Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-20-2016, 02:04 AM
Dedicated Fan

I could see Bay being insecure as well. I think that would be interesting.

Watching: Longmire Season 4...YES!
Old 01-21-2016, 01:21 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassiek (View Post)
I could see Bay being insecure as well. I think that would be interesting.
It would be interesting.

Every man Bay has ever dated has treated her horribly. Of course, Travis has been a total hothead during his entire run on the show, but maybe the writers will retcon his character and allow Travis to be the perfect boyfriend for Bay.

After the run she has had, she deserves it.

Daphne had Chef Jeff, Jace, and Campbell, but she also had Jorge and Mingo.

Bay deserves to have at least one boyfriend who is a good person and treats her well.

I'd rather watch an insecure Bay with Travis reassuring her and being her constant, than to watch an insecure Travis. (We've seen THAT story way too many times already. It seems like every man Bay dates has been insecure at one point or another.)
Old 01-21-2016, 11:51 AM
Dedicated Fan

Well, let's hope that if they do Travis/Bay that he gets to be her rock and support. We already know that is who he wants to be to her. I'd also think it would be interesting if they did the aneurysm storyline. I think he would be a character that would be interesting to see try to be strong but be completely beside himself at the same time.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:28 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Well, let's hope that if they do Travis/Bay that he gets to be her rock and support. We already know that is who he wants to be to her. I'd also think it would be interesting if they did the aneurysm storyline. I think he would be a character that would be interesting to see try to be strong but be completely beside himself at the same time.
I think the aneurysm storyline would be interesting, too. And I agree that Travis would be completely beside himself, but ugh, I don't want to see that.

I don't like Travis. The thought of watching him be an emotional mess is revolting. I don't empathize with him, and I have no desire to see him break down. It would turn my stomach.

It's weird. The only thing I want to see Travis "do" is be an emotional rock for Bay. That's it.

I don't want to get any closer to Travis's character than that. I see Travis as almost like a robot or droid. I have not believed one single loving emotion that Travis has ever felt.

Other than his anger, everything about Ryan Lane's character feels fake to me. Over the years, I have not believed the sincerity of Travis's feelings for Daphne, Mary Beth, or even Bay.

Travis seemed manipulative to me, in his moments with Bay. He reminds me a lot of Tank, but I guess they are supposed to be polar opposites.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Yeah that is true
Old 01-22-2016, 02:22 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear (View Post)
I think the aneurysm storyline would be interesting, too. And I agree that Travis would be completely beside himself, but ugh, I don't want to see that.

I don't like Travis. The thought of watching him be an emotional mess is revolting. I don't empathize with him, and I have no desire to see him break down. It would turn my stomach.

It's weird. The only thing I want to see Travis "do" is be an emotional rock for Bay. That's it.

I don't want to get any closer to Travis's character than that. I see Travis as almost like a robot or droid. I have not believed one single loving emotion that Travis has ever felt.

Other than his anger, everything about Ryan Lane's character feels fake to me. Over the years, I have not believed the sincerity of Travis's feelings for Daphne, Mary Beth, or even Bay.

Travis seemed manipulative to me, in his moments with Bay. He reminds me a lot of Tank, but I guess they are supposed to be polar opposites.
LOL. Just give Travis a chance. I think Ryan Lane is a good actor. I think maybe you are comparing him to Sean too much. The boys have different styles and different ways to emote. Their characters are also very different. Emmett is much more open while Travis has been emotionally hurt and defensive from the start. I wouldn't say that it makes anything fake, I just think it's harder for his character to be completely open.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
LOL. Just give Travis a chance. I think Ryan Lane is a good actor. I think maybe you are comparing him to Sean too much. The boys have different styles and different ways to emote. Their characters are also very different. Emmett is much more open while Travis has been emotionally hurt and defensive from the start. I wouldn't say that it makes anything fake, I just think it's harder for his character to be completely open.
Yeah that could be part of it too I think he is really good too
Old 01-23-2016, 10:37 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~TwilighterTee~ (View Post)
Yeah that could be part of it too I think he is really good too
What do you like about Travis's character?

Since Carlton had that fundraiser, and Daphne used Travis to make Chef Jeff jealous, I have liked Travis's relationship with John.

Then, I thought that I was going to like Travis as a friend to Emmett. They shared a couple of good scenes and nice chemistry, but the writers neglected that relationship.

