Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-11-2013, 07:38 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire999 (View Post)
Oh god, I hope not. I figured we were done with Alf once and for all.
Yes, Alfred is probably gone forever. Their conversation felt like closure.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:57 AM
Master Fan

Hopefully he may come back and change his mind about Daisy. I think they are a good pair.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:16 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileycat (View Post)
I love how Sarah isn't a Mary Sue character (Thank you Fellowes). She's not perfect. She has a preconceived assumption that the Crawleys are just like all the other aristos. Privileged snobs to anyone below them. But as Tom proved to her, they aren't. So the little chip she has is unwarranted when it comes to this particular family. He schooled her! But what I find most interesting is that he wanted her to know that. It was important to him that she know his family is kind. And that her prejudice against him is wrong. Now she has a new insight thanks to him and I'm sure that will only benefit their relationship in the future. He knows who he is and it's not based on a class system anymore. If he were to fall in love with Sarah it wouldn't matter that she was a working class girl. It would be because she's independent and strong and kind. And on her part she must grow to understand that too eventually. And she will with the help Tom as her new friend soon to be beau. The Christmas special will be very interesting, indeed.

Isobel should invite Sarah to Tea one day when Tom is there too. Clearly Isobel likes her very much. I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't start match making the two of them. Afterall Tom is like a son to her. She's been so supportive and encouraging him back into politics. Now that there's a candidate spot open up, this must mean he's going to go for it. Why else mention it? He doesn't have the confidence yet but with Sarah's help and if the Crawley family support the idea he might!

Well, I like that she is imperfect but then all of the characters are imperfect. But personally, I did not think she came across as kind. She seemed rather hard.

Ii also like that she is outspoken. Tom did seem to appreciate that, as he gave a little smile as she walked away in the village. A smile of interest/curiosity/admiration? I am not sure.

But that was the last time I saw him smile at her. When she drove away I did not take him looking at her as interest, but rather as musing on their conversation and what he had found himself saying to her: "I believe in people,not types." It is good to know your own mind. But she knew it a bit too well: she seemed close-minded and judgmental.

And IMO she was similar to Edna, in that she tried to shame him about his life choices and did not respect his boundaries. She asked too many personal questions too soon, and did not seem to notice that he was not asking any back.

To me he did not seem to be opening up to her. She asked him questions and he answered honestly, but only to a certain point. He only wanted to share so much and his tone suggested that he had answered her question and that was all he wanted to say on the matter.

As for Isobel liking her very much? Well, she seemed to like that Sarah was outspoken. Isobel is that way herself. But other than that I don't think she even had time to form much of an opinion of her. She made an observation, which was correct and coming from her complimentary. But that was about it.

Finally, I agree he "schooled" her about the family and her preconceptions of them. He defended Cora and himself when she made a snide comment about her and called he himself a "beast of burden." Yes, it was important to him that she know she was wrong about them. But that does not necessarily indicate a romantic interest. It just indicates he does not appreciate someone who barely knows him and his in-laws passing judgment on them, and won't let it slide. He would have said the same thing if Sarah were a man IMO.

Of course she is in the CS so we don't know what will happen there. But by the end of this episode he did not seem interested in her at all. Maybe for a moment he had been, but she made a bad first impression by being confrontational, close-minded and a bit rude. I think for him to warm up to her she would have to have a personality transplant or change her tactics completely.

I did not get a Mary/Blake vibe from them. They clashed at first but there was a frisson of chemistry and each displayed curiosity about the other. It was a bit like Mary and Matthew,e except he was not dumbstruck by her right away.

In this case, I saw a series of rather one-sided interactions in which she pushed and judged and he stood his ground. By the end he seemed fed up with her. I didn't sense any chemistry. It seemed more to me like she had pushed him further into the arms of the family by judging them. Each time he defended them or himself, he realized further that she was wrong about them (and him) and was close-minded to a fault.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Fan Forum Star

I saw it differently obviously. If he was fed up with her we wouldn't seen any pictures that were released (but the scene was cut I can only guess for time constraints) that had him and Sarah walking with Sybbie and smiling aswell as the game they played together. She was quite happy to be there too so it looks as though they've sorted out their differences and there's no ill will from either side. I still consider those canon even if the scene was cut. If he wanted nothing to do with her, he wouldn't have introduced his baby girl to her.

