Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Elite Fan

Switched At Birth Ratings Thread #2: We hope our ratings continue to soar

New thread.

Quote:
we just see so little of emmett since it happened that it's hard for me to really connect it all together and appreciate any character development. and then they go and have him say what he did to bay in 2x10 and i'm confused again.

and bay and emmett have never really had a decent talk about the whole thing which still makes me mad.
Exactly to both points. When you do a storyline like this, it doesn’t help the ratings. And it continues not to help when you don’t at least let them have more than one conversation.

Quote:
That makes sense. I really hope it does well this summer. I wish ABC Family was more consistent with promotion. It seems the network did some great things with promotion both before and immediately after Switched at Birth premiered, and then, nothing. I so hope we get good ratings this summer. This show means a lot to me.
It’s a bit worrisome to me that they have a lot of shows going on. They have their comedies and four dramas airing in summer; Pretty Little Liars, Switched at Birth, The Fosters, and Twisted. Not to mention Melissa and Joey and Baby Daddy. They aren’t a great network for multi-promotion. I feel if other shows get their attention, a show like SAB might fall through the cracks.

Quote:
I never saw those interviews, and I agree with you. I do not like that glib attitude either. It's disrespectful to characters I love.
At some point, I need to brainstorm some other directions Emmett & Bay's story could have gone (other than cheating). I would enjoy comparing and contrasting other storylines with what Lizzy Weiss chose.

The cheating storyline has Emmett making a mistake that costs him what is most precious to him (his relationship with Bay). It forces Emmett to re-evaluate himself. He is not better than Liam the Loser or Toby the Poser or Wilke-the-worse. He can no longer see himself as superior. The cheating makes Emmett an underdog in achieving his goal of winning Bay's trust. And most compelling of all, Emmett's cheating jeopardizes the physical and emotional wellbeing of the person he loves most, Bay.

Perhaps Emmett could have made a mistake other than cheating that would have offered a similar conflict for his character. It would be interesting to have explored Emmett's insecurities instead of jumping headfirst into a cheating storyline.
She came off like it was an “Oh well, he just did it” attitude and it struck me as odd. Add to that Vanessa saying she was happy she kept it a secret and even Vanessa describes it as kind of sadistic, I don’t know. Feels off.

I think perhaps it would have been better to explore Emmett getting into some trouble that physically harmed Bay. He’d still live with the guilt and we could have had Bay take a break from him and the drama, but there wouldn’t have been as much as a betrayal on her end.

Last edited by Slayerfan714; 05-04-2013 at 06:25 PM
Old 05-04-2013, 07:02 PM
Addicted Fan

'he just did it' and don't forget, 'he's a teenage boy'

yeah thanks for that explanation LW.

Quote:
Exactly to both points. When you do a storyline like this, it doesn’t help the ratings. And it continues not to help when you don’t at least let them have more than one conversation.
there's a part of me that is hoping they are saving a really deep emotional talk for later down the line when they are closer to getting back together.

but i'll keep my expectations low.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:17 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerfan714 (View Post)
Yes, I agree with both of you on that point. It is tragic that they have not allowed Emmett & Bay to talk. It kills what could be accomplished with this storyline. And to show such a few scenes with Emmett is a travesty.

When I am feeling particularly generous to the writers, I tell myself that Emmett & Bay have not been able to communicate about what happened because of their language barriers, but truthfully, that's a cop-out. Highlighting the language barriers and giving them scenes together to work through them would have been the best drama of all, and the writers have chosen not to go there. It should have happened in Season 2A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerfan714 (View Post)
I think perhaps it would have been better to explore Emmett getting into some trouble that physically harmed Bay. He’d still live with the guilt and we could have had Bay take a break from him and the drama, but there wouldn’t have been as much as a betrayal on her end.
Yes, I would like that storyline, as well. Emmett could have been "smashing" things and driven dangerously on his motorcycle or he could have been drinking and done something irresponsible that injured Bay. There is so much Emmett could have been forced to overcome in order to make his relationship with Bay work (his discomfort of being with hearing people, his mother's overbearing protectiveness, Daphne's jealousy, his Deaf friends' negativity to Emmett dating a hearing girl, Emmett's insecurity over their class differences, Emmett's insecurity over Ty, etc.). I would have loved to have seen these possibilities explored.

Oh, well....
Old 05-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the new thread, Alyssa.

Quote:
'he just did it' and don't forget, 'he's a teenage boy'

yeah thanks for that explanation LW.
Oh please. I swear, if cheating gets excused one more time because of 'gender' ....

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrhmLz (View Post)
Thanks for the new thread, Alyssa.

Oh please. I swear, if cheating gets excused one more time because of 'gender' ....
Sometimes things the writers believe will help ratings seem to backfire. I sure do hope the ratings are good for this coming summer season of Switched at Birth, though.

I keep wondering how the new ABC Family show will do, and if Bunheads and/or The Lying Game will be renewed.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:05 PM
Elite Fan

I think extensive drama tends to turn people off. I can't take it when a show just is too depressing.

Hopefully SAB will better or relatively the same as it did in the winter.

IIRC, Twisted pulled in a .5 during it's special airing in March, but I don't think it was heavily promoted.

