Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Part-Time Fan

Well finally. I've been waiting impatiently to hear her perspective on leaving DA. Turns out it was well worth waiting for.

Dan Stevens, please take note. you have been thoroughly PR schooled by a 23-yr-old. Says nothing and then says every right thing in an honest and believable way.

JBF is either the world's most grounded and mature sought-after 23 yr old actress or else she has a real life publicity scriptwriter that gives her much better material than Fellows ever thought about giving Sybil.

Interesting to learn she did a NY accent in Lullabye. I wondered about that and am anxious to see how it turned out.

I also notice she still has Beverly Penn's hair. Either some reshoots are going on or she just liked it.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillips32 (View Post)
Well finally. I've been waiting impatiently to hear her perspective on leaving DA. Turns out it was well worth waiting for.

Dan Stevens, please take note. you have been thoroughly PR schooled by a 23-yr-old. Says nothing and then says every right thing in an honest and believable way.

JBF is either the world's most grounded and mature sought-after 23 yr old actress or else she has a real life publicity scriptwriter that gives her much better material than Fellows ever thought about giving Sybil.

Interesting to learn she did a NY accent in Lullabye. I wondered about that and am anxious to see how it turned out.

I also notice she still has Beverly Penn's hair. Either some reshoots are going on or she just liked it.
She wanted to branch out and do more stuff before she got too complacent and comfortable which she seemed she was in. She made no mention of Fellowes writing or if she thought her character wasn't utilized enough. That was all fan made opinions. From her perspective it seems pretty clear she was happy but given the chance to renew her contract like all the others for 2 more years she decided to follow her gut and explore other options. She seems very practical and yet brave to challenge herself this way. I totally respect that. You gotta go for the hard choices if you want to better yourself, in any career you choose.

I hope Lullabye gets a distributor. I want to see Jess on the big screen even if its just my tiny cinema that only gets indie films that no one ever hears about.

Last edited by baileycat; 03-24-2013 at 05:48 PM
Old 03-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileycat (View Post)
She wanted to branch out and do more stuff before she got to complacent and comfortable which she seemed she was in. She made no mention of Fellowes writing or if she thought her character wasn't utilized enough. That was all fan made opinions. From her perspective it seems pretty clear she was happy but given the chance to renew her contract like all the others for 2 more years she decided to follow her gut and explore other options. She seems very practical and yet brave to challenge herself this way. I totally respect that. You gotta go for the hard choices if you want to better yourself, in any career you choose.

I hope Lullabye gets a distributor. I want to see Jess on the big screen even if its just my tiny cinema that only gets indie films that no one ever hears about.
No, she's way too classy, and grateful. to say anything like that, unlike some other exiting characters we could name. But clearly, she, as well as we, realized Sybil was played out inasmuch as JF was ever going to write her. JBF was constrained by Sybil's corset both literally and figuratively. Not only was she not going to get to run and get muddy, she wasn't even going to get one fleeting nursing scene in Ireland. When JBF says she had learned all she could learn playing Sybil I think that's b/c she knew Sybil was never going to develop anymore as a character. That's certainly JF's complete privilege as the creator of the character. He gets to choose where to place his focus.

Again, and not to beat a dead horse, that's 100% JF's creative call. But its our privilege to point out that given the interest in her for major projects, and given her obvious potential and versatility, he may have blown that call.

I think Lullabye will make the art house screens at least. It has a fairly big name cast. JBF is supposed to be shooting Driven right now, another top shelf indie with Damian Lewis and directed by David Leon. But for some reason, that appears to be on hold for now.

I'm interested to see where she turns up next.

Last edited by phillips32; 03-24-2013 at 02:56 PM
Old 03-24-2013, 02:58 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillips32 (View Post)
No, she's way too classy, and grateful. to say anything like that, unlike some other exiting characters we could name. But clearly, she, as well as we, realized Sybil was played out inasmuch as JF was ever going to write her. JBF was constrained by Sybil's corset both literally and figuratively. Not only was she not going to get to run and get muddy, she wasn't even going to get one fleeting nursing scene in Ireland. That's certainly JF's complete privilege as the creator of the character. He gets to choose where to place his focus.

