Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-23-2014, 12:06 AM
Moderator Manager

Downton Abbey S5E6 Epispde Discussion

Series 5 Episode 6
Sunday, October 26, 2014, 9:00-10:00 PM Greenwich Mean Time

Description

Following the altercation, relations between Robert and Cora are strained, while Blake's scheming starts to come to fruition when Mary is unexpectedly pitted against her love rival. Edith decides to take drastic measures after receiving terrible news, leaving various parties reeling. Baxter is embroiled in the investigation into Green's death following a mysterious tip-off, and as Thomas's health deteriorates, he finally reveals the truth to the maid. Elsewhere, love is in the air for more than one member of the Crawley family.

source

Join Us for the Live Chat During the Episode

Rules of the Discussion

1. Please try not to insult any characters, ships or actors. Stay positive and respect your fellow posters.

2. Keep any criticisms of the episode constructive, please. Not everyone will be happy about everything in the episode, but try to keep things constructive. "This plot is ridiculous!" is not considered to be constructive criticism.

3. Please no discussions about illegal downloading, asking or commenting about it. Any posts with that topic will be edited or unapproved. Use PMs instead.

4. Reminder: All storylines are a spoiler so while the OP has storyline information, you can react but not discuss it until then even under spoiler tags.

Thank you and enjoy the episode!

Countdown to 5x06

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:24 AM
New Fan

Is Blake going to be in this episode?
Old 10-23-2014, 06:58 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinebright (View Post)
Is Blake going to be in this episode?
According to the info posted below, yes.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Part-Time Fan

It's about time something started happening this series! I hope Charles isn't a scoundrel, he's a cutey pie.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:19 AM
Loyal Fan

So excited for this episode based on the previews and the episode synopsis!

I especially can't wait to see/hear more about Charles's scheme.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:21 PM
New Fan

Hope it lives up to expectations. Carrie I did see the info below but I didn't see Charles name in the characters list associated with the episode. I saw Tony's though and I hope there's a good reason for him to be in this episode and not the previous one.

Sorry Linds I know this is episode 6, but Northbound have you seen the episode info for episode 7?? I hope you can contain your excitement after reading it. You too Carrie!
Old 10-23-2014, 04:55 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Sorry Linds I know this is episode 6, but Northbound have you seen the episode info for episode 7?? I hope you can contain your excitement after reading it. You too Carrie!
I did see that, and I had my little freak-out in the spoiler thread.

http://www.fanforum.com/f15/%E2%99%9...4/index19.html
Old 10-23-2014, 11:25 PM
Moderator Manager

I haven't read anything for this ep yet (apart from that link) as well as for the next ep. With just literally 4 eps to go, I hope some SLs will run and we have our freak outs already.

Thanks for the S&S link northboundtrain! Any talk for the un-aired eps/spoilers should all go there.

carrie.suze, did I get the time right (also GMT now not BST)? I heard clocks are turned back this Sunday?

Old 10-24-2014, 06:51 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Hope it lives up to expectations. Carrie I did see the info below but I didn't see Charles name in the characters list associated with the episode. I saw Tony's though and I hope there's a good reason for him to be in this episode and not the previous one.

Haven't seen any info on that yet hun, but I'm getting excited already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
I haven't read anything for this ep yet (apart from that link) as well as for the next ep. With just literally 4 eps to go, I hope some SLs will run and we have our freak outs already.

Thanks for the S&S link northboundtrain! Any talk for the un-aired eps/spoilers should all go there.

carrie.suze, did I get the time right (also GMT now not BST)? I heard clocks are turned back this Sunday?
They go forward on Saturday night Lindsay, it confuses me every time, as if winter isn't gloomy enough, it gets darker earlier unfortunately, but Downton's still on at the regular time at least.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:41 PM
Part-Time Fan

I am hoping Edith spills the beans to Tom about Marigold. We're in episode 6 of 8 (does this include the Christmas episode?), so we gotta get this story line moving along!

