Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-07-2015, 06:50 PM
Part-Time Fan

The Thanksgiving Question Game Thread #1: Happy Thanksgiving 2015!

My favorite Thanksgiving food is stuffing.

This thread is dedicated to Thanksgiving. We can swap recipes, discuss plans, or how you celebrate Thanksgiving, whether you have a special tradition. It can also have Thanksgiving games. We can add part of a Thanksgiving memory and you add onto it with your own memory. Or you can just ask simple questions, like what you love most about this holiday, the food, the family etc.

Last edited by nailpolishchick2; 11-07-2015 at 07:02 PM
Old 11-08-2015, 12:57 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailpolishchick2 (View Post)
My favorite Thanksgiving food is stuffing.

This thread is dedicated to Thanksgiving. We can swap recipes, discuss plans, or how you celebrate Thanksgiving, whether you have a special tradition. It can also have Thanksgiving games. We can add part of a Thanksgiving memory and you add onto it with your own memory. Or you can just ask simple questions, like what you love most about this holiday, the food, the family etc.
Thanks for the new thread, Sadie!

This thread reminds me that I have ALWAYS wished Switched at Birth would include a Thanksgiving Day episode. Those moments have been some of my favorite in so many TV shows: thirtysomething, The Waltons, Friends, The Carrie Diaries, The Sopranos, Ally McBeal, ER, Party of Five, Life Goes On, and more.

Even with all of the changes in tone and story, Switched at Birth is still very much a family drama. I had hoped the show would lean more towards a love story for Bay & Emmett, but it hasn't. The family is the most important feature of Switched at Birth, and everyone is right when they remind me that it always will be. So why have we not seen a Thanksgiving episode yet? We need one! I love the Christmas episode from last winter.

My sister is definitely the cook in the family. She is 17 years older than me, and she hosts most of our holiday meals in her home. She lives in her dream home on the side of a mountain in the Blue Ridge of North Carolina. It's beautiful.

My favorite Thanksgiving food is my sister's squash casserole. It is SO good!

Here's the recipe:
Squash Casserole

2—4 pounds yellow squash
½ sweet onion
1 can cream of chicken soup
8 ounces sour cream
2-3 Tablespoons of pimento or canned red pepper
2-3 carrots shredded
¾-1 stick butter
2 cups of Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing mix
  1. Cook squash in water on stove until soft (usually around 15-20 minutes). If you like the onions really cooked you can cook them with squash.
  2. Strain squash in a colander when through.
  3. Add ½ of the butter to squash
  4. In a large casserole dish mix together soup, sour cream, pimento, onions (unless cooked with squash), and carrots.
  5. Add squash to above ingredients and mix well.
  6. Melt rest of butter in a skillet. Add stuffing mix to butter and mix well over low heat.
  7. Add half the stuffing mix and butter to squash mixture and stir well.
  8. Sprinkle rest of stuffing mix and butter over the casserole.
  9. Cook uncovered for 30-40 minutes at 350 in a preheated oven.
  10. Serve and enjoy!
I also love my sister's hot crab meat dip. It's yummy, too! Here's the recipe:
Hot Crab Dip

1 can fancy lump crabmeat
1/4 c finely chopped onion
8 oz cream cheese
1TB Worcestershire Sauce
Cayenne Pepper to taste
  1. Mix in a saucepan over low heat.
  2. Serve with Triscuits, toasted English muffins (cut into quarters), or slices of French bread.
  3. For a dinner party, double the recipe and serve in a chafing dish.
I love my sister's shrimp dip, served with potato chips or crackers, too. I don't have the recipe for that one, though. I will have to ask her.

My sister's pumpkin log cake is a great dessert. It's just the right amount of sweet for me.

Here's the recipe:
Pumpkin Log Cake

CAKE INGREDIENTS

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup pumpkin
Sift together and add to above ingredients
¾ cup plain flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup finely chopped pecans
  1. Mix together the above ingredients, except for the pecans.
  2. Spread mixture in pan and sprinkle with pecans.
  3. Bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
  4. Turn cake onto a linen tea towel dusted with powdered sugar.
  5. Remove wax paper and roll lengthwise with towel.
  6. Put in refrigerator to cool.

Pumpkin Log Filling

FILLING INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons melted butter
8-ounce package cream cheese (softened)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1—1 ½ cups of confectionary sugar
  1. Unroll cooled cake.
  2. Spread filling on cake.
  3. Roll back up tightly, without the towel.
  4. Cut in half.
  5. Wrap in plastic wrap. Store in refrigerator. Enjoy!
Old 11-08-2015, 04:34 PM
Part-Time Fan

That crab dip sounds delicious! I like pumpkin pie in small doses. I tend to make a cheeseball around this time. I usually make it a snowman I also hope for a Thanksgiving episode. You aren't the only one who wishes they'd focus less on the family and more on Bemmett!

1 pkg. (8 oz.) KRAFT Shredded Cheddar Cheese

1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives

1/4 cup PLANTERS Slivered Almonds, toasted

1/4 tsp. ground red pepper (cayenne)

1/4 cup KRAFT Grated Parmesan Cheese

peppercorns

1 baby carrot

Mix first 5 ingredients until blended. Refrigerate 1 hour.

Divide cheese mixture into 3 different-size balls (1 small, 1 medium and 1 large). Coat with Parmesan. Arrange in line on serving plate to resemble a snowman lying down. (Largest ball should be at bottom of plate for the snowman's base, and the smallest ball should be at the top for the snowman's head.)

Decorate with remaining ingredients

I'm a nut for Pecan pie! YUMO!
Old 11-09-2015, 02:53 AM
Dedicated Fan

You guys are making me miss Thanksgiving so much! I haven't had one with my family since 2011 seeing as I'm almost always abroad during November. I just love sitting around with family, getting in the pool, talking about life, eating my aunt's amazing spinach dip, digging into the pounds of mashed potatoes we would have, and eating pumpkin pie!

Watching: Longmire Season 4...YES!
Old 11-10-2015, 12:08 AM
Part-Time Fan

Mashed potatoes! Now I have to hunt for my favorite recipe for it!
Old 11-23-2015, 04:58 AM
Part-Time Fan

What's your favorite Thanksgiving memory?
Old 11-25-2015, 12:23 AM
Dedicated Fan

I don't have a specific favorite Thanksgiving memory, but I love being around the table with so much food and my extended family! These memories, although ordinary, are even more special now that many of my aunts and uncles are getting old and having health problems. I especially loved being called into the kitchen to make the mashed potatoes!

What about you guys?

Watching: Longmire Season 4...YES!
Old 11-25-2015, 05:24 PM
Elite Fan

I can't pinpoint mine. I do know it was probably ten years ago. We used to have Thanksgiving at my house, and I remember one Thanksgiving being particularly nice.

BTW, I made my first ever pumpkin pie....by myself My husband was there if I needed assistance, but it was pretty much all me.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:07 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerfan714 (View Post)
I can't pinpoint mine. I do know it was probably ten years ago. We used to have Thanksgiving at my house, and I remember one Thanksgiving being particularly nice.

BTW, I made my first ever pumpkin pie....by myself My husband was there if I needed assistance, but it was pretty much all me.
Yum!

Have people been enjoying hearty winter fare? Anyone have a favorite recipe to share, before we move into spring?

Eve and I have enjoyed a lot of soup this winter. A few times I have made grilled cheese sandwiches, and they've been so good.

We've had a lot of Italian food, too (pizza, chicken parmesan, spaghetti, etc.).

As spring approaches, we usually eat more fruits and vegetables.