Again, and not to beat a dead horse, that's 100% JF's creative call. But its our privilege to point out that given the interest in her for major projects, and given her obvious potential and versatility, he may have blown that call.

I think Lullabye will make the art house screens at least. It has a fairly big name cast. JBF is supposed to be shooting Driven right now, another top shelf indie with Damian Lewis and directed by David Leon. But for some reason, that appears to be on hold for now.

I'm interested to see where she turns up next.
Lullaby does have big names, especially Amy Adams. She would not bother with a film that wasn't worth her time, so it must have something to recommend it. And if nothing else it will allow Jessica to show versatility. Even if a lot of viewers don't see it, casting agents etc. who are interested in her will be able to see the footage. That sort of thing happens behind the scenes all the time.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:00 PM
Moderator Manager

Thanks for that lovely article.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:16 PM
New Fan

Hello to all. My first post, because I find Jessica remarkable in every way. Watching Albatross and Downton back to back, it’s almost impossible to believe it’s the same actress. Except there’s no mistaking those lips.

And btw, her comment about regretting the topless scene has gone viral. Every media outlet has picked it up and put their own spin on it.

I say, no regrets JBF. Trust your instincts. You nailed Emilia and you don’t owe anyone an apology.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:30 PM
Moderator Manager

Well said! Welcome to and to the thread, btw!

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:27 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamtray (View Post)
Hello to all. My first post, because I find Jessica remarkable in every way. Watching Albatross and Downton back to back, it’s almost impossible to believe it’s the same actress. Except there’s no mistaking those lips.

And btw, her comment about regretting the topless scene has gone viral. Every media outlet has picked it up and put their own spin on it.

I say, no regrets JBF. Trust your instincts. You nailed Emilia and you don’t owe anyone an apology.
Her comment about going topless going viral is an understatement. It exploded on every entertainment site...the sleazy ones ran with it and the respectable ones as well. The scuzzy Daily Mail really put a spin on it, but I noticed by the end of the day that the article had been pulled from the site. Of course they had a link to the scene. I wonder if her people got it yanked or the Radio Times folks had it taken down. The twitter world exploded with the headline as well. She's probably really ready to open that tea and sandwich shop now! She was trying to make a meaning statement on women and nudity in film, but it turned into her topless shot going viral on the worldwide web. Good luck to anyone who will be able to get another interview out of her anytime soon. It would make me gunshy about interviews.

Last edited by pandora1961; 03-28-2013 at 07:31 AM
Old 03-28-2013, 07:20 AM
Master Fan

She's already been gunshy about interviews. This could turn her into a hermit.

- Captain Frederick Wentworth, Persuasion, Chapter 23
Scarlet|tumblr|Twitter|FF.net
Old 03-28-2013, 08:10 AM
New Fan

I noticed that the Daily Mail online site still has the link to the topless scene but the article definitely has gone bye bye. The headline is still trending today. Things have certainly changed for a girl who doesn't want to be famous, but just be known for her acting by one interview. Right now she is being known has the girl from Downton Abbey who didn't know she could say no to nudity in her first film. Luckily it will blow over in time but I imagine it will make her very wary of the press. I think she has become more private about her life since making the decision to leave the series.

I think she is poised to make it big but only if she wants it. One doesn't have to live in Hollywood to make it "big" these days. She's still young and acting was not her first choice unlike AL and MD who knew from early ages that it was all they wanted to do. Does she want to be a poet, writer, shop owner or actress? I guess she could do it all. I think she needs a mentor in the acting arena. Someone whose been around for a long time. Much the way Emma Thompson was to Kate Winslet. She's a smart girl and I think at the moment she's still figuring it out.

