Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-21-2015, 08:10 AM
Elite Fan

We're Back. SAB Season 4B: #411 "To Repel Ghosts" ~ Episode Discussion

#411 "To Repel Ghosts"

Air date: August 24th, 2015

Bay is left heartbroken by her breakup with Emmett. Meanwhile, John and Kathryn get bad financial news; Daphne's friends aren't as crazy about Mingo as she is; Regina researches Eric's ex-wife; and someone has a surprising pregnancy revelation.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:24 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerfan714 (View Post)
#411 "To Repel Ghosts"

Air date: August 24th, 2015

Bay is left heartbroken by her breakup with Emmett. Meanwhile, John and Kathryn get bad financial news; Daphne's friends aren't as crazy about Mingo as she is; Regina researches Eric's ex-wife; and someone has a surprising pregnancy revelation.
Thanks for the new thread, Alyssa!
Old 08-21-2015, 08:33 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear (View Post)
Thanks for the new thread, Alyssa!
Welcome!

May the bitching about new episodes commence!
Old 08-21-2015, 08:41 AM
Addicted Fan

Thanks for opening. Bitching will definitely happen
Old 08-21-2015, 08:16 PM
Part-Time Fan

So excited!

Old 08-22-2015, 07:08 AM
Addicted Fan

I will try and watch this episode on Monday.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:33 PM
Dedicated Fan

haha that gif is just how i feel can't wait for tomorrow!!
Old 08-24-2015, 06:20 PM
Addicted Fan

well it's lily that's pregnant and the baby has down syndrome. i really didn't pay much attention to the regina/eric plot because it doesn't interest me. bay/emmett
Old 08-24-2015, 06:38 PM
Part-Time Fan

It's good that Bay now realizes that her taking the fall for Daphne really soiled things for her and Emmett. Now let's see if she'll take that extra mile and give Emmett a heartfelt apology. I agree with Melody, that this is going to one day hit him and it won't be good. She knows her son. Emmett reaching out to Daphne tells me he really isn't dating anyone and Daphne telling Emmett off was interesting. I don't really care about this Eric/Regina thing nor Daphne and Mingo. It's obvious where this Travis and Bay thing is going. Lily being pregnant with a down syndrome baby, yeah what else is new.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:45 PM
Extreme Fan

Okay so since a lot of time has passed since the spring finale and as I did not re-watch it, I forgot a lot of what happened...

But I really liked this episode. It was nice seeing Daphne stick up for Bay -- although I didn't feel like her and Emmet were really friends anymore, not like they were in the first season, so the conversation was a little odd, IMO.

I liked the scene with Melody and Bay, although I don't think Bay should have vented to Emmett's mom... What did she say to Bay that got her so upset? I wasn't paying attention during that scene, whoops.

I'm glad to see Emmett and Bay are done. Sorry Amy! I hope they don't get back together, but I kind of have a feeling they will eventually. But I'd like to see Bay single for awhile. It was interesting to see Bay and "Bay" talking, it felt very Orphan Black (although what I know of that show comes from Tumblr, haha). And I liked that "Bay" told Bay she's going to be okay, cause she will.

I didn't really care about the Regina storyline, but what was the scene between John and that banker dude about?
Old 08-24-2015, 06:51 PM
Addicted Fan

yeah, they should have had a scene with daphne/emmett reconciling after 4x06 if they wanted me to believe they were friends again. wtf.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:35 PM
Elite Fan

I have to admit, against my better judgment, I thought this was a solid episode. It exceeded my expectations, which were pretty low to be honest. I was geared up to hate this half, but I think they have set up some interesting threads. Amy guessed it would be Down Syndrome so hats off to you, Amy. I guessed Lily might have HIV. Boy I was off. It'll be an interesting topic to explore as it's controversial, the possible aborting a child who is special needs.