I was kinda shocked at Miss Fox's 'choke on it' line, I don't think proper ladies talked that way back then? (I can't imagine Mary spewing that out,lol)

I bet Mr. Drew hasn't been in good graces with the wife since introducing Edith into the mix, lol....his wife looks like she could spit nails each time Edith knocks on the door!
(The old saying "Happy wife, happy life', hasn't been applying to him lately. haha! He really stepped in it when he said 'Suuureee.....we'll take the baby, no problem'. LOL
Old 10-25-2014, 12:59 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie.suze (View Post)
They go forward on Saturday night Lindsay, it confuses me every time, as if winter isn't gloomy enough, it gets darker earlier unfortunately, but Downton's still on at the regular time at least.
Okay thanks, these time clocks always confuse me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiemom09121416 (View Post)
I was kinda shocked at Miss Fox's 'choke on it' line, I don't think proper ladies talked that way back then? (I can't imagine Mary spewing that out,lol)
I think I heard Mabel say "Ditto" in that scene but I may need to re-watch. Not sure girls say that back then.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:30 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiemom09121416 (View Post)
We're in episode 6 of 8 (does this include the Christmas episode?)

The CS is episode 9, so we have 3 episodes including the one tonight AND the CS. Thank god!
Old 10-26-2014, 06:34 PM
Loyal Fan

Where is everyone??

I thought this was a great episode. A lot of payoff for a lot of different stories.

I wanted more of the horse race, obviously (and I do think some scenes must have been cut -- one scene in particular with Charles staring at Carson, which I was looking forward to seeing the context of), but I liked what little we did get. And that Mary/Charles preview -- I can't wait!

I thought the scenes leading up to and including Edith's flight from the Abbey were well done. I'm glad she didn't just kidnap Marigold but that she talked to the Drewes first, and I'm glad that Mrs. Drewe seemed to come around even though she was understandably upset. That shot with the two women embracing Marigold was just beautiful. And I also liked that Violet ran straight to the farm to confirm that Marigold was gone too -- and the look on her face when she realized that she would no longer be able to protect Edith from scandal.

Thomas's scenes were also outstanding (and I'm so relieved that it looks like no permanent damage was done). Fantastic acting by all of the actors, especially RJC -- I think my two favorite moments were when he said he'd done electroshock and then his face when Dr. Clarkson told him to make the best life he could. And I also like the genuine friendship that seems to be brewing between Thomas and Baxter.

The Daisy/Molesley scenes were an unexpected treat, as were the scenes where Carson expressed interest in and eventually came out and asked Mrs. Hughes to get a house with him. I've thought for awhile now that next season will be the end of the show, and it does seem like JF is getting the downstairs crew ready for their final bow.

Violet's new maid hasn't really grown on me, but I did adore Spratt's freak-out.

Atticus and Rose are terribly cute together.

I wanted a bit more done with Cora/Robert. It seems strange that they seem to be back on good terms but they haven't had a talk about the one thing that drove Cora into her friendship with Bricker -- her feeling that Robert doesn't appreciate her mind. I'm hoping that next episode they'll have a scene that deals with that.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:39 PM
New Fan

It was a good episode. But ah Mary......such arrogance in one person. Further thoughts on the whole episode later.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:30 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
It was a good episode. But ah Mary......such arrogance in one person. Further thoughts on the whole episode later.
I was stunned by this. I am no Mary fan and I think she's a narcissist, but it's all on a spectrum and she was waaayyyy on the bad end of the spectrum tonight. Just cold and hurtful and selfish! And why? What harm would it do her to be nice? I mean, what more important thing was consuming her? She felt frumpy so wanted to get a new hairdo to upstage Mabel....even though they aren't even in competition.

Why does she need such constant validation?

Like I said, I dislike her but even I think it was character assassination. Just poor writing. It's so OTT. I think it was just so she could finally push Edith over the brink into saying something. And I am glad she did (although I can't believe how Mary retorted). Still, there were better ways to accomplish that.