised.
Dan does (thus the theater background). I reckon most of them sing and most British actors can sing which is cool in my book.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:11 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
Thanks for this.

Dan does (thus the theater background). I reckon most of them sing and most British actors can sing which is cool in my book.
True, maybe Dan can sing.

I had heard the ones who sing are Michelle, EMG, Allen and maybe Hugh?

But Hugh and Dan both went to Cambridge I think and people who went to those schools are more likely to have some vocal training. Especially the theater people.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:29 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshBench (View Post)
True, maybe Dan can sing.

I had heard the ones who sing are Michelle, EMG, Allen and maybe Hugh?

But Hugh and Dan both went to Cambridge I think and people who went to those schools are more likely to have some vocal training. Especially the theater people.
EMG said quite a lot of people on the cast can sing well. She said they should do their own "Downton Choir" .

She mentioned Allen and Michelle especially and said that Allen "serenaded" her
Old 03-19-2014, 03:44 PM
Part-Time Fan

It's not unusual for British actors to be proficient singers as well, theatre/stage school gives them training in singing as well as drama acting, so they're usually good all rounders.

Sophie McShera has been in West End musicals in the past I believe, as well as Michelle Dockery and Julian Ovenden is a brilliant singer, he's done BBC Proms in the past, I remember watching it that evening and being impressed, I recommend googling it and watching it on youtube, he really is very good.

They should do Downton Abbey the Musical!
Old 03-19-2014, 04:25 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
It's not unusual for British actors to be proficient singers as well, theatre/stage school gives them training in singing as well as drama acting, so they're usually good all rounders.

Sophie McShera has been in West End musicals in the past I believe, as well as Michelle Dockery and Julian Ovenden is a brilliant singer, he's done BBC Proms in the past, I remember watching it that evening and being impressed, I recommend googling it and watching it on youtube, he really is very good.

They should do Downton Abbey the Musical!
Oh yes, Ovenden is a wonderful classical singer. Highly trained and polished. His father was the Choirmaster to the Queen or something like that.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:20 AM
Moderator Manager

Ditto on Sophie who also does theater. Penelope, Hugh, Brendan, Joanne (just to name a few) does some theater as well. I can say perhaps 80% of the cast can sing.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:49 AM
Fan Forum Star

They cast a new little girl for Sybbie. While I'll miss Ava, this new girl, named Fifi, looks a tad older and probably means they'll give her lines because she'll be more mature to handle them. Getting close to school age. I fully expect them to discuss her education, assuming they didn't have nursery school back then. And with Sarah as the local school teacher it seems obvious they will. Can't wait, because there's no way Tom would have her privately tutored like the Crawley family were.

Laura and Allen on a video encouraging fans to enter a contest to win a chance to visit the set.

Last edited by baileycat; 03-24-2014 at 04:01 AM
Old 03-24-2014, 04:24 AM
Moderator Manager

Downton Abeey star Allen Leech launches sudden death charity run / Sunday World

Old 03-24-2014, 04:28 PM
Part-Time Fan

Just out of interest, because it comes up as a topic of conversation sometimes where Sybbie is concerned, the 1870 Education Act made the school starting age in Britain 5 years old and this was still the case in the 1920s.

Sybbie was born the summer of 1920, so presumably will start school in 1925.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks! So Sybbie will start school next year then. Fifi is 4 now and will be right on track to play her as a new school girl next year.

Everyone okay with me starting a new thread? Since its time for one.

Hope so because here it is.

Tried to make sure it wasn't spoilery.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:35 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Just out of interest, because it comes up as a topic of conversation sometimes where Sybbie is concerned, the 1870 Education Act made the school starting age in Britain 5 years old and this was still the case in the 1920s.

Sybbie was born the summer of 1920, so presumably will start school in 1925.
S5 starts in 1924 (Spring I think) and ends in 1925. So Sybbie will be turning 4 during S5 and presumably turn 5 near the end of it, if it goes to June or so 1925. Which means she would probably start school at the very end of S5 or in the CS.

That is assuming she goes to the public school. The small-town and rural schools were really not great at the time. They learned by rote and didn't have great facilities. The teacher/child ratio was high. Teaching was not individualized and subjects were not as extensive.

Private tutors would be able to get her better prepared for a more rigorous middle/grammar school that would then prepare her for university. And I know Tom would want her to go to university and be as well-prepared as possible.

So I am not convinced she would go to public school. Whatever is best for her long-term educational prospects is what he'll do.