I also thought that I was going to like Travis with Mary Beth. Their original moment with the dog tags was quite sweet. But again, the writers neglected their relationship, and it ended up feeling insincere to me.

Daphne always seemed like someone who overwhelmed Travis, in a romantic relationship. He was no match for her confidence and strength.

I wonder how it will be with Bay and Travis. Bay is different from Daphne. Will Bay and Travis be well-matched? Or will one of them overwhelm the other?

Quote:
I believe in Travis's anger, so Ryan Lane's acting isn't at fault.

You are right. Ryan Lane and Sean Berdy do have different styles and different ways to emote. That's true. And their characters are very different. I agree that Travis has been emotionally hurt and was defensive from the start.

With the way the story is written, though, I don't think that we are supposed to believe Travis's feelings for Daphne or Mary Beth ever ran all that deep, at least, not in the way that Emmett's feelings for Bay ran deep.

I see Travis as written to be a shallow character. Because of the abuse and neglect he suffered as a child, Travis seems to have difficulty accessing the imaginative, creative, understanding, emotional part of his brain. In certain ways, Travis allows himself to be brainwashed by others. He often does not think for himself.

Although I am beginning to wonder if Emmett's feelings for Bay ever ran all that deep either. The writing is all over the place on that one. In Seasons 1 and 2, it seemed like Emmett's feelings for Bay had tremendous depth, but maybe that was just Emmett's guilt over cheating. Because in Season 3, Emmett wooed Mandy with the same words he used to woo Bay, and Mandy wasn't even real. Plus, in Season 4, Emmett dropped Bay so quickly it confuses me. Could Emmett's feelings for Bay ever have been all that special, if he ended their relationship that easily? I don't think so. I believe Emmett is just as shallow of a character as Travis. Emmett just had me fooled. Now I am beginning to wonder if Travis was the deep one, all along. Travis's feelings for Bay do seem to run much deeper than anything Emmett ever felt for Bay.

Of course, Travis has a lot to learn about Bay yet. He sees the surface: her beauty, her creativity, her quirkiness, etc. Travis doesn't know about Bay's decision to take the fall for Daphne. He doesn't know about the depths of her selflessness, which are rather scary. And Travis doesn't know about Bay's strong moral stance on most issues. He's sees her as a convicted felon and thinks "that's totally bad ass." Bay doesn't believe Daphne's felony property damage with a crow bar was bad ass, and yet Travis believes Bay is the one who did it, and he totally thinks it is.

Will the writers re-write Bay's character and pretend that things like morality, honesty, and authenticity do not matter to her? (Or will they show Bay to have evolved at least to a place where she isn't so hellbent on those things?) Or will the writers retcon Travis's character so that he IS hellbent on them, too? (Or will they show Travis's growth to where those things begin to matter to him?)

Or will that be a source of conflict for the couple?

Bay didn't like that Tank didn't blow the whistle on the dog fight, until after she found out about it and called his hand on it. That's one of the reasons why Bay said, "I don't know if Tank is ever going to be the person I want him to be."

Bay did like that Emmett turned in Matthew for slashing tires. She told Emmett, "You did the right thing." Whereas, Travis was dead-set against Emmett turning in Matthew. Travis told Emmett that Matthew's choice to frame the hearing kids at Carlton, for slashing the Deaf kids' tires and breaking their car windows, was "pretty bad ass." Travis was impressed and utterly delighted by the idea. He found it entertaining.

Travis doesn't see a problem with bending the truth to surprise your crush with an art show she didn't earn for herself. He doesn't see the problem with cheating on an essay at school.

Whereas Bay didn't even want Emmett to post a picture of himself planking on the internet, because it wasn't "authentic" since Bay and Emmett had "staged" it and asked the guys at the store to act like they weren't there.

Is Travis ready for that kind of moral zeal? Or is Bay going to change, once she starts dating Travis?

I want to give Travis a chance. I like his scenes with John Kennish, especially the recent scenes on the baseball field. I could see Travis as John's son-in-law and understand what a close relationship the two men could share. Heck, the reason John reached out to Travis in the first place is because he was sad that he couldn't share a closer relationship with his own son, Toby.

Both Melody and John seem to enjoy a closeness in their relationships with Travis that is not provided by their relationships with their own children.