Both my parents worked in special education and it's tough. It's not impossible, but it's rough. At the end of the day, these parents of special needs children love their kids. I think people have preconceived notions of what developmentally disabled kids/adults are like. At the end of the day, they're people. And they're some of the best people too.

I must say, Vanessa Marano rocked this episode. I feel some pride having watched her on Gilmore Girls where people frequently criticized her acting. Even when she first started on SAB, people thought she was on the weaker side. But I think she's grown into her own and did some fine work. Bravo to her.

Other than that, I won't get into specifics, but I'd give it a B+.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:47 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailpolishchick2 (View Post)
It's good that Bay now realizes that her taking the fall for Daphne really soiled things for her and Emmett. Now let's see if she'll take that extra mile and give Emmett a heartfelt apology.
Actually, that's what Bay thought BEFORE the other Bay talked to her.

The other Bay explained that Bay and Emmett were always going to break up, even if Bay had moved to LA from the very beginning.

The other Bay convinced our Bay that Bay and Emmett were never meant to be and that she was going to be okay, in spite of it.

Bay is still glad that she took the fall for Daphne. Even though Bay recognizes that it was the beginning of the end for her and Emmett, Bay also realizes that it was what she was meant to do for herself.

Quote:
I agree with Melody, that this is going to one day hit him and it won't be good. She knows her son. Emmett reaching out to Daphne tells me he really isn't dating anyone and Daphne telling Emmett off was interesting.
Yeah. That's the ONE thing that I never want to see repeat itself and obviously we are heading there full steam ahead.

Once again, Emmett gets to make a giant mistake, regret it, and hate himself for years to come, maybe for a lifetime.

Once Emmett realizes that he regrets his decision to break up with Bay, I believe I will bow out of watching Switched at Birth. That's just not something I ever want to see again. Two years was already two years too many for me.

My days as a Switched at Birth fan are numbered. The clock is ticking. It won't be long now.

Quote:
It's obvious where this Travis and Bay thing is going.
Boy, could the writers have been any more obvious about this impending love affair between Bay and Travis?

Bay hates to dance. Travis hates to dance.

Bay keeps an Emmett box. Travis keeps a Mary Beth box.

Bay kissed a stranger to get Emmett out of her head. Travis understood exactly why Bay kissed said stranger.

Travis is going to be there to nurse Bay's broken heart every step of the way. And just like Daphne, Travis will turn on Emmett.

It really sucks for me to be an Emmett fan, because not only do all of the fans hate him for what he did to Bay, but now, all of the characters on Switched at Birth are going to hate Emmett, too.

I could actually ship Bay and Travis.

I STILL love the idea of Bay becoming a baseball wife, just like her mother Kathryn, because I do not believe Bay would have EVER believed that would be her future. And Bay's disbelief is what makes it so very honest and true. It should be Bay's future. It fits. It feels right.

The only thing that ruins it for me is realizing that Emmett is going to be suicidal over losing Bay to Travis. If Emmett could just go on with his freaking life in LA and forget about everyone in KC, then I would love watching Bay and Travis become the show's OTP.

But I don't want Emmett to hurt. He already hurt enough for two years over Bay. That's why I am going to check out of the show, when that happens.

I will agree with fans that Emmett deserves every ounce of misery he is going to feel. Who knows? Maybe he doesn't deserve to keep walking the earth. A lot of fans on Facebook put that out there.

All I know is that, deserved or not, I won't be watching Emmett's pain. I've been there, done that. I am never doing that again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavitaebella (View Post)
Okay so since a lot of time has passed since the spring finale and as I did not re-watch it, I forgot a lot of what happened...

But I really liked this episode. It was nice seeing Daphne stick up for Bay -- although I didn't feel like her and Emmet were really friends anymore, not like they were in the first season, so the conversation was a little odd, IMO.
Yeah. It would have been nice, if we had seen a moment between Daphne and Emmett, perhaps something after Emmett rode back on the plane with Daphne to comfort Bay following her rape.

