Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-07-2014, 04:18 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinebright (View Post)
It occurred to me that people who really dislike Blake will continue to see what they want to see rather than what is actually portrayed on screen. The Mary storyline which I enjoy, the truth is it isn't really high-stakes or high drama. Nevertheless I always appreciate some objectivity and fairness in discussing all the characters involved in that plot.
For me the excitement level of the show so far is declining. The scattered plots involving different characters seem unconnected and not that riveting in this episode.
Who wants to remember Patmore's cowardly nephew? Usually I enjoy these little side dramas but this one was too familiar to be interesting.
I really, really hate this new dynamic between Carson and Hughes. Ugh please no! They are fantastic as professional and courteous partners. This new flustering Hughes is an uncomfortable sight for me.

I don't care about Bricker although it's opening up a new dynamic in Cora and Robert's relationship. But where is this headed? I hope somewhere unexpected otherwise all this screen time given to Bricker is another non-drama.

Thomas, Baxter, Molesley have some good dynamics going although Baxter revealing her secret should have concluded last episode. Wasting one scene just for her to reveal that she was under an evil influence and for Cora to announce she wasn't going to fire her (was she really going to fire her?) was not air time well spent.

I did enjoy getting to know Cora afresh and seeing a side of her we rarely see.

The characters who are bringing the drama for me are not given anymore to push their story forward like Edith, Bunting and maybe to a small extent Isobel and Merton.
Even then these characters are sort of secondary to the main story line which I'm losing sight of more and more.
And Bates and Anna, I mean what can I say? It's a pity Fellowes feels he has to give Brendan Coyle a storyline all of his own every season but this plot interests very little! Why? because I believe it's going nowhere. We will find out that the so-called lead will not give any new evidence and we will be left with either a re-tread of his season 2 story line or a plot that will 'remain a mystery'. Who wants to see that?

Something big really needs to happen soon to blow this season open. Much of this episode was too mellow especially when compared to the last few minutes or so. I usually love listening to podcasts of each episode but this episode's plots besides Mary and Edith's plot, didn't have much to say for itself.
Looking forward to next episode. I expect I would enjoy that one more.
I don't dislike him dislike him in a way my entire view of the show revolves around my dislike--I just don't think he's right for Mary ( because he is a proud little man with few scruples ). Julian Ovenden may or may not agree with me about them just not working and I'm 110% Julian Fellowes does.

If he could stay on as the sassy uncle who occasionally sleeps with Thomas I'd be all for that.

Andorra however is right. The bacon lovers or whatever they call themselves see him through rose-tinted glasses, however, I and many others are concerned about his faults. Arguably the ones who don't give a damn about either of the men present are the objective ones.

In any event he was cavalier. And butthurt :p

"And you think I should choose life?"
Evelyn = In Hebrew the meaning of the name Evelyn is: Life.

Last edited by lassothemoon; 10-07-2014 at 04:29 AM
Old 10-07-2014, 07:57 AM
New Fan

Andorra, It's very, very possible to be objective about something regardless of how one feels about the same. For instance, I like Mary and Lord Grantham but clearly see them for what their flaws are. I can dislike Edith but can certainly recognize her good traits. Some are straight up nasty and selfish like Thomas, so while I can discuss him fairly I will not have anything good to say about him lol.....

So it's possible only by detaching emotions and viewing things as dispassionately as possible. One might not succeed thoroughly, after all we are humans but at least you can make your views worth listening to and not too close-minded. I find that conversations flow better that way.

I agree about 'big events' that happen about now in the show. Although I will say for Season 2, it wasn't Matthew's paralysis but the whole theme of Downton at war beginning from the first episode. That theme provided it's own drama all by itself.

Bunting brings drama simply by being contrarian and in conflict with the toffs. Whenever they meet, like it or not, sparks fly. Some don't like her (Robert, Violet, Mary), some like her (Daisy, Rose), some are trying to understand her (Tom). This is good recipe for great dynamics worth watching - upstairs and downstairs separate in their opinions and yet this character moves in both of these worlds. I mean regardless of how you feel about it, when she's on screen, the drowsiness you were fighting (brought on by Bates and Anna lol) will disappear quickly. That is drama.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:08 AM
Extreme Fan

quote: 'Next week, CHARLES BLAKE Y'ALL. And Mabel Fox.'