But I can't give Travis a chance, because watching him turns my stomach. I don't like his disloyalty to Emmett. At one time, when Travis first became friends with Emmett, I thought that the writers might allow Travis to be cute. But I look back to how pushy and violent Travis has always been, and I can't get past that.

I can forgive Travis for things like wanting to sue John, when he tried to fire him for cussing out a customer at the car wash in Season 1.

But when Travis stood against Bay during the uprising, even as Natalie stood up for her, that bothered me. Travis making a move on Bay bothers me. He knows how deeply Emmett's feelings run for Bay. He knows about what happened with Tank. Why doesn't he help Emmett? His choice to make a move on Bay is extremely disloyal.

Screenshots of a half dozen moments when I disliked Travis follow this paragraph, but there are literally dozens more. Switched at Birth excels at bringing on new guest stars, often to the show's detriment. I'd rather the writers create a new character for Bay to share a romance, than to stick her with this one. I don't want to watch any more scenes with Travis, unless the writers show us something a lot deeper than what we have seen so far. I refuse to root for him.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:45 AM
Dedicated Fan

Over and over again in those scenes we see him trying to do what he thinks is right, so he doesn't get hurt (well except the last scene). The stuff with Carlton was at the start when he was still living with his family and so extraordinarily angry because he was pretty much being neglected at home. He made mistakes, but we've seen him grow pretty much the entire time. We've really only seen a fraction of the abuse and hurt that he's had to live with because he shuts it down really quickly. But then we've seen how he can still have such joy equal to that of a child (when he got to meet the deaf athlete). There are many sides to his character that we've yet to see.

I also think that he can't be blamed for what happened with Bay. They were friends, but not really good friends at the time. And he'd seen Tank around with Bay for awhile (I'm sure) and thought they were friends like he was with Bay. That's a very dangerous thing and a big reason people don't always foresee these types of activities. In fact, I have heard from quite a few boy the last couple of days (there is a hoopla in dorms regarding sexual assault right now) that they wouldn't do it so they don't see how another guy could and none of their friends would do it because they wouldn't be friends with that type of guy. Over and over again I have to explain that you won't know who would do it until after the action is done. Travis didn't think for one moment that Tank would go in there and make a move on Bay. That wasn't because he didn't care, if he had known what would have happened, he sure as hell would have been there.

Also, I don't believe Travis owes Emmett any loyalty. I've said this before and I'll say it again. Emmett has moved on so Bay is fair game if she wants to be with him. I have seen this happen in friendships around me and the person that throws a fit because they gave up the other person and then didn't get them ultimately loses and makes themselves look terrible in the process because they get vindictive. They don't have any right to say that no one else can date that person. They also have no right to reserve that person for the rest of their life. Travis did let Emmett know that he liked Bay and that was way more respect than he even needed to pay Emmett. Emmett broke up with Bay and moved on with Skye. Bay can now date anyone she chooses. Hell, if Emmett's father was single she could date him (although that would be gross), it would be within her right.

As for Bay's moral zeal, I think Travis could balance her out. They would butt heads and I think later balance. Although, she is already easing on some of her moral grounds. She talked about how sex was such a big deal (when she thought Ty cheated on her) and then she goes and sleeps with Garrett. I think she's starting to become more adult with her views too.

Do I think Travis/Bay is going to be perfect? No because I'm still not sure they're even going to happen. I also am not going to jump on their ship until I see them actually together.

Last edited by Kassiek; 01-24-2016 at 12:18 AM
Old 01-23-2016, 09:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

I agree
Old 01-24-2016, 12:29 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Over and over again in those scenes we see him trying to do what he thinks is right, so he doesn't get hurt (well except the last scene).
I agree that Travis is trying to do the right thing. The problem is that his definition of the right thing is the opposite of Bay's definition of the right thing.

Perhaps that is the reason for some of Travis's attraction to Bay. He may sense that she will help him grow in ways he needs.

Quote:
The stuff with Carlton was at the start when he was still living with his family and so extraordinarily angry because he was pretty much being neglected at home. He made mistakes, but we've seen him grow pretty much the entire time. We've really only seen a fraction of the abuse and hurt that he's had to live with because he shuts it down really quickly. But then we've seen how he can still have such joy equal to that of a child (when he got to meet the deaf athlete). There are many sides to his character that we've yet to see.
I agree that there are many sides to Travis's character and probably still more sides that the writers could show us. They've barely begun to scratch the surface. I'm not interested in following Travis's character, though. I am turned off by him. I wish that I wasn't. I really do. The show is so much more enjoyable when I can follow the story of characters I love.

