Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Elite Fan

Dowager Countess of Grantham (Violet Crawley ♔ Maggie Smith) #2 - I'm a woman Mary, I can be as contrary as I choose

Welcome to the 2nd Dowager Countess of Grantham
Violet Crawley | Maggie Smith
Appreciation Thread

source

Supporters:

01. Sofiab
02. DUHsoTK
03. Baileycat
04. Guinevereღ
05. Merveille
06. ღEmrys
07. Tinazazie87
08. L i N d $ @ y
09. Julyhsm
10. *OldHollywoodStarlet*
11. P&B4ever
12. ♥EclipseOfTime♥
13. Ruby_Slippers
14. Nadine
15. Maité
16. captainsid
17. cute_kitten
18. attract your dreams ♥
19. eleonor
20. confessor_meggy
21. Kimberly
22. _gloria
23. Sansa
24. bless your soul
25. Goldenrose
26. EndlessღLove
27. Tracie76
28. ~Cydonia~
29. lisagslack14
30. Countess.
31. teena1013

source

source

Violet Crawley

Violet Crawley (played by Maggie Smith), is Robert's mother and widow of the previous earl. Violet was born in the 1840s to a baronet and has one sister, Roberta, who loaded the guns at the Siege of Lucknow in 1857. Violet also has a niece, called Susan, who is married to the Marquess of Flinthshire, known as Shrimpy. In the 1860s, Violet was pursued by Lord Hepworth of Hatton Park.

Violet symbolises the "old world" and order of the pre-war days and sometimes has difficulty accepting change. When Robert has electricity and telephones installed, she complains to him about the amount of light in the house and the "loud noises" the phone makes; she is even confused by a swivel chair. Initially she is opposed to Matthew's position as heir as he is from the upper middle/professional class and not the aristocracy. She is also shocked at their more modern attitudes but comes to accept Matthew and later his mother, Isobel, into the family. When Matthew announces his engagement to Lavinia, who is from a similar background to Matthew, she broods over the fact that Lavinia was not of a higher social standing.

Violet is portrayed as a matriarchal figure and quick of wit despite her age. She is immensely proud of her son and loves her granddaughters very much. At heart, Violet is a kind woman that has less trouble to accept people for their worth than she wants to admit. When her nephew, James, the heir to Downton, and his son, Patrick, die in the sinking of the Titanic and Matthew appears on the scene, she disapproves of him and favours Mary, preferring that the entail be broken so that Mary can inherit the estate. She is protective of her family and wants the best for them even if her logic is sometimes flawed. When her youngest granddaughter, Sybil, insists on marrying Tom Branson, the family chauffeur, Violet assures Robert that she will "minimise the damage" by making up details about Branson's family to make the marriage more acceptable to their social class. She is also quick to defend Mary when she is threatened by Sir Richard Carlisle after Mary calls off their engagement.

Although Violet has been accused of being unable to communicate across the class divide, she is kind and compassionate to the servants. When it becomes apparent that one of their footmen, William, has been fatally wounded, Violet, backed by Lady Edith and William's father, insist that William is brought back to Downton so he can die in familiar surroundings with friends and family. She also insists that the local vicar wed William and Daisy, the scullery maid/kitchen maid, and attends the ceremony. Later, Daisy feels guilty about it and is caught crying while cleaning the fireplace. Violet goes against social norm to hear Daisy out and comfort her.

Throughout the Great War, Violet remains a strong influence at Downton Abbey but finds her influence under threat. She has a tendency to quarrel with Isobel Crawley, Matthew's mother. As president of the Downton Hospital, Violet had complete control over the hospital and its lead doctor, Richard Clarkson. A trained nurse and physician's widow, Mrs Crawley begins to push the doctor into pursuing more modern medical practices, much to Violet's horror. Violet is also frequently shown at odds with Cora due to their conflicting cultural backgrounds: for example, she protests when Cora agrees to opening some of the rooms as a convalescence unit in response to the large number of war wounded returning home and the two come into conflict over certain issues such as management style.
Maggie Smith

Dame Margaret Natalie "Maggie" Smith, DBE (born 28 December 1934) is a British film, stage and television actress. She made her stage debut in 1952 and has had an extensive, varied career in stage, film and television spanning over sixty years. Smith has appeared in over 50 films and is one of Britain's most recognisable actresses.

She first drew praise for the crime film Nowhere to Go (1958), for which she received her first BAFTA Award nomination. Her 1965 film role as Desdemona, in William Shakespeare's Othello, earned her an Academy Award nomination (the first of her six) and a Golden Globe nomination. Since then Smith has worked consistently in film, television and stage, establishing herself as one of the most respected British actresses. Her most notable films include The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, Travels with My Aunt, Murder by Death, California Suite, Death on the Nile, Evil Under the Sun, A Private Function, A Room with a View, The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne, Gosford Park and The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. She has also appeared in a number of widely popular films, including Clash of the Titans, Hook, both Sister Act films, and as Professor Minerva McGonagall in the Harry Potter film series. She currently stars in the critically acclaimed drama Downton Abbey as Violet Crawley, the Dowager Countess of Grantham, for which she has won a Golden Globe and two consecutive Emmy awards.