I consider it canon because just like cut script scenes that we've seen recently show that Tom apologized to Sybil after their argument in the garage. Another scene that never saw the light of day but is still significant to Tom's character and his relationship to Sybil.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:02 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos (View Post)
Mary is equally attracted to Tony and Charles. She doesn't prefer one guy over the other. That, and the fact that two out of the three suitors are chasing her when she isn't ready makes me believe she wont choose Tony or Charles. Evelyn will be the one she ends up with, I'm certain of it. The fact that he wasn't in the final shot of 4x08 is a huge clue. And it makes perfect sense if she does - the show will come full circle. He knew Matthew (the others didn't), he was there at one of the hardest parts of her life (the Pamuk affair and the fall out) and behaved like a perfect gentleman and despite his feelings (who has loved her the LONGEST and the most, the other two don't even compare) doesn't push her (which the other two do), he's also her friend (the other two are just flirtations). She's very flattered by the attentions of these two men but I don't think either will be the real deal.

The Tony/Charles thing is just her about rebuilding her life, not about the romance. The former reminds her that she can experience romance again and feel desireable and the latter is about fighting for what's hers (i.e. the estate)and having fun again. It's about coming back to life after Matthew. I know most people think it will be Charles because he helped her with the estate and interacted with George but I think it's to show that he could be a good replacement for Matthew but he wont the endgame. JF is using misdirection here. It's pretty telling that they are both pursuing her when she isn't over Matthew. Evelyn is the only who truly respects her feelings, the other two are behaving like a couple of horny dudes.

Plus Brendan Patricks's tweets confirm my suspicions that Evelyn isn't out of the picture just yet.
LOL I have nothing to say now because you said it all.
All of this.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileycat (View Post)
I saw it differently obviously. If he was fed up with her we wouldn't seen any pictures that were released (but the scene was cut I can only guess for time constraints) that had him and Sarah walking with Sybbie and smiling aswell as the game they played together. She was quite happy to be there too so it looks as though they've sorted out their differences and there's no ill will from either side. I still consider those canon even if the scene was cut. If he wanted nothing to do with her, he wouldn't have introduced his baby girl to her.

I consider it canon because just like cut script scenes that we've seen recently show that Tom apologized to Sybil after their argument in the garage. Another scene that never saw the light of day but is still significant to Tom's character and his relationship to Sybil.

True, sometimes they cut scenes that would have been important to see. But this one seemed particularly important. With the apology scene we were able to see in the next episode that everything was okay with them. This is the last episode of the season, so there is no chance for that until the CS which takes place months later.

So they left it on a sour note, as opposed to Mary and Blake who left it on a good note with him holding the baby.

Of course as I said they might get off on a better footing when they meet in the CS. But it appears from the scene with the books that they have not seen each other since the bazaar.

Also, Edna I believe is in the CS. What is that all about?
Old 11-11-2013, 01:00 PM
New Fan

Green's death

Has anyone considered that Anna might have done it? I've seen speculation on a few other boards, but I almost can't believe Fellows would be that creative. She was in London. She knew that Bates knew, and perhaps wanted to get to Green before Bates did it on his trip to "York"?

Also, not trying to bash, but some of the lines delivered by the actor who plated Jack Ross just fell SO FLAT. Particularly the "slightly better world" one. I'm not sure if it's bad writing or bad acting or just a silt scene, but I cringed.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:08 PM
Part-Time Fan

I hope we haven't seen the last of Evelyn! Seriously I heart him so much.

I've seen speculation that it was Anna. She was certainly in the right city on the right day. It's hard to say. Killing someone would be incredibly out of character for her. Buuuuuuut she's been though hell thanks to this man. So maybe?

