Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Master Fan

http://ruthgilmartin.tumblr.com/

OMG they are actually smiling and laughing, something bad must be coming then .
Rupert hardly speaks. You're lucky to get anything out of him these days, he just has a wicked sense of humor and he's very eccentric and very unique in the way that he does things. He's like a big kid. I feel like he'll never grow up, which I love.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:07 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy87 (View Post)
I'm surprised that hasn't played into the story yet. Maybe Carlisle is waiting to use it at a time when it will have the most impact.
And he's capable of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlgreenie (View Post)
Hmm I found their scenes interesting tonight. Seems like Matthew wants to have children as soon as possible.
It's typical Matthew to want to have kids now. I wonder if Mary really has hay fever or she went to the doctor for another reason? Whatever it is, I'm glad we're getting the baby storyline now and obviously it's unresolved so we'll see more of this soon. What if they can't have a baby? I'd really like this storyline (if written well hopefully) given that Dan+Michelle are masters at playing our OTP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrinha (View Post)
OMG they are actually smiling and laughing, something bad must be coming then .

So what do you all think of this baby storyline? Matthew wants to start a family and it's clear that Mary isn't ready and wants to tackle it in the future. We see a very surprised and somewhat pained look on Matthew when she said this. Do you all think they'd have problems with getting pregnant or it might be something else? And I've said this before, I don't want to talk about babies yet but if we're doing this already...I'm not yet emotionally prepared.

Credit

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Absolute Fan

The managing of downtown and the baby issue will for sure be the next conflicts for Matthew/Mary.

The last episode was really Mary/Matthew light. But to be honest I loved being able to watch them just being them, particularly with Carson. I loved seeing them laugh together. I forget sometimes that these two truly enjoy each other. It is the little moments they have together that make me really love them.

I also loved how secure Matthew was when Mary suggested hiring the pretty footman, he didn't even flinch.

Also was I the only one wondering if Matthew is getting into managing the estate what on earth is Mary doing. What is her role, surely more than decorating I hope.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
We see a very surprised and somewhat pained look on Matthew when she said this.
It seems that it's going to be 98% of pained/sad/angry looking puppy Matthew during S3 and only 2% of happy Matthew .

I would love a storyline that would involve babymaking but not so soon after the mess that was the letter issue, i'm tired of always seeing Matthew look like this:

Enough! Give the guy some room to breathe jesus, and besides ever since these two got married they don't seem to discuss either the past or the future so it makes me wonder exactly what do they discuss in private . Is this what JF thinks M&M marriage is all about, that they either have sex or are at each other's throats??? Seriously i'm sure that even in 1920 people discussed future plans.

If i want massive angst i go read fanfics , i never expected M&M to have a smooth sailing for sure but all i can see lately is grumpy Matthew and i hate it.
Rupert hardly speaks. You're lucky to get anything out of him these days, he just has a wicked sense of humor and he's very eccentric and very unique in the way that he does things. He's like a big kid. I feel like he'll never grow up, which I love.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:

If i want massive angst i go read fanfics , i never expected M&M to have a smooth sailing for sure but all i can see lately is grumpy Matthew and i hate it.
The thing is Matthew is in a life arguably he never wanted or ever expected. Of course it is going to take for him to adjust. I really do think he would rather live in a small house. Even though he has been around the downton world for a long time now, it is only just now since being married that is he living in it day to day. Before he could retreat and find sanctuary at home with his mother, but he doesn't have that option anymore. He is all in.

If you think about it Matthew has actually compromised himself a lot. He probably isn't going to be a lawyer anymore, he is going to have public duties. Mary will have the life she always wanted and expected, so of course she is much more at ease with everything. I think Matthew isn't grumpy just at unease with everything and he is trying to find his place.

But would I like to see them having a little more fun, YES!
Old 10-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly2790 (View Post)
The thing is Matthew is in a life arguably he never wanted or ever expected. Of course it is going to take for him to adjust. I really do think he would rather live in a small house. Even though he has been around the downton world for a long time now, it is only just now since being married that is he living in it day to day. Before he could retreat and find sanctuary at home with his mother, but he doesn't have that option anymore. He is all in.

If you think about it Matthew has actually compromised himself a lot. He probably isn't going to be a lawyer anymore, he is going to have public duties. Mary will have the life she always wanted and expected, so of course she is much more at ease with everything. I think Matthew isn't grumpy just at unease with everything and he is trying to find his place.

But would I like to see them having a little more fun, YES!
I understand what you are saying and i don't expect things to be easy but i guess i'm just tired of seeing all the same facial expressions by Dan/Matthew all the time. I know he needs adjustment but it's been 8 years now, time to get real i say and either accept FULLY or let it go FULLY.

The moments when we could have seen a happy M&M, weren't shot (honemoon anyone?) and yet we are given in every episode fuel for the angst. The balance isn't right IMO.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Moderator Manager

Dan was at The New Yorker Festival over the weekend and I found this on my timeline. I squeed a little...

