Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2014, 12:36 AM
Moderator Manager

I think Evelyn was a sport about it actually. It was obvious that he liked Mary but once he found out she liked Pamuk more, she didn't pursue her anymore. Matthew wasn't much of a threat this time. Though I'm glad Mary didn't end up with anyone by the end of S1. She wasn't emotionally ready that time. Even if it was Evelyn she chose instead of Matthew, I think she'd have second thoughts about marrying him too.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:26 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
I think Evelyn was a sport about it actually. It was obvious that he liked Mary but once he found out she liked Pamuk more, she didn't pursue her anymore. Matthew wasn't much of a threat this time. Though I'm glad Mary didn't end up with anyone by the end of S1. She wasn't emotionally ready that time. Even if it was Evelyn she chose instead of Matthew, I think she'd have second thoughts about marrying him too.
I'm actually ( slowly ) working on a fic about that.

Out of the two, I think he was the more mature about it, and he realized that she wouldn't have been ready anyway even if she. had accepted -- which I don't know, the way the scriptbook reads I feel like she would have welcomed a proposal because of the scandal.

Of course, I don't think he would have given it.

"And you think I should choose life?"
Evelyn = In Hebrew the meaning of the name Evelyn is: Life.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:31 PM
Moderator Manager

Ooooohh, do get around to writing that fic when you have the time.

I still wish that Evelyn didn't bring a friend along because JF can definitely write up a story of how he too has been having feelings for Mary all this time and it could've been Tony vs. Evelyn if it comes down to it.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:31 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
Ooooohh, do get around to writing that fic when you have the time.

I still wish that Evelyn didn't bring a friend along because JF can definitely write up a story of how he too has been having feelings for Mary all this time and it could've been Tony vs. Evelyn if it comes down to it.
I started it a while ago, I just need to continue it.

I have something in the pipeline for that scenario too once term is over. No Tony in it though.

"And you think I should choose life?"
Evelyn = In Hebrew the meaning of the name Evelyn is: Life.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:41 AM
Moderator Manager

I wonder if Robert or Cora would have a solid SL next season? They were more background in S4 which is pretty alarming.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

So I should keep watching the rest of the season? It ends on a huge cliffhanger?

Icon by sourburst
Old 04-23-2014, 06:33 AM
Moderator Manager

It depends on you. And no, it doesn't end in a huge cliffhanger like the previous seasons. Although if S4 was the end of the show, I'd be pissed.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:13 PM
New Fan

Favorite Scene from Season 4?

What was your favorite scene from Season 4? Here are my Top 10:
Top 10 'Downton Abbey' Scenes From Season 4 - Spiritual Pop Culture
Old 04-29-2014, 01:49 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritualpopculture (View Post)
Interesting choices!

My top ten (and yes, it's not difficult to figure out for whom I watch the show):

1. Aren't we the lucky ones
Isobel, Mary and Tom in the nursery

2. "There not many as free as my Sybil"
Tom talks to Isobel why he wants to go to America

3." Don't say her name!"
Tom and Edna when she tries to pressure him into marrying her.

4. "I guess I can trust you to steer"
Tom dances with Violet

5. "We must stand up to them, you and I"
Tom helps Edith to make her decision about her daughter

6. "Uh uh"
The hurricane in the nursery

7. "But in your case it was unmarried love, wasn't it dear?"
Mrs Hughe's badass lioness fight for her surrogate son Tom.

8. "I want Branson... uh Tom to be your instructor"
Violet and her grand plan. So funny!

9. "I think you must be very nice to me now. Or I tell old Lady Grantham that you called LLoyd George "poor dear".
Tom and Isobel in the car.

10. "I don't see types, I see people"
I loved the scene, but having to watch Sarah Bunting in it lessens my enjoyment. But since there's also a nice moment where Tom remembers Sybil AND he's in a waistcoat lying on his back under the car, I overlook the annoying teacher in it.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:33 PM
Extreme Fan

Oh,I also loved "Don't speak her name!" even though it broke my heart. So many different emotions contained in those few words, and he delivered them so well.

But top scene was Edith and Rosamund in the doctor's office, when she said she would never be able to go near the nursery again. I thought that was a great line that also said so much with so few words and again perfectly delivered. It made me understand why she backed out the way she did. I was crying.

Last edited by HarshBench; 04-29-2014 at 03:45 PM
Old 04-30-2014, 10:37 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Thanks for this link! I have to think about this before I post my top 10. It's 1:36AM on my side of the world so I need to sleep on this first.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:39 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
That is a great question and a great way to put a bow on season four. Surprisingly my favorite scenes came to mind rather easily. The difficult part was whittling them down to just ten. I was able to get the number down to thirteen but couldn’t bring myself to eliminate any more. As a result, my list of favorite season four scenes has thirteen entries. Lucky thirteen, a baker’s dozen it is. Here’s the start of my list going from number thirteen up to my number one favorite scene…

13) Tom Branson asks for Mr. Carson’s help with Mary (Episode 1)

The Scene:
This scene finds Tom going to Carson’s office to ask for his help with “a difficult situation”. Tom tells Carson that Mary isn’t improving. She’s no better than she was a week after Matthew died. He says the only way is for Mary to find an interest outside of herself and he’s convinced it should be in the running of the estate. Carson asks what his lordship thinks and Tom tells him that Lord Grantham thinks his duty is to protect Mary and her son by managing everything himself. He sees Mary as a little woman who shouldn’t be troubled with anything so harsh as reality. Tom realizes he may have spoken a bit too harshly about Robert and he glances down at the floor. Carson says “And even were I to agree with you, how could I help?” Tom looks up with hope at Carson and asks him to give Mary advice. He says she’d take it from him and Carson asks Tom what makes him say that. Tom replies “Because she knows you only want the best for her.”

Why I loved it:
This scene is one of my favorites because Tom and Carson put their strained relationship aside to help Mary. At the start of the scene, they are very formal with each other with the “Mr. Branson” and “Mr. Carson” type of greetings. There’s a definite chill in the air and Tom looks nervous. It took guts for him to approach Carson for help especially since he’s asking him to go against Robert’s wishes. By asking what can he do to help, Carson lets Tom know he agrees with him. That indeed is a rarity. These two men are showing their fondness for Mary by working together, despite their past differences, to find some way to get her through the darkest time of her life. I guess I just love the love!

(As usual my post has gotten rather long. Next time…the countdown continues with #12 and maybe #11 if I don’t get so wordy…don’t count on it though! )

Last edited by Lauren60; 06-15-2014 at 10:26 AM
Old 06-12-2014, 02:40 PM
Loyal Fan

I Know this is maybe the wrong place for my question, but why is the evelyn Mary thread closed? Can we now write the Mary evelyn stuff in here?
Old 06-12-2014, 03:39 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SannraB (View Post)
I Know this is maybe the wrong place for my question, but why is the evelyn Mary thread closed? Can we now write the Mary evelyn stuff in here?
There is an open Mary/Evelyn thread at the bottom of the second page of the threads. The title starts with "The Lovelies...."
Old 06-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Moderator Manager

EEP! I have forgotten about this! I will have my Top 10 by tomorrow as I'm feeling under the weather today. I might do it one by one too so we can run this thread along.

Lauren, I like your first fave moment with Tom & Carson. Those two have put their differences aside to help Mary in the first ep. They both care for Mary a great deal and it showed in this ep. I want to comment more but perhaps tomorrow when I feel a bit better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SannraB (View Post)
The Mary/Evelyn thread is open, I'm the last poster: http://www.fanforum.com/f387/lovelie...8/index19.html