Does she actually tell Bates about the demise of Mr. Green? I can't recall.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

#TeamPerseus
Old 11-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucresiare (View Post)
Hopefully he may come back and change his mind about Daisy. I think they are a good pair.
I'm pretty sure Matt Milne won't be returning for season 5. In addition, Alf DID begin to ask himself if perhaps Daisy was the girl for him, and Daisy made it clear to him that although she loved (notice the past tense) him, she wasn't going to settle for being second best. As one of the reviews (can't remember if it was the Guardian or Radio Times) said, Daisy realized that he would "propose to a paper bag if the wind blew one at him". Thankfully Daisy has respect for herself and made the wise decision to cut him off but part with him as a friend. Now hopefully she can focus on her cooking skills so she can rise higher up in the ranks.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:04 PM
Master Fan

What a pity ! They are cute !
On the other hand, I find that couples start to become boring as soon as they are settled and quiet. It is the difficulty/impossibility that make them exciting to watch. The only pairing that really hold my attention at the moment is Jack/Rose and it won't happen neither.

Quote:
as anyone considered that Anna might have done it? I've seen speculation on a few other boards, but I almost can't believe Fellows would be that creative. She was in London. She knew that Bates knew, and perhaps wanted to get to Green before Bates did it on his trip to "York"?
It is a very interesting theory !
Old 11-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshBench (View Post)
Well, I like that she is imperfect but then all of the characters are imperfect. But personally, I did not think she came across as kind. She seemed rather hard.

Ii also like that she is outspoken. Tom did seem to appreciate that, as he gave a little smile as she walked away in the village. A smile of interest/curiosity/admiration? I am not sure.

But that was the last time I saw him smile at her. When she drove away I did not take him looking at her as interest, but rather as musing on their conversation and what he had found himself saying to her: "I believe in people,not types." It is good to know your own mind. But she knew it a bit too well: she seemed close-minded and judgmental.

And IMO she was similar to Edna, in that she tried to shame him about his life choices and did not respect his boundaries. She asked too many personal questions too soon, and did not seem to notice that he was not asking any back.

To me he did not seem to be opening up to her. She asked him questions and he answered honestly, but only to a certain point. He only wanted to share so much and his tone suggested that he had answered her question and that was all he wanted to say on the matter.

As for Isobel liking her very much? Well, she seemed to like that Sarah was outspoken. Isobel is that way herself. But other than that I don't think she even had time to form much of an opinion of her. She made an observation, which was correct and coming from her complimentary. But that was about it.

Finally, I agree he "schooled" her about the family and her preconceptions of them. He defended Cora and himself when she made a snide comment about her and called he himself a "beast of burden." Yes, it was important to him that she know she was wrong about them. But that does not necessarily indicate a romantic interest. It just indicates he does not appreciate someone who barely knows him and his in-laws passing judgment on them, and won't let it slide. He would have said the same thing if Sarah were a man IMO.

Of course she is in the CS so we don't know what will happen there. But by the end of this episode he did not seem interested in her at all. Maybe for a moment he had been, but she made a bad first impression by being confrontational, close-minded and a bit rude. I think for him to warm up to her she would have to have a personality transplant or change her tactics completely.

I did not get a Mary/Blake vibe from them. They clashed at first but there was a frisson of chemistry and each displayed curiosity about the other. It was a bit like Mary and Matthew,e except he was not dumbstruck by her right away.