Yay Lindsay. I saw the trailer, and got excited already.

Just hoping it goes up a notch from this week's.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:47 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Bunting brings drama simply by being contrarian and in conflict with the toffs. Whenever they meet, like it or not, sparks fly. Some don't like her (Robert, Violet, Mary), some like her (Daisy, Rose), some are trying to understand her (Tom). This is good recipe for great dynamics worth watching - upstairs and downstairs separate in their opinions and yet this character moves in both of these worlds. I mean regardless of how you feel about it, when she's on screen, the drowsiness you were fighting (brought on by Bates and Anna lol) will disappear quickly. That is drama.

No, sorry. For me she doesn't add drama, but is just an annoying cow who's insults gets repeated and repeated and repeated. Tom is doing nothing but apologizing for 6 episodes now. First 3 to her, now the last 3 for her.

There is no drama there for me, but only annoyance and she is seriously ruining my enjoyment of the show. I thought I was unable to stay away, but I will probably add to the declining ratings, if she doesn't disappear soon!

And I'm pissed as hell that there is STILL NO LOVE INTEREST for Tom Branson! Still just that boring Sarah Bunting business, when it is clear as daybreak that she will disappear! But JF is dragging it out over episode after episode so it becomes clearer and clearer that the later she will leave, the more rushed a potential new romantic storyline for Tom will get! IF we ever get one! It looks as if he will end yet ANOTHER series without a love interest!

I hate that!!

I'm SO over Mary and her non-descriptive, boring merry men!

I could endure that snoring storyline if only there would be a nice storyline for Tom and I think I really waited long enough! We're now almost 2 series after Sybil died and he has done nothing but sulking and being stalked by awful women!
Old 10-07-2014, 10:34 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireK80 (View Post)
Yes, I agree. But I also think Charles... I don't know how to put it, but I don't think he will immediately fall at Mary's feet just because she has dumped Tony, even if he's still into her.[/QUOTE

Exactly.

TBH, I'd like to see Mary break up with Tony and then realize that maybe she can't have Charles either.

All I ask is for Mary to maintain her dignity. She is just coming off a disappointing experiment with one man and I would hate for her to shame me by showing her hand and interest so soon to another man. Same goes for Charles.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:59 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andorra (View Post)
No, sorry. For me she doesn't add drama, but is just an annoying cow who's insults gets repeated and repeated and repeated. Tom is doing nothing but apologizing for 6 episodes now. First 3 to her, now the last 3 for her.

There is no drama there for me, but only annoyance and she is seriously ruining my enjoyment of the show. I thought I was unable to stay away, but I will probably add to the declining ratings, if she doesn't disappear soon!

And I'm pissed as hell that there is STILL NO LOVE INTEREST for Tom Branson! Still just that boring Sarah Bunting business, when it is clear as daybreak that she will disappear! But JF is dragging it out over episode after episode so it becomes clearer and clearer that the later she will leave, the more rushed a potential new romantic storyline for Tom will get! IF we ever get one! It looks as if he will end yet ANOTHER series without a love interest!

I hate that!!

I'm SO over Mary and her non-descriptive, boring merry men!

I could endure that snoring storyline if only there would be a nice storyline for Tom and I think I really waited long enough! We're now almost 2 series after Sybil died and he has done nothing but sulking and being stalked by awful women!

Yup. This is me too. It's ridiculous. Bunting served her purpose already and should be gone now. It is lather, rinse, repeat with her and it's making Tom look like he has no standards, IMO. Why is he interested in this woman at all? I know they share some opinions but she has been rude to him and to his family. She's unpleasant. If he wants a political conversation with someone who agrees with him, he can go have dinner with Isobel or some guys at the pub. No one is chaining him to that damned table at the house.