I keep going back to Travis's scenes with John Kennish, because I do like Travis in those scenes. I like DW Moffett in general, and I enjoy watching John, as he sees himself in Travis. I also like Travis's scenes with Emmett. They have a nice onscreen chemistry. I like boys. They're fun! When those two hang out together, it reminds me how much I would love to have a son.

Something strange happened to my growing appreciation of Travis, though, during the time he dated Mary Beth on the show. The scene with the dog tags was sweet, but after that moment, I did not enjoy them as a couple. It felt as though Mary Beth patronized Travis. She was trying to be respectful and considerate of him, but something strange was happening between them. I remember when Travis lied to Melody about his reasons for skipping his college interview, and Mary Beth accidentally blew his cover. I remember when Travis lied about knowing how to dance, and Mary Beth discovered that, too. We never saw Travis and Mary Beth kissing passionately, although we had seen Travis making out with a college girl at the beginning of Season 2. And Travis kissed Daphne passionately later in Season 2. Plus, Travis shut down Mary Beth when she tried to talk to him about his family.

I stopped liking Travis while he was dating Mary Beth. He seemed like a character without courage. He seemed weak. When I couple that feeling with his stance against Bay at Carlton, with his desire to be a vigilante after Daphne was attacked, with his decision to not stand by Emmett during this breakup with Bay, ugh, I cannot stand him. Bleh.

Travis sure was quick to tell Emmett that you don't narc on your friends when Matthew was slashing tires and framing the hearing kids, but he cannot be loyal to a friend who opened up his home to him during a true time of need?

Emmett did not have to share his home or his mother with Travis. He volunteered to do so. If a girlfriend did that for me, and I watched her mourn for two years over a boy, I sure as hell wouldn't step in and try to make a move on the boy, as soon as she broke up with him.

That's just selfish. And when feelings run as deep as Bay's for Emmett, it's setting yourself up for a world of hurt, too.

Quote:
I also think that he can't be blamed for what happened with Bay. They were friends, but not really good friends at the time. And he'd seen Tank around with Bay for awhile (I'm sure) and thought they were friends like he was with Bay. That's a very dangerous thing and a big reason people don't always foresee these types of activities. In fact, I have heard from quite a few boy the last couple of days (there is a hoopla in dorms regarding sexual assault right now) that they wouldn't do it so they don't see how another guy could and none of their friends would do it because they wouldn't be friends with that type of guy. Over and over again I have to explain that you won't know who would do it until after the action is done. Travis didn't think for one moment that Tank would go in there and make a move on Bay. That wasn't because he didn't care, if he had known what would have happened, he sure as hell would have been there.
Maybe it's a generational thing. Maybe teens today are more naive than my generation. I was taught that if a drunk girl goes to a private bedroom with a drunk guy, then count on something happening. I find it hard to believe Travis could think differently, but maybe I am out of touch with this generation.

The guy that Travis slugged in his dorm said that everyone knew Bay and Tank were going to hook up that night. Travis knew that Tank was Bay's ex-boyfriend. Why would Travis tell Tank to take Bay to a private bedroom? Is Travis that naive? If Travis had been any kind of friend to Emmett, he would have been asking Bay what she was doing flirting with Tank and letting him put his hands all over her, while her boyfriend is away.

Travis himself told Melody he felt responsible. Don't forget he is the one who brought alcohol to the party, too. Travis is a jerk and a dud, if you ask me, but if that's who Bay wants to hook up with next, then she should go for it.

Quote:
Also, I don't believe Travis owes Emmett any loyalty. I've said this before and I'll say it again. Emmett has moved on so Bay is fair game if she wants to be with him. I have seen this happen in friendships around me and the person that throws a fit because they gave up the other person and then didn't get them ultimately loses and makes themselves look terrible in the process because they get vindictive. They don't have any right to say that no one else can date that person. They also have no right to reserve that person for the rest of their life. Travis did let Emmett know that he liked Bay and that was way more respect than he even needed to pay Emmett. Emmett broke up with Bay and moved on with Skye. Bay can now date anyone she chooses. Hell, if Emmett's father was single she could date him (although that would be gross), it would be within her right.
I agree that Bay has the right to date anyone, even Emmett's father. But Emmett's father doesn't have the right to date Bay, not if he loves Emmett.