The Lying Game may have a shot, but their problem is a lot of the actors' contracts are up and it's hard to tell them to stick around when they don't know for sure if they'll get picked up.

I think Bunheads is done though. They never got the audience they needed. It probably would have done better on a more adult network. A lot of Bunheads fans came over because of Gilmore Girls.

I just want Switched to stick around a while longer. I try not to get worried when they keep announcing new shows, but they greenlit Chasing Life and Ravenswood. I'm hoping that it's just that they are trying to extend ABCFamily's schedule to be year round, but the more shows on a network, the more money it costs to produce them all and the shows that perform poorly will be cut.

I think they could get another two-three seasons here, but it's difficult because they break it up into these mini seasons of 10-12 episodes. I'd be happy if they made it to 100 episodes. That would probably bring us to 2016, a solid five seasons. I think that's a good number.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:25 PM
Addicted Fan

i only hope that when abc family decides to axe it, they give tptb plenty of time to wrap it up.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I agree about the drama aspect. Too much drama can be a turn off because it becomes too depressing and you get stuck in a land of denial, in what 'rightfully' could have been for the better. I swear, lol, that's why fanficiton is so popular, because it becomes a release for the ways in which the writing on shows completely messed up. I can honestly say there have been some shows {*roswell, cough*} where I ended up liking it's fanfiction more than most of the actual show, and consider it more 'canon' because it's truer to the characters that were initially created.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Elite Fan

^ Exactly.

I live in fanfiction world for Bay & Emmett currently. I don't care if it's too fluffy for some people. This show gives them to much angst. I need my fluff. And to me, it is canon.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^ Understandable.

I can take fluff but I usually like it mixed inside of a good story or plot that is flowing, but one that is still being true to the characters. By the end of the story, I find I'm usually pretty satisifed because I ended up enjoying the best of both worlds ~ enjoyable relationship|characters and a good plot.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Elite Fan

Agreed.

Above all, a good story is what I like. But it helps when my ship is sailing smooth.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:07 PM
Master Fan

Seems like I once read (or saw on television) that Switched at Birth chooses to film in Santa Clarita in the hopes of receiving tax credits. It looks as though they have won that lottery for a second year in a row. If the ratings hold, perhaps we will receive our seasons 3, 4, and 5. That's what I am hoping!

This news might be good for both Switched at Birth and Bunheads:

'Entourage' Movie Among 31 Projects Approved for California Tax Credits

‘Entourage’ Pic, ‘Pretty Little Liars’ Among California Film Tax Credit Selections | Variety

Quote:
A total of 31 productions have been selected to receive California’s Film and Television Tax Credit — 14 features, 14 basic cable TV series and three movies of the week — including the “Entourage” movie and “Pretty Little Liars.”

Notable feature selections in the lottery conducted by the California Film Commission include Lava Bear Film’s “Intrusion, “Purge 2″ and Lionsgate’s “The Wash.” Significant TV selections include “Bunheads,” “Dirty Laundry,” “Franklin and Bash,” “Justified,” “Major Crimes,” “Murder in the First,” “Perception,” “Rizzoli & Isles,” “Switched at Birth” and “Teen Wolf.”

California producers submitted 380 applications for the state’s latest round of California’s Film and Television Tax Credit — up 18% from last year’s 327 submissions.

“The record number of applications this year serves as affirmation that the production industry wants to stay at home in California,” said exec director Amy Lemisch. “But tax credits now drive much of the decision making process, and sadly many projects that weren’t selected to receive California credits will be shot elsewhere.”

Other selections this year include feature projects “Bordering on Love,” “The Dating Game Killer,” “Havenhurst,” “The Meddler,” “Mission Blacklist,” “Shangri-La Suite” and “Sweetwater.” TV series selections include “Hit the Floor,” “Lost Angels” and “King & Maxwell.” TV movies include “Babycakes,” “Cloudy with a Chance of Love” and “Roll with It.”

Past recipients of the credit include Oscar Best Picture winner “Argo,” “Gangster Squad,” Halle Berry indie feature “The Hive” and TV series “Body of Proof.” At least five TV series that had previously received the credit — “Rizzoli & Isles,” “Pretty Little Liars,” “Perception,” “Switched at Birth” and “Teen Wolf” — continued to do so in the new round.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Elite Fan

I saw that

It's definitely better for us than Bunheads though. While it certainly helps, I saw it mentioned somewhere that Jane By Design won it and it was canceled. I think it has more to do with ratings in the decision to keep a show.

But right now we're second in the network

I think we'll definitely get a season 3 renewal. As for the future, we'll have to see. I think it's cool though that after 2B we're halfway to 100. Actually, 2B will make the total episodes come out to 51, so 49 more!

It would be nice if season 3 could get a 22-23 episode order, but I'll take another 20.

If it was 20, that would mean after season 3 we'd have 71 episodes. If it did go to season 5 it would more than likely reach over 100. I think Secret Life ended with 121.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:36 AM
New Fan

Well, that can't be bad news, can it? Number 2 in the network is a pretty good position. Just out of curiosity, what is first?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:38 AM
Elite Fan

Pretty Little Liars