In this case, I saw a series of rather one-sided interactions in which she pushed and judged and he stood his ground. By the end he seemed fed up with her. I didn't sense any chemistry. It seemed more to me like she had pushed him further into the arms of the family by judging them. Each time he defended them or himself, he realized further that she was wrong about them (and him) and was close-minded to a fault.
I agree entirely with everything here, although the perverse side of me wants to like her, as a character she left me with the overwhelming impression that she was a judgmental, rude, conceited and cynical individual.
To me the scene with Isobel, he showed mild interest, the car scene I totally agree with what Harshbench said above, she basically said that she doesn't have time for aristocrats and he said don't judge a book by it's cover. The setting up of the bazaar had her assuming the Crawley's had him running around like a servant, until he taught her that the whole family were helping to set up, then she made a snarky comment saying "so that's the great Countess of Grantham", at this point I got the impression Tom had got fed up with her continual bitching as he simply said yes it is and walked off unsmiling. She just lacked any charm, like they were trying to give Tom a poor man's Sybil, just by saying she knows her own mind! this is supposed to be a good enough substitute? Because Tom likes his women that way?

God knows in what capacity she'll be in the CS, holding a placard up outside Grantham House shouting class traitor at him probably, with an imaginary friend no doubt!
Old 11-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

Wow okay... That is some hate you've got there.

I thought her introduction to Cora and her obvious surprise with how nice Cora was to her resulted in a revelation in Sarah's eyes about his family. She wasn't bitchy or resentful or snarky. As the pictures with her, Tom holding Sybbie prove, they're quite content with each other's company during the bazaar which means they're on good terms.

She's a strong, independent woman who hasn't had the opportunity yet to see what Crawley family are all about. Give her time and she's understand what Tom had to learn to back when he rejected their ways. It's a learning process. And one that I'm sure with Tom help she'll master.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Part-Time Fan

Okay, I just finished watching the episode and thought it was great fun.

Alfred, Daisy & Ivy are FINALLY done! Hallelujah. Mrs. Patmore's little speech made me cry; as tiresome as the storyline was, even I felt proud of Daisy at that moment.

I was pleased to see Tom away from the family this ep. They shot Allen beautifully in that last bit when Sarah drove away and he was rolling down his sleeves. But can someone tell me why Sarah is portrayed like an Edna No.2? Really, if I were the village idiot I'd say it was Edna in disguise. Unnerving. I don't mind the Tom/Sarah story but I wish the actress would differentiate herself. She even has a similar husky voice.

Gillingham was getting a little crazy in this one. Keep your friends close and enemies closer, eh Tony? I didn't expect he would go so hard on Charles considering they were in the war together. But I just love this stupid competition for Mary -- basically everyone knows they're acting like fools, including them, but they don't care. It's hilarious. The final shot of the episode when Isobel, Rose & Edith were watching them leave was great. Basically summed up my own thoughts in that moment.

About Green - when Mary asked to fire him I was afraid he might come after Anna. I'm relieved he met his end before that could happen. Though I sooo wish he was publicly shamed for his filthy crime before seeing the underside of that bus! I suppose that would've been too damaging for Tony.

Old Lady G was brilliant. "I read the card." Of course you did! Lol!

Isobel + Lord Merton...Why does JF have so many lines about people forgetting that Matthew is dead? Would Lord Merton really have forgotten who Isobel was after that lengthy conversation about Reginald Crawley? Sloppy writing if you ask me. And after all, he was there for Matthew & Mary's wedding -- and did Violet mentioned something about him being Mary's godfather? Erm. I think I would try to remember that my goddaughter's husband passed away if I went up to see her family. I don't know.

Anyhoo. There is so much more to pick apart about this one. Loved it. And bring on the CS!
Old 11-12-2013, 12:29 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos (View Post)
Mary is equally attracted to Tony and Charles. She doesn't prefer one guy over the other. That, and the fact that two out of the three suitors are chasing her when she isn't ready makes me believe she wont choose Tony or Charles. Evelyn will be the one she ends up with, I'm certain of it. The fact that he wasn't in the final shot of 4x08 is a huge clue. And it makes perfect sense if she does - the show will come full circle. He knew Matthew (the others didn't), he was there at one of the hardest parts of her life (the Pamuk affair and the fall out) and behaved like a perfect gentleman and despite his feelings (who has loved her the LONGEST and the most, the other two don't even compare) doesn't push her (which the other two do), he's also her friend (the other two are just flirtations). She's very flattered by the attentions of these two men but I don't think either will be the real deal.
Maybe it's just me (and expecting the worst) but I see her react more with Tony than with Charles. It's still hard to tell because sometimes I see her react differently with Charles. I won't forget that time she cried when she found out Tony was engaged so that's bearing a huge weight on me.

