Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-09-2014, 12:42 AM
Moderator Manager

Downton Abbey S5E4 Episode Discussion

Series 5 Episode 4
Sunday, October 12, 2014, 9:00-10:00 PM British Summer Time

Description

Schoolteacher Sarah Bunting continues to wage her one-woman war against the Crawleys - before pushing them too far. Violet is too busy getting flustered about Prince Kuragin to notice, and finally confides in Isobel the truth about their shared past. Following her illicit trip to Liverpool with Lord Gillingham, Mary makes a decision about their relationship - but does it have any future? Thomas returns to Downton a shadow of his former self, and Baxter wonders if there's more to his mystery illness than he's letting on. Rose's father Shrimpie (guest star Peter Egan) is also back on the estate - with shocking news.

source

Join Us for the Live Chat During the Episode

Rules of the Discussion

1. Please try not to insult any characters, ships or actors. Stay positive and respect your fellow posters.

2. Keep any criticisms of the episode constructive, please. Not everyone will be happy about everything in the episode, but try to keep things constructive. "This plot is ridiculous!" is not considered to be constructive criticism.

3. Please no discussions about illegal downloading, asking or commenting about it. Any posts with that topic will be edited or unapproved. Use PMs instead.

4. Reminder: All storylines are a spoiler so while the OP has storyline information, you can react but not discuss it until then even under spoiler tags.

Thank you and enjoy the episode!

Countdown to 5x04

Witness the magical sprouting of the Purple Acorns
As hopes turn into reality

Old 10-09-2014, 07:58 AM
New Fan

Ok something big HAS TO happen here. Looking forward to this episode but I'm confused about this wording, 'Mary makes a decision about her relationship but does it have a future?' Does what have a future? The decision or the relationship?
Old 10-09-2014, 08:08 AM
Extreme Fan

Thanks Lindsay, it'll be nice to see Rose's dad 'Shrimpie' Peter Egan back for a brief visit, wonder what news he'll have.
Ha, confused about the wording of that too, I guess we'll find out what Mary's decision is on Sunday.
Don't know if you've seen all the lovely new stills from Ep 4, I had to register with the site to view them this time, worth it though.....http://www.farfarawaysite.com/sectio...y4/gallery.htm
Old 10-09-2014, 08:23 AM
New Fan

No I'm trying to be unspoiled......................makes for clearer viewing I find.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:21 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinebright (View Post)
No I'm trying to be unspoiled......................makes for clearer viewing I find.
I know, it's a dilemma, I always try not to peek at spoilers, but somehow I can never resist, I need more willpower.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:43 PM
Loyal Fan

I'm the most excited for this episode than I've been for any of the others.

Quote:
Ok something big HAS TO happen here. Looking forward to this episode but I'm confused about this wording, 'Mary makes a decision about her relationship but does it have a future?' Does what have a future? The decision or the relationship?
I think they mean "does the relationship have a future?" As in, whatever her decision is, will there be a future there for her and Tony.

It's very awkwardly worded.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:59 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
I think it's meant to be confusing so that it's vague.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:49 AM
Part-Time Fan

Is anything interesting going on with Bates and Anna this season so far?
Old 10-10-2014, 08:19 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs. g (View Post)
Has there EVER been something interesting going on with Bates and Anna??

Hehe, sorry. No offense. I just snooze through their plots.

Anything interesting? The fact that Bates is again under suspicion maybe. Or that Anna hides Mary's contraception in her cottage and will probably be found out by her husband soon, which means he will be jealous and of course NOT talk to her about it, but instead put on his martyr face and will threaten to leave Downton forever to make things easier for her....
Old 10-11-2014, 12:30 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs. g (View Post)
At the moment none so far but with the police coming in to question Bates about Green, Anna is having her doubts. We have yet to see the fallout of all of this soon.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Part-Time Fan

Wow!

Go Robert!!

Loved it, not only his volley to Bunting, which she richly deserved (just how rude can you get?) but for his attitude to how best to expand and build on the Downton estate, whilst keeping its idyllic English character.

And the glimpse into ep 5? Tom saying you hate them, but you forget my child is one of them. Exactly.

Actually thought the proposal scene between Isobel and Lord Merton was really sweet.

Poor Thomas, whatever he is doing to himself is not healthy.

And Tony can't believe he's been dumped.

Mabel was quite.....forceful?

