Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2014, 11:07 PM
Moderator Manager

These scenes break my heart now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robber's Daughter (View Post)
This first kiss of theirs is probably my most favourite. Mainly because I liked Matthew there so much. I liked how he stood his ground, liked his dignity, but also his passion and his "Don't play with me" and "Should I remind you..." were very manly and very sexy at the same time. I literally fell in love with this moment which carried so much meaning. Some of Fellowes' best writing, IMO. I re-watched it ten times probably.
I started shipping them during the whole Perseus thingy at the dinner table so by the time this happened, I was already flailing hard. Yes, that's a wedding album they did, it's on one of the Downton Abbey books published prior to S3. Since we didn't get a wedding reception on the show, I guess that'll do.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:22 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Ugh, I watched the season 3 finale yesterday & sobbed as if I'd lost a family member! It was SO SAD to see them so very happy and in love and then BAM! Damn you, Dan Stevens, for leaving the show!!!! But I was SO pleased to see them so very happy & in love throughout that season. Every interaction of theirs I got chills, I could've stood for at least one more season's worth of that.

Quote:
Oh, I'm very happy, Talula, that you need someone to talk to and share the same feeling because I do as well! I re-watched many episodes during the summer and re-discovered so much in their couple and... well, couldn't move on. I'm stuck in the past. But their story made so much sense and not least, reminded me of Mr. Darcy and Elisabeth whom I love dearly, so... my hopeless inner romantic wanted more and more.
Thanks very much, you're so kind. And I'm happy to know there are others out there who were as equally moved by them as I am! I totally agree with you, as I said before, my inner romantic wanted SO much more from them! Yes! Their romance is akin to an Austen one, and as a former Austen addict in my schooling years, I wholeheartedly agree! Classic in its progression & development and their UST in season 2 was off the charts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
I think I have moved on. But talk to me back when I first saw the S3 CS and I'd be on the verge of snapping at every little thing. I hate how it ended for these two. We were supposed to get our happy ever after. Matthew was the heir for crying out loud. At least we have George and he is the heir upon Robert's death. The thing is he won't be too old to inherit at least so Mary will be his guardian for now. But still... I could still be fangirl-ing over these two as hard as I did 4 years ago if Matthew was still alive. I think I will have to do some re-watching of S1-S3 just to relive their moments once again no matter how few we got. Maybe if the show ended in S3 we'd have gotten a happier ending?

This is it actually why I felt the death was unjustifiable. How many people died in car accidents that time? Not a lot. But like you, I can't think of any other way for the character to go but be dead. His death did assure us that there was no going back, that he won't be able to survive this. And he died alone which makes it all the more sad.
Aw, Lindsay, he died alone but I think the important thing is he died happier than he'd ever been in his entire life. Thank GOD they didn't have them argue right before he met his tragic end! So, that's what I choose to take away from that.

Quote:
This first kiss of theirs is probably my most favourite. Mainly because I liked Matthew there so much. I liked how he stood his ground, liked his dignity, but also his passion and his "Don't play with me" and "Should I remind you..." were very manly and very sexy at the same time. I literally fell in love with this moment which carried so much meaning. Some of Fellowes' best writing, IMO. I re-watched it ten times probably.
Beautifully put. Fellowes does so much with so little dialogue, I really do admire his impeccable writing talents.

Like Lindsay, I fell in love with them during the dinner scene with the Perseus discussion. Classic banter with Mr. Crawley matching Lady Mary's barb with equal zest. You know they're perfect for each other at that moment because they're on the same level in terms of their minds. Gah! I'm anxious now to re-watch season 1 to relive all of those wonderful moments between them!

Thanks so much for posting the wedding pic outtakes! Michelle looked absolutely STUNNING!!!
Old 09-11-2014, 02:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

these photos are so beautiful

Old 09-11-2014, 02:22 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula78 (View Post)
Ugh, I watched the season 3 finale yesterday & sobbed as if I'd lost a family member! It was SO SAD to see them so very happy and in love and then BAM! Damn you, Dan Stevens, for leaving the show!!!! But I was SO pleased to see them so very happy & in love throughout that season. Every interaction of theirs I got chills, I could've stood for at least one more season's worth of that.
A bit of trivia for you, that ep aired Christmas time in the UK. I saw it a day after Christmas and I was royally pissed. This board was my safety net as I found more people were angry and everyone here helped me cope. I came into this show expecting that at least this couple will go on forever but Dan's exit was such a sting for me. The producers wanted the show to continue but Dan only signed on to do 3 seasons. Ultimately, $$$ wins.

Quote:
Aw, Lindsay, he died alone but I think the important thing is he died happier than he'd ever been in his entire life. Thank GOD they didn't have them argue right before he met his tragic end! So, that's what I choose to take away from that.
Yes the positive side is at least Matthew died a happy man. And that the last image he'll every see/remember is Mary & George.

Quote:
Like Lindsay, I fell in love with them during the dinner scene with the Perseus discussion. Classic banter with Mr. Crawley matching Lady Mary's barb with equal zest. You know they're perfect for each other at that moment because they're on the same level in terms of their minds. Gah! I'm anxious now to re-watch season 1 to relive all of those wonderful moments between them!
I've been meaning to do this too one of these days. I have to admit I was angry for some time when the S3 CS aired. Tumblr was the worst. People were saying Matthew dying was "okay". What is okay about dying/death?