And Travis doesn't have the right to date Bay, either, if he cares about Emmett.

Emmett never said no one else can date Bay, as you suggest. I think Emmett would have been fine with Bay dating Garrett (or anyone else). He may have even been a bit impressed, if he had discovered that she did.

Emmett asked Travis not to date Bay.

If I opened up my home to someone for two years and treated that person like a sibling, and then, that person made a move on the love of my life right after we broke up, I would be pissed. If you factor in the fact that it is a confusing time, because the breakup is coming on the heels of an incident where I felt betrayed by the love of my life, then all hell would be breaking loose.

I'm surprised Emmett listened to Melody so readily and put Bay first. I still hope Emmett cuts off Travis for his selfishness. And I hope Travis learns loyalty.

Quote:
As for Bay's moral zeal, I think Travis could balance her out. They would butt heads and I think later balance. Although, she is already easing on some of her more grounds. She talked about how sex was such a big deal (when she thought Ty cheated on her) and then she goes and sleeps with Garrett. I think she's starting to become more adult with her views too.
But Bay and Tank didn't balance each other out, and Tank's morals were a heck of a lot better than Travis's morals are, and Tank still wasn't good enough for Bay.

I agree that Bay is loosening up about sex. That's one of the reasons I asked if you believe the writers will show Bay to not be so hellbent on those things. I still chuckle at the juxtaposition of John and Kathryn contemplating swinging with another couple at the same moment Bay is visiting Emmett at Chrome and discussing Tank's immorality in not putting a stop to the dog fight.

Bay thinks she knows her parents and bases her morals off of their upbringing, yet Bay doesn't have a clue as to who her parents truly are. Does anyone ever, though?

I do believe Bay will loosen up about sex, even more. Garrett is good for Bay. The situation with Tank was good for Bay. She is learning what sex means and what it doesn't mean.

But I am not so sure Bay will ever get over her need for authenticity. Travis needs to get with the program quickly, if he wants to be with Bay. She is not going to tolerate someone doing things for her, especially not behind her back.

Travis's decision to rent the space and give Bay a fake art opening is less worrisome to me than his decision to tell Garrett about Tank, in a move to keep Garrett from pursuing Bay. Who Bay should date is Bay's choice to make, not Travis's choice.

Trying to make that choice for Bay is a red flag and such an invasion of Bay's privacy. Can you imagine Bay telling women whom she didn't want to date Travis that he had been raped? That's wrong.

Quote:
Do I think Travis/Bay is going to be perfect? No because I'm still not sure they're even going to happen. I also am not going to jump on their ship until I see them actually together.
The only thing I like about Bay and Travis as a romantic couple is that it is could allow Daphne and Emmett to unite as a romantic couple.

I don't believe the writers will ever go there, even if they do pair Bay and Travis together, but I would love to see Daphne and Emmett finally have a chance at love.

Daphne has been floundering in every relationship with every man, all along. Maybe it is because Emmett is the one for her.

Remember these moments? The picture quality is poor, but these are all of the moments, compressed into one three-minute short, that tell me Daphne and Emmett share a real love.

Watching these moments, I don't believe it has to be limited to friendship.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:57 PM
Master Fan

I've been giving Bay & Travis's romantic relationship a lot of thought lately. Do most people believe the writers will go there, with these two, and explore a relationship? I think that they will.

Earlier today, I was thinking about the possibility of Travis being insecure with Bay. His confidence seems to be on a true upswing, and he may not show any insecurity at all. He was awkward around Mary Beth and took forever to kiss her (despite being such a good kisser, according to Daphne, and now Bay). Plus, Travis was insecure of his dancing ability and his deafness around Mary Beth. He thought he could not compete with hearing guys for Mary Beth's affection, at the time.

But maybe Travis has worked through all of that now. He is so adamant that Bay is the love of his life, and he didn't have any insecurity kissing her, despite her protests. Perhaps Travis never had real feelings for Mary Beth, maybe that is what caused his insecurites. And now that Travis does have them for Bay, all of his insecurities are gone.