Emmett should have apologized to Daphne for his original anger at allowing Bay to take the fall. Even a brief apology from Emmett (and a "we're still friends") would have helped this scene to not feel so weird.

As it is, why was Emmett even contacting Daphne?

I had really taken Emmett at his word that he was never going to forgive Daphne, so to see him fumbling to maintain a friendship with Daphne now makes Emmett look so weak.

It's like the writers are determined with every scene to make Emmett look as ineffectual and powerless as possible.

Quote:
I liked the scene with Melody and Bay, although I don't think Bay should have vented to Emmett's mom... What did she say to Bay that got her so upset? I wasn't paying attention during that scene, whoops.
I believe Melody told Bay that she was worried what will happen to Emmett, once this whole breakup hits him. Melody also said that Emmett isn't dating Skye.

Melody added that she believes Bay & Emmett's breakup stems from the fact that Emmett felt disconnected from Bay during his surprise weekend home, BEFORE the rape ever happened.

Quote:
I'm glad to see Emmett and Bay are done. Sorry Amy! I hope they don't get back together, but I kind of have a feeling they will eventually.
No need to apologize to me. I don't need Bay & Emmett to be together at the end of the series. I kind of have a feeling that they won't be.

Bay & Emmett apart feels like a more honest ending for Switched at Birth to me. And I think the writers will go with what feels true at the end of the series. Time will tell.

I definitely didn't want Bay & Emmett getting back together tonight, or even this season, though. That would feel wrong, after all that has happened.

I wanted to see Emmett in love with someone new. But that will never happen. A few weeks ago, Sadie shared with me that these writers like to beat a dead horse, and she is right. I was wrong.

We will get a repeat of Emmett chasing Bay and continually being rejected by her for the remainder of the series. That's the only story these writers want to tell.

When my first love broke up with me, he certainly didn't spend the next two years chasing me. I had to grow up. But I have a feeling Bay will be able to continue living the fairy-tale fantasy of Emmett chasing her, as she spurns his advances, for the rest of her lifetime. (Ah, the magic of TV.)

I'd say that Bay is a lucky girl, but Emmett looks like such a colossal loser by continuing to chase Bay for all eternity that Bay isn't lucky, to have him chasing her. At this point, Emmett will appear so pitiful that he will be a nuisance to Bay.

Maybe Bay can take out a restraining order on Emmett, to keep him away from her and her family. I hope Emmett's friendships with Daphne and Travis didn't mean anything to him, because those are down the toilet now.

Emmett will be lucky to hang onto his mom.

Quote:
But I'd like to see Bay single for awhile. It was interesting to see Bay and "Bay" talking, it felt very Orphan Black (although what I know of that show comes from Tumblr, haha). And I liked that "Bay" told Bay she's going to be okay, cause she will.
That was a VERY cool scene. I LOVED it.

I don't want to see Bay single. That bores me so much.

I am interested in exploring Bay's return to her sexuality with someone new. I want to see how Bay recovers from what Tank did to her.

I'm fascinated by that.

And I have to say that I believe Travis may just be the person to help Bay heal.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:00 PM
Master Fan

It's so depressing to read what's happened to Bay and Emmett. I admit to being a bad fan now because there's just no SAB for me without a good story for them.

|| Hook♥Emma || Rafael♥Jane || Ash♥Michael ||
|| Danny♥Lindsay | Dylan♥Kelly | Alex♥Izzie | Lucky♥Sam | Emett♥Bay ||
| Lucas♥Peyton | Pacey♥Joey | Clark♥Chloe | Jeff♥Ginger | Angel♥Cordy | Charlie♥Kirtsen | Neal♥Sara |

Old 08-24-2015, 08:08 PM
Elite Fan

I did a little when LW tweeted that the multiple Bay's made her think of Buffy.....and then Bay's line to Emmett of "give me time" was totally a line from BTVS. I never thought I'd compare SAB to BTVS, but there you go.