And I think it is realistic for Tom to wait a long time to find love again...BUT it has been four years now. There is no excuse for waiting so damned long to introduce someone for him so we can at least get to know her and watch it develop. Fellowes just isn't trying when it comes to Tom's storyline. He's focusing on Mary...and her men are not that interesting and she isn't that interesting with them. How can she be when they just don't sparkle? YMMV.

Also on the Banna Murder Mystery....AGAIN. Repeat, Repeat, Repeat. I mean, come on. Again?! If he can't handle this many characters and story lines, he needs to get help. Most writers do. We're being deprived of the best writing possible because of his ego. There should be some forward motion for Tom's story, and some others, and there is not. Not even some potential REAL love interest with whom we could see a friendship develop, or signs of attraction. Something to lay the groundwork. Sarah is Edna 2.0. Both carried over into the next series....for the first half. When it was totally unnecessary and a drag.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:48 PM
New Fan

Bunting is here to stay. I'm surprised no one noticed that the painting Della Francesca is the one Pamuk and Mary were looking at when he pounced on her.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:56 PM
Moderator Manager

Just a reminder that we have the Rant/Vent thread to air our disappointments about the episode or the show in general. I don't want to turn this thread into nothing but venting out our frustrations about the show. Say something positive and negative then discuss the possibilities that you hope to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireK80 (View Post)
I still enjoy this show immensely, but I agree.
The various storylines do feel disjointed, which is probably inevitable with so many characters and storylines, it's not like they can all be connected. But at least S4 was focused on this "Mary recovers from Matthew death" arc (no matter if you liked it or not), while in s5 no storyline seems central so far.
I also agree that something big needs to happen. I know that many disliked Anna's rape storyline in S4, and indeed it could've been handled better, but the truth is, around episode 5 or 6, when people started to understand something was wrong with Anna, and it was clear Green was going to pay for what he'd done, I couldn't wait to see what would happen next.
Now, I'm not very excited by any of the storylines... but we'll see.
I have to agree with Andorra. I feel like there's something up and they haven't given us that big 'shocker' yet. Whatever it is, we still have 5 episodes to go and the CS. It's either they're really going to give it to us late or it might not be a 'shocker' at all (or it's anti-climactic) so we'll have to wait and see.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:38 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Bunting is here to stay. I'm surprised no one noticed that the painting Della Francesca is the one Pamuk and Mary were looking at when he pounced on her.
It's actually not the same--it's supposed to be the same but they used two different paintings. I'm an occasional art nerd and I noticed they switched them for whatever reason.

"And you think I should choose life?"
Evelyn = In Hebrew the meaning of the name Evelyn is: Life.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:39 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lassothemoon (View Post)
It's actually not the same--it's supposed to be the same but they used two different paintings. I'm an occasional art nerd and I noticed they switched them for whatever reason.
You're absolutely right Lasso! Here's the comparison...

S1 E3 / S5 E2

X
Old 01-15-2015, 01:12 AM
Moderator Manager

for this Sunday's new ep!

Old 01-15-2015, 04:11 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
for this Sunday's new ep!
Right! *gets ready to discuss*
Old 01-15-2015, 05:34 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren60 (View Post)
You're absolutely right Lasso! Here's the comparison...

S1 E3 / S5 E2

X
I watched a few eps of season 1 the other day and noticed Mary shows Pamuke 'the' painting..I am wondering, if Robert was about to lose the estate after losing Cora's moolah, why didn't they sell it then? LOL (I know, I know, tradition and being a caretaker, etc, but sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!)
Old 01-15-2015, 11:21 PM
Moderator Manager

I need to read over the thread again to remember this ep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiemom09121416 (View Post)
I watched a few eps of season 1 the other day and noticed Mary shows Pamuke 'the' painting..I am wondering, if Robert was about to lose the estate after losing Cora's moolah, why didn't they sell it then? LOL (I know, I know, tradition and being a caretaker, etc, but sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!)
Haha, not sure why he didn't think that.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:24 PM
Part-Time Fan

Ah, I've read this thread now and reminded myself!