Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2013, 12:25 AM
Moderator Manager

If it had been malignant, there's really not much they can do. I mean today we have radiation treatments that are far better but we still don't have a cure for cancer. So it really is worse way back then.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:05 AM
Master Fan

Malignancy was definitely a death sentence back then. They could prolong your life a little or give you something for your pain, but nothing much else.

The reason there's no cure for cancer yet is because it's really not one disease. Yes it's a malignant growth of tumours, but it's actually different diseases with multiple causes, so we might have a cure for one form of cancer at one point but not all forms. For example, radiation exposure is one cause, HPV is the cause of cervical cancer, while two mutated genes (BRCA1 and BRCA2) is linked to some forms of breast cancer, so it's unlikely that one will be able to be able to cure all of them at once. For example, there's now the HPV vaccinations, abstaining and having one partner who has also never had other partners as preventatives for cervical cancer. Some are also investigating drugs that target blood vessels that are built to feed the tumours. The thing is the ability to cure all forms of cancer is still a long ways off and people will still die of it in the future after a cure is found if for example it's not caught early enough.

- Captain Frederick Wentworth, Persuasion, Chapter 23
Scarlet|tumblr|Twitter|FF.net
Old 03-23-2013, 03:41 PM
Part-Time Fan

Good points all of them. I have this discussion a lot with people as I am in healthcare and so many still look at Cancer as 1 disease when it has so many forms. Though a horrible disease I do find the subject fascinating.

I've been meaning to ask this for a while; I know some of you are in Canada I believe but where is everyone else from?

Robert♥Cora/Richard♥Emily/Roslin♥Adama/Carson♥Mrs.Hughes

Last edited by kar77; 03-23-2013 at 06:10 PM
Old 03-23-2013, 10:50 PM
Moderator Manager

I do have hope that in the future there will be a cure. Yes, not all forms but at least to start off with some would be an achievement already.

I'd also like to know what other means they had back then to detect cancer other than finding out too late. What are the chances that cancer could be detected earlier back then?

Kar - I'm from Manila, Philippines. I don't think you've introduced yourself on the Intro thread yet.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:00 PM
Master Fan

There were no ultrasounds and X-rays were only used if they needed diagnosis. If people didn't complain or go see a doctor, then it just wasn't detected. People didn't have annual exams back then. Doctors were only called when they felt ill, so unless it exhibited in some way, there was no way to know.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:48 AM
Part-Time Fan

Sitting here waiting for the kids at the dentist and reading Time for this week; title is How to Cure Cancer. Very interesting information especially since we have been talking about it here. It's the April 1 issue and I think it is still available if anyone is interested.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Master Fan

I googled and found this:
Medicine: Cancer Cure - TIME

Is this the article you read?

Here's Slates rebuttal as well:
How to cure cancer: Time magazine’s April 1 cover is wrong and cruel. - Slate Magazine

Which is also an interesting read.

To keep it more on topic, I do wonder how estates like DA fared in the 1920s during an era of economic boom.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:16 AM
New Fan

Margaret Thatcher was born in Grantham!

in 1924. It would be clever if they could work her birth into an episode. She was the daughter of a shopkeeper I believe. Maybe the Earl could be shopping and the shopkeeper asks for a suggested name?
Old 04-13-2013, 10:05 PM
Moderator Manager

I've been wondering about this but what exactly happens to housemaids & ktichen maids when they are caught upstairs where they're not supposed to be? Are they only reprimanded or can they actually get fired depending on the reason why they were caught upstairs? Also, I'm watching another period drama and I noticed the housemaids serve the food unlike with this show where the footmen do. Different for other households?

Old 04-14-2013, 03:11 AM
New Fan

Downton deaths - the Grim Reaper's morbid harvest

Downton seems to have many deaths [apologize in advance for misspelllings]:

the first Mrs. [Vera] Bates
Mathew Crawley?
Sybil Crawley
baby Crawley [Cora's miscarriage]
Mary's 'lover' from Turkey - Kemal Pamuk
Lavinia - MC's gf
Daisy's husband, William Mason, and m-i-l
Charlie's father - Charles Bryant [is Charlie's p gf the Earl's real life brother?]
Thomas' blind lover
Lavinia's father and the 2 heirs ahead of MC
Peter Crawley and his father James on the Titanic?

other deaths that preceded season one:

Mathew's dad [Isobel's husband]
Cora's dad
The earl's [Robert's] dad [Violet's husband]

Last edited by downtonphile; 04-14-2013 at 03:42 AM
Old 04-14-2013, 05:10 AM
Master Fan

Yes, there are a lot of deaths in DA, most of which made sense.

No, The Bryants are in no way related to the Granthams. Though you've made me wonder now that the Bryants are bringing up Charlie, would he become a Bryant?

Old 04-14-2013, 08:21 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtonphile (View Post)
Downton seems to have many deaths [apologize in advance for misspelllings]:

the first Mrs. [Vera] Bates
Mathew Crawley?
Sybil Crawley
baby Crawley [Cora's miscarriage]
Mary's 'lover' from Turkey - Kemal Pamuk
Lavinia - MC's gf
Daisy's husband, William Mason, and m-i-l
Charlie's father - Charles Bryant [is Charlie's p gf the Earl's real life brother?]
Thomas' blind lover
Lavinia's father and the 2 heirs ahead of MC
Peter Crawley and his father James on the Titanic?

other deaths that preceded season one:

Mathew's dad [Isobel's husband]
Cora's dad
The earl's [Robert's] dad [Violet's husband]
Marmaduke; Rosamund's husband as well.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Elite Fan

William's mother died too.
Oh and Jane's husband too, in the War.

And what about the Astors? They were in the Titanic too

Eugenia | tumblr ♔| twitter
Old 05-06-2013, 01:50 PM
New Fan

Jumping the Shark

I'm getting worried about what I consider the best show on television. It is starting to follow standard American drama templates.

1) Anti Christian or Christian neutral at best. We've had 2 weddings, 2 funerals and 3 Christmas's and not one blessed spiritual Church moment yet.

2) If two major characters get married, one dies or otherwise leaves the show. (I get that Dan Stevens wanted to leave the show. Hire anther actor and let the audience accept him.)

3) There is no way Thomas Barrow becomes underbutler. He has caused nothing but strife in his recent stay at Downton. It is believable that he would be allowed to remain on staff, but as second footman at best. Geez, Lord Crawley wouldn't let his family be served by an ex-hooker. A practicing homosexual? Heck, common as rain. Let's give him a raise and a promotion.

Downton Abbey, I fear you will soon be the glory of everyone who watches Glee, and nobody else.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:03 PM
Master Fan

I wonder how scandalous Jack and Rose's relationship would have been in Yorkshire in 1922. While it would have been scandalous in the American South, I do wonder how it would have been seen in Yorkshire.