Edith sees more of her daughter than Mary sees of her son! LOL

Loving the Mrs Patmore and war memorial storyline, because eventually people who were shot for cowardice were recognised.

Best line of the programme though?

Robert. "I can't stand that woman".
Old 10-12-2014, 02:42 PM
Extreme Fan

Wow Tony behaved like a jerk. He's like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Scary. I don't blame him for being upset but he was so judgey and controlling. Like Richard only worse.

Sarah's gone. Thank God. She doesn't know when to stop.

I liked Rose and shrimpie. Interesting that she gets his word he'll let her marry whom she wants and not the first eligible guy to come along....and then next episode Mr. Perfect Toff seems to appear.

I like the edith/Violet conversation. Where Violet said that to her what's good for Edith and good for the family are the same and Edith says that's where they disagree. She's right. What's good for the family isn't good for her in this case and she's not gotten the same benefit from being part of the family as Mary has.

I just feel that no one looks out for her and so she has to look out for herself. Sure Robert was nice tonight but if not for him she'd be married to Anthony and maybe have a couple of kids. It's just too little too late.

Loved Isobel and merton!! Love that now she's considering him and Violet isn't happy.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:45 PM
Master Fan

Wow Miss Bunting was seriously rude this episode. I mean I get that she disagrees with them, but there are ways and she was just plain rude. Glad Robert finally lost his temper and loved Mary's snarkiness towards her. I wish they'd made the character more likeable cos I really want someone for Tom. he deserves to be happy.

Tony was not cool tonight either. I get he was upset, but he was kinda an ass.

Like Tom/mary friendship scene. We should get more of those.

Really curious about whats up with Thomas. whatever is going on - I hope he stops suffering soon.

The proposal was surprisingly sweet and I am actually hoping that she says yes (didn't really care before )
Old 10-12-2014, 02:56 PM
Loyal Fan

OMG I really loved that episode!

First Lord Merton's proposal totally won me over! I wasn't really here nor there on Merton/Isobel so far, but he was so sweet! I officially declare that I ship them now. I want Isobel to say yes!

Then I loved the Robert/Edith moment. It was very sad and I genuinely felt that Robert (even though he doesn't understand Edith one bit) loves her very much.

Sarah Bunting was SO awful. Tom ASKED her to be nice and she promised and Robert did NOTHING to provoke her and yet she kept provoking him again and again! Even after he admitted that the lessons for Daisy obviously were good and successful! What a horrible cow she is!

But as we heard from Tom: He's going to put an end to it and we saw it in the preview already. THANK GOD she is gone!!! I'm buying a whole bottle of champagne for next week and will drink it in celebration!!

But the BEST thing this week was Shrimpy/Rose: Come one, people if that was not TROSY signposting, I don't know what is!!

Rose asked for a blank check to marry someone just for love and that her father will support her when she wants to marry someone no matter where he comes from??

And next week we saw it already that she will meet the oh-so-eligible Atticus Aldridge, son of Lord and Lady Sinderby?? Looks she won't need that blank check, does it?

Let me remind you all what I wrote here, so I can tell you "I told you so" when it is going to happen in the CS. Rose will need that blank check.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:10 PM
Loyal Fan

Ahhhhh!!!! I loved so much of that! JF keeps giving me all of these wonderful Charles and Mary scenes and it's like Christmas or something.

I can't believe he was having dinner with Mary when I had just convinced myself he would be out with Mabel instead. No matter what Charles says, every word/action/tone of his voice gives away that he's not over her.

And that delicious look they shot each other when the bride came in.

They're beautiful. Just beautiful. I want to re-watch their scenes again before I comment further, either here or in the Charles/Mary thread.

As for the rest of it, I missed some parts here and there. The dinner was awesome in its awkwardness, and I'm so glad Mary spoke up when she did (and the look on Tom's face).

Thomas's storyline has all the makings of a heart-breaker.

What did Anna say about Jimmy? I was distracted by something else during that line.

Merton's proposal was indeed very sweet.

I burst out laughing when Isobel told Violet she might want to rephrase her put-down of Susan if she wanted to remain neutral. That was hilarious. Perfect line and perfect delivery.

And I really liked that final scene with Mary/Tom/Robert surveying the land. I think Robert's decision is the right one -- he wants to move forward and accept change, but he wants to make sure he does it in the right way...not grabbing at money as soon as it's offered, but thinking things through more carefully than that. The three of them make a good team.