Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-15-2014, 10:47 PM
Moderator Manager

Downton Abbey S5E5 Episode Discussion

Series 5 Episode 5
Sunday, October 19, 2014, 9:00-10:00 PM British Summer Time

Description

Art expert Simon Bricker and Lady Cora - have grown close over the past few weeks, and their flirting reaches boiling point in the latest episode. She's enjoying the attention he gives her, but is he about to cross a line - and does she want him to? Cora's eldest child, Mary, is also enjoying male company, this time that of Charles Blake, who's about to do her a big favour. Meanwhile, Rose meets a dashing stranger, Branson makes up his mind about Sarah Bunting and Anna is disturbed by a visit from Inspector Vyner.

source

Join Us for the Live Chat During the Episode

Rules of the Discussion

1. Please try not to insult any characters, ships or actors. Stay positive and respect your fellow posters.

2. Keep any criticisms of the episode constructive, please. Not everyone will be happy about everything in the episode, but try to keep things constructive. "This plot is ridiculous!" is not considered to be constructive criticism.

3. Please no discussions about illegal downloading, asking or commenting about it. Any posts with that topic will be edited or unapproved. Use PMs instead.

4. Reminder: All storylines are a spoiler so while the OP has storyline information, you can react but not discuss it until then even under spoiler tags.

Thank you and enjoy the episode!

Countdown to 5x05

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:00 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Art expert Simon Bricker and Lady Cora - have grown close over the past few weeks, and their flirting reaches boiling point in the latest episode. She's enjoying the attention he gives her, but is he about to cross a line - and does she want him to?

Will this be another Pamuk /Mary situation where he goes to her room and tries to seduce her? For the love of repetition, I sincerely, sincerely, truly hope not.

Please episode, be a good one. Move stories along at a faster pace. The season is halfway done.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:17 AM
Extreme Fan

I hope Tom making up his mind about Bunting is what we're all hoping for, and looking forward to seeing what Charles's favour for Mary is.

I can't see Cora giving in to Bricker, as readily as her daughter did with Pamuk, but we'll find out on Sunday.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:48 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie.suze (View Post)
I hope Tom making up his mind about Bunting is what we're all hoping for, and looking forward to seeing what Charles's favour for Mary is.

I can't see Cora giving in to Bricker, as readily as her daughter did with Pamuk, but we'll find out on Sunday.

Yes, am hoping that Bunting finally gets the heave-ho in the next episode as well! Am curious to see what damning info Charles has for Mary to use against Tony to shut his trap as well.

I've watched DA for some time, and always felt it was moving too quickly through time, now it seems that it's stuck in time, just plodding along (even Cora told Robert she'd already heard his joke,lol).
I hate to say it, but it seems the show has lost its luster and is getting stale? (can't believe I just said that).
I mean, we've saved DA's future through Mary's marriage, Matthew's inheritance and vision for the future, and a male heir. We killed off Sybil, Tom turned from a revolutionary to a creme puff, Daisy wants to go to college (well, sorta of, lol), Jimmy's gone, OBrien's curling hair of a divorcee, And Robert and Cora are bored with one another. The age of the great dinners and such is coming to a close, so what's next? Drilling for oil with a Texas man named Ewing?
Old 10-16-2014, 11:13 AM
Part-Time Fan

Read an article on another site discussing the obvious slow down in time this season, and one reason put forth is that JF doesn't want to address WWII, nor see his characters age TOO much ( I mean, Violet's not getting any younger, neither is Isis, LOL).

Good points that I hadn't considered. I don't think I want to see WWII and it's affect on DA and it's inhabitants. (Although Edith's beau's disappearance in Germany leaves me a little antsy). I rather liked him, thought he and Edith were a great match. I am curious as to see how the family will take to the news about Marigold. I also like Rosamund, hope she is around more this season.

...and another person I liked from a previous season? Richard Carlisle. I don't know why (might be my American viewpoint...nothing wrong with some handsome, rich, driven, intelligent, successful, protecting Mary's family and household help from scandal... ok, I know he was sorta gruff with Mary, but hey, she said she'd marry him and all the while she was making goo-goo eyes at Matthew, I'd be grumpy, too.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:43 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiemom09121416 (View Post)
Read an article on another site discussing the obvious slow down in time this season, and one reason put forth is that JF doesn't want to address WWII, nor see his characters age TOO much ( I mean, Violet's not getting any younger, neither is Isis, LOL).