Yet, Travis only has two male friends (Emmett and Garrett), and both of them have had sex with Bay. Will that affect Travis? Both of them have a lot more experience with women, than Travis, too, but maybe the writers will not explore that. Perhaps Travis doesn't have any insecurities, when it comes to measuring what he has to offer Bay. He may know that he is head and shoulders better than Emmett or Garrett.

I wonder if Travis would be insecure of Bay's friendship with Ty, if he should return?

I'm thinking Travis won't be insecure at all for some reason, not around any of Bay's previous boyfriends. I am thinking Travis will feel like he is boss, because loving Bay gives him such a confidence boost.

It will be interesting to see, though. I wonder if Travis will keep trying to do things for Bay, or if he will chill and enjoy her company.

I also wonder how college and baseball will continue to go for Travis. Do you all think he will have an easy time with both?

If the writers choose to go there, this could be a huge season for Travis. We could see him finally work through his issues with his own family. We could see him grow closer to Melody and be a big brother to the new twins. He could be a success in college, with Kathryn's continued tutoring help. He could make it into the major leagues, with John's continued coaching. The sky might be the limit for Travis this season.

Garrett will probably be happy for Travis and Bay. Maybe Emmett will come around and give Travis his support, too. Travis is his brother, after all. Emmett should want what is best for him.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:21 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
I've been giving Bay & Travis's romantic relationship a lot of thought lately. Do most people believe the writers will go there, with these two, and explore a relationship? I think that they will.

Earlier today, I was thinking about the possibility of Travis being insecure with Bay. His confidence seems to be on a true upswing, and he may not show any insecurity at all. He was awkward around Mary Beth and took forever to kiss her (despite being such a good kisser, according to Daphne, and now Bay). Plus, Travis was insecure of his dancing ability and his deafness around Mary Beth. He thought he could not compete with hearing guys for Mary Beth's affection, at the time.

But maybe Travis has worked through all of that now. He is so adamant that Bay is the love of his life, and he didn't have any insecurity kissing her, despite her protests. Perhaps Travis never had real feelings for Mary Beth, maybe that is what caused his insecurites. And now that Travis does have them for Bay, all of his insecurities are gone.

Yet, Travis only has two male friends (Emmett and Garrett), and both of them have had sex with Bay. Will that affect Travis? Both of them have a lot more experience with women, than Travis, too, but maybe the writers will not explore that. Perhaps Travis doesn't have any insecurities, when it comes to measuring what he has to offer Bay. He may know that he is head and shoulders better than Emmett or Garrett.

I wonder if Travis would be insecure of Bay's friendship with Ty, if he should return?

I'm thinking Travis won't be insecure at all for some reason, not around any of Bay's previous boyfriends. I am thinking Travis will feel like he is boss, because loving Bay gives him such a confidence boost.

It will be interesting to see, though. I wonder if Travis will keep trying to do things for Bay, or if he will chill and enjoy her company.

I also wonder how college and baseball will continue to go for Travis. Do you all think he will have an easy time with both?

If the writers choose to go there, this could be a huge season for Travis. We could see him finally work through his issues with his own family. We could see him grow closer to Melody and be a big brother to the new twins. He could be a success in college, with Kathryn's continued tutoring help. He could make it into the major leagues, with John's continued coaching. The sky might be the limit for Travis this season.

Garrett will probably be happy for Travis and Bay. Maybe Emmett will come around and give Travis his support, too. Travis is his brother, after all. Emmett should want what is best for him.
Woah...this comment is such a drastic turnaround from how you normally talk about Travis. I don't really think Travis would be insecure around her ex boyfriends. It's hard to guess of course, but his insecurities were really about not having a place or a family and feeling alienated because he is Deaf. Bay and her family accepted him and gave him a place as did Melody. He then is able to open up to them. When he opens up and is honest with people, he is very secure with who he is. It's like he has to trust the person to let them know how he really feels. I don't think he ever trusted MB, she really had to force her way into his life. With Bay and her family he is able to talk about his insecurities and really listen to feedback. I remember when Travis was having trouble with English and he went to John and Kathryn (although he struggled for awhile with it anyway).

Old 01-31-2016, 04:18 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Woah...this comment is such a drastic turnaround from how you normally talk about Travis.
How is it a turnaround? Do you mean that this post is more positive than I usually am, in regards to Travis's character?

In this post, I am talking about how I believe Travis sees himself. In my other posts, I am usually talking about how I see Travis.

