Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-25-2014, 09:17 PM
Moderator Manager

x

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:52 AM
Loyal Fan

^ Very funny! Looks like Hugh even did his own stunt work. Impressive!
Old 05-26-2014, 08:54 PM
Moderator Manager

Here's another one, so funny! I haven't watched this Graham Norton interview yet.

x

Old 05-28-2014, 12:18 PM
Loyal Fan

^ That's so funny! Hugh's retort and facial expression are hysterical.

I'm so used to seeing "serious Robert" that it's so funny to see "silly Hugh". I don't think I've ever see him deny that Robert is a bit of a dunderhead. Hugh knows it and it's funny to see him readily agree when someone says Robert is always wrong or isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Hugh is great!
Old 05-28-2014, 06:49 PM
Moderator Manager

Very true. I do like how Hugh portrays Robert. You either love or hate the character.

Hugh's a really funny guy. I remember seeing him on BBC's Twenty Twelve (sitcom) and he's so funny.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:48 PM
Moderator Manager

x

LOL Richard Hammond.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:16 PM
Moderator Manager

Paddington Bear trailer is out!

Old 07-20-2014, 09:38 PM
Moderator Manager

This is so hilarious. Bill Murray & Matt Damon were crying laughing.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:05 AM
Loyal Fan

^ That was very funny! I love what a good sport Hugh is and how he can laugh and make fun of himself. So different from Robert that's for sure. Thanks for posting that!
Old 07-22-2014, 12:29 AM
Moderator Manager

"I'm NOT wearing lipstick!" I think Hugh must be a joker in real life. He's really such a far cry from the character he plays on the show. Bill pointed out his British terms: my willy jumpy and lippy.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:45 PM
Communications Team Manager
Graphics Team

Moderator of ...
Communications Team

The lipstick bit is funny

JOIN our Communications Team.
| ray
Old 07-29-2014, 11:21 PM
Moderator Manager

It only means that his lips are so red which is a plus for men.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:41 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Life in Haslemere editorial manager Henry Ascoli meets Hugh Bonneville…

Best-known as the Earl of Grantham in ITV’s Sunday night sensation Downton Abbey, Hugh Bonneville is a leading light of stage and screen. Yet when the camera cuts, he seeks the simple pleasures in life.

We catch up with Hugh over a cappuccino to learn more about his acting roots and future projects, battles with slow broadband and love of ginger beer…

What first inspired you to take up acting?

It came from being exposed to theatre quite a lot, as I grew up in London, mainly in Blackheath, and from an early age my parents took me to see a lot of theatre.

I was immersed in watching ‘stories in the dark’, and I found that exciting. The one thing I was passionate about was telling stories, but I never saw it being a profession until much later on.

I got involved with the National Youth Theatre, which was the first time I’d really been brought together with young people from all over the country who shared that same passion for performing in plays – that was a real eye-opener for me.

When I was studying Theology at university, that was the first real point where I thought of giving it a go. I thought at the time, ‘I’d rather spend three years trying to make it in acting than 50 years in a pinstripe suit looking back and wondering what might have been.’

What was your first big breakthrough?

I started out at the Open Air Theatre in Regent’s Park – I really started my training on the job, learning by doing. Getting a job at the National Theatre was also another big breakthrough, as I was able to watch from the wings some brilliant actors like Michael Gambon and Judi Dench, Anthony Hopkins… I really learnt by osmosis, which I think is so important in the arts.

Notting Hill was a big gear change, and made me become aware of the marketing side of this business, and how your talent goes a certain way before it becomes about your ‘marketability’.

I was able to get auditions after that which I simply couldn’t have imagined before, and this led me to building a career mainly in television and film.

What do you believe is the main appeal of Downton Abbey on a personal level and for the audience?

No one could have foreseen Downton Abbey becoming the global phenomenon that it has. When I first read it, it was a compelling story and I wanted to know what happened next. When we were working on the first series, no one had ever heard of it – people just saw it as another ‘boring costume drama’.