Good points that I hadn't considered. I don't think I want to see WWII and it's affect on DA and it's inhabitants. (Although Edith's beau's disappearance in Germany leaves me a little antsy). I rather liked him, thought he and Edith were a great match. I am curious as to see how the family will take to the news about Marigold. I also like Rosamund, hope she is around more this season.

Yes, I can't see him go as far as WW2, because as you say the characters will age too much, although we're getting a reminder of the troubles in Germany with what's possibly happened to Gregson, I'm so hoping he isn't dead though, I want a surprise return from him in this series.

I like Rosamund too, more of her as well please.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:51 PM
Part-Time Fan

Is there a thread which addresses just general ideas and such about the series? There's so many threads to look through!
I don't watch a lot of tv (probably none, really, lol)..but someone told me about a show called DownTOWN Abbey..
she said no, it's DOWNTON.
so there started my journey
I have all the seasons, am currently in a constant loop of watching the series. The wardrobe, the scenery, the castle, it's all so breathtakingly beautiful. (And so was Dan Stevens, but let's not go there).
I recently purchased 3 of the coffee table books (one's in the mail), and don't want to brag (well, okay, maybe I am ) but the last one (think it was the Chronicles one? I paid .18 cents for it. I love Amazon, LOL)

So I am a Downton fanatic. During the marathon blitz of watching, one of my kids said 'you need to watch Pride and Prejudice'.
Well lawdy sakes, how beautiful was THAT movie (and yes, he was hot.)

So, now you know something about me.
And to add something about this upcoming episode (to keep in line with the thread title), I hope to learn what Charles was going to tell Mary about Tony to keep him in check. But I don't think Tony's going to go quietly, but we can only hope.
Poor Robert, the women in his life are going to make him want to run into the hills...Cora's got an admirer, Mary's a woman of lose morals, and well, Edith, what should we call what she's done. LOL
(you gotta watch those quiet ones)
Old 10-16-2014, 03:47 PM
New Fan

Welcome to the board. Have you seen 'North and South'? Not the one with Patrick Swayze. Try and find it. It's lovely.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:54 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinebright (View Post)
Welcome to the board. Have you seen 'North and South'? Not the one with Patrick Swayze. Try and find it. It's lovely.
Never heard of it. , but thank you for the suggestion! I might look into that.

I've heard a lot about a show called Homeland, but I think it's on HBO and we don't have the premium channels, but I guess if I motivated myself I could find it online. LOL
I tried watching Breaking Bad but I didn't care for that. too intense for me!
Old 10-17-2014, 01:01 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiemom09121416 (View Post)
Is there a thread which addresses just general ideas and such about the series? There's so many threads to look through!
You can try this therad for any general ideas, questions and theories you may have but again, please be careful for spoilers. Also Homeland is on Showtime not HBO. I liked the first two seasons and the last two are a little meh to me now. I will still watch though.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:20 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Ok, this just made me laugh out loud...

I also hope to see some development in the storylines in this episode. I don't know why but I'm cautiously optimistic.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:15 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I've seen it, and liked it too. haven't seen the Patrick Swayze version.

All the details are here North & South (TV Mini-Series 2004) - IMDb and of course our own Bates/Brendan Coyle is one of the stars.

And widely available on dvd....... http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-South-.../dp/B0007N1BBC I'd recommend it, and this one also by Elizabeth Gaskell is very good too.....http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006NZ65L...5f97aba2c9cbda

Last edited by carrie.suze; 10-17-2014 at 11:25 AM
Old 10-17-2014, 04:05 PM
New Fan

Very funny Guys!
Old 10-18-2014, 04:30 AM
Moderator Manager

I love North & South. It was some posters from this board 2 years ago that recommended the show to me.

New ep tomorrow! I hope this one's better.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:09 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
I love North & South. It was some posters from this board 2 years ago that recommended the show to me.

New ep tomorrow! I hope this one's better.
They seem to be improving Lindsay, so I've every hope. looking forward to it.