Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2014, 05:53 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim C (View Post)
Sometime soon after the episode last year in which Matthew died, a parody appeared somewhere in which the entire cast of the show dies--each keeling over, in a series like a row of falling domino pieces, as provoked by some action of the character before them in the series. (Like other Downton parodies, that one actually honors the show--as only great works deserve and attract parodies, as in the annual "Bad Hemingway" contest in which people send in writing imitating Hemingway's.) ANYway, I cannot for the life of me find that parody anywhere online, and I'm hoping that another Downton fan saw it and can remember where it appeared so that I can successfully Google it in order to enjoy it again and share it with others. It's the funniest Downton parody I've seen. With my failing memory, I started off thinking it was a video--the sort of thing that Saturday Night Live might have done. (But instead SNL did a far inferior Downton parody.) Now I think that it was more likely a printed text, in the form of a script describing the actions by which all of the characters die. It was quite brief--which was a big part of what made it funny, as it killed off the whole cast within just a few minutes, and not with a massive bomb but rather a series of small, ludicrous occurrences, but its brevity is probably also part of why I'm having such difficulty trying to find it. Did anyone see or read it? Does this ring a bell? I think that most readers of this forum would enjoy it. Thanks! Jim C.
The mod will be probably merging this into the video thread. I'd check there for the parody. It usually ends up going there if it's video related to Downton.

- Captain Frederick Wentworth, Persuasion, Chapter 23
Scarlet|tumblr|Twitter|FF.net
Old 01-15-2014, 06:49 PM
Part-Time Fan

Never heard of it, Jim! Would love to see if anyone comes across the vid.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:03 PM
New Fan

>The mod will be probably merging this into the video thread. I'd check there for the parody. It usually ends up going there if it's video related to Downton.

Actually as I said I'm now pretty sure that the parody was NOT a video (so I hope the moderator doesn't misfile my query under videos), but instead a short published piece somewhere in the form of a mock script killing off all the remaining characters on Downton. Driving me nuts that I can't remember or find where it was published! Jim C.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:23 AM
Part-Time Fan

My bad, I didn't read your post carefully.
I tried searching a little bit but didn't find anything. It would help if you could remember a line or a unique phrase from the piece, so you could google the direct quote.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:35 AM
Moderator Manager

I've moved the thread to this one instead.

Jim C - if you can find a link to the parody script, please post it here. Was it on Tumblr?

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:22 AM
New Fan

>if you could remember a line or a unique phrase from the piece

I can't remember an exact quotation, so all I could search were phrases like "parody in which whole cast dies" and "Carson dies Thomas dies" etc.--and that got me nowhere. Blimey!
Old 01-16-2014, 07:38 AM
Master Fan

Mock script? Was it about S4 Episode 1?

Old 01-16-2014, 07:52 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletCourt (View Post)
Mock script? Was it about S4 Episode 1?
Sounds like it could be a fan fiction of some sort, or a blog post. An alternate ending to S3.

The thing is, because Matthew's death was such an outrage, everyone and their mother has done a parody/AU thing by now...so it's hard to sort through the pile unless you know what you're looking for. In any case I'll keep my eyes peeled for it.

Last edited by ediedoyle; 01-16-2014 at 08:24 AM
Old 01-16-2014, 09:17 AM
New Fan

>Mock script? Was it about S4 Episode 1?

No, it appeared shortly or soon after Matthew's death last season.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:20 PM
Master Fan

Is this it?

A Working Draft for the First Episode of Downton Abbey, Season 4 : The New Yorker

Came out last year on Feb 26. Everyone dies individually except for the Dowager Countess.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:23 AM
New Fan

>Is this it?
A Working Draft for the First Episode of Downton Abbey, Season 4 : The New Yorker
Came out last year on Feb 26. Everyone dies individually except for the Dowager Countess.
>
Yes, bless you! I've no idea how I came across that last February, but it doesn't matter now. Muchas gracias--and enjoy, everyone! Jim C.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:58 AM
Master Fan

Once I knew what you were looking for, I remembered what it was. Glad it's the right one.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:01 AM
Moderator Manager

Thanks for bringing it over here, Scarlet (and to Jim too). I have only skimmed through that one but it's very hilarious.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:56 PM
New Fan

How long do you think Downton Abbey should go on

I thought Downton Abbey was really really good during the first couple seasons. Even though it was for the most part just a well acted soap opera it was still a lot of fun getting to know each of the characters.

However in season 3 and especially now in season 4 (got the dvd set and watched the season that way) I am really beginning to notice how little actually happens on the show. Character development isn't quite holding my interest like it did during the first couple seasons and am now looking for more plot development and quite frankly for most of the characters they all seem like they are in the exact same places in their lives when the season ends as they were when it began.

So how much longer do you think Downton Abbey should go on if this is the direction they want to take things. It still is fairly interesting in season 4 but I personally will probably stop watching the show if they continue on the same path for season 5 and so on.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:05 PM
Supreme Fan

Perhaps end it nicely after Season 5 is over. I don't want them to move into the next decade, but keep it in the 1920s. Let Fellowes select a good way for the characters to go off and leave/exit. Think it out thoroughly, and let it go out on a high note with people talking about how much they love the series. Don't make it a chore to watch where people just tune out.
ODO & KIRA (DS9)