She has won numerous awards for her acting in theatre, film and television; including seven BAFTA Awards (five competitive awards and two special awards including the BAFTA Fellowship in 1996), two Academy Awards, three Golden Globes, three Emmy Awards, and a Tony Award. Smith is one of the few actresses to have won the Triple Crown of Acting. In September 2012, she was honoured with the Stratford Shakespeare Festival’s Legacy Award. She accepted the award, presented to her by Christopher Plummer, in a star-studded ceremony at the Fairmont Royal York Hotel.

Smith is the only person to win an Academy Award for playing an Academy Award nominee, Diana Barrie, in 1978's California Suite. She is also one of only five actresses to win Oscars in both lead and supporting categories.

Previous Threads: 1,

Eugenia | tumblr ♔| twitter

Last edited by L i N d $ @ y; 09-08-2013 at 01:20 AM
Old 09-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Moderator Manager

TFTNT Eug!

We need a BAMF OP for Violet/Maggie. But so far, I do like our OP and the pics/gifs used.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Elite Fan

We totally do! I will definitely work on something I will start working on the MM OP this weekend though

Old 09-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Master Fan

TFTNT, Eug!

Just out of curiosity, where did we get the info on Violet? I don't recall seeing any of the dates in the official information that's come from ITV or Jessica Fellowes?

- Captain Frederick Wentworth, Persuasion, Chapter 23
Scarlet|tumblr|Twitter|FF.net
Old 09-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Moderator Manager

Good 'ol Wiki that is most of the time not accurate.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Elite Fan

Idk, I just copied and paste the other OP

Old 09-07-2012, 03:35 AM
Master Fan

TFTNT! And love the title, it's like a carry this thread wherever I post now

RoseBennett
Old 09-07-2012, 04:30 AM
Moderator Manager

Love this pic of Violet from S3. tiara!!!

Old 09-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
tiara!!!
She is a Queen

Old 09-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Master Fan

Awesome lengthy non-spoiler article on Maggie Smith!

Maggie Smith talks the Stratford Shakespeare Festival, Harry Potter and Downton Abbey - thestar.com

She's in Canada on Monday for her Gala!

Old 09-07-2012, 03:21 PM
Elite Fan

OMG A MAGGIE INTERVIEW, FINALLY I AM IN HEAVEN

Thank you SO much Scarlet

Quote:
“You know, I think Downton is the reason that everybody thinks I’m suddenly so popular, because I’ve never really done a television series before.
What ? Oh Maggie you have no idea how loved and popular you are, even before Downton

AND SHE TALKS ABOUT SHIRLEY. I SHIP IT

Quote:
“We had great fun. She was a great shot in the arm for everybody.

“But when she talks about some of her stranger theories, you just listen. She told us in Santa Fe, there were UFOs up in the mountains and the bears were coming down to visit the local Starbucks as a result.

“I asked if they were all drinking green skinny lattes, but she never answered me.”
Omg she kinda sounded like Violet here

Quote:
But I’m not like Shirley MacLaine, who probably believes we were past lovers in another life.”
Maggie ofc you were

Old 09-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Moderator Manager

Thanks for the article, Scarlet! What a great read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessღLove (View Post)
What ? Oh Maggie you have no idea how loved and popular you are, even before Downton
I remember seeing her first on HP SS and knowing that she's this veteran actress and I've seen her on a number of films before (Sister Act was the first one that came to my mind right now).

Old 09-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletCourt (View Post)
Awesome lengthy non-spoiler article on Maggie Smith!

Maggie Smith talks the Stratford Shakespeare Festival, Harry Potter and Downton Abbey - thestar.com

She's in Canada on Monday for her Gala!
YUP! And my brother is going be in the same room as her on Monday! Amazeballz!!!!!! And not only that but she IS coming to Stratford! YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH I WANT TO TAKE WORK OFF NEXT WEEK! GAHHHHH!

Last edited by baileycat; 09-07-2012 at 07:42 PM
Old 09-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileycat (View Post)
YUP! And my brother is going be in the same room as her on Monday! Amazeballz!!!!!! And not only that but she IS coming to Stratford! YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH I WANT TO TAKE WORK OFF NEXT WEEK! GAHHHHH!
OMG! OMG! You should call in sick the day that she's at Stratford. It's only an hour away from you! There will never be an opportunity like it again!

So your brother got into the gala! That's awesome. How'd he manage that? Never mind, is he going to be able to get close enough to her to take pictures?

You have to get him to tell you all and then you can share with us!

Old 09-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
I remember seeing her first on HP SS and knowing that she's this veteran actress
Right ? Me too ! And I was only 8

Quote:
And my brother is going be in the same room as her on Monday!
So I know someone whose brother is going to be in the same room as Dame Maggie...

Bye World