Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Elite Fan

I think she was amazing and she played her character in the most perfect way. Constance is an awful person but sometimes you can't help feeling bad for her or even laugh with her when she makes some of the most horrible comments. Also the character was very complicated with her kids and they life she had.

IMO most actresses couldn't have handled a character like that.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:19 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflygirl (View Post)
I think she was amazing and she played her character in the most perfect way. Constance is an awful person but sometimes you can't help feeling bad for her or even laugh with her when she makes some of the most horrible comments. Also the character was very complicated with her kids and they life she had.

IMO most actresses couldn't have handled a character like that.
I agree. It takes a lot of talent as an actress to portray the cynical attitude that the Constance character seemed to have.

Especially as she slowly revealed more about her children.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
'American Horror Story' star Jessica Lange replaces Glenn Close as Elizabeth Olsen's aunt in 'Therese Raquin'

Jessica Lange has replaced Glenn Close in the role of Madame Raquine in "Therese Raquin", the upcoming adaptation of the 19th century novel/play by Emile Zola that stars Elizabeth Olsen in the title role. The "American Horror Story" actress also joins Tom Felton ("Harry Potter") and "Drive" actor Oscar Isaac - whose casting was first reported by Deadline late last week - in the period film, which has veteran TV helmer Charlie Stratton attached to write and direct.

The book centers on the title character's affair with another man (Isaac) after being forced by her overbearing aunt (Lange) to marry her sickly cousin (Felton) against her wishes.

The novel was first published in 1867, with the theatrical version following several years later.
American Horror Story star Jessica Lange replaces Glenn Close as Elizabeth Olsens aunt in Therese Raquin
Old 06-07-2012, 09:04 AM
Fan Forum Star

That's great for Jessica!
Old 06-08-2012, 12:51 AM
Dedicated Fan

Great news for Jessica..she's a great actress.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:26 AM
Elite Fan

Jessica on the set of her new movie. She looks so different.

And young Jessica:

Old 06-11-2012, 12:22 AM
Fan Forum Star

Wow. Look at how young she is there. And so pretty
Old 06-12-2012, 08:46 AM
Elite Fan

I love the picture with the cat. She looks so young and so beautiful. I remember reading she was one of the hottest actresses when she was young.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Eye on Emmy: Jessica Lange on Playing Horror Story's Hell of a Belle and Season 2′s 'Wild Ride

Constance Langdon is not a neighbor you want to borrow a cup of sugar from, and you most definitely should beware when she comes bearing home-baked gifts (or, for that matter, “sweet breads”). And yet as portrayed by Jessica Lange, who came into FX’s American Horror Story with two Oscars and one Emmy on her mantel, the Harmon family’s oft unwelcome visitor did not repel but regale us.

Thus far, Lange has netted a Screen Actors Guild Award and a Golden Globe for her first venture into series television. Will claiming another Emmy, for Lead Actress in a TV-Movie/Miniseries, make her housewarming complete? Here, she talks about bringing great things to Horror Story’s not-so-good neighbor.

TVLINE | When you first started seeing the American Horror Story scripts, did you suspect the role of Constance could be Emmy-worthy?
I didn’t really know what to think. We were shooting really fast, so I don’t think anybody was thinking about the outcome as much as the process of getting through it. This was the first time I’d ever done this kind of television — a miniseries — and not being all that familiar with the world of TV, I didn’t have any frame of reference. So when the performances started getting recognition, yes, it did kind of surprise me. I mean, I knew how good the writing was, and I knew there was a great deal that I could do with it — it’s a big character with a huge range of emotions.

TVLINE | Given how dicey the subject matter could get, how did you find the humanity amidst of all this surreality?
I just paid attention to creating this character and playing her as absolutely real as I could, in the context of all this other stuff. I really didn’t think in terms of the overall sweep of the piece, or the tone of it.

TVLINE | Because of the intensity of the material, was it a particularly galvanizing experience for the cast?
I can’t speak for the others, but I know that for me there were moments where it was like, ‘Wow, I can’t believe that they’ve written this!’ [Laughs] It’s always a leap of faith. The only thing you can think about is: What are you given to do, and how well do you do it?

TVLINE | Was there a past performance of yours that informed your portrayal of Constance? Perhaps Queen Tamora in Titus? Maggie in TV’s Cat on a Hot Tin Roof?
Certainly there were moments where I felt that there were shades of Tennessee Williams — because she’s Southern and because it was about failed dreams and disappointment, and loneliness. Those themes crop up in a lot of Tennessee’s women — like with Blanche (in A Streetcar Named Desire) or Amanda Wingfield (in The Glass Menagerie). But that’s really where the comparison ends. Constance’s actual behavior has nothing to do with any character I’ve ever played before.

TVLINE | How did doing a TV miniseries further shape you as an actress?
It shifted something profoundly, because this piece forced me to work in a way I’ve never worked before, and that was with complete immediacy — and in some odd way it was very liberating. It forced me to be extremely bold. I couldn’t approach this with any kind of trepidation, and in that way it felt expansive to me.

TVLINE | Would you concede that Constance is a despicable person? Or was she coming from a place of misplaced love?
Certainly you can look at her actions and say that she was horrendous. However, in the playing of it I had to find her humanity, and I did that through her emotion and her capacity for love. The fact that it was so twisted in many ways came out of circumstances rather than the essence of the character. What I kind of loved about her is she did not mince words. Sometimes, like when you hear her speaking to her daughter or in a scene with her son, as a mother [myself] I was like, ‘Oh my God!’ But again, there was something very enjoyable about playing someone who was no-holds-barred.

TVLINE | She certainly stood out in today’s ever-PC climate.
I thought she was kind of a throwback to another time, pre-political correctness, when people said things that would now be seen as shocking. Like some of the dames from the films in the ’30s; hard and rough-talking but honest and forthright. Yes, we had scenes where what she did was reprehensible and criminal, but there was an element to her I found very refreshing.
Eye on Emmy: Jessica Lange on Creating American Horror Story's Constance, Season 2 - TVLine
Old 06-18-2012, 07:01 PM
Loyal Fan

Nice little interview. Thanks for posting.

I really think she has an excellent chance for an Emmy. There's no doubt in my mind she'll at least be nominated. I love Jessica.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Elite Fan

I'm sure she's going to be nominated and she has a great chance of winning but it's going to depend on her competition.