Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the updates, everyone.

Hope you enjoy whenever you get to watch it, Lindsay.

What's everyone's favorite attribute of Bates'?
Old 05-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Moderator Manager

Bates is selfless. Even if he knows Thomas is to blame, he still doesn't speak up. And when others feel like he cannot do his job, he proves them wrong. He is also a very obedient valet, a very loving & charming man and he never things wrongly about anyone.

Witness the magical sprouting of the Purple Acorns
As hopes turn into reality

Old 05-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

I completely agree with you, Lindsay! I also like the fact that he's sweet.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Master Fan

He's determined but not pushy. When in 1x01, Robert tells Bates that it's not working out, Bates shows that he desperately wants to keep his job, but he doesn't disagree with Robert at all.

- Captain Frederick Wentworth, Persuasion, Chapter 23
Scarlet|tumblr|Twitter|FF.net
Old 05-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Downton Abbey actor Brendan Coyle has voiced his concern about an “X Factor generation” who fail to accept that they do not have what it takes to be a star.

Coyle, 48, who plays valet Bates in the ITV1 series, said that he dreamt of following in the footsteps of his great uncle Matt Busby, by becoming a footballer.

But the Bafta-nominated actor told the Radio Times: “Luckily I was told by the age of 13 that I wasn’t good enough, and that’s not a bad thing. You see this X Factor generation of kids now who don’t accept that they’re not good enough.”

The star said that he was still baffled by the sex symbol status he had acquired since Downton.

“The strangest thing is where the fan mail comes from. I’ve had letters from an outpost in Alaska, New Zealand…“, he said. “It’s the breadth of it that really blows my mind.”

Coyle told the magazine he would “like to posh up a bit” for future roles.

“I’ve never been cast in a Noel Coward play but I would love to be. After Downton I was offered a lot of moody men – the moody man in the beard, the moody man in the hat, the moody man with a spear….“, he said.
Downton Abbey actor has fears over Generation X Factor - Celebrity News - Showbiz - Evening Standard

Old 05-11-2012, 03:15 AM
Master Fan

Downton Abbey's Brendan Coyle talks Sky1's Starlings - Features | MSN TV UK

ETA
Brendan Coyle 'Starlings' Q&A: 'I felt warmth for these characters'

Essentially the same interview with different pics.

ETA2
Brendan Coyle: Downton Abbey's unlikely sex symbol, interview

Completely different interview than the other two. A very nice one, too.

Last edited by ScarletCourt; 05-12-2012 at 11:58 AM
Old 05-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Moderator Manager

Thanks for posting these great interviews of Brendan!

Quote:
Downton Abbey star Brendan Coyle has admitted that he is not opposed to a film version.

Rumours of a movie based on the hit period drama, in which Coyle plays valet Mr. Bates, have recently circulated.

“If it’s a great, great script, [I'd do it],” said Coyle during a recent press call for his new Sky1 drama Starlings. “You’d have to regard it on its own merit at the time. It’s a good idea. [Julian Fellowes] is a terrific writer, so it would have to be something, I imagine, completely removed from the series.”

Coyle admitted that he has no clue what has led Downton to become a “cultural phenomenon”.

“I don’t know what tipped it over,” he said. “Nobody does. There’s always theories that in times of austerity we look to nostalgia for comfort. There’s all those social theories. There’s [also] something about the open-ended, rolling nature of the story lines. You don’t know what is going to happen, it’s not finite in the same way a classic novel is, so… you get engaged in it in a different way.”

Downton Abbey star Hugh Bonneville (Robert Crawley) has dismissed speculation that a film version is currently in the works.

“Julian Fellowes was at the Golden Globes and was… in conversation with people who work in films,” he explained. “But to deduce from that that there is going to be a movie is a step too far. We’ll have to do series three first and see what happens.”

Coyle will next be seen in Sky1′s Starlings which begins on Sunday (May 13) at 8pm.
'Downton Abbey' star Brendan Coyle: 'A movie is a good idea' - Downton Abbey News - TV - Digital Spy

Old 05-13-2012, 09:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for all the interviews; he's so down to earth.

What's the Starlings about?
Old 05-14-2012, 03:20 AM
Master Fan

Here's a review of Starlings:
Starlings Review: A Real Tweet

It's a comedy.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:56 PM
Moderator Manager

I'm gonna watch Starlings as soon as the summer hiatus starts. Thanks for posting the review!

With his Starlings co-star Lesley Sharp

Old 05-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

Sounds interesting, thanks!

Great picture.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Fan Forum Star

Sounds interesting, thanks!

Great picture.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Moderator Manager

Oh Brendan, when it comes to English football, that's where I draw the line with you.

Brendan Coyle on Starlings, Manchester United and Rachel Khoo | Radio Times

Old 05-17-2012, 05:09 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Downton Abbey has forced Brendan Coyle into heart-throb status, but he’s a reluctant celebrity - TV Review - Northampton Chronicle and Echo
Old 05-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Master Fan

I saw that article, sofiab. Thanks for posting.

Downton Abbey - Mr Bates arrives in New York - and is looking for his own butler - NYPOST.com

All I can say is interesting?