Last edited by pandora1961; 03-28-2013 at 10:18 AM
Old 03-31-2013, 10:39 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora1961 (View Post)
I noticed that the Daily Mail online site still has the link to the topless scene but the article definitely has gone bye bye. The headline is still trending today. Things have certainly changed for a girl who doesn't want to be famous, but just be known for her acting by one interview. Right now she is being known has the girl from Downton Abbey who didn't know she could say no to nudity in her first film. Luckily it will blow over in time but I imagine it will make her very wary of the press. I think she has become more private about her life since making the decision to leave the series.

I think she is poised to make it big but only if she wants it. One doesn't have to live in Hollywood to make it "big" these days. She's still young and acting was not her first choice unlike AL and MD who knew from early ages that it was all they wanted to do. Does she want to be a poet, writer, shop owner or actress? I guess she could do it all. I think she needs a mentor in the acting arena. Someone whose been around for a long time. Much the way Emma Thompson was to Kate Winslet. She's a smart girl and I think at the moment she's still figuring it out.
Yes, a mentor would be great. Maybe Jennifer Connelly, who is in Winters Tale with her.

I do think it will blow over. I am sure it will make her more press-wary, but then she already was. And she seems like a pro at handling the press anyway. She is quite mature for her age.

Honestly, these days appearing semi-nude or topless in a film is just not that big a deal. In fact, Kate Winslet has done it a number of times. So many respectable and esteemed actresses have done it when the role called for it, and no one mocks them about it. The only people who will titter about it are immature, and likely male.

I know Seth McFarlane got a lot of flack about his "I Saw Your Boobs" song at the Oscars, but not really from the actresses themselves. They made the decision to do it and I doubt any of them regret it. TBH, if anything I thought the song underscored that no, showing your chest is no big deal. He was trying to be funny, but I think by making light of it his message was basically "Who Cares?" Having the Gay Mens Chorus of LA finish off the song with him kind of cemented that idea, IMO.

I thought it was funny, but then I am a fan of his. And he is actually an outspoken advocate for gay rights and women's issues IRL.

I hate to say this, but as much as Jessica was probably annoyed and maybe embarrassed by the whole thing, in some ways any publicity is good. It's not like she sought it out or in any way appeared foolish. Just the opposite. I would think her existing fans will be protective of her, while those who don't know much about her will take notice. She is a beautiful woman, she showed her chest in a film (again, so what?), and she handled the whole thing with class. She came out looking good, if you ask me.

Good for her. I just don't want it to dissuade her from the acting thing. She has such potential. i think she will just be very careful about interviews from now on and insist on her personal privacy while filming projects. She is on a steep learning curve when it comes to dealing with publicity. She will have to deal with the Winters Tale premiere in the fall. That should be good practice and maybe get her past some of her trepidation.

I think her agent will also be an advocate and help sooth any distress. Whoever he/she is will explain that these things happen and it will blow over, just hold strong.

Last edited by HarshBench; 03-31-2013 at 11:06 AM
Old 04-01-2013, 12:14 PM
New Fan

Yes, it will pass when the press gets it out of their system. They love to make you pay for your honesty. She’s a smart girl and a quick study I think. So not too worried about it.

I wanted to mention that I watched all three seasons for a second time, and though I understand there are differences of opinion about the manipulative motives of JF, in the end I truly believe that Sybil’s death was one of the most astonishing scenes of television (or film) I’ve ever witnessed. It takes a lot to move this cynic to tears, and all of the performances, as well as the stage direction and – as always – the writing, came together in such a remarkable way. It says something about JBF’s ability to embody and nurture a role that so many tears were shed for her departure, both as a character and as an actress.

The only question now is about the choices she makes. She is so beautiful and versatile – the opportunities will be endless. May she choose wisely.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

AGREED! To all of it.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:06 AM
Elite Fan

Can I be added? Sybil was my favorite Crawley daughter and JBF is such an amazing actress and person.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Master Fan

Welcome to the thread! I will add you once I'm back on my computer?

ETA
You've been added!

- Captain Frederick Wentworth, Persuasion, Chapter 23
Scarlet|tumblr|Twitter|FF.net

Last edited by ScarletCourt; 04-02-2013 at 04:07 PM