I am certainly fond of my character – he’s conservative by birth but ultimately liberal by instinct, even though he has his ‘dinosaur’ moments! What I loved about the entire concept of the show is that there are no lead parts – the lead part is Highclere Castle. It really is a genuine ensemble, and there is something for everyone – such an array of characters, all of whom are written with affection by Julian Fellows.

Your next role is Mr Brown in the new adaptation of Paddington Bear – a new challenge?

I grew up with Paddington, and the spirit of the books is encapsulating. The image of the bear standing alone with his suitcase at the station immediately evokes powerful thoughts of evacuees during the war desperately in need of a home.

The project has captured all of the original elements of Paddington, except in the present day - it’s a really charming take on the story.

The director Paul King, who directed The Mighty Boosh, basically is Paddington – he’s an adorable little bear of a man who has a wonderful view of the world and has added some gorgeous visual touches to the story.

How long have you lived locally and what do you love most about the community?

I’ve lived in the area for about 35 years. A lot of my teenage years were spent here, and it’s always felt like home – we have very deep roots here. My wife was also born and bred in Trotton.

What I love most is the accessibility to the South Downs and the beautiful countryside.

There are such contrasting flavours between Midhurst, Haslemere, Petersfield, Liphook… They all have their own character.

I used to love going to the cinema in Haslemere, and as a teenager I had a pipe dream that one day, when I’d won my millions, I would open a cinema. To get lost in the world of the silver screen would be fantastic.

There’s a vibrant am-dram community across the local area, and the performing arts are so nourishing – I’m hugely impressed by local groups such as Petersfield Youth Theatre and Centre Stage Academy in Midhurst.

Anything that gives the human spirit nourishment is great, and we should encourage young people to think big and use their imagination.

You are a patron for several charities - how do you aim to raise awareness of local and national charities and support their work?

As I get older and look back to my roots and what was important to me, the National Youth Theatre was a huge influence on me. I was recently invited to become a patron for them, and this is a path which I’m keen to pursue, in using my own skills in a valuable way to support others.

I’m increasingly leaning towards more arts-based charities – I think it’s our duty as human beings to pass on our experiences and help the next generation.

What are your main hobbies/passions away from acting and why?

My favourite pastime at the moment is composing rude letters to my internet provider asking why on earth because we live outside London can we not have decent broadband?!

I’m on the verge of getting out my spade and knocking on my neighbours’ doors to see if anyone can help me dig a big trench from London down the A3 so we can lay a fibre-optic connection!

Another of my other favourite things to do is to go on ‘pub crawls’ – well I can them pub crawls, but it’s usually me and my son cycling to the pub together for a ginger beer! Going to any of the pubs within a ginger beer radius of my house is great!

I’m not a great gardener – when we used to live in Stedham, I was in charge of looking after the garden – but tended to water the weeds and pull up the roses!

The one hobby I used to do a lot as a kid was sailing – I learnt to sail at Emsworth and my dad shared a boat with his cousin in Bosham. I love Chichester Harbour and often visit West Wittering for a picnic or to walk the dog. I really want to get back into sailing – I’m dying to get back onto the water again.

I always say the only way to get a job is to book a holiday – as soon as I look to take a break away somewhere, work comes calling.
New Life Magazines — Getting to know Hugh

Old 08-05-2014, 07:16 PM
Loyal Fan

Love the insight that interview provided. I got a kick out of him wanting to put his own fiber-optic broadband connection in the ground. Sounds like he's very frustrated with his internet speed. I can relate to that but I'm lucky that my home internet is very fast. If it slows down the least bit I'm all "What the heck?" I think I've gotten a bit spoiled.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:28 AM
Moderator Manager

I'm envious you all get very fast internet connection. One of the problems in my country is the very slow speed of the internet here. It's really frustrating!

I'm going to watch!

Hugh Bonneville Cast as Pirate in ‘Galavant’ — Peter the Pillager | TVLine