Quote:
I don't really think Travis would be insecure around her ex boyfriends.
Maybe insecure is the wrong word. Maybe uncomfortable is a better word, for this situation. (Although I could see Travis being insecure, too.)

Right now, I'm thinking about my two best friends. Their names are Vicki and Vanessa, and we go to movies together, hang out at each other's homes, and meet in restaurants, just like Travis and his two buddies, Emmett and Garrett, do.

If I began dating a man, and I knew that both Vicki and Vanessa had sex with him, especially in the last few months, then that would feel weird to me. None of us have ever dated the same people.

These days, do most young people do that, date their best friends' past lovers? Maybe it's a generational thing, but my friends and I have never done that. I've purposefully avoided dating my best friend's exes, even if I found them cute.

Once my boyfriend and I visited my best friend Vicki, at her house. She had a younger brother who was still in elementary school, and while Vicki and I chatted and caught up with each other, my boyfriend went out in the backyard to play catch with her little brother. I thought my boyfriend was a total dreamboat for doing that. But that moment would have had an entirely different feel to it, if I knew that my boyfriend had slept with my best friend, before he dated me. If that was the case, then that moment would have made me feel jealous. I would have felt that his playing catch with her little brother was more about his feelings for her, than his feelings for me.

And as weird as it would be if my two best friends had previously slept with my boyfriend, it would be even weirder if my sister Sandy had. Our family gets together for holidays. Knowing that my sister had slept with my boyfriend would make Easter, the Fourth of July, Thanksgiving, and Christmas so awkward. We take family vacations together and share hotel suites. Again, awkward. I'm not a terribly insecure person, but if I knew my boyfriend had a "Bay and Emmett" type of relationship with my sister, before he started dating me, then yeah, holidays and family vacations would be difficult for me.

I wonder how Bledsoe holidays and family vacations will be for Travis, now, if he and Bay become a true couple.

Quote:
It's hard to guess of course, but his insecurities were really about not having a place or a family and feeling alienated because he is Deaf. Bay and her family accepted him and gave him a place as did Melody. He then is able to open up to them. When he opens up and is honest with people, he is very secure with who he is. It's like he has to trust the person to let them know how he really feels. I don't think he ever trusted MB, she really had to force her way into his life. With Bay and her family he is able to talk about his insecurities and really listen to feedback. I remember when Travis was having trouble with English and he went to John and Kathryn (although he struggled for awhile with it anyway).
I do feel like Travis has been able to build trust with the Bledsoes and the Kennishes, but I feel his insecurities stem from something a lot deeper than not having a home and being Deaf. As a child, I think Travis suffered years of neglect and abuse at the hands of his family, and he said that he suffered years of bullying in hearing schools, before he found Carlton. Those things have a way of making people deeply insecure. I wouldn't think the writing is realistic, if Travis has been healed of his insecurities, simply because Melody gave him a place to stay and John has been a mentor.

* I think Travis is still struggling with his English. Kathryn seemed quite frustrated with him, while she was trying to tutor him. It didn't seem like an easy fix, to me. And I thought John was the one that forced that information out of Travis, rather than Travis coming to the Kennishes for help.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:25 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
How is it a turnaround? Do you mean that this post is more positive than I usually am, in regards to Travis's character?

I wonder how Bledsoe holidays and family vacations will be for Travis, now, if he and Bay become a true couple.

* I think Travis is still struggling with his English. Kathryn seemed quite frustrated with him, while she was trying to tutor him. It didn't seem like an easy fix, to me. And I thought John was the one that forced that information out of Travis, rather than Travis coming to the Kennishes for help.
Yeah that's what I meant, sorry I'm half distracted while responded and doing a terrible job with discussions today but if I want to get in them before they fade away I only have time right now...lol.

As for family vacations, do they actually take them? My family has never taken a family vacation. It's always going to a family reunion if there is one or not going anywhere. Not every family has them so I think that may be a moot point.

As for the final one, I found the scene on YouTube again to make sure before I talked about it (link here). John is talking coaching with Kathryn in the kitchen and Travis comes over. He then asks for John's help with his paper (no pushing involved) and then John says that Kathryn could do it not him. I also don't think it should be a easy fix. I thought the way the scenes played out with Travis being frustrated and Kathryn being frustrated back is very true to the situation.