Old 09-11-2014, 05:25 AM
New Fan

Talula, I'm forever an addict to pride and Prejudice and each Christmas I re-watch the BBC with Colin Firth with some Bailey's and chocolates. It's a tradition of mine to which I willingly succumb. Now, I added the first three seasons of Downton Abbey to it except the dying part which a friend of mine cut out as I said before.

I am one of those who don't blame Dan, though. It is my very humble opinion but the writing for his character was not equally good as the show progressed, so I understand why an actor with a fine taste and looking for challenges would not agree with it. there were some kind of ridiculous lines written there. And in season 3 Matthew was almost only agreeing with Mary regardless how rude she was. This was not Fellowes at his best, IMO. Fellowes himself admitted it was difficult to write happiness and apparently he struggled with it. Overall, the show was intended to be three seasons and that's why all the actors were signed for three seasons. As the new heir was born, the initial story line was completed and that would be the natural end of it. If money talks indeed, then it was the money the producers wanted to milk out of it for as long as it provided high ratings, IMO. Which is why it will drag for years even at the expense of good writing if necessary. Just my thoughts.

I wondered about what Dan said in the interview that it was "always the contract" but since he has never contributed to that, I dn't know what it was exactly. However, we know from other actors that a few of them were unhappy with Fellowes being authoritarian and never allowing actors to contribute to their characters and from Dan himself that he never knew what was going to happen to his character two episodes down the road and that he couldn't really develop this character as he didn't know the whole story. All this makes it understandable to me why he left.

I DO miss the character and this beautiful love story but I also missed the good writing from one point on, so I don't know if I would be willing to watch more of Matthew's "yes, darling, I love you so much darling, you're right darling" and Mary's sharpness. Somehow she seemed to have lost her softness once she got married except in bed. IMHO, of course.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:43 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Bridgerton
Heartstopper

Old 09-11-2014, 10:50 PM
Moderator Manager

Love the vid, thanks Juliana!

Quote:
I wondered about what Dan said in the interview that it was "always the contract" but since he has never contributed to that, I dn't know what it was exactly. However, we know from other actors that a few of them were unhappy with Fellowes being authoritarian and never allowing actors to contribute to their characters and from Dan himself that he never knew what was going to happen to his character two episodes down the road and that he couldn't really develop this character as he didn't know the whole story. All this makes it understandable to me why he left.
I think that the show was really supposed to be 3 seasons only since Jessica left the same year Dan did too. And we all know how that ended for her character as well. As for Dan not knowing what would happen to his character, I think most actors/actresses only know as much as they can, some only when they get the script. We really don't know the whole story of why Dan left but I think the bottom line is he wanted more, he wanted to try Hollywood too. If he continues to do Downton, he'd be doing this for god knows how long and he just wanted to try other avenues.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:02 AM
New Fan

Lindsay, in a feature movie actors have the whole script so they can develop their character's arch fully, they can "become" this character. In many TV shows they get the script for the whole season. In Downton Abbey they got two episodes at most, often only one episode ahead script. naturally, one can't really develop a character not knowing how this character is acting and reacting to the events ahead and not knowing the events at all. This is what we know from interviews anyway.

Anyway, it's past already. I do miss Matthew badly but I don't miss the "yes, mary, no, Mary" writing. If that was going to be their life together, then thank you but no, thank you from me.

What a beautiful video, AlwaysCB! Thank you for posting it!
Old 09-13-2014, 06:09 AM
Moderator Manager

I will forever miss the time when they keep calling each other "My darling." And it would have been a whole lot better seeing Matthew playing with baby George in S4...

Old 09-23-2014, 09:50 AM
Fan Forum Star

Old 09-24-2014, 02:46 AM
Moderator Manager

Ugh, M/M S1. I fell in-love with these two since that time. I actually didn't want to be obsessed with shipping a couple again but I can't help it when I started watching this show.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:09 AM
New Fan

Oh, these are lovely GIFs, thank you! Eh... I do miss them and I'd love to discuss them more often but I guess most people have moved on. I liked the second scene very much, it started showing another side of Mary, a more vulnerable side which she was willing to show while with matthew. It was the first glimpse for me into her not so hard personality. It revealed to me that she fully realised what is expected from her (to marry well) but she felt a prisoner and longed for more. Matthew was her salvation in many ways.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:09 AM
Communications Team Manager
Graphics Team

Moderator of ...
Communications Team

Those gifs are giving me feels again I really didn't think I'd ship on this show either but those two were too much

JOIN our Communications Team.
| ray
Old 09-28-2014, 01:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Bridgerton
Heartstopper

This video

Old 09-29-2014, 05:10 PM
New Fan

I found this on Twitter: Jessica Brown Findlay, Michelle Dockery, Dan Stevens and Julian Fellowes look back at Downton in the Radio Times iPad and iPhone edition free 16-page supplement looks like Radiotimes is providing Apple IPhone/IPad owners with this content free of charge but I'm neither there nor an owner of an Apple product, so... no luck here.