Quote:
The Tony/Charles thing is just her about rebuilding her life, not about the romance. The former reminds her that she can experience romance again and feel desireable and the latter is about fighting for what's hers (i.e. the estate)and having fun again. It's about coming back to life after Matthew. I know most people think it will be Charles because he helped her with the estate and interacted with George but I think it's to show that he could be a good replacement for Matthew but he wont the endgame. JF is using misdirection here. It's pretty telling that they are both pursuing her when she isn't over Matthew. Evelyn is the only who truly respects her feelings, the other two are behaving like a couple of horny dudes.
I'm not a fan of them entirely but I think it's not right to call them horny or judge them for what we perceive them to be (and not what the show projects them to be). Not even at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndieLondon (View Post)
Has anyone considered that Anna might have done it? I've seen speculation on a few other boards, but I almost can't believe Fellows would be that creative. She was in London. She knew that Bates knew, and perhaps wanted to get to Green before Bates did it on his trip to "York"?
I hope not and it's rather OOC for her do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffball7 (View Post)
I agree entirely with everything here, although the perverse side of me wants to like her, as a character she left me with the overwhelming impression that she was a judgmental, rude, conceited and cynical individual.
To me the scene with Isobel, he showed mild interest, the car scene I totally agree with what Harshbench said above, she basically said that she doesn't have time for aristocrats and he said don't judge a book by it's cover. The setting up of the bazaar had her assuming the Crawley's had him running around like a servant, until he taught her that the whole family were helping to set up, then she made a snarky comment saying "so that's the great Countess of Grantham", at this point I got the impression Tom had got fed up with her continual bitching as he simply said yes it is and walked off unsmiling. She just lacked any charm, like they were trying to give Tom a poor man's Sybil, just by saying she knows her own mind! this is supposed to be a good enough substitute? Because Tom likes his women that way?
All this already given what little we still know of her? I'm not being a downer here, I'm still lukewarm, but I'm definitely holding my door open for her. If only the SL were told a little differently and in another circumstance. I just have trouble with her appearing out of the blue and quite conveniently seeing as she's an 'outisider' and what are the chances we'll see her more unless she 1.) works at Downton 2.) is a family friend. She's a teacher, she's obviously good with kids. I won't be surprised if she becomes a nanny in S5. These are all if's but if she is to be Tom's love interest, I still need to see a development and so far I'm not getting any for both sides yet. It all seems like "acquaintance" material for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediedoyle (View Post)
Gillingham was getting a little crazy in this one. Keep your friends close and enemies closer, eh Tony? I didn't expect he would go so hard on Charles considering they were in the war together. But I just love this stupid competition for Mary -- basically everyone knows they're acting like fools, including them, but they don't care. It's hilarious. The final shot of the episode when Isobel, Rose & Edith were watching them leave was great. Basically summed up my own thoughts in that moment.
I thought it was superbly done, hilariously at least. JF's having a jolly time writing this too.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Last edited by L i N d $ @ y; 11-12-2013 at 12:35 AM
Old 11-12-2013, 03:36 AM
Loyal Fan

[QUOTE=L i N d $ @ y;72709601]Maybe it's just me (and expecting the worst) but I see her react more with Tony than with Charles. It's still hard to tell because sometimes I see her react differently with Charles. I won't forget that time she cried when she found out Tony was engaged so that's bearing a huge weight on me.

She really cried?!

Damn...i don't understand it anymore. For me that sounds as if she fell in love with Gillingham then. I can't think of an other reason why she cried when she heard that he's engaged. But that means to me that inside she is ready to move on and that the others have no chance.

Iam still Team Napier but the whole thing confuses me too much. Maybe the Producers intent to confuse us and give us different signs. But i hope this will stop soon.