Quote:
@deflippers Fact: Dan Stevens and Michelle Dockery sometimes listen to 'Mary and Matthew's Theme' to get in the mood scenes. #tnyfest #downtonabbey
I've also been re-watching that baby talk over & over. OMG Matthew...love how he was longingly looking at Mary and Mary's like "uh, soon dear". UGH. Also any thread title suggestions?

Quote:
The managing of downtown and the baby issue will for sure be the next conflicts for Matthew/Mary.
We're already halfway through the season so are we getting this baby storyline for 5 episodes?

Quote:
The last episode was really Mary/Matthew light. But to be honest I loved being able to watch them just being them, particularly with Carson. I loved seeing them laugh together. I forget sometimes that these two truly enjoy each other. It is the little moments they have together that make me really love them.
I love seeing them laugh as well...S1 laugh over dinner has been aaaages ago. And I agree, the little ones however fleeting are the most amazing for these two.

Quote:
Also was I the only one wondering if Matthew is getting into managing the estate what on earth is Mary doing. What is her role, surely more than decorating I hope.
I think Matthew will consult Mary in some decisions over the house if she isn't too stubborn about it. One thing's certain with these two is they don't keep secrets from each other.

Quote:
It seems that it's going to be 98% of pained/sad/angry looking puppy Matthew during S3 and only 2% of happy Matthew .
But Matthew is a cute puppy...

Quote:
I would love a storyline that would involve babymaking but not so soon after the mess that was the letter issue, i'm tired of always seeing Matthew look like this:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb...lo8_r1_250.gif
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb...jy8co1_500.gif

Enough! Give the guy some room to breathe jesus, and besides ever since these two got married they don't seem to discuss either the past or the future so it makes me wonder exactly what do they discuss in private . Is this what JF thinks M&M marriage is all about, that they either have sex or are at each other's throats??? Seriously i'm sure that even in 1920 people discussed future plans.
I think Matthew looked cute at that second gif. If anything, he makes the best puppy looks compared to Mary. There's always some weight on their shoulders and we haven't really seen very happy M/M since episode 1. But hopefully we get to see more of those laughing moments soon. This baby issue will surely be another angst-filled SL for these two. I'm interested in how this will pan out. And a part of me doesn't believe Mary went to see Dr. Clarkson for her hay fever, maybe it's something else.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:05 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:

Totally agree with everything. This is a good summation of their problems. I actually like that they have realistic character driven obstacles like this instead of melodramatic problems that make no sense like I've seen on other shows.

Even thought they're married, he's still Matthew and she's still Mary and as much as they love each other they expect very different things from life. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Matthew wants to change things around Downton and how every, especially Carson and Mary, respond to that.

As for the baby disagreement, I don't really understand that. I get that she might not want to have kids right away, not everyone does. But if they're sleeping together then I don't see how she's going to stop it from happening. It's not as if they have birth control.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:01 AM
Moderator Manager

My two cents on the baby thing would be:

1. She's not pregnant because they're not actively trying and is relieved (I think we're all assuming they're having sex all the time but what if they're not?)
2. She's wondering why she's not pregnant because they're both actively trying.

Maybe Mary wants to spend more time as husband & wife and having a baby will change that surely. We know Matthew wants to have a baby since it's a blow to him when he first found out he cannot have babies in S2. I'm a bit anxious on how this SL will pan out. But of course hopefully down the line we see a very pregnant Mary soon.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Moderator Manager

So Tumblr was a happy place yesterday, more wedding pics.

Credit

Credit

Old 10-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Elite Fan

Almost new thread! Title ideas ?

I love the wedding pics so much, MAAAAAAAAARY She looks gorgeous

About the baby scene, I saw something on Mary's face, what if she can't have children or something like that?

Eugenia | tumblr ♔| twitter

Last edited by EndlessღLove; 10-11-2012 at 09:18 AM
Old 10-12-2012, 12:58 AM
New Fan

Hello. If someone would be so kind as to please add me to the list. I'm afraid I'll need the support of this thread as I begin my way through series 2. Because if the dying whale noise I made when Mary gave Matthew the toy as a good luck charm isn't proof enough than I don't know what is.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:11 AM
Moderator Manager

Thanks for posting more wedding pics! I had a field day when those came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessღLove (View Post)
Almost new thread! Title ideas ?
How about that scene by the door in 3x01? "I'll never be happy with anyone else as long as you walk the earth."

Quote:
About the baby scene, I saw something on Mary's face, what if she can't have children or something like that?
I won't be surprised if this is the case - these two are not going to have a "happy" marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am no golden lion (View Post)
Hello. If someone would be so kind as to please add me to the list. I'm afraid I'll need the support of this thread as I begin my way through series 2. Because if the dying whale noise I made when Mary gave Matthew the toy as a good luck charm isn't proof enough than I don't know what is.
Sure and welcome to the thread! OMG that train scene - SO.MUCH.ANGST but they clearly still love each other. LOVE THAT MOMENT. You're probably getting spoiled here as we're already talking about S3.

Last edited by L i N d $ @ y; 10-12-2012 at 04:02 AM
Old 10-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Master Fan

I like that as a title

Those wedding pics are beautiful
Old 10-12-2012, 07:11 PM
Moderator Manager

New thread