Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2012, 03:24 AM
Master Fan

Can you put the bit of new/spoilers into SP tags like this

HTML Code:
[sp]The news in your post.[/sp]
or delete it. No spoilers are allowed on the TV boards. Thanks!

- Captain Frederick Wentworth, Persuasion, Chapter 23
Scarlet|tumblr|Twitter|FF.net
Old 06-14-2012, 04:30 AM
Part-Time Fan

Done! I didn't see it as a spoiler lol!
Old 06-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Master Fan

Thanks! I actually heard the same news but didn't post it. There's a DA spoiler thread here on the spoiler forum. You can post DA spoilers there. I'm always checking the thread.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletCourt (View Post)
Had anyone seen Charlie Cox in Boardwalk Empire? I've heard he's good.
I haven't. I think the last I saw of him before D.A. was Stardust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthea82 (View Post)
I'm in a very small minority, but still firm on it, that both Lavinia and Richard, although meant to be secondary characters, were well characterized not just merely passing by. Yes, some things about them might have been rushed, but the whole S2 was rushed, and we have to leave how some things happened to our imagination.

I loved Evelyn Napier, he was a decent man! I hoped to see him coming to Downton as an injured soldier but infortunately it didn't happen.
I also loved Ethel and Lang: stories like theirs happened a lot during the war and I'm glad, even if it was a glimpse, that they were mentioned.
I do like Lavinia. She's a sweet girl and is nothing but kind to everyone. Sir Richard I didn't like. I don't really feel that he's that much of an obtacle to M/M as was Lavinia but I love that Fellowes took that time to introduce them and have M/M be apart for a time. And Iain is so amazing in Game of Thrones, I don't even know how he had time to shoot s2 of D.A. and shoot s2 of GoT.

I don't like Ethel, Jane...I'm 50/50, I like Lang and Evelyn. Although Ethel was a welcome addition because I don't want all the maids to be super nice plus O'Brien had someone challenging her now. But overall, Ethel's storyline was unnecessary but I'm thinking we see another good & noble side of Mrs. Hughes because of it.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Moderator Manager

Zoe Boyle at a polo match in London

At Cartier Polo, the Queen, Kenneth Branagh, and Downton Abbey’s Lavinia Walk into a Bar … | Blogs | Vanity Fair

Old 06-20-2012, 11:31 PM
New Fan

I think it's a shame that Sir Richard ended up the way he did in the Christmas Special. He was pleasant enough in his first episode, and I have to admit I liked the way he dealt with Vera in 2.05, but after the scene in 2.06 where he warned Mary not to trifle with him, it was only going to go one way.

I never felt that he and Lavinia were credible thorns to the M/M relationship. As usual, it was Matthew and Mary themselves who were the biggest obstacle to their own happiness.

I think my favourite recurring character remains Evelyn. He's just another good egg. It's a shame we didn't see him in S2. I was hoping we would when Mary mentioned him.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:51 PM
Master Fan

I agree that Sir Richard had potential. It is a shame that he had to threaten Mary like that in 2x06.

I think Lavinia could have been credible if we could have seen scenes between her and Matthew alone before he sent her packing in 2x05. If you watch closely, the scene where he dumps her after finding out about his lack of ability to sire children is the first scene between them alone. After all, he had loved her enough to propose to her. Before that, Violet, Rosamund and Mary all had scenes with Lavinia alone.

Loved Evelyn Napier. His only flaw was that he brought Kamel Pamuk to Downton. Hopefully, he gets invited to M/M's wedding.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Rocket (View Post)
II think my favourite recurring character remains Evelyn. He's just another good egg. It's a shame we didn't see him in S2. I was hoping we would when Mary mentioned him.
I'm hoping that won't be the last we'll see of him.

Quote:
I think Lavinia could have been credible if we could have seen scenes between her and Matthew alone before he sent her packing in 2x05. If you watch closely, the scene where he dumps her after finding out about his lack of ability to sire children is the first scene between them alone. After all, he had loved her enough to propose to her. Before that, Violet, Rosamund and Mary all had scenes with Lavinia alone.
I think the whole Matthew/Lavinia relationship was sweet but it wasn't written enough to make me worried about Matthew/Mary. I'd have to say the same thing for Sir Richard & Mary. I agree with what Hazel said, M/M's obstacles were their own happiness.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:10 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Loved Evelyn Napier. His only flaw was that he brought Kamel Pamuk to Downton. Hopefully, he gets invited to M/M's wedding.
Yes. I actually found the Mary/Kemal scenes uncomfortable, certainly the scene in Mary's room. I don't know if Julian Fellowes intended the scene to be as ambiguous as it seems to have been. It certainly caused a lot of debate. Some found it appealing or romantic. I definitely didn't.

It had nothing to do with my preference for M/M either, as I admit to not really cheering for them early in S1. It wasn't until the end of 1.07 and then throughout S2 that I wanted Matthew and Mary together.

But I'm afraid I never liked Kemal. He was too predatory for my taste.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Master Fan

I wasn't comfortable with the Mary/Kemal scenes either. I'm definitely not a diehard M/M fan. lol. I'm not sure how some can find it appealing or even romantic. BTW, when you said it generated a lot of debate, were you on TWoP? They have a ban on Mary/Kemal discussions because it was done to death!

Old 06-23-2012, 01:39 AM
New Fan

Yes, I was over at TwoP for a while, though I mostly just read rather than posted. But the reaction there to the Mary/Pamuk scene suggests it was problematic for quite a few others as well.

Not posting over there at the moment, though, as it became a bit too anti Sybil/Tom, and especially anti Tom.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:35 AM
Part-Time Fan

I found the Mary/Pamuk scene uncomfortable too, because I thought it was made in an ambiguous way.

Zoe Boyle has a lovely smile, but what the heck is she wearing?
Old 06-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Master Fan

Purple Rocket: Me and another poster here on the S/T thread post on TWoP to fight to anti-Tom and anti-S/T comments there. I'm ScarletAngel on TWoP.

Anthea82: I think Zoe is wearing a shorts/jacket outfit with a blouse and nylons. Very interesting combination.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthea82 (View Post)
I found the Mary/Pamuk scene uncomfortable too, because I thought it was made in an ambiguous way.
Same here.

Quote:
Zoe Boyle has a lovely smile, but what the heck is she wearing?
I know but I think she can pull it off better than most perhaps?

Old 06-24-2012, 02:21 AM
Part-Time Fan

Ehm I meant that I didn't like it, not really fit for that sort of event.

Last edited by Anthea82; 06-24-2012 at 12:25 PM