Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 06:44 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by confessor_meggy (View Post)
They really have to stick together, otherwise I'm afraid their wives won't loose a battle with them
Agreed!
Old 09-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Master Fan

Welcome to the board and to OhMyShipperHeart!

I'd like to think that they'd bounce ideas off of one another.

Shi: I agree that they seem to have similar outlooks in life.

meggy: Yes, indeed! Because their wives have spent a lifetime together.

Lindsay: I like the idea of Matthew running to Tom when he and Mary fight.

I had 3x01 on in the background while I was folding a mountain of laundry and the part where Tom wants to move to (I presume) the Grantham Arms and Matthew stops him. I was sort of surprised that Matthew didn't ask what Sybil thought of this plan? You would think that Sybil would have had a say in her husband moving to the local inn and we know S/T would talk to one another about something that drastic. I would suspect that Sybil would have objected.

- Captain Frederick Wentworth, Persuasion, Chapter 23
Scarlet|tumblr|Twitter|FF.net
Old 09-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Extreme Fan

I'm just commenting on the whole Catholic/Anglican Church thing. I have been to the UK but have never studied Englsh churches closely. But I will say I grew up Episcopalian, which is the US version of CofE (Anglican), and in turn the version of Protestantism that is closest to Catholicism in terms of ceremony, ornament, etc. Our churches were ornate, often Gothic, and not that different from Catholic churches I have been in. My sister was married in a Catholic church in NYC and it was very similar to my childhood church.

But like I said, I haven't studied English churches.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Moderator Manager

Welcome to the thread, OhMyShipperHeart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletCourt (View Post)
I had 3x01 on in the background while I was folding a mountain of laundry and the part where Tom wants to move to (I presume) the Grantham Arms and Matthew stops him. I was sort of surprised that Matthew didn't ask what Sybil thought of this plan? You would think that Sybil would have had a say in her husband moving to the local inn and we know S/T would talk to one another about something that drastic. I would suspect that Sybil would have objected.
I think Tom didn't ask permission because he knows Sybil won't allow it. And I think Matthew knows this.

I've also wondered about how Matthew's mind was working prior to his announcement of Tom being the best man? Was this always what he wanted and he saw that time as the perfect opportunity to announce it?

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:32 AM
Loyal Fan

Maybe Tom didn't intend to book a room or anything like that yet, but simply wanted to inquire about free rooms/prices just in case? Judging by the first dinner, he might have wanted to have some emergency plan, but there was no need to worry Sybil with it at that moment.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:07 AM
Dedicated Fan

Tom must have been pretty desperate to consider moving out of Downton Abbey, because that would have been a huge statement to the neighbours. I don't think he would have done that to Sybil if he weren't completely desperate. Poor baby
Old 09-20-2012, 05:15 AM
Fan Forum Star

Add me to the list of supporters. They're my BROTP!
Old 09-20-2012, 06:28 AM
Master Fan

Welcome baileycat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patano (View Post)
Maybe Tom didn't intend to book a room or anything like that yet, but simply wanted to inquire about free rooms/prices just in case? Judging by the first dinner, he might have wanted to have some emergency plan, but there was no need to worry Sybil with it at that moment.
I thought the same, he couldn't just move there without Sybil knowing and she would never allow him to go there (at least not alone. And then he would have felt guilty for taking her away from Downton so he would have given up)

RoseBennett
Old 09-20-2012, 07:24 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipmaus (View Post)
Tom must have been pretty desperate to consider moving out of Downton Abbey, because that would have been a huge statement to the neighbours. I don't think he would have done that to Sybil if he weren't completely desperate. Poor baby
I think that the prospect of another dinner from hell must have stressed Tom too much ICA about BIB

Maybe Tom just wanted to be informed of the prices for the room.

I think that Matthew looked very worried when he saw Tom even walking anywhere near the inn, because now that he finally found someone of similar age and married to one of the Crawley girls, he would have not want to risk losing a possible ally. While Robert is nice to Matthew, it would be uncomfortable talking to the father of his wife if he wants to unwind a bit and complain a bit or even just ask to some partial advice.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Part-Time Fan

OhMyShipperHeart - welcome to the thread and the forums!

baileycat - added!

I got the impression too that Tom was just checking what his options were before talking to the Mrs.
"I don't know. It's a mystery."
Old 09-20-2012, 02:01 PM
New Fan

Can I be added too? I love their friendship!!
Old 09-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Loyal Fan

That key moment when the BROMANCE is made public

Source
Old 09-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyShipperHeart (View Post)
Can I be added too? I love their friendship!!
You've been added!

So many great gifs were posted... I'll update the OP at some point.

I found the fact they were drawn to each other quite quickly despite not having really been i touch throughout all their years together at Downton. We've seen very little actual contact between them. I think we know Tom always respected Matthew but we didn't know much about what Matthew (really) thought of Tom. Maybe some of it is showing now.
"I don't know. It's a mystery."
Old 09-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Love the gifs. Such a great moment!
Old 09-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijou156 (View Post)
That key moment when the BROMANCE is made public
HAHA! I